'Hollyoaks' tackle Gender Dysphoria

Place to discuss the FTM character in Hollyoaks British (UK) Teen Soap Drama
snowdoggy

'Hollyoaks' tackle Gender Dysphoria

Postby snowdoggy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Hollyoaks producers are to tackle of one of only remaining taboos in soapland as a new member of the Costello clan will suffer from Gender Identity Disorder (GID).

Soaps newcomer Victoria Atkin, 23, will take on the role of Jasmine Costello, who arrives in the village having spent the summer at a camp in America. While Heidi's (Kim Tiddy) delighted to have her daughter back home, it quickly transpires that she is hiding a huge secret.

Soon after returning to the family fold, Jasmine's clandestine double life is revealed when her male alter ego Jason emerges as a prominent and overbearing part of her world.

GID - or Gender Dysphoria as it is also known - is when a person is born as one sex but has a desperate desire to be the other, dressing up and acting like the opposite sex in the hope that it will become reality.

Jasmine's journey will highlight the mental trauma, physical disgust and ongoing frustration of a boy trapped in a girl's body, as well as the effects that her condition has on those around her.

Read more here:-
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/h ... horia.html

This is not a programme that I watch but may be of interest to others. I don't think that any of the soaps have had an ftm character before to my knowledge.

John
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Cassie

Re: 'Hollyoaks' to tackle Gender Dysphoria

Postby Cassie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:32 pm

I used to catch the last half of Hollyoaks quite regularly when cooking and waiting for C4 news (too much routine :roll: ) - they seem to handle things quite sensitively and have a track record of dealing with difficult subjects. I worry a little for the actress as who knows where the story will go... :shock:

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 am

saw this in't paper today....v.good i say! :)
...resistance is textile...

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:33 am

yeah they had a cd but they bottled it with that and i think the actor had had enough only ever so a dress once i think :)

this however may have some legs and especially as its ftm so fingers crossed on that one

keep your ears and eyes peeled and if anyone acn flag when this story is about to start let us know

thanks

IM
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:39 am

Atkin is currently filming at the soap's home in Liverpool and will make her screen debut at the beginning of August.
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “HollyOaks Transgender Forum”