Blessing Chambers Hollyoaks Transgender Storyline Blog.

Place to discuss the FTM character in Hollyoaks British (UK) Teen Soap Drama
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Jo Martin Actress Hollyoaks Transgender Storyline Blog.

Postby Ice Maiden » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:40 pm

Hollyoaks
21/08
E4

Blessing's Mum

OK yesterday she was at death's door with septicemia. Today she is home in perfect health. Left Hospital and back jumping for joy.

She immediately noticed the Kitchen drawers have no sharp objects in them and gets angry with Dennis.

Dennis - I am sorry but I have never had to deal with anything like this before and just want to make sure you will be OK.

Imagee4

Blessing - I am fine Dennis - NO THANKS TO YOU! (sarcastically).

Dennis - What does that mean?

Blessing - If you had not gone blabbing to the neighbours (of her mum's old address) my mum wouldn't even be here would she?

Dennis - I was trying to 'elp.

Imagee4

Maxine - Blessing he means well you know. And he does have a point ['He does have a point when talking about sharps? Freudian slip - Proofread!? IM Eds.] you did have a day from hell!

Blessing - It's no biggie, my mum said she didn't want to have anything more to do with me. Believe me the feeling is completely mutual.

(BELL RINGS) It's Blessing's mum!

[Comment - Now at last I feel this actress has brought in some real oomph to the proceedings this actress Petula Delaney (Jo Martin) is very good and what a CV! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Martin, a strong and powerful, and most importantly believable performance! congrats to casting her on this! She has rescued this plot in the nick of time!]

Petula (Blessing's Mum) - I want to speak to my son!

Imagee4

Maxine - You mean your daughter.

Petula - Don't start all this nonsense again! I have a son! And I want to talk to him.

Dennis - Right, Blessing is a beautiful woman, I am not having you upsetting her, she has been through enough!

Petula - Haven't we all?!

Maxine - Dennis, I think you should tell Blessing her mum's here. Drink?

Dennis goes upstairs to find Blessing.

Petula - (looks around like the house is a disgrace) - I'll pass thanks!

Maxine - I know this must be really difficult for you.

Petula - Difficult?! I have just found out my son's mentally ill!

Imagee4

Maxine - Blessing is not mentally ill!

Petula - (WHO IS A BRILLIANTLY INTIMIDATING MATRIARCH HERE!) - Oh really?! So why is he slashing up his arms?!

Imagee4

Maxine - Because 'she(!)' is really unhappy!

Imagee4

Petula - And dressing up in women's clothes is gonna help that is it?

Imagee4

Maxine - You'll understand more once you've spoken to her.

Dennis comes down and we have this clearly intimidating moment -

Imagee4

Dennis - She doesn't want to see yah! I can't say I blame her.

Imagee4

Petula - At least I tried.

Imagee4

Maxine - Wait! (Pregnant Pause) ... I go and see if I can change her mind.

Dennis - What you doing?

Imagee4

Maxine - They need to sort this out Dennis! ... And they are not going to do that if they are not speaking..Are they?!

(Blessing sheepishly comes down the stairs)

Imagee4

Blessing - Just say what you have to then go!

Petula - I have no intention of saying anything until you change out of those ridiculous clothes!

Blessing - (Sighs) - See, told you it was a waste of time!

Petula - I can't believe you are standing there in a dress - like it is normal! If it wasn't so disgusting it would be comical!

Maxine - Trapped in the wrong body your whole life? See I don't see the funny side of that!

Dennis - Can't you see how much you're hurting her?

Petula - Would you stop saying 'her'! The person standing in front of me is my son! Tyson!

Maxine - Tyson ... doesn't exist anymore.

[Transition for many does not mean the non-existence of ho they were anymore than childhood no longer exists if one becomes and adult - it is a progressive issue. Many including myself have not changed at all. Just had a bit of 'work' done :) So this, 'Your son has died' is unnecessary fear mongering, 'your son was always a girl but you just couldn't see it' maybe a better route. IM EdsThis next line actually made me chuckle as the mother looks around as if she is in some asylum!].

Petula - This is madness! You are all as bad as each other!

Imagee4

Then in a finger click Petula turns sinister - great performance!

Imagee4

Petula - Now if you don't get up them stairs, and change into some proper clothes, I'll drag you up there myself!

Blessing cowers slightly in fear.

Maxine - (Who has recently been abused by her fiance') - No you won't! Have you any idea how hard this is on Blessing? To finally be the person she really is, only to have her own mother call her disgusting.

Petula - It is! (Disgusting) And (pointing to Dennis) so is he! (for being with 'Tyson' dressed as a woman)

Maxine - Nah! You know what she is? ...

Imagee4

... She is the bravest woman I am lucky enough to ever have met! I have spent the last year trying to be somebody I wasn't! Keeping secrets and being scared to tell people what was going on and how I really felt, and believe me, living your life like that, wears you down, it makes it hard to fight back to being the person you really are. I only had that for 12 months, but Blessing had it her whole life, God only knows how she feels. I saw how hurt you were when Dennis said she wouldn't see yah - well here she is! The least you can do is talk to her! C'mon Dennis these two are not going anywhere until they fix it!

Later...

Petula to Blessing (NOW ALONE) - We lost our minds when you disappeared! Not to mention most of our money trying to find yah! Did you know at one point, the police found a body?

Imagee4

Blessing - Wot?

Imagee4

Petula - Your dad had to go and identify it. I can't tell you what that done to him. It nearly destroyed us!

Blessing - Sorry.

Petula - Then you walk back into my life and expect me to be happy that you are a transvestite?

Blessing - I am not a transvestite, I am a transsexual!

[This is always a problem - as it creates a Transsexual 'elite' as in Transsexuals are serious about this and transvestites are not, and are more weird, I would have avoided this line! After all what does it matter? The abuse is the same and many in early transition are abused. They are rarely asked 'if they are TS or not' before hand IM, Eds]

Petula - Same difference?

Blessing - There is no point is there? You are never gonna get it.

Petula - Get why my son wants to be my daughter?... No I won't!

Blessing Did you ever wonder why I went off the rails like I did? Get into all that trouble? It was cos I was so Angry!

Petula - Every teenage boy is angry.

Blessing - Not for the reason I was.

[Not every trans teenager misbehaves - I know plenty of trans*people who have never been arrested or been in trouble in their lives. IM, Eds]

Petula - What about all those girls you went out with?

Blessing - What girls?

Petula - Those that lived in the flats? Her dad worked in a supermarket? What was her name? Maria?

Imagee4

Blessing - I never went out with Maria.

Petula - But you were always together.

Imagee4

Blessing - Because I wanted to be her! The girl who knew exactly who she was and what she wanted out of life - the girl I should have been... I know this is hard on you mum, but this is the most happy and content I have ever been!

["Cos I wanted to be her..." My best friend as a child was Mandy (but that's another story :))That was probably the best line so far in the whole series so far - totally on-board with that! IM. Eds]

Petula - (SLIGHT SNARL) So why are you cutting yourself?!

[Fair comment, to be explored. IM, Eds]

Blessing - Please believe me, I didn't mean to cause you and dad any heartache, that's the last thing I wanted to do...

Imagee4

... But life is too short to go back to being someone I'm not. I won't do it, not for you, not for anyone!

Petula - So what happens now?

Blessing - Down to you isn't it!

Imagee4

(Petula picks up her bag and slowly walks to the door she holds her hand out to Blessing, they both weep and embrace - Bridges built!) .

(Later waiting for a cab)

Imagee4

Blessing - Thanks for understanding!

Petula - I wouldn't go that far! But I am trying.

Imagee4

Blessing - I was thinking. I might come and see you next week?

Petula - I am not sure that's such a good idea?

Blessing - Why?

Petula - Well your dad has got a lot on his plate at the moment. What with work and everything else.

Blessing - You are still ashamed of me aren't you?

Imagee4

Petula - No.

Blessing - You are. Aren't you?

(Taxi revs engine).

Imagee4

Dennis comes over - Taxi's here!

Dennis to Blessing - You alright?

Blessing - Never felt better!

(Petula climbs into the cab and leaves).

(Later back at the house Blessing and Dennis are sitting together on the sofa).

Imagee4

Blessing to Dennis - You're amazing you know? For standing by me through all this.

Dennis - I'm not going anywhere alright? Now you know you said you were ... You were going to stop cutting yourself? You meant it didn't yah?

Blessing - Course I did!

Dennis - Cos if you keep doing it, they are never gonna let you have 'the operation'.

['the operation' has become something like Voldemort or 'The Island!' In that it is this something that is said but not really said. IM. Eds].

Blessing - I know that.

Imagee4

Dennis - And if you ever feel like that again, y... you know you can talk to me. And if you don't want to talk to me.

Imagee4

Please talk to somebody else?

Blessing - Its over. I don't need to do it anymore I've got you now.

Dennis - That's it (cuddles) Come here.

Later...

(Dennis knocks the bathroom door).

Dennis - Tea'll be ready in five!

Blessing - Thanks!

Dennis - Don't thank me yet love, I misread the instructions on the box, instead of microwave for 5 minutes, I did it for 15! So I hope you like your spaghetti crunchy?!

Blessing - I am sure it will be fine (in a heightened pant),

Imagee4

[This almost sexual orgasmic face and sexual frisson cutting her arms could trigger people to try it! IM. Eds]

(As she is high on endorphins as she cuts and blood splatters in the basin).

Imagee4

[ENDS]

Phew!!!

I need a week off too!

Comment

There is a good reason why we had to wait 2 weeks for all this to be filmed and this was why - it was almost a play in itself! But definitely duologue.

You know if you play sport against a really good team you tend to play better?

This happens before our very eyes tonight. The Dennis and Blessing characters are left wanting in this plot so far.

But tonight this was carried well by Maxine (played by Nikki Sanderson) and Petula (Jobbing actress Jo Martin), I think they have raised the bar a little here. And it is like trying to keep up with a marathon runner when you just don't have it in you.

The last time I saw something similar was when John Hurt was acting with Matt Smith in Doctor Who. You just get the feeling they are a little in awe. And improve their own performance. With what can become a mini tour de force!

Jo was very subtle, like simmering disgust. Even when she 'accepted' the situation there was a tangible holding back.

Great to watch. I think she can only have a positive influence on the cast, and I have little doubt they will learn a thing or too from her here. No 'smell the fart acting' tonight! ( Joey from 'Friends' joke about soap actors tips and tricks).

So although the pace of Blessing's recovery was a tad silly. And again this has turned from a transgender storyline into self-harm issue, it was a pretty good episode! Credit where credit is due. The problem is Mum has gone home again. And Blessing is in the bathroom bleeding and cutting her arms once more.

This to me is suddenly more about self-harm. Which is a very important issue in itself. It needn't have been bolted onto an already complex transgender storyline. Attaching it to trans issues is a mistake I feel.

Many people do self-harm. But it is not something all trans*people do. Again, any parent watching this may be under the assumption that because their child does not self-harm then they are unlikely to be trans then. "Mum I am trans!" "Don't be silly they cut their arms! You don't!" This could in fact create self-harm, as they might cut to prove they are trans - if you see what I mean?

'Hollyoaks' is not a documentary, it is entertainment. It has real continuity problems - usually the pace at which things happen in a medical setting. But Blessing's Mum is great! But then again she is perfectly cast!

I don't normally score individual episodes, but I felt a rare 5 stars from me for this was well deserved! Worth watching here is the link!

Image 5/5 TZ Stars - Excellent!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hollyoaks/4od
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Blessing Chambers Hollyoaks Transgender Storyline Blog.

Postby Ice Maiden » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 pm

Hollyoaks
09/09/14
e4

Blessing is back. After a 2 week break from filming.

So here is what happened in a nutshell.

She needs a job as she is a struggling law student. Riddled with student debt.

"Who are you my father?!" Face drops when she uses this line against Dennis saying she has to get a job. Her father #OBVS is an issues in her life atm.

She needs a job, she asks Dennis if she can work at his 'Emporium' second hand shop. But he manages to get her a job at the local bar that just happens to be short staffed.

Imagee4

In this image at the end of the show. she winks at the employer and says 'Not if I see you first!'

Cuts to Dennis laughing along with her for flirting.

Imagee4

Imagee4

Dennis laughing shows he is now secure about his relationship with Blessing I suppose.

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Hollyoaks
10/09/14
e4

Outed again!

So Blessing lands this job in a bar in Hollyoaks. To be fair everyone and their aunty will have known about her by now. An ant farted a street away and everyone heard :D :thumbup: :clap: :lol:

But for some reason her new employer is in the dark.

"Its Cocktail night so you better hone up on some recipes!"

Imagee4

Blessing (EXCITED) - HELLLOOOO! You are looking at the best 'mixologist in town, so what would you like?

"Surprise me!"

Imagee4

Blessing flirts again with him - "In my experience men take cocktails like their women! For you I am guessing, HOT AND FIERY! WITH PLENTY OF SPICE! AND SOMETHING CREAMY! TO GO DOWN REAL SMOOTH!

Imagee4

(THEY EXCHANGE FURTIVE GLANCES)

His missus comes in and catches them flirting...

"Anymore of that talk and I'll be the one kicking off!

He then laughs - "It is just Banter."

"Fancy her do yah?!"

"No, punters will!"

Imagee4

"You do realise you are chatting up a bloke!"

(He laughs) "Bloke?"

"Yeah!"

Imagee4

(BLESSING'S FACE DROPS A MILE).

"Your sexy new barmaid is transgender babe!"

"She's packing more than you think!"

(He looks confused and a bit lost and troubled and Blessing doesn't know where to look).

Imagee4

Later... Blessing goes to her office...

Imagee4

Blessing - "THANKS FOR THAT! IF YOU ARE GOING TO ANNOUNCE THAT IN A CROWDED BAR I MIGHT AS WELL RESIGN NOW!"

"Well I don't like my man eying up other women!"

Blessing - "What have you got to be so insecure about eh?""You've got it all!"

"Except the bit that counts!" (meaning a child).

Blessing - "I know how that feels!" "I mean Dennis is great, but I still wake up scared! Wondering if today's the day, his patience finally runs out."

"Well maybe you and me have got more in common than I thought?! Trevor wants kids! And I can't even bring myself to take a pregnancy test! Who needs em'? BRATS! Its all ME ME ME! With Kids!""And for being kept awake all night I will leave that to Trevor!"

Blessing - "What about that unconditional love bit?"

"Its overrated!""If you are looking for that buy a Chihuahua! Girls like us, we've gotta make the best of what we've got!

Blessing - "Oh you are looking at it Girlfriend!"

"You are very convincing!"

[I should hope so she is cis ;) Eds.]

Blessing - "I'm convincing?""You're the one putting up a front! Listen, if you have got the love to give to a baby. You deserve to have one. Believe in yourself and it will happen.

Imagee4

"That's enough of the new age claptrap. That's if you still work here?

(Blessing turns as she leaves for the bar to carry on working) - "I'll let you off this time..."

Imagee4

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Blessing Chambers Hollyoaks Transgender Storyline Blog.

Postby Ice Maiden » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:02 am

Hollyoaks
22/10
e4

So Blessing and Dennis return after a bit of a break.

As an aside, it has been confirmed that the actor who plays Dennis (Blessing's Boyfriend) has finished filming his final scenes for the soap. Where that leaves Blessing remains to be seen I guess. But most transgender characters do tend to struggle beyond their initial 'shock/transitional 'Trans-currency value. After all once you normalise a trans person I guess they'd just as well hire a cisperson, as what is the point? More on that later...

This same life-span applied to their last character Trans*man Jason Costello shown here -
viewforum.php?f=48 well his time in the soap was far more intense and far better story-lined along with many many twists and turns along the way, the irony being I was cynical about that until now I realise just how bloody good it was! Victoria Atkin was awarded that year in our Television Awards btw. Of course it was possible that Victoria Atkin could have been a transitioning trans male teen, It is impossible for Blessing to be a transsexual woman - if that makes any sense? The role of Jason lasted about 18 months. Blessings trans' role looks like it will be less than half that.

Anyways, for now we do have a leaked image of Paris Lees talking to Blessing in the street being filmed for a cameo (it certainly looks like Blessing from the back viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4507) there clearly is more to come, as we are just over 2 months behind their filming schedule (for obvious production/editing reasons it is not filmed live like Big Brother 'Live from the House' ;)).

Of course Dennis may depart, and Blessing may stay - after all, she is already a cisgirl so not a lot of surgery required really ;). Where as Victoria Atkin (who payed Jason) clearly did not want to take Testosterone to play a male in a drama of course, so they had to find a way for the actress to leave the series - in Jason's case by going to America. Yeah that's about far enough ;)

Anyways back to tonight episode!

It is the anniversary of the of Dennis' deceased wife's death - Leanna. And Blessing unknowingly sold her belongings that Dennis kept as a keepsake.

Imagee4

Blessing to Dennis with Trevor also in the shop - "Sorry but we get such weird stock how was I to know?!"

Dennis says that he didn't like the idea of someone walking about in his dead wife's clothes, Blessing only managed to get back half of what she had got rid of.

Dennis storms out.

They then visit her grave.

Imagee4

Whilst they are there they see another character (her employer Trevor who runs the bar) speaking to the a gravestone of someone he murdered. Thus setting up the plot perhaps for Dennis' exit? The twist of course is he killed Dennis' wife - it is her plot!

[Looks more like he is peeing on it, Eds :lol: ]

Later he remarks that at least he saw someone remembered her anniversary and paid his respect...

Imagee4

Sinead (In the BAR) "Guilt more like!"

Dennis - "What?!"

Imagee4

Sinead - "Listen Dennis, you seem to have got your life back on track! So go and enjoy your drink with your nice girlfriend, (HOLDS HIS ARM CONCERNED) Please! If he knew we were talking like this!"

Imagee4

Dennis - "My wife died, was murdered a year ago today , you were the one who brought that bomb to the party remember! I didn't know it was a bomb and you know that! Yeah but you DO owe me the truth! What has Trevor got to do with any of this? (Sinead refuses to reply), OK forget it, I will just ask him myself."

Sinead - (FEARING FOR DENNIS' SAFETY) - "Dennis it was his!!!"

Dennis (STOPS AND LOOKS AROUND).

Sinead - "It was his - It was Trevor's Bomb!" [OUTLOUD IN A BAR AS YOU DO AND NOBODY OVERHEARS?! STRANGE WORLD SOAPLAND IS! Eds].

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/h ... tated.html

"Dennis has an angry showdown with the village's gangsters after discovering that Trevor was partly responsible for the death of his wife Leanne in last year's Hollyoaks Blast.""

Above in the link Joe Tracini who plays the character of Dennis spills the beans on what is about to come and of course by proxy it will affect Blessing too. But what is coming is perhaps going to allow Blessing to stand back a little and allow Dennis his moment?

He name checks 'All About Trans' in the interview towards the end of it when he mentions that it will be sad to see this storyline come to an end "Hollyoaks joker Dennis Savage features in dramatic scenes next week as he threatens to blow up Trevor Royle and Grace Black's flat.

About Dennis and Blessing

Q - Is there a part of you that's sad to see the Dennis and Blessing story end?
A - "Absolutely. It's one of those storylines I felt a real responsibility with, because you're talking about things that people really are going through. I took that really seriously right from the beginning. "We did a lot of workshops with a group called All About Trans, which is a support network for people going through that at whatever stage. When you're dealing with an issue that people could be struggling with, I think you have a responsibility not to scr*w it up. I am sad that we'll be finishing that, because it is very important and it's been nice to be involved in that."

Q - Would you say it's been making a positive impact?
A - "Very much so from what I've heard. It was important to do it as realistically as possible. You do have a tendency on shows like these to go bigger and more brash, but here it was important to keep it real and I think we've succeeded in that to the best of our ability."

Q - Would you like to return to the show at some point?
A - "I'd like the door to be left open. It might not be left open - Dennis might die in a freak farmyard accident, but I won't hold your breath on that one! Personally I'd like it to be left open because you never know what will happen, and I'm pretty sure

I'd prefer to come back to Hollyoaks than go to I'm A Celebrity!"

Q - What are your hopes for the future?
A - "As long as I keep breathing I'm happy! I don't set the bar high, to be honest with you! As long as I'm in a position where I can genuinely be a happy person, then that's enough for me."

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Hollyoaks
23/10
e4

Dennis gets angry and goes around to Trevor's and whilst Trevor is upstairs he decides to do the same to him as what he did to his wife.

So he turns the gas on and waits.

Trevor comes downstairs and he confesses.

Blessing comes in in tears saying that Dennis had promised her he would not do anything silly.

Imagee4

Dennis to Trevor - "You killed the love of my life!!!"

Trevor said that was not meant to happen...

Then Dennis' dad turns up - he has not seen him for years! Blessing had done this behind his back.

Imagee4

Dennis' dad then makes a bit of a meal about how Dennis now has a BEAUTIFUL girlfriend and he needs to move on...

Imagee4

Dennis' Dad - "This smart beautiful girl, who clearly loves you with every fibre of her being, is still right here!"

However, unlike Blessing's Mum (see a few weeks back), you don't always see the maturity in the older actors and they can basically 'overact' their cameos can often show their 'complete range' in the short time they have. Sometimes one eyebrow moving can do it (Blessing's mum just looked around arrogantly and tutted and she needed to do no more!). Unlike stage where you cannot see that. Television allows actors to speak more quietly and calmly, to use their facial expressions in a less intense way. Sometimes we see young actors in soaps perform as if they are on stage - probably due to stage-schools or local AMDRAM. Waving arms about and 'projecting' is essential in Shakespearean performance so you can see the emotion from 10 rows back in a theatre. But on camera this can look a tad overdone. Although they can now be miked-up (with their Countrymans), the truth is their faces are still too far away!

Imagee4

Imagee4

Blessing and Dennis do tend to 'ham it up a bit' [yesss] I guess that is part of the cartoon charm of the show.

Imagee4
['HAM'DRAM, Eds]e4

PS Dennis makes it up with his dad...Bridges being built.

Tip of the week re underplaying a role to the point where it is menacing and an enigma - look no further than Cillian Murphy in 'Peaky Blinders'. (PS he also played a trans woman in 'Breakfast on Pluto').

Now that is what we need - if only Cillian was a trans man! We would have something to really shout about! But give it time and hopefully we will find that level of transgender actor in the future. For now we have to expect cisgirls to wave their arms around and cis writers to tell them what to do - again we need a transgender Spike Lee and FAST! I guess... :shrugs:

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “HollyOaks Transgender Forum”