The beginning....

Drew79

The beginning....

Postby Drew79 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi everyone

Just wanted some advice about what I can expect from the Nhs please.

I've finally taken the decision that I want to do something about my dysphoria. I've made the first step of making a GP appointment and I'm going to explain I'm trans and want referring to a GIC (my nearest being Leeds). But how long will it take after that? Will my GP refer me straight away? If so how long will referral to an appointment at GIC take? Anyone have any experience with the Leeds clinic?

I'm eager to get going and ultimately I'd like to go onto hormones. I just want a general idea of timelines to treatment etc. I've searched online but advice from those who have been there, particularly in Leeds area would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks :)

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

JustMe

Re: The beginning....

Postby JustMe » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi Drew,

You are very welcome to read my blog. I am currently in the Care Pathway with Leeds and I have kept a running blog since I first decided that I needed to transition. There's a lot there to read, but grab a coffee, sit down and read - I'm sure that most of your questions will be answered there. Hope this helps.

Here's a link to it:-

http://premium.transgenderzone.com/foru ... c9afd07133

Kerry x.
Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world right in the eye.--Helen Keller

Take the Bull by the Horns - Face a difficulty and grapple with it without avoiding it.

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyse you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.--Bernice Johnson Reagon

MTF (as long as I can remember)
52 years young :D

JENNYJET

Postby JENNYJET » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Hello, as a post-op, may I wish you the very best of luck and as easy a transition that your circumstances permit. It is going to be circumstances that dictate how you progress and at what speed. One thing should be made absolutely clear is that for you, it shall never be quick enough. For every candidate patient it is never quick enough.

In my own experience, transition was very easy relative to some very challenging medical and disability concerns and my sole human/no relatives baggage. My problems began as a post-op patient on the ward and followed me to this day.

As indicated, I have medical issues unique to me and every patient will have issues unique to themselves.

The beginning of transition has the ability to enclose one into a bubble of invincibility, it was for me as I was impervious to any negativity, but the day came when I had to submit to the authority of the Gender Identity Clinic at Charing Cross, and the long drawn out protocols they employ.

I consider CXGIC to be a fine establishment, they served me well and I have no complaints. This is because I allowed myself to be directed by those charged with my care and best interests even if I did not like it at the Time.

Drew, you asked the question and thank you but I have to respond honestly relative to my own experience. For you and others it may be trouble free but it is highly unlikely.

Transition is more than what the NHS has to offer, it is all about how you choose to handle transition because it shall be a unique journey for you as there is no written guide book. You shall need to deal with family, friends, personal documents, employers, moods, opinions and basic hostility from those that do not understand you.

As to that over drawn question of clothing, I admit at times the clothes mattered but now it matters not a jot because I have found my happy place living in a country location whereby a skirt is most unsuitable and probably unwise. I found my place and that problem dissolved unnoticed. Jeans, wellies and a waxed coat and I am recognized as female without question. The point here is that what to expect is not possible to describe generally because each patient is unique and I expect, as should you, the NHS shall do whatever it can for you and any candidate patient for Gender Reassignment.

Ooops! I have no experience of Leeds but I hope something of my essay! May be of help.

Drew79

Postby Drew79 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Thanks Kerry and Jenny for replies. Really helpful :)

Kerry when I try to go to your blog it asked for premium login. How do I get that?

Many thanks :)

Christine

Postby Christine » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:03 pm

You can also find Kerry's blog here which doesn't need a Premium account to view, though talking of which, once you've got a few more posts under your belt you can PM Ice Maiden to ask about that...

Return to “Agony (registered users only)”