UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Dec 2013

Every month we list UK programmes the feature transgender issues good and bad. If you work in the media this is a must see monthly list.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Dec 2013

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:33 pm

So here we go doesn't time fly!

So here we go again, what is broadcast in the UK reflects on you as a transperson. Every month it is a case of spot the positives. Almost all television featuring anything remotely associated with transpeople is negative, comical or are negative stereotypes.

High Points
BBC Radio 1's Stories

Low points
Royal Variety and British Comedy Awards and anything with Alan Carr and Keith Lemon in it. [GROAN].

Don't forget our Soap storyline Archives
viewforum.php?f=16

And what has been happening to Hayley in Coronation St .
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1441&start=10#p16796

All the following clips have been archived for evidential purposes should they be needed.

---

My Super Ex-Girlfriend
01/12
E4

Screwball comedy about a man who must suffer the consequences when he breaks up with his girlfriend - consequences that are magnified by the fact that she has superpowers and is not afraid to use them to wreak revenge on him.

Comment

Second Airing for this comedy staring Eddie Izzard as 'The Baddie' (who turns goodie in the end :))

---

The Change
06/12
BBC Radio 4 Ex

When a Man Loves a Woman: Ken comforts Carol, who despairs over transvestite hubby George. Stars Lynda Bellingham and Chris Ellison. From December 2001. Episode 6 of 6.

Comment

The end of a good series but again it was made in 2001!

---

The IT Crowd
'Moss and the German'
03/12
E4

Starring - Chris O'Dowd/Katherine Parkinson/Richard Ayoade/Matt Berry.

Sitcom set in an IT department, written by Father Ted's Graham Linehan and produced by The Office's Ash Atalla. Worried that his life is stagnating, Moss enrols on a German cookery course. Jen discovers that the only place in the building where she can now enjoy a cigarette is a smoking area not unlike Soviet Russia.

Comment

The Boss to Roy - when trying to work out the twist in the movie Roy wants to watch without a spoiler. "I'll bet he's a woman, that bloke!"

So a rare FTM trans gag. Seriously though this show with every mention of cross-dressing or transgender issues, mocked them. From the lipstick on Roy after a party, to April (the transsexual) being thrown through a plate glass window to laughs, to this, to joking the boss' wife was a man. To the last ever episode where Moss buys women's slacks. A good show tarnished by scriptwriters ignorant of the trans reality - and it showed.It is possible to be funny about trans issues - but you really have to stop and think about it first! As Stand-up for the week proved this month it is possible to make a very good trans-related satirical joke.

---

One Show
06/12
BBC ONE

Eddie Izzard shows up to promote his tour DVD.

---

Stand Up for the Week
07/12
Channel 4

The topical stand-up show continues. Paul Chowdhry steps up as host with Seann Walsh, Josh Widdicombe and new team members Simon Evans, Romesh Ranganathan and Angela Barnes. [S]

Comment

At last! This show does a non-transphobic gag! Delivered by female comic Angela Barnes. Here is how it went.

"I am sorry to break it to you and this is a little bit seasonal..."
"The British Panto is in decline!"
"Awww"
"It is not surprising pantos are dying out is it?"
"They are not relevant to savvy kids these days are they?"
"They don't make sense to a child these days do they?"
"Let's take 'Aladdin(!) for example"
"Aladdin is set in the middle-east and it has men dressed up as women and women dressed up as men!"
"IN THE MIDDLE-EAST!"
"Yeah where they are famopusly tolerant of cross-dressing!"

Gets a laugh

"How else will we know if Christopher Biggins [famous (or infamous depending on how you see it) Panto Dame] is still alive?!"

This is really good! It is smart non-offensive (even supportive and transpositive), it questions panto as we have in our youtube VLOG (check it out http://www.youtube.com/transgenderzone). And even the human rights of transpeople in the Middle-East, yet in a funny way! It is how comics need to function in stand-up.

A rare compliment for this show - keep it up!

---

The Royal Variety Performance
09/12
ITV1

Comment

As is often the case many comedians who sell their DVDs of their stand-up tours also peddle a few jokes on TV shows from that very same act, to promote them - Eddie Izzard did some material from the 'Force Majeur Tour' on Live at the Apollo last month. Those Christmas DVDs released what seems to be everywhere by comics will also likely be broadcast later in the new year when the festive season is over and they are worth little more than £2 in a bargain basket at the Petrol station.

In this instance we see Jimmy Carr as a guest on The Royal Variety. He comes on mocks dwarfs and trans people then leaves. The few groups that seem to be fair game are available.

In contrast to his actual DVD where he says, he mocks everything thus nothing is left out. The trouble is thats not actually the case. Take This show here. He had, what an hour and a half of material from his standup? And yet of ALL that he just selected this joke! Why would he do that? Why do you think? Here is the comparison.

This is from his actual DVD

Chambers Productions

"My first wife was from Thailand! (11m:35s), no don't laugh it is quite a sad story. My first wife was from Thailand and she died, of testicular cancer! [Big Laughs] Probably the best way to describe it is her twinkle cave was an outie!""I saw a Transvestite in a miniskirt. I thought, "That shows a lot of b@lls!"

and this is what he said on the Royal Variety.

Image itv

"I saw a Transvestitie in a miniskirt - I thought that shows a lot of b@lls!"

Image itv

Audience busting a gut laughing at the transphobia. And now with Royal approval eh?!!!

The truth is Jimmy is just a working man's club comic with a posh voice and a nice suit. If Bernard Manning did the same jokes (and he did) he would be booed off the stage. He is basically Bob Monkhouse but at least Bob had a bit of class! He was a true joke-smith too. They could be twins really. Trivia\: Bob Monkhouse mentions in his autobiography he slept with a transgirl. And that was quite forward to openly say that all those years ago too!

So from this we can glean anything transphobic said in DVDs they sell at Christmas is likely to make it onto the air with the main broadcasters in about 6 months. So the time to raise the issue is now whilst there is time to address it with commissioning editiors. As Jimmy is on a golden handcuffs it seems to Channel 4 then this is where we will hear it next, and likely to be peppered throughout '8 Out of 10 Cats' in 2014 too.

Dame Edna

Also Dame Edna came on, first she pretended she had a seat in the Royal Box and said - "oh I have a better one somewhere else..." and then later did a little song - good grief it was just painful to watch! It just felt they were humouring Barrie Humphries rather than laughing - kinda like pity.

---

The Wright Stuff
11/12
Channel 5

Lively magazine show in which Matthew Wright and guests discuss the topical issues of the day.

Comment

This was the booking to die for.

Matthew had clearly planned the white Bikini routine for the 'I'm a Celebrity' jungle shower (see last month's logs for more on that story and why it was OK). However the white bikini made famous by Myleene Klass (that kinda made her career as we know it today from the humble and a bit shambolic Hear'say beginnings). Well guess who was on the panel (well crafted long con gag this) well none other than Myleene :) Matthew undoes his shirt and says, I still have it on! And she was actually visibly shocked!

Amazing! It is the sheer determination of Matthew to run with this type of thing. It is not a throw-away laugh at a 'tranny' gag like so many other have. It is a well-crafted satirical masterpiece that began weeks ago.

Also Matthew has shown for years that he is by far one of our best trans allies, I mean even David Dimbleby got a tattoo to try and be cool last month. I think Matthew is someone who shows that 'total clothing rights' is fun and to be embraced! He has even worn a skirt for an entire show. And would cross-dress without even worrying about it live on air.

But this is the reaction enjoy it - for once it comes from a great place!

Image Five

Image Five

---

The Simpsons
'To Surveil, With Love'
12/12
Channel 4

To Surveil, With Love: After a bomb squad blows up Homer's gym bag, town officials decide to suspend all civil liberties in Springfield. A brush with prejudice prompts Lisa to dye her hair black.

Comment

Voiced by Eddie Izzard as the person who brings CCTV to Springfield based on the numbers of cameras we have in the UK.

Good fun.

---

British Comedy Awards 2013
12/12
Channel 4

Live on Channel 4, Jonathan Ross hosts the British Comedy Awards. The cream of British comedy converge to celebrate the funniest programmes and personalities of the year. Nominees include Miranda Hart, James Corden, Jo Brand, Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Jack Whitehall, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican.

Comment

Always interesting to see who wins and if they were transphobic in their acts, and the answer is yes all of them!

Particular note

Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse

They win a few awards - not only do a whole routine using 'qu*er' for laughs. But have made some very transphobic comments over the years here is one. It is interesting that they hire a black actor to play African character Parking Pataweyo, but are not so lenient when it comes to transgender stuff.

Here is just one example:

Are you familiar with the Montgomeries"
"Lord Hubert Montgomery?"
"Yes"
"Somewhat against my will i performed a double procedure on both Lord and Lady Montgomery"
"He became She and she became he!"
[...]
"Now the whole family wants to have the same op Henry wants to become Henrietta, Julius, Julietta and Suzanna,Frank.
"They are a very strange bunch the Montgomery's!"
"Absolute Fruit Cakes the lot of them."

Image BBC

It is reinforcing being trans as not only 'easy' but something done on a whim and then finishes with all being mentally ill. Then there are the hideous women they portray.

Eddie Izzard

He turned up to give an award and was well received. Always is!

Lee Mack

But within 5 mins the winner of best sitcom - Lee Mack (BBC) WON.
Well what can I say here are just two examples of Lee in action on the BBC.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3730
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3716
And then he went up to receive the Best Panel Show Award for 'Would I lie to you'. The clip Channel 4 chose out of all the shows they ever made? Guess? Well it was this one!
Would I Lie to You, 10/05/13, BBC ONE, Lee Mack - When I was young I was to to be a bridesmaid at his Aunty's wedding.Then he made a load of jokes about wearing a dress. Unfortunately they chose him for this question. He got a lot of laughs about, "my father was my mother" etc. It was a lie btw.

Best Female

Nina Conti
Nina Conti - the same Nina Conti from Comedy Cuts (ITV2). Nina Conti remarks – “Kiss me monkey! (She replies to herself as she is a ventriloquist) No you look like a f*cking tranny!â€

Relief

Light Comedy of the night went to Noel Fielding. Yeah the same one who said "They look like Transsexual Frank Zappas its terrifying!"in Nevermind the Buzzc0cks or Mighty Boosh's old Greg and his mangina gags. That said at least he laughed with Eddie Izzard. Noel says - "I am representing people who dress like their aunties (he had a flowery smock on) - I mean Eddie Izzard is wearing a suit it is all topsy-turvey..." This was OK as the person - Eddie was there and laughed with it. Very different to when David Walliams mentioned that Eddie was not wearing a dress and got quite nasty about it - that was on Channel 4's Big Fat Quiz of the year...

Alan Carr won an award
Rather than me list all his phobic content here just search him in our search above.

Jack Whitehall won King of Comedy for the second year from the public vote. Only young people vote in these things.
Again easier to search him in our search facility above. As he has said quite a lot of transphobic things. Mostly on Mock the Week and Bad Education (lots of Tranny and misgendering in that) For More on Jack click here - http://tinyurl.com/qh2muxj considering her is a young man this is worrying.

Steve Coogan won the Lifetime Achievement Award

From Pauline Calf to Alan Partridge anyone remember this?
I'm Alan Partridge, 'Watership Alan'.

I was in Bangkok...
A - "Tell me about the Ladyboys!"
"You mean them transsexuals, I have seen them, but they're disgusting I kept away from them.
A -"Fascinating creatures though...Looks like a lady but really it's a man!"
A -"I don't find them attractive it's just confusing!"
A -"I don't suppose you have got any army stories about them?"
"Aye I did hear about this corporal right, and he is in the third battalion this lad. But he's right mean Ok?
A -"Yeah!"
"And he goes out in Bangkok right."
"And all the prostitutes are coming up and saying how much."
"And he says I am not paying that right!"
"And then this beautiful lassie comes up, gorgeous man! She's half the price of the others!"
"And they are getting down to it and he puts his hand up her skirt and gets hold of the old meat and two of veg right!"
"And he thinks I have paid me money I am going to have summit so he flips her over and he fuhk.....
(Lynne Alan's PA walks in).

They are all at it!

Again everyone there apart from Eddie Izzard has a transphobic rap sheet.

And the transsexual comics? Yeah not one! Interesting though that Channel 4 cannot manage one transsexual comedian. That's really a bit sad in 2014.

---

The Radcliffe and Maconie Show
12/13
BBC 6 Music

Mark and Stuart are joined by comedian Eddie Izzard, who has returned from his world tour with a new DVD and a few tales to tell.

---

Alan Carr - Chatty Man
13/12
Channel 4

Comic Alan Carr hosts his own light-hearted chat show. Guests include comedian Seann Walsh, Canadian singer/songwriter Michael Buble and fictional TV presenter Keith Lemon.

Comment

Alan Carr and Keith Lemon together only spells one thing transgender comedy warning. After all that is all Alan has got these days. As our logs show, he is perhaps one of the single reasons Channel 4 have failed in their promise in the Memorandum of Understanding to Trans Media Watch.

In this they talk about Keith Lemon's (Leigh Francis) new series that he took from a format with David Frost.

'Through the Keyhole'.

Alan raises the issue regarding a good guest for the show.

"Alex Reid!"
Keith and Audience laugh...
Alan - "I mean how many red herring would there be in his house?"
Alan - "A jock strap! Some lip-gloss, a boxing glove! A woman's panties! Who the hell's this?!!!

The truth is this only works because he has already said the person is Alex Reid. If you stand back and look at it properly. You would likely say a Boxer and his wife, and would they seriously look through her panty drawer on national television? Maybe, but something just doesn't sit right, when the woman is a 'real one' in their eyes.

This attitude to a trans person being 'fair game' because they live in part as 'men' - I know so many macho men who have or want to transition and created this 'personna' to try and somehow fend off these deep feelings of gender distress.

I suspect Alex is no different. So why are they mocking a transperson on telly for just being trans? Yet they promised here not to? http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news ... erstanding

Alan Carr uses 'Gay Licence' as a defense for his transphobic comments and Keith Lemon is actually using 'transphobia by proxy' of the characters Leigh creates. The defence - "I didn't say it Keith did!" Seems to be the way this works. But that is all nonsense. In the same way if a cartoon character says it, its still scripted and broadcast by men (usually). This is all fake and fantasy. It is 'Show Time', and the excuse used all year long for saying these horrible things.

---

Richard Bacon
16/12
BBC R5 Live

News, sport, topical debate and guests including Eddie Izzard. Plus Bacon's Theory and your emails, texts and tweets. Text: 85058 (charged at your standard message rate). Email: bacon@bbc.co.uk.

Comment

Eddie is everywhere this month promoting his Christmas DVD 'Force Majeur'. But all good fun and lightweight stuff!

---

BBC Radio 1's Stories
16/12
BBC Radio 1

My Transgender Punk Rock Story. Laura Jane Grace, singer with rock band Against Me!, outed herself as a transgender woman in 2012. She tells her story with the help of Paris Lees.

It is a shame that they seem to bus in Paris only when they have something transgender to do? Almost like they are trying to find anything trans to report? So far we have had 'Sexuality Night', Radio 1's 'Hate Debate' and now this.
This may lead to a kinda 'hunt' for trans musicians who would otherwise remain unknown. This at first glance may seem like a boon, but as we know, established famous musicians struggle to get airplay on Radio 1 so my advice would be if you are a struggling musicians - cross-dress ;) It will start to appear to be tokenistic (because they are trans) rather than a genuine acclaim. I know someone trans who can play the spoons but wears a purple wig...

Seriously though, interesting...But give Paris a regular music slot even if it is 3am on Radio 3 - why does she have to just do transgender things? I mean, this is like having 'Grimmy' (Radio 1) only be able to interview white gay men who sing. It is too niche to have any longevity. I just want to see transwomen break out of transdom. As we are kinda trapped by it. And Paris does not need to be, like Nikki Sinclaire MEP, they are socially acceptable enough to satisfy the most ardent critics. So employ them or re-elect them as 'normal' women who just happen to have a trans history ;).

If the BBC cannot do that then, its kinda patronising.

After all how are we ever going to get say a transwoman in children's television presentation? What? They will only be able to read stories to Gender Variant Children? Or a black Kids TV presenter only be able to read to black kids? You can see where I am coming from. It appears to be inclusive but in actual fact it is kinda oppressive. In a month where Mandela dies, transpeople still seem to have some broadcast apartheid going on.

---

Ladyboys
18/12
Pick TV

This thought-provoking documentary continues to explore the world of male-to-female transgender persons, this week meeting western men who have found love with ladyboys. (3/6) [S,AD]

Comment

Fine.
---

CSI - Crime Scene Investigation
18/12
5 USA

Ch-Ch-Changes: Forensic drama series. A roadside murder turns out to be the ultimate case of mistaken identity, and requires the team to explore the world of transsexuals (8/26). [AD,S]

Comment

Search this site its a repeat :)

---

The Simpsons
"He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs"
18/12
Channel 4

After saving Mr Burns from drowning in a water fountain, Homer is rewarded by being treated to a serenade from Lionel Richie and a flight in a private plane. Homer soon becomes depressed after his taste of the high life ends, so Marge decides to hire a life coach.

Comment

Lenny - "I had an aunt who became an uncle - is it like that?" Commenting on Homer's Life Coach suggesting that he wants bowling alley Homer to become everyday homer as that's the only place he feels confident.

Harmless.

---

Ladyboys
19/12
Pick TV

The Men Who Love Ladyboys: Following on from the acclaimed documentary exploring the world of Thailand's ladyboys, this thought-provoking series offers further insight into a sector of Thai society that makes up one per cent of the country's population.

Comment

Repeated every month now!

Fine!

---

Ladyboys
20/12
Pick TV

The Ladyboy Capital of the World: This thought-provoking series explores a sector of Thai society that makes up one per cent of the country's population. Cameras travel to Pattaya, Thailand's sin city. Once a sleepy fishing village, it is now a tourist hotspot and home to the world-famous ladyboy cabaret shows.

Comment

Regular repeat loops for this programme - but a very good programme about the Katoi culture.

---

Ladyboy Training 3
20/12
Television X

Damien has no idea that stunning ladyboy Holly has a secret weapon in her love arsenal. But he's up for anything, especially when Keisha Kane joins in the porno fun.

Comment

On the same night we see two different similarly labeled programmes presented differently both entitled Ladyboys. Also there is of course the issue of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keisha_%28 ... actress%29 as not even having any Thai roots. So the term 'Ladyboy' is factually incorrect. And can be seen as offensive. That said the show is scrambled - shame the listings are not. A web-link to their site maybe a better option rather than a description which to be fair are often well beyond G-rated Family listings

---

Alan Carr - Chatty Man
20/12
Channel 4

Comic Alan Carr hosts his own light-hearted chat show. Alan is joined by Katy Perry, who will be chatting and performing live in the studio, Bruce Forsyth and Lee Mack who will tell us about the Not Going Out Christmas special.

Comment

Luckily Lee Mack and Alan avoid transphobia - both have done plenty in their own shows.

In this one it was an comment made by Katy Perry, that Alan Jumped on to get a laugh rather than just letting it go. Unless this was scripted beforehand - it wouldn't surprise me as he did a strange nod to her as he said it almost like a cue.

Alan - "Do you cook?"
Katy - "HAH!" "No, I am more a kinda Mrs Doubtfire..."
Alan - "REALLY!" "What you are a man!!!""WHAT!"
Laughter
Alan - "OH MY GOD!!!" LAUGHS...

She explained it was in the sense that she bought take-away and pretended she had made it delivered via the back window of the kitchen.

The problem here is it is the speed he jumps on anything cross-dressing for laughs. Here it is. Plus we can also see how a film that has cross-dressing as part of the narrative (in this film the reason is to get access to his children as a housekeeper) is used as a proxy to mock cross-dressing or even transsexual issues. I mean there are better looking transwomen than Katy Perry around. So what's the big deal and would they be funny? He would unlikely laugh at then, as beauty is not that funny, it is the 'man-in-a-dress' that is 'funny' and this stems from panto and other areas. It is a relentless tidal wave and institutional in its nature. But someone has to try and stop this. Just stop! Its every freakin' week Alan just one week please! And Channel 4 - a lost cause?!

---

The Graham Norton Show
20/12
BBC ONE

10/18. The award-winning host continues his anarchic talk show. Graham is joined by actress Julie Walters, comedian Miranda Hart, Strictly judge Len Goodman and rap star Tinie Tempah. Also in HD. [S]

Comment

Julie Walters comes on to discuss her role in the new Harry Hill Movie.

Of course trans/cD issues are not far away as we can see from this clip.

(Images: BBC).

---

The Muppets & Lady Gaga at Xmas
22/12
Channel 5

Holiday special in which Lady Gaga joins the Muppets to sing festive favourites and some of her own hits. Guests include Sir Elton John, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Kristen Bell. [S]

Comment

I blame LG for this lot! The funniest instance was whilst she was singing seriously into the mic the Muppets were upstaging her - hilarious!

Image Five

The only way to improve on Gaga is the image above. It shows there are better acts out there that will last long after she drops away. To quote Adam Hills from his new DVD 'Happyism' - "Touch the frog!" Now, Kermit is an icon! And he never ages! I dunno why Miss Piggy is so Jealous - just wait they will soon depart ;) Your Porcine Skin will never become crackling Miss P! ;)P Hey yah! And what has happened to her Pork Chop! No Violence eh? Well kids all did it and damaged tracheas I guess ;)P

The Joke was kinda on Lady Gaga (the nerve of giving yourself a title like Lady :)) I think with this. She invites RuPaul of all people - as Ru is about 7ft tall in heels we had this ridiculous spectacle of Gaga wearing platforms to reach RuPaul's elbow. It looked like some Daliesque nightmare. RuPaul is a bloody awful singer really. Without the outfits, like any drag queen, they tend to show their weaknesses. They believe they are genuinely amazing and this delusion lasts a lifetime fed by people who assume they must be wrong for thinking any differently - you ain't wrong! They are bloody awful! ::)

Self-indulgent nonsense thankfully saved by the Muppets! :)

Image Five

---

Ant & Dec's Christmas Show
23/12
ITV2

Join Ant and Dec in Santa's Cabin, complete with a roaring fire and a live studio audience, to help the celebrations along in what promises to be a barrel-load of fun and laughs. Some celebrity pals, including Robbie Williams, will be dropping in, and there will be surprises for a few unsuspecting audience members. Plus hilarious comic sketches as well as some musical performances to blow your socks off.

Comment

Ant dresses as a dame (for a laugh)... Kind naff after that. I dunnow where they get their audiences from, but there must be something in the water! I think it is the 'mass effect' of others laughing topped up by a laughter track. As any single person sitting watching or the stage manager and camera crew, or director would clearly be unable to function at work if they were this funny!

Think about it. I am reminded of the Monty Python sketch of the funniest joke in the world that had to be worked on one word at a time as it was so dangerous to anyone seeing more than two words! That's funny! Translated into German and read to the enemy in WW2 - shouted across the fields. :)

Ant, Dec... You ain't that funny. And as for Dec's recent adoption of Bernie Winters' "I'll smash your face in!" I'll bet he is turning in his grave! Get your own one-liner! Still their act is a rip-off of Morcambe and Wise' - if it ain't broke eh? Talking of rip-off what do you get if you cross Bernard Manning and Bob Monkhouse? Jimmy Carr of course!

---

The IT Crowd
24/12
Channel 4

The Internet Is Coming: In this final one-off special, Jen and Roy's reputations are endangered by an online video clip, and Moss is transformed when he learns the secret of Douglas's self-confidence. [AD,S]

Comment

Been done, not funny, Miranda did this in her first series.

A joke as old as the hills. The same writer had Father Ted trapped in a lingerie section with priests - that was funny as it was kinda fresh back then - this is just really scraping the barrel.

For a full review see
The IT Crowd - The Final Episode
'The Internet is Coming'
27/09
Channel 4
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=3969

ImageChannel 4

The only trouble is although they say 'final episode' they repeat the transphobic ones around the clock forever. The IT Crowd is funny in places - just not the trans stuff, they just don't get it!

---

Cars 2
26/12
BBC ONE

Animated sequel. Lightning McQueen heads to Japan to prove his racing prowess, but he and the team soon find themselves in the middle of an international adventure. Also in HD. [2011] [AD,S]

Comment

Eddie Izzard is again the bad 'British guy', balanced well by the swarve Michael Caine James Bond Car (that's a secret agent).

A lot of thought goes into how these cars can function in this world. From magnetic wheels, to lots of ramps (Chorlton and the wheelies anyone?) But high budget, glossy, fast-paced quality you'd expect from Pixar - and with Eddie Izzard to boot - what's not to like?!

---

Igor
26/12
Viva

Comedy animation. The hunchbacked - but highly intelligent - assistant of a mad scientist craves to become taken seriously as an evil inventor like his master. Anxious to overcome the disapproval of the rest of the dark side of the science community, he keeps his master's death a secret and decides to take part himself in the Evil Scientists Fair. Featuring the voices of John Cusack, Molly Shannon and Eddie Izzard.

Comment

Eddie Izzard has been for sometime the professional British bad guy voice for cartoons and CGI films like this and Cars 2 of course, and in reality in films like 'My Super Ex-Girlfriend'.

However, when I listen I kinda hear his stand-up voices - but for kids - great! He is a soft warm-voiced baddie that is non-threatening, that's important when dealing with younger viewers

---

Ladyboy Training 4
27/12
Television X

Jeff Ryder is drafted in to have some fun with Keisha and lovely she-male Holly. Totally wild, Holly's out-of-control libido conquers all in an outrageous menage a trois.

Comment

She-male? This in publically viewable listings is not good. Even though it is scrambled. And again the actress in this is not Thai so that's a bit lame using Ladyboy in the title... At least give a Katoi a job!

---

Blackpool Lights
27/12
Channel 5

Reality show. In this episode, comedian Joey goes on the pull and Steve and Lee prepare their guest house for the annual Gay Pride weekend. [S]

Comment

The Grimmest Pride I have ever seen. If there was one thing that could stop anyone coming out it was this - miserable and embarrassing! Hand-painted signs on cement stained flatbed trucks saying 'Roy the Plumber' call this number - a euphamism maybe ;) LOL - then the rain and wind and noone knew where the start was - what a mess! Have it every 2 years and spend some money on it! Just the usual show-offs, people waving inflatable dolls and butt-less trousers, and people waving flags that I suspect noone looking even remember. And surprisingly oh yeah gay men wearing drag to get attention, why on earth would they do that? ;)

Seriously though, this is not good Gay PR. It just makes GLBTi look grubby, cheap and embarrassing. You need numbers and bands and so on. Make it a celebration and exciting. Watching a lorry go past with men with beer-guts shouting, "look at me" was like some giant stag-party tbh.

Amongst all the show-offs there were some positive messages and fundraising for worthy causes, but the camera is not interested in them. So 'the message' is drowned out by the thespians!

Photo above: Just as well walk the dog to help make up the numbers - LOL! Grim!

---

Cinderella
28/12
ITV2

Simon Nye's comic version of the traditional fairy tale, with an all-star cast. Poor Cinderella is put upon by her ugly stepsisters, but her luck changes when her Fairy Godmother appears with the promise of going to a ball and perhaps meeting a handsome prince. But what happens when Cinders forgets the Fairy Godmother's rules and does not leave the ball by midnight?

Comment

Original Air Date of the 28/12/1999 This panto is seriously showing it's age.

The Ugly Sisters played by Ronnie Corbett and Paul Merton, Make jokes about liking having b@lls (attending the Prince's ball get it? The idea they are playing women falls down with these gags) and Paul even made a Eddie Izzard Gag. Well in 1999 Grayson Perry and Alex Reid were unavailable for comment - what is the betting Grayson and Alex (and Lauren Harries) are in a lot of scripts this year? And herein is the problem. If they are playing horrific (misogynistic) women, who by being ugly and old (ageist and don't get me started on the damage the beauty industry does to us all) they are evil! Whereas a cisgender pretty young thing gets everything they ever wanted! Hmmmm... great message, until you are a trans kid watching!

You can listen to our thoughts on Panto here.

http://youtu.be/Dal5bL7i6_4

---

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
28/12
Channel 4

The definitive cult musical in which two innocent sweethearts stumble upon a creepy old house full of alien revellers from the planet Transylvania. A bizarre melting pot of horror, sci-fi and rock music adapted from Richard O'Brien's stageplay.

Comment

Behind the one hit wonder (Time Warp) lies a pension scheme for Mr O' Brien. A gay man who has suggested at times he is trans - although on Gaytime TV in the 90s, I have him on file here stating he is a male protoplasmic package (you ain't Rockey, Dick - get over it! :)). Maybe he is? Nevertheless few other films have basted themselves in trans-currency to this extent. The performers and all the stage shows ever since have allowed cross-dressing to become a freakish absurdity to be laughed at jeered at and whooped at than this - this transfers well to the street where we have to endure this for the rest of time it seems as a community. That only weirdos cross-dress, and to suggest that this is the guise of 'Planet transsexual' a place you leave for at the end of the show, a metaphor for hanging your wig at the stage door as you leave the theatre and where Mr OB left his. What about those that cannot escape? is not an ideal alliance. After all all the clothes are what women have warn, so the only 'angle' is it is a 'man' wearing them!!! Its interesting that Rocky Horror is a Assigned Male at Birth Transfilm. If Rockey was a Trans Man would it have even been of interest to producers? I doubt it!

The only defence is a contradiction, that by existing it allowed transpeople to be themselves at a movie theatre when society would not allow them that luxury in 'the daytime'. But the fact is this film perpetuated the divide between 'normalising transpeople' as productive members of society and freaks who come out after dark in stockings and suspenders like some dark sinewy spiders of the night living in shadows and dangerous. This was depicted in the original motion picture 'Fame' (1980).

An occasional image of it's creator in a dress justifying it is no more than Paul O'Grady's Lily Savage defending using the term 'tranny'. Dated, and so dated now it is the equivalent of a kid 10 years old trans kid looking at this and seeing it as something made during the Second World War. Should be scrapped along with 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!

Its fresh new feel, now has got old pretty quickly, along with its original cast, it looks like a school play. Modern Transpeople have simply outgrown this to the point it is 'quaint'. Like some crocheted doily on an occasional table at grandmas house. Like the Panto Dame - it is just tired.

Rerunning this is of course is far cheaper than actually creating something new and fresh (like 'orange is the New Black'). Again 'The Time-Warp' is a catchy song (but then again so is 'Agadoo'!. The rest is just hours of padding and B-Movie performing that Ed Wood would be ashamed of. On that note - 'Ed Wood' is a better film alternative simply because as a cross-dresser Ed was making movies on a shoe-string and actually existed. If only YouTube had of been around back then - Ed would have been a star!

Johnny Depp did a great job - Put that on instead!

---

The Jonathan Ross Show
28/12
ITV1

Jonathan Ross presents a special festive edition of his show with guests Sir David Attenborough, comedian John Bishop, actor Ray Winstone, farmer Jimmy Doherty and chef Jamie Oliver who will be preparing a seasonal feast live in the studio.

Comment

JR to John Bishop (about a big ending to his new stand-up show) - "Why don't you pull off a rubber mask at the end of the show to reveal you were a woman all along!"

HAHAHA! I AM SPLITTING MY SIDES JON!

---

The Matrix
30/12
ITV4

Fast-paced sci-fi thriller in which a lone computer hacker attempts to discover the meaning of 'The Matrix'. When he makes contact with a group claiming to know the answer, he falls into a nightmare of alternate realities and malevolent mind-control. The film draws on Japanese manga comic books and cyberpunk literature, and makes use of a radical special-effects technique that seems to alter time perception.

Comment

Of course at the time of making this, and apart from being a good film, it was otherwise nothing of interest to the trans community. However, since one of its creators has come out as trans it is that much more interesting and why it appears here. It may also have helped with the often skewed view of the world transpeople sometimes have - I know I see the world slightly differently to the 'Beige majority'!

Lana Wachowski who went on to the rather cruddy 'Cloud Atlas' (see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3563 )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNF5P-sXJEQ

But that said another trans face can't do any harm - or can it? After all Cloud Atlas has an apparently transwoman beaten to applause in the bar. Could have been scripted better.

---

C4's 30 Greatest Comedy Shows
30/12
Channel 4

Documentary looking back at 30 years of influential comedy shows, telling the stories behind them and examining their enduring appeal. Taking in everything from The Comic Strip Presents and Drop the Dead Donkey to Friday Night Dinner and The Inbetweeners, the programme reveals how Channel 4's comedy output sparked a television revolution and continues to innovate today.

Comment

Well this was nothing short of a final salute to the trans community. For 2013!

Cementing Channel 4 as the worst Channel of 2013! Yeah even BBC managed to escape the clutches of worse channel this time thanks in part to the series that featured a trans character on BBC Fours 'Quick Cuts', viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3807 Eddie Izzard's 'Meet The Izzards' and the excellent 'Reith Lectures' with Grayson Perry. Channel 4 just gave us Alan Carr Chatty Man and Jimmy Carr laughing about 'trannies' for most of the year topped off with 'Man Down' - of course easier to just to read our logs! Got a month to spare? ;). viewforum.php?f=106

Their apparant 'Best Moments' came from shows such as 'Bo Selecta' - Yeah Leigh not only mocked Nadia Almada with hanging testicles but also had a series on Channel 4 where He played a transsexual woman and Davina MacCall played an FTM - my goodness it don't get much lower! And Peter Kay? He got a mention! Anyone remember how Channel 4 embraced 'Geraldine'? (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1461 )
And to 'The IT Crowd' - Guess which clip they decided to show? The moment transsexual April was smashed through a plate glass window to audience applause and laughter of course!

As the names appeared I could dredge up transphobic stuff on almost all of them from our archive.

Thanks Channel 4!

And a Happy New Year to you too! [GROAN!]

:movie: :eparty: :cheer: :yahoo:

---

Hairspray
31/12
Film4

(2007) Adam Shankman's comedy musical, set in Baltimore in 1962, stars Nikki Blonsky as teen Tracy Turnblad, who yearns to appear on a TV dance show. With John Travolta and Queen Latifah. [AD,S]

Comment

Not as good as the version with Divine in it - Divine was 'full on'! And lived in a time where life was a lot tougher. This remake of the original tried too hard to be slick and make John Travolta a prosthetic woman. Hire a woman?! The part of the grotesque mother was played so well by Divine and with Ricki Lake as the lead first time around (the film that launched her career) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairspray_%281988_film%29 I just did not see the point in this second rate remake!

It is like tying to remake 'Casablanca' (1942). What is the point?

---

Futurama
31/12
11 Pick TV

Well a last minute recovery for Pick that showed the episode and one liner that is a good gag...

For more on this see Best Animated Programme from last year
http://blog.transgenderzone.com/?p=1204

---

Mr Bean's Holiday
31/12
ITV2

Comedy sequel. The disaster-prone Englishman wins a holiday to Cannes, but on his travels he unwittingly separates a young boy from his film director father. Mr Bean and the boy head for the south of France to attend the famous film festival and find the father, but their journey is full of misadventures.

Comment

A direct rip off of 'Monsieur Hulot's Holiday' (1953) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsieur_Hulot%27s_Holiday This is a Mr Bean (Rowen Aitkinson's French Effort...

The relevance here? Cross-dressing to deceive, and gain entrance to a building.

Cross-dressing as a disguise does not help our community, only this year a man escaped custody in a similar way. Another thing not to trust about our community eh? We must be up to something?

---

The 50 Funniest Moments of 2013
31/12
Channel 4

A host of comedians and celebrities take a look back at the funniest and most outrageous moments of 2013, from Prince Harry flying helicopters to Miley Cyrus' on-stage antics. Danny Dyer, Charlotte Crosby, Russell Kane and Helen Flanagan are among those contributing.

Comment

Lauren Harries made it onto the list regarding her 'fling' with Russell Brand. She got some good PR for her autobiography from this of course. A far more dignified Lauren of late. I like how she has grown and now is an official 'talking head' on the rota for these types of shows. Token transsexual? Maybe. But At least Lauren was there to defend this mention in the list.

Lauren also appears on Chatty Man - the interesting thing there is Alan did not abuse her to her face. Something he has done all year when transpeople are not present.

---

The Graham Norton Show
31/12
BBC ONE

11/18. New Year's Eve Show: With the Monty Python team, Joan and Jackie Collins and the Anchorman 2 cast. Contains some strong language. Also in HD. [S] Followed by National Lottery Update.

Comment

Joan Collins promotes her range of wigs - very nice.

They all (the men) of course try them on. Frank Skinner suggested he looked like he should be up on the Palace playing the guitar like Brian May.

Graham was Jealous that Michael Buble looked better than he did. I guess he kinda did :)

Them Michaels says... "I so badly wanna go home and wear my wife's clothes!"

(All images: BBC).

This is the thing, Joan wears wigs - it is common knowledge. She is not being mocked for wearing them, only the men are the subject of mockery, and using the trans-card to get a laugh in this instance as well. People are laughing at the thought of a man, going home and cross-dressing.

This is actually quite a serious problem. One that will never be fixed - well not in out lifetimes.
A man or trans mtf in a dress is funny (or threatening - that's actually worse) unless they pass well enough, or are young enough to be sexually attractive and then they fall into the sex worker stable. If they are passable and not sexually attractive transpeople are then either invisible or an oddity, like the old 'weirdos' or pervs (Coronation St anyone?). Or the transwoman who was chased out of town in Scotland. http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/tran ... itch130613 Even the passable, sexually attractive are still seen as transsexuals - and not 'real women'. A threatening person as how can 'they' be more attractive than the 'real thing' or men violently assaulting passable trans women for deceiving them. See TDOR.

Of course none of this registers as to suggest any wrong-doing makes you a spoilsport. A bit like being the only black guy in the pub in 1970 whilst white guys make racist jokes. "Cheer up mate it's only a laugh eh?!"

It will take a long time for this connection between mocking transpeople and hate-crime to establish itself. I suspect people even reading this cannot see the 'harm' in this. Until you get mocked in the street and want to go home and kill yourself that is.

---

Alan Carr's New Year Specstacular
31/12
Channel 4

Funnyman Alan Carr throws a New Year's Eve party to remember. Alan is joined by a host of special guests, including James Corden, Keith Lemon, Ben Cohen, Emma Willis, Seann Walsh and Abbey Clancy, bringing you sketches and entertaining games. Tinie Tempah and Katy B perform some of their music.

Comment

Opens with a joke about Prince George. "Apparently Kate wanted a boy and William wanted a girl, perhaps they should have compromised and had an Alex Reid..." So he started early. After all there are only what? Four well known trans people. Alex Reid, Lauren Harries, Eddie Izzard and Grayson Perry. So what other people are there to mock? He managed two of them in one show. And I think Grayson is too high brow and so rich he could sue him for slander :)

This really is a cheap show. Keith Lemon???!! AGAIN!!!(I am just sick of the sight of him - over exposed and now just the same old thing - him and Johnathan Ross would go to the opening of an envelope! - even Ali-G changed to Borat. Get another character Leigh ffs), James Cordon (He's OK, just seemed to laugh all the time), Emma Willis (she is great and now hosts 'The Voice' And Big Brother - just stay grounded Emma :)) Emma Willis probably helped get Lauren on, no David Walliams this year - thank goodness - probably off photocopying a Roald Dahl Book somewhere [meow!]. They had this 'who is under the helmet game' who was famous for 'something' in 2013. See Pictured. Alan says out loud - "OK She is a LADY!". That's interesting, a few months back him and Rod Stewart were having a good old laugh about 'trannies'. And as for this particular story with Russell Brand, well all the evidence supports Lauren's turn of events, nevertheless, Alan and David Walliams mocked Lauren a few months back, and of course He mocked her with Russell when he was on his show.

Today he is all smiles to her face...hmmm?!!!... He must really think we have short memories. We know his MO. He is going to have to work really very hard in 2014 to avoid dragging Channel 4 down for a forth year running regarding their promises to the trans community to stop all this. Getting someone trans on the show like Eddie or Lauren is not the issue it is his own personal inability to leave trans-currency out of his act, or at least use it in a way that is not offensive - can he do that? As a gay man he has no clue how painful gender dysphoria is and the damage he does every week to the gender dysphoric viewers. Transphobia is not something Channel 4 seemed to be prepared to relinquish that easily as this recently proves - so why should Alan Carr who depends on it to survive it seems? See: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ ... r-man-down for more from Channel 4.

Image Channel 4

Image Channel 4

"She's a woman, she's..." Alan really over-egged the pronouns here. Listen Alan why not spread this out over the year rather than putting a band-aid on the transphobia a minute to midnight? [Literally] Hoping no one will notice. Also Channel 5 brought Lauren Back, Channel 4 suddenly have woken from their sleep rubbed their eyes and realised they have done f-all for 10 years!

Only downside is she is famous for having sex with someone famous. I think we need people who are trans famous for something else other than having sex tbh as this just plays right into the hands of society's view that we are all prostitutes, kiss and tells or stereotypes you find in a simple online search of 'tranny' or 'shemale'. I miss Stephen Whittle on telly! Now he was a role-model!

Still, famous for being famous? It is her moment and she is a 'character'. I just think her vehicle lies in a double-act with Pete Burns - she just does not function well on her own as a presenter. And her 'currency' is already fading.

---

Happy New Year from all at Transgender Zone and check out the Transgender Television Awards 2013 when they are published here!

http://www.TransgenderTelevisionAwards.com

Ice
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Christine

Re: UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Dec 2013

Postby Christine » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Low points
anything with Alan Carr [...] in it. [GROAN].
I don't watch much telly at the best of times, and Alan Carr is a person I find so absolutely irritating as to be unwatchable, but I get the impression from several sources that he's pretty much public enemy no. 1 where trans-people are concerned. Even though I'm unimpressed that he manages to get away with it, that's eclipsed by the fact that I'm just bemused that we seem to be such an obsession of his. Weird.

Return to “UK Monthly Transgender Television Logâ€