UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Nov 2013

Every month we list UK programmes the feature transgender issues good and bad. If you work in the media this is a must see monthly list.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Nov 2013

Postby Ice Maiden » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:47 pm

So here we go doesn't time fly when you are being abused!

So here we go again, what is broadcast in the UK reflects on you as a transperson. Every month it is a case of spot

the positives. Almost all television featuring anything remotely associated with transpeople is negative, comical

or are negative stereotypes.

High Points
Eddie Izzard in a few shows.

Low points
Man Down Channel 4

Don't forget our Soap storyline Archives
viewforum.php?f=16

And what has been happening to Hayley in Coronation St .
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1441&start=10#p16796

All the following clips have been archived for evidential purposes should they be needed.

---

The Change
01/11
BBC Radio 4 Ex

Sitcom about a troubled hormonal wife and a transvestite husband. Stars Lynda Bellingham and Chris Ellison. From

November 2001. Episode 1 of 6.

Comment

The Change is back! YAY - AGAIN! I remember archiving this when it first came out and sent a copy with photos of the recordings to the Beaumont Library.

'The Change' was a Radio comedy Drama written about a cross-dressing husband and the impact it had on the family and friends. The Beaumont Society and Women of the Beaumont Society"WOBS" were heavily involved.

Diane A of WOBS even had a speaking part in the recording as a helpline advisor. It is running again on Radio 4 Extra. It comes around every so often but was made in 2001! That's the BBBC for you, cutting edge eh?

So don't be fooled this is some progress from campaigning now ;)

Repeated again on The 02/11.

---

Fool Britannia
02/11
itv1
6:30pm, Saturday 2 November 2013 (Important note here that it is pre watershed and classified as family viewing).
Duration: 30 minutes
Series 2 • Episode 5

Fool Britannia Armed with a truckload of hidden cameras and devious disguises, no one is safe as comedian Dom Joly unleashes a host of brand new characters and pranks across the UK.

Dom Joly presents more wind-ups and pranks. A hapless prison officer keeps losing his prisoners, and a prospective bridesmaid is not too happy with her sister's wedding theme.

Comment

The rather uncomfortable situation where another (this was also done in Channel 4's I'm Spasticus') blind man has a trans date. And has to asks a stranger about the transperson.

This allows for comedy and objectification of the transperson in their absence. Whilst a laughter track is played.

Disgraceful! I have it archived in full.

---

8 Out of 10 Cats
04/11
4 Music

Tim Minchin 'Trannies' - no point in going into detail here read this link
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4044&p=36774

---

Bouncers
7/11
Channel 4

Queen Street is the hub of Colchester's late-night drinking scene. This episode of the documentary series follows five bouncers who work along this strip, at Silk Road, TP's Sports Bar and the kebab shop. Bouncing is a profession of two halves: the old school and the new school. The job became licensed in 2001, but some bouncers still remember the 'good old days'.

Full Review

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4043

---

Ladyboys
03/11
Pick TV

Second series of the intriguing and, at times, emotional documentary that travels to Thailand to explore the world of male-to-female transgender persons. Revisit the highlights of the first series, as the eye-opening documentary joins Thailand's most successful transgender entrepreneur on the campaign trail for equal rights.

Comment

Good - and the term 'Ladyboy' is used in context correctly!

---

8 Out of 10 Cats Uncut
04/11
4Music

Jimmy Carr hosts an extended edition of the comedy show in which celebrity panelists discuss the findings of opinion polls on wacky or trivial topics.

Comment

Full Review
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4044

---

Lorraine
04/11
ITV1

The news that a potential terrorist had escaped custody by wearing a Burkha in a Mosque led to a number of jokes and comments about cross-dressing as a fraudulent act.

It begs the question, why is it when any man mentions or is wearing what are seen as women's clothes, its a laugh and never taken seriously. Not about the means of escape which is obvious in this instance but the associations.

Maybe one day our society will ignore this issue.

That said Rough Copy (X-FACTOR) wore skirts or 'overlays' and even got stick elsewhere for that - society FFS grow-up! One culprit of this is presenter Stephen Mulhern - more on him later!

---

This Morning
04/11
ITV1

Daytime Magazine Show

Comment

This was interesting and demonstrates a master at work! Like Matthew Wright Phillip Schofield has become very self-aware regarding trans issues over the years. Except for a few slip-ups we can see right here the difference between someone who has really still not quite grasped what they are saying and an older presenter who immediately can see the audience reaction - here is the simple exchange. And look at the faces!

Stephen Mulhern (he again will be in this thread later!) Not a great month for him.

The Topic is about 'Wardobing', that is taking a dress back to a store after wearing it for one night or to a job interview.

Stephen Mulhern - "MEN! Seem to be doing this too! I just wonder if the men are buying dresses!!! (Crew laughter is heard).

Imageitv

Holly is shown smiling.

Imageitv

Phillip however, is nonplussed! (See image above).

Phillip Schofield (shrugs his shoulders) - "Well its possible."

And moves on.

Good Balance, but even better had Stephen not ridiculed transgender people. Had he said it with a straight face then fine, but the fact he laughed about it (and Holly humoured him too - they are mates) makes it bad! Especially on a show that features so many transpeople. C'mon Stephen get a grip. Despite you Peter Pan looks, you ain't a

kids presenter anymore at 18 you are 36!

---

The Reith Lectures
Grayson Perry
05/11
BBC Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00729d ... e#b00sj965

Comment

The last lecture in this Witty and educational series from Grayson - top marks!

Grayson is a very funny person who delivers knowledge in an easily digestible form. I have leaned a lot about art from him, more than any art teacher taught me. The fact Grayson is stood there in a frock becomes kinda irrelevant.

And apart from a few cross-dressing jokes at the beginning, that's it! This is like the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures without the experiments. For this you need a great orators and Grayson (or Claire in this instance) is just that.

Excellent!

---

Ladyboys
05/11
Pick TV

Following on from the acclaimed documentary exploring the world of Thailand's Ladyboys, this series offers further insight into a sector of Thai society that makes up one per cent of the country's population. Western men who have found love with ladyboys discuss their experiences.

Comment

Again, Good.

---

The Simpsons
'Wedding for Disaster'
06/11
Channel 4

After discovering that his marriage licence with Marge is invalid, Homer proposes to her for the second time.

However, his disappearance on the big day means another case for Bart and Lisa.

In this latest episode there is this instance when the 'Parson' - who is treated like the local pope - comes to town (clearly a Bing Crosby look-a-like, and Ned Flanders treats him like a member of 'One Direction' by swooning all over him). When speaking to his old friend - Tim the local reverend - he says to Tim (Reverend Lovejoy) speaking about Lovejoy's wife Helen:

Parson - "I remember when she was Helen Schwartzbaum. In fact I remember when she was Harold Schwartzbaum!" (Hayley in Coronation Street used to be Harold).
"You what?!" Retorts Rev Lovejoy.
Parson - "I've said too much!"

Image (Image: Channel 4/ Fox)
An awkward moment.

Not a bad thing, some may say positive? But it also looks like deceit and fraud.

Reminds me of the B-movies of the 50s - transgender people are like some body snatchers - you could be in the room with one now! RUN!

---

New - American Dad!
06/11
BBC THREE

8/18. The Unbrave One: Animated adventures of a CIA agent. When Stan has a fight at the cinema and Steve doesn't back him up, Stan dubs Steve a coward and disowns him. [S]

Comment

Interesting one this.

The Hooker, whose 'John' wanted her penis shot off appears on the end of a sing song at the end of this episode - no rhyme nor reason for her being there other than just 'there'. But since when do cartoons have to make sense?

Imagebbc

The original quite transphobic episode can be found here and here is the first time we see the trans-hooker.

viewtopic.php?f=106&t=1022

---

Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami
07/11
4Music

Khloe gets asked to judge a Khloe Kardashian Look-a-like contest.

There was so much wrong with this show I do not know where to begin.

She makes it clear from the outset saying, "I do not like being compared to a tranny!" She then goes on - "I Know drag queens and 'trannies' are not the same."

Yet she goes on to say 'tranny' a number of times. The argument here is the gay drag queen look-a-like contest was for a gay group in Miami. But she would not support a hispanic community group by saying the N-word (black racial slur) over and over it has no relation whatsoever and is offensive to that group.

This show had nothing to do with transsexuals, yet was advertised as such, it was a drag queen contest, yet she used the term 'tranny/ie' throughout.

Channel 4 again.

Nitemare!

---

The Simpsons_Channel 4
'The Good, the Sad and the Drugly'
08/11
Channel 4

When Milhouse takes the blame for one of Bart's school pranks, Homer decides to punish his son by sending him to the retirement home to visit Grampa. However, things begin to look brighter for Bart when he falls for Jenny, a young volunteer at the home, and tries to behave in an attempt to win her heart.

Although Bart and Millhouse having problems over a girl has been done.

Now this I like this episode - LOL send out the trumpets!

Bart falls for a girl who makes him polite and well behaved.

At dinner Bart is eager to lay their table.

Bart - "So this is what laying the table is if I had known I would have done it without the tantrums!"
Marge comes in - "Oh Bart I don't care if this is just an act (rubs his hair lovingly) you have finally become the boy every mother dreams of - a girl!"

Now that's clever!

A line I wish I'd thought of :)

---

Alan Carr - Chatty Man
08/11
Channel 4

Comic Alan Carr hosts his own light-hearted chat show. Guests include Robin Thicke, Paul O'Grady and Jack Whitehall, who is also joined by his father Michael to discuss their new book.

Comment

Always goes a bit awry when these two are on together, last time they were laughing about 'trannies' see

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3391

In almost a carbon copy situation

Paul O'Grady - I would rather have a guest on the show from Corrie (Coronation Street Soap) than some A-list Yank who can't talk about anything.

Alan Carr - And you can't mention their love-life, you can't mention their plastic surgery, their alcoholism, [NO LAUGHS AT THIS POINT So he must get one] Or Cross-dressing! Oh Yeah!

Audience laughs

This is actually terrible, anything to do with a 'man' in a frock is laughed at. Any transperson who does not 'pass' cisnormatively is laughed at! Alan Carr is laughing with the audience at cross-dressers, many transpeople in the early stages of transition are mocked in this same way, Channel 4 broadcast this show, Paul O'Grady clearly does drag for money, and not because he is trans. As does Alan Carr - just for a laugh. What prize f*ck up this really is! And in part Channel 4 will never deliver on their promises. Unless they find someone who is capable of this show or a show like this without resorting to a cheap trans laugh! Nobody laughed at alcoholism (addiction), or plastic surgery in his joke! Yet soon as they mention something that is known the world over as a very distressing soul-destroying situation a transperson just wanting to be themselves - then only to be laughed at by this guy says it all! Paul also rambled on about cross-dressing even had it in their teaser for laughs.

This is like one of the 'Black and White Minstrels' of the 70s going on a chat show and doing gags about being black!

Ridiculous.

---

The Graham Norton Show
08/11
BBC ONE

5/18. Chat show. Graham is joined by actor Jude Law, starring in new gangster movie

Dom Hemingway; comedian Greg Davies; Dot Cotton herself, June Brown; and pop sensation Lady Gaga. Also in HD. [S]

Comment

To be fair to Graham and the BBC this was not of their doing, but they did choose a
clip that mentioned transvestites. So Trans Currency is being used here by proxy!

That's a new one eh? So the value of a promo for a movie is focusing on transgender issues even if it is just a passing comment! And not the theme. Here is what happened.

The Film is Dom Hemingway, Jude Law appears in the clip on a train as some 'cockney geezer'.
Jude Law - OHHHHHH!!!! My head is throbbing! (REMOVES SUNGLASSES) Like some vanilla disco full of transvestites

suckling pigs! Coke! I did too much!

A descriptive we can do without, and why choose that clip?

---

The Change
08/11
BBC Radio 4 Ex

Different for Girls: Can transvestite George dump his entire wardrobe for wife Carol? Stars Lynda Bellingham and

Chris Ellison. From November 2001. Episode 2 of 6.

Comment

Good - but made in 2001 - maybe that is why!

---

The Reith Lectures (Repeat)
Grayson Perry
09/11
BBC Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00729d ... e#b00sj965

Comment

The last lecture in this Witty and educational series from Grayson - top marks!

Grayson is a very funny person who delivers knowledge in an easily digestible form.

Excellent!

---

The Change (Repeat)
09/11
BBC Radio 4 Ex

Different for Girls: Can transvestite George dump his entire wardrobe for wife Carol? Stars Lynda Bellingham and

Chris Ellison. From November 2001. Episode 2 of 6.

Comment

Good

---

Ladyboys (Repeat)
09/11
Pick TV

Second series of the intriguing and, at times, emotional documentary that travels to Thailand to explore the world of male-to-female transgender persons. Revisit the highlights of the first series, as the eye-opening documentary joins Thailand's most successful transgender entrepreneur on the campaign trail for equal rights.

Good - would love to see the Thai Trans Man culture - yeah funny nobody seems to have thought of that ;)

No charge for these ideas!

---

Sunday Side Up
10/11
ITV1

Stephen Mulhern shakes up lazy Sunday mornings with a live family entertainment show, packed with celebrity guests,

showbiz chat, games and surprises. Stephen is joined in the studio this week by Coronation Street star Jennie McAlpine. Includes the two-minute silence for Remembrance Sunday.

Comment

Remember earlier we mentioned Stephen Mulhern and his gung-ho approach to crossdressing for laughs that Phillip Schofield realsed was not a good idea?

Well in the second of a new series here he is again.

Jenny - who plays Fizz in Coronation Street talked about the storyline regarding transsexual character Hayley, and just how moving it was. She gave a present to Stephen and said they we from the knicker factory - I don't buy this for a second. As it was a 'bit' for him to do throughout the show for laughs.

Later he comes back from the ads and is fidgeting and says - remember the knickers I was given earlier? Well they are very tight!!! They all laugh of course as does Fizz. Who played Hayley's foster child at one point in the soap!

This week Hayley shouted her concern over wearing Y-Fronts! In an argument with Roy. And here we have Fizz laughing about a man in women's knickers? Maybe if Hayley was an actual transsexual woman she would think a little differently. Again it demonstrates the vaccum of ignorance her tenure has delivered.

It is still funny to laugh at a 'man' who cross-dresses.

They are tight - very tight!

Fizz and everyone in the studio laughs.

They finish off with send us your videos of you dad dancing in a bra!

Why not their mother? So this is again something thats asexual and funny a mum would be what? Too creepy? X rated?

Rather than something that is actually serious for some is just a 'laugh' - lighten up!

Some may say, what is the difference between this and , say, Matthew Wright doing this in the Jungle in a white Bikini? Well it is about how and why it is happening. It is the context. Matthew historically (we watch like a hawk as you well know) has been a powerful transgender ally, his behaviour in the jungle was a social commentary, it was a light hearted ploitical statement almost about how women have to do this 'performance' and he stole that away. He also bought the bikini for himself - it is his bikini! :) And he wanted to wear it.

And next month we even see it again on his daytime sown to the shock of the original white bikini jungle girl Myleene Klass who was on the panel!

For all I know he is on the trans spectrum - if he is welcome :)

Compare this to say Little Britain or Stephen above? Well that's crass low-brow throw-away jokes at our expense. It lacks sophistication - Big Difference! But most may not notice it and this is why we log!

---

CSI - New York
12/11
5 USA

The Lying Game: The team investigate the murder of a transgender showgirl, but find the case complicated by the sheer number of suspects. (14/24) [S]

Comment

Now at first glance this may assume to be the typical trans murdered storyline and a bit of a blight on Channel 5 as they were our channel of the year for 2011/12.

However, this particular showgirl (shown in flashbacks) is non other than transsexual Candice Cayne (who later went on to 'Dirty Sexy Money') YES A REAL TRANSSEXUAL ACTRESS!!! In this instance even if the storyline is unpalatable, they still hired a transwoman to play the part of a transwoman - a bit like the UK Paddy Power ad storm in that a trans person is a transperson no matter how uncomfortable it is, or what the script says - just get trans faces acting! And she got to do plenty of acting in flashback. So this is great and what I personally have been and still continue to advocate and press for in UK media.

When I first saw this a few years back I had a different view, primarily down to the exploitative title, the 'Lying Game' ('Crying Game' Film title etc) and suggesting she was lying being a trans woman, but Candis' later work has won me over. This was clearly a big step to hire and actual transwoman and so this softens the blow so to speak.

You have sometimes got to kiss a lot of frogs (metaphorically speaking of course :)) to find that princess role.

Good stuff!

However it is night and day compared to a similar role below!

---

Breakfast on Pluto
13/11
Film4

(2005) Comedy-drama. Cillian Murphy stars as a young Irish transvestite adopted at birth, but now searching swinging 70s London for his real mother. Very strong language/violence. [S]

Comment

This is a good old violent film and takes many twists and turns. If you like gangsters and terrorism this is ideal!

However, the lead is not a transperson (that's always going to grate, sorry!). The transvestism seems like a bolt-on to a story that didn't really need it. Its like making James Bond Trans to get a little more 'juice' out of the story.

Adapted from this book, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast_on_Pluto the fact it is a fiction from a cisgender man's mind and does actually prove problematical -and the failings soon show. The lead soon blurs the boundaries into gay life, sexual abuse and sex work. Well that's what transpeople do eh?

It is also repeated on the Channel 4 (Film 4) roundabout as some tokenistic minority effort. Its cheap to keep doing this than produce fresh new dramatic content with trans actors of course. The other film they regularly show being 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' - also annoying and pointless. The music in Hedwig is so bad that only a fake trans character (yeah the person had surgery to escape East Berlin so is not even trans) has enough currency to carry it.

Breakfast on Pluto was obviously heavily influenced by 'The Crying Game' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crying_Game it almost feels like the same film in places.

Its OK to watch, but I think using the word 'transvestite' in it, give the impression that it is giving the transcommunity a nod. It ain't! Its using our 'currency' to add value to a plot - exploitation - rather than empowerment.

---

The Xtra Factor
10/11
ITV2

X Factor companion show. Caroline Flack and Matt Richardson go behind the scenes after the main results show to
find out what the judges and the contestants are thinking following the latest elimination. They chat to the departing act, welcome a panel of celebrity fans and take questions and comments from viewers via social media.

Comment

This is an interesting one and rather than about tranpeople it is more how people treat cross-dressers and humiliate them - especially men.

Here is the sequence of events:

1. One of the favourites to win the show is young Nicholas McDonald (the Scottish vote) is in the after show show, talking with the boys about what they get up to in the 'house' where they are staying for the duration of the show.

Last week, Rough Copy gave him an 'urban' make-over. This week we see him parade up and down in high heels.

But this is the reaction of the boys.

Imageitv

Imageitv

They then rather than eave it there find a photo of him as a child like this:

Imageitv

Home in on it and dissect this 'strange' behaviour! Circling the weaknesses.

Imageitv

His reaction?

Imageitv

His face says it all! Not only is this out of order, it is humiliating him where there is nothing to be laughed at!

So what if he wore heels as a kid? That's sweet!

Then when the boys reaiised he was not laughing with them they all went "Awww!"

The host at the screen looked a bit worried...

Imageitv

The temperature drops like a stone - now look at the boys faces - within 1 minute!

Caroline intervenes - "Um would you consider a man-heel? Like Cuban?"

Nicholas - "What's that?"

He smiles at the end - and the ice is broken.

But here we see what is wrong with the world.

Firstly - we have a child who maybe expressing themselves in a gender variant way. All these years later it haunts him? He wears heels for fun and is humiliated! I think he was quite perplexed at this being a big deal actually. Maybe his family are not oppressive and indulged his needs, you know?!

Any trans child or teenager watching this must have felt sick!

This is a very poor television!

They just are not thinking beyond 'the laugh' after all, what if he is a closeted transperson? I am not saying he is

I don't know, but what if? This is abuse!

Would they laugh at Eddie Izzard sat there in heels? I doubt it.

---

Ladyboys
10/11
Pick TV

Best of Series 2: Second series of the intriguing and, at times, emotional documentary that travels to Thailand to explore the world of male-to-female transgender persons. The illuminating insight into Thailand's transgender society concludes with an episode dedicated to the best bits of the second series.

Comment

Very Good - but the UK public should remember this is culturally specific and does not travel to the UK in the same context or labels!

Transpeople are not performers, nor are the Katoi in Thailand, they have to earn a living - given the choice most want to marry a westerner who will support them and escape this life it seems!

---

The Paul O'Grady Show
11/11
ITV1

Paul O'Grady returns for a new series of his early evening chat show with celebrity guests, musical performances and a few surprises too. Today's guests include X Factor's Louis Walsh and Coronation Street's Helen Worth, and there is music from The Saturdays.

Comment

No stranger to using transphobic labels ('TRANNY' Don't worry we have the video clips), Paul O Grady returns to his later afternoon slot for a few weeks on ITV1.

McFly have written his introduction song.

One line in it goes.

[...]
# He's just a little bit crazy,
# He's Zany!
# He used to be a lady! (in a high pitched 'Little Britain' voice).
# The Paul O'Grady Show!...
[...]

Imageitv

This at first glance seems harmless, the trouble is if you look at this review here you can see it is far from harmless!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4019

In this we have NHS Nurses unsure if Paul is a Transsexual? Even using him as an example!!!

I know the argument is they must be stupid then? But that's not the point. If Paul 'Used to be a Lady', then now he is presenting as male, even if we forget about Lily and his drag career. This would be a transman, this would not be something you remark on. Tell any transman they used to be a lady! Good luck in hospital! :)

McFly thought ....hmmmm what rhymes with O GRADY? And so this is born. They probably don't know what they are saying either? After all it is all 'harmless' fun eh?

As for Paul's track record here is just two instances:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1764
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3391#p32432

This is classic Gay Licence in action and needs to STOP!
http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2976

So often it is 'the butterfly effect' where they have a collective responsibility to change, not just one or two well-meaning trnanspositive broadcasters and presenters we give awards to. see:

http://www.transtvawards.comBroadcasters have blood on their hands. They need to stop and reevaluate everything in this area.

The public get their education from Television for the most part these days. Get that wrong and so do they!

---

New - American Dad!
12/11
BBC THREE

11/18. Old Stan in the Mountain: When Stan is rude, an old man casts a hex upon him to make him old and feeble. Contains adult humour. [S]

Comment

Oh dear here we go again!

BBC Three continue with this and will not stop nor listen nor change anything they do.

Stan is in the hospital aging fast and for no reason at all!

And this is just someone walking by in the corridor dressed like a cowboy.

TRANSCRIPT

Stan - Hexes aren't real?
Camp cowboy overhears and looks in around the door - You all saying Texas ain't real?
Doctor - No, Hexes!
Cowboy - OK good cos Texas is real for sure!

[THIS IS THE POINT TO EDIT! STOP HERE! BUT NO THERE IS NOT ENOUGH HUMOUR IN THIS THEY NEED MORE 'CURRENCY' - SO MAKE A WITHDRAWAL FROM THE GOLD THAT TRANSPEOPLE GENERATE!]

Cowboy - Now if you'll excuse me I am going to have my penis removed in the first of many painful steps it takes to become a woman!

[END SCENE]

Imagebbc

BBC Three also showed Quagmires Dad on the 13th - and we see Brian projectile vomit when he realises he has slept with 'a man' this came from 'The Cleveland' Show and that is made by the same production company Fuzzy Door/Fox and shown on Channel 4 (e4 to be precise) they projectile vomit in that to and use the word 'tranny'.

The BBC and Channel 4 are struggling! It is like nothing has happened at all in 3 years. And again fail apart from one or two rare instances in 365 days.

Our awards in January will reflect and explain this.

As an aside and a little transmedia trivia this gag has actually already been done by the same show anyway and here it is!

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE?!

American Dad
'AT the abusive terrestrial'
BBC Three

During this episode Stan and Francine find out their beloved soft drink company Mt Pibb is closing down. The tour
guide then out of the blue says:

Imagebbc

"It was my last tour anyway, tomorrow I am having a sex change operation, from now on I'll be living my life as a woman."

Stan and Francine just ignore this and carry on talking about Mr Pibb Drinks.

Imagebbc

Then we cut again to the trans character stroking a box of tampons saying,
"Oh soon my sweets!"

This is a cartoon but it is just so loaded with misinformation it's no wonder parents are terrified. No 'real life
test' for this patient it seems.

---

The Wright Stuff
13/11
Channel 5

Lively magazine show in which Matthew Wright and guests discuss the topical issues of the day.

Comment

Our regular winner of http://www.Transtvawards.com Matthew Wright is away in the Jungle for 'I'm a Celebrity - Get me Out of Here!' So the panel consisted of Presenter, Donal MacIntyre, Comedian Dominic Holland, Journalist Carol Malone and special guest Andy Parsons. Andy is a regular on BBC 'Mock the Week' and MTW has some very transphobic content - just search our site!

In this instance they talk

About Breast Feeding - Andy Parsons - "You are even going to get blokes dressing up as women with their man-breasts..."

Its not the subject rather it is the reaction to cross-dressing that most worries me.

The very thought of a 'bloke' dressed as a woman in this instance leads to laughter!

The same reaction in the 'Xtra Factor' earlier - it reminds me of people at a party telling a racist joke out of the earshot of a black person - they would not do it in earshot of Eddie Izzard. What they forget is this is being broadcast to the nation! Cross-dressing is not 'funny'. When it is no longer funny and it becomes mundane this will all stop. But it needs a little help to get there!

Its a lot to expect a comic to stop telling jokes that always get a laugh! And it is a brave channel that stops it!

This is why the BBC and Channel 4 have failed in their plans to deal with it. Smaller Channels with a tighter grip like Channel 5 have fared a lot better.

---

Gogglebox
13/11
Channel 4

Television review comedy series in which TV fanatics open up their living rooms to reveal their reactions to popular and topical TV shows.

Comment

Of all the programmes to choose from and of all those programmes clips they chose this one!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4043

ImageChannel4

And there it is! The mind of a Channel 4 Producer!

And on both occasions as 'Bouncers' was a Channel 4 programme as well!

---

This Morning
14/11
ITV 1

Presented by Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby. Coronation Street's Antony Cotton gives a culinary take on his life, the cast of West End musical The Bodyguard perform, there is a look through the day's headlines and a round-up of viewers comments and views in the Hub.

Comment

Not a huge issue but adds to the problem transpeople experience.

In this interview we have this dialogue

Interviewing the leads for the West End musical of the 'BodyGuard' BEVERLEY KNIGHT
as Rachel Marron & TRISTAN GEMMILL as Frank Farmer. The male lead TRISTAN says:

Tristan - I saw the film the night before the audition in case there was anything I should know - something glaringly obvious?..

Phillip Schofield - Yeah [like] he's a cross-dresser!

Then they laugh like this...

Image itv

Image itv

This is serious arched-back laughing as well not just a wry smirk or wink...

Why is this funny? Being trans is not funny. It is a core identity of a person who may be seriously depressed and traumatised constantly by laughter at any gender variant comments. A trans child transitionIng at school gets this same reaction from staff and pupils - is that OK?

I am a little tired of this reaction to anything regarding cross-dressing. It really is one of the biggest burdens our community has. Defeat this reaction below and we have won!

When you take into account that 'This Morning' probably is one of the most transpositive shows on daytime tv. And this is the reaction (above) to cross-dressing comment? Then it is a worry. It demonstrates just how institutionally transphobic society is in general, the thought of any person 'designated male at birth' wearing a dress. Well they are clearly a laughing stock.

Having trans guests and even Lauren Harries present a part of the show, does not excuse this tye of reaction, this type of reaction is difficult to mask. It drops the guard (no pun intended) and we can see what people really think of the issue in these moments. The same applies to Holly on 'Celebrity Juice' when confronted with similar themes.

Firstly Phillip could have avoided this completely by not saying this at all - it was unnecessary to the interview.

Secondly, if by saying it they reacted like Tristan here, with a calm and a straight face, that shows an element of control - even respect for the issue.

If there was some message in this, satirical, or like Matthew Wright in the Jungle, whereby there is actually some social commentary tired in with it then fine, after all Phillip has cross-dressed in the past for 'Text Santa' - to be 'a sport'. So OK in these instances there is more going on than a case of lets all laugh at a transgag.

Transgags always get a laugh - and this is the problem! Its a brave comic who stops doing this. If Eddie Izzard who has every right to do this manages to avoid it then so can you Phil!

Unfortunate and a rare negative for what is in general a good show.

My advice is even if you think it, let's not see this reaction or comment anymore.

Sadly this undoes his positive behaviour at the beginning of this month with Stephen Mulhern.

---

Celebrity Juice
14/11
ITV2

Keith Lemon continues the tenth series of the outrageous comedy panel show. Holly Willoughby and Fearne Cotton lead two teams of celebrities as they answer questions about the latest showbiz gossip and take part in rude and ridiculous challenges. Among the guests on the panel this time are McFly's Harry Judd and Dougie Poynter.

Comment

This is not a repeat.

So we have this shot of the 'greens-screen' game where they put the faces of the guests onto the bodies of celebrities and they have to guess who they are. The modern equivalent to sticking post-it notes on your forehead with famous people's names on them.

Aled Jones got Clare Balding.

I guess there is a similarity. However. historically this game almost always goes a bit transphobic, its obvious why.

In this instance there was an interesting transphobia by proxy gag - remember this term you are going to see it more and more in the future as there is a shift away from direct to indirect transphobic comments. Here is a prime example. http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=3000

Aled - Do I wear high heels?
Laughter
Holly - I don't know actually?
Aled - I do at home! (meaning Aled does, to get a laugh).

Image itv

Fortunately Holly and Keith (Leigh Francis) did not labour this comment. So that's a positive. Sadly though laughing at a person 'Designated male at birth', wearing high heels, being laughed at is lazy, tired and considering Aled interviews Transpeople on ITV's breakfast news show 'Daybreak' then this is again, why? Why would you appear to ridicule transpeople you may have to interview tomorrow?

Clueless really and a bit stupid.

---

The Change
15/11
BBC Radio 4 Ex (Repeated on the 16/11).

Birth of the Blues: Transvestite George gets thrilling news, then a bombshell drops. Stars Lynda Bellingham and

Chris Ellison. From November 2001. Episode 3 of 6.

Comment

Again good programme, but made in 2001. That was when the BBC actually cared about trans issues! And they listened to us! And most importantly spent some money producing it!

---

The Simpsons
'Coming to Homerica'
14/11
Channel 4

Homer forms a border patrol group to help keep Springfield's borders secure from the unemployed residents of Ogdenville.

Comment

Transcript

Krusty the Klown - (About his burgers not being healthy and launching a new 'green' burger for the vegetarians to save the planet! That leads to food poisoning - but thats another story).

K - "Find the cheapest vegetable and make a burger out of it and double the price!"
K - "And say it's got none of those...What are those unhealthy HE-SHE Sounding things?!"
Lawyer/Marketing consultant/accountant - "Uh? Trans-fats?"
K - "Yeah that's it!"

HE-SHE? = TRANS?

FFS!

Last time this 'trans-Fats' gag was used was by non other than well-known Lesbian and 'The Great British Bake-off' Host Sue Perkins when she said... in 'Horsemeat & Other Food Shockers',"Ready meals contain Hydrogenated Vegetable oil, and that means they contain fat tranny ...[Shows a clip of Rio carnival dancers and a crotch shot]...sorry trans fatty acids which are bad..."

Here again it is 'gay licence' (Sue is not unique, we have Norton, Carr, O'Grady all at it Tranny this and Tranny that). However more rare is that a lesbian woman is saying it.

Well anything with 'trans' in it is fair game eh? Oh the fun to be had abusing us!

Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Nov 2013

Postby Ice Maiden » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:48 pm

---

JAG
16/11
CBS Drama

Legal drama series about a navy lawyer who travels around the world investigating military cases. Harm defends a seaman who was wrongly convicted of murdering a transvestite hooker 22 years earlier, and Mac strives to prosecute an officer for bigamy.

Comment

Transvestite Hooker? And Murdered? Hmmm we know our place!

---

Alan Carr - Chatty Man
15/11
Channel 4

Comic Alan Carr hosts his own light-hearted chat show. Alan is joined by comedian Russell Brand, who discusses his new DVD The Messiah Complex, and Adam Hills, who chats about his Happyism DVD. Derren Brown talks about his new show, while music is from the Wanted.

To Russell Brand

Alan - "I have got to ask you! Did you or didn't you not have sexual relations with Lauren Harries?!"
(LAUGHTER)
Russell Brand - "Well that's the antiques lad from Wogan isn't it?!
(Gets more laughter)
Alan Carr - points at her picture to laughter - "Why would she lie? What has she to gain from this?

ImageChannel 4

ImageChannel 4

Russel Brand - "I didn't right..." He then told how his mother when she found out chatised Russel for 'using' Lauren, "Oh why would you do that you have only known her for 5 mins..." "Well that's not stopped me in the past mum!"

Comment

Again the issue is their word against each other, I am kinda inclined to believe Lauren here actually, Russell has himself said he was very promiscuous back then, and high a lot. The encounter was supposed to have occurred after she appeared on 'Big Brother's Big Mouth', when Russell Hosted it before he got really famous. But he was out of control back then I have clips of it.

Now he is a world-wide celeb I get the feeling he is distancing himself from it. And Lauren is cashing in. It happens all the time. Sven Goran Eriksson just did something similar with his Auto Biography about his ex's.

What I find annoying here, is Alan, is using trans currency by proxy of Russell to belittle her as a person (in her absence) they show a photo of her to laughter (objectification), Russell laughs at Alan retelling the old 'Mrs Merton' Joke. "So what first attracted you (Debbie McGee) to millionaire Paul Daniels?!"

Basically saying that she is doing the same thing?

In translation this is what is being said - "Lauren is a liar!" "Lauren looks ugly and ridiculous!" "Lauren is getting money off your back!" "Russell refers to Lauren as "the Antiques Lad." (Misgendering she was likely to have always been a girl even then! She said so on CBB) And the audience laughs throughout the scene. However, if it actually happened Lauren is simply telling the truth and is telling her life story? Russell is an exciting part of that. Trans women want to be swept off their feet by handsome men too you know why is Lauren any different?

It was a very loaded conversation and quite transphobic. Had Lauren been a sexy cisgender female Alan would not even have raised the issue! So Transcurrency by proxie and Gay License AGAIN and Channel 4 Again!!! This is like a broken record!

---

Family Guy
'Quagmire's Dad'
13/11
BBC THREE

Subversive animated comedy about the trials and tribulations of American family life. Quagmire's war hero father is in town and his proud son can't wait to introduce him to his friends. Little does the town of Quahog know that Quagmire Snr is about to have a sex-change operation.

Comment
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=388

---

Ladyboys
16/11
Pick TV

Second series of the intriguing and, at times, emotional documentary that travels to Thailand to explore the world of male-to-female transgender persons. The illuminating insight into Thailand's transgender society concludes with
an episode dedicated to the best bits of the second series.

Comment

Good

---

The Xtra Factor
17/11
ITV2

This is a bit of fun but Nicholas tries on Hannah's wig. And femme's about a bit.

Image itv

This is interesting in a positive way as he is well liked, he clearly does have some fun with being a bit gender variant, wearing girl's shoes as a child, and even last week. Seems to be a bit perplexed at this somehow being
'wrong' when challenged.

I am not for one moment suggesting Nicholoas is trans, but the very fact he doesn't freak out over cross-dressing, has almost an innocence and de-machofication (is that a word?) you know when men usually do things like this the over-egg the 'macho' and aggression to balance it (stag nights and wotnot) can only be a good signal to send to his young followers and fans :). I suppose in touch with his 'feminine side' applies, but a bit more than that here?

---

The Moaning of Life
Death
17/11
Sky

Although on hiatus due to the Philippines tragedy. This episode features Karl Pilkington applying make-up to
a dead body. And that they had overdone the make-up and made the corpse look like a tranny.

Karl Pilkington - "She is going to look like a right tranny!" "Like Eddie Izzard or something like that!""I don't do make-up, so I don't know how to put it on?!""It doesn't look good!"

I do not think Karl has any malice in him at all. Its unfortunate. And demonstrates ignorance and how easily terms are adopted by non-transpeople to describe clownish make-up or ugly masculine 'men' in frocks. Its something I feel he needs to be told.

The dead person ends up being immortalised with a bin with plaque on it dedicated to 'Comfort' (her name) on a UK
seafront. It was quite touching actually.

He also used the 'tranny' term here in an earlier series he did, but at least here there were transpeople mocking him back: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3578

Image sky

---

Ladyboy Training 1
18/11
Television X

18-year-old sex addict Holly Harlow is a gorgeous ladyboy and Keisha Kane makes sure she shows her the ropes as she enters a house where sex is always on the menu.

Comment

Listings should be scrambled as well - when the very few transpeople appear in media listings this is what we see!

---

CSI - New York
19/11
5 USA

The Lying Game: The team investigate the murder of a transgender showgirl, but find the case complicated by the

sheer number of suspects. (14/24) [S]

Comment

A twist on 'the Crying Game' of course. We see planty of work for genuine 'real' transwomen in the programme. Good stuff although it is a shame it is based around murder and showgirls. Be nice if the transwoman was a top lawyer for a change.

This is a regular repeat so see you again next month ;) Tivo/Sky+ it ;) If you have not seen it worth watching.

---

Ladyboy Training 2
19/11
Television X

Having passed her audition, tasty 18+ girl Holly gets it on with Keisha Kane and the handsome Paolo, who swings more ways than a Robbie Williams party album!

Comment

This now seems to be a mainstay in public schedules.

---

Ladyboy Training 3
20/11
Television X

Damien has no idea that stunning ladyboy Holly has a secret weapon in her love arsenal. But he's up for anything, especially when Keisha Kane joins in the porno fun.

Comment

'Secret weapon?' = Penis panic in the public (transpanic).

Again no problem with this (as it is a scrambled channel) other than this is in family Television listings across family publications.

---

The Simpsons
'The Great Wife Hope'
19/11
Channel 4

The Great Wife Hope: When the men of Springfield become obsessed with a new form of mixed martial arts, Marge demands that the fights must stop. The promoter of the sport agrees with her request, but only if she can defeat him in the ring.

ImageChannel4

Homer - Mo! I have a confession to make - I am just Homer dressed as Marge!
Mo - But last year I took Barney dressed as Marge! Think how much better they will think you look!

Comment

Meh?! Been done - let's laugh at Homer in a dress... In other words Homer, wanting to dress as Marge to save her from a cage-fight with a man is plot-centric - it makes sense especially when Marge refuses and continues to fight.

That's good - stop there.

But then the writers go ..."Hmmmm, whilst we have Homer in a dress...."

And this is where it goes wrong. It is that extra tranphobic 'juice' (trans-currnecy) that is squeezed now in almost all cartoons that feature cross-dressing.

---

Drifters
20/11
Channel 4

"Energy drink sir?"
"I am a woman!"
"Well, that's confusing(!) you don't look like one!"

ImageChannel4

Its relation to trans issues is simply - why does this matter? Misgendering is a huge problem from the outside in to the transcommunity, although not trans in this instance, it does make light of the matter.

That said I have watched 'Drifters' and am satisfied with their lack of transphobia. So a positive. Now if they'd only apply this to the rest of the 99% they broadcast we may have something to celebrate!"

The show's lead characters are very much a grown up 'Some Girls' BBC Three. And one of the Leads seems to be playing Miranda Hart (BBC TV sitcom 'Miranda')? But all in all watchable and varied.

---

QI XL
'House and Home'
20/11
Dave

Stephen Fry asks unanswerable questions about house and home, with Bill Bailey, Eddie Izzard, Danny Baker and Alan Davies.

Comment

Nice to see Eddie - even in a repeat - however he does make an appearance in 'Live at the Apollo' later in a brand new series on the BBC.

Lots of Eddie this month - always a safe bet for us! And for them don't forget! The BBC needs him! My goodness do they need him!!!

---

Ladyboy Training 4
21/11
Television X

Jeff Ryder is drafted in to have some fun with Keisha and lovely she-male Holly. Totally wild, Holly's out-of-control libido conquers all in an outrageous menage a trois.

Comment

Here we go... She-male, Ladyboy, out of control libido?

If you are trans you are a sex worker it seems. Television listings that are viewable by all the family connect these dots subconsciously.

It is no surprise the general public and the media immediately think transpeoiple are either mentally ill, unstable or prostitutes.

---

The Wright Stuff
21/11
Channel 5

Richard Madeley sits in (whilst Matthew is in the 'I,m a Celebrity' Jungle) with panelists Donal MacIntyre and Daniella Westbrook to discuss the issues of the day alongside guest, Ben Fogle.

ImageFive

Interesting comment here by Daniella Westbrook. And shows a bit of a disregard for the identity of transgender people.

DW - "I think if you are good for the job, and you do a good enough job, it should go to you if you are a man or a woman or you know?!"

No I don't know ;)

Seriously though Many of us have said this. But raising the arms and saying? You Know?!

It's a bit telling.

---

Loose Women
21/11
ITV 1

Nigel Planer and the pub landlord Al Murray join Kaye Adams, Lisa Maxwell, Janet Street-Porter and Jane McDonald this lunchtime.

Comment

Janet Street-Porter - I'll tell you what I liked about my Action Man, they had that 'grippy-hands' didn't they?
Presenter - Janet, why did you have an Action Man?
Janett - Well I wanted to be a boy! So I had an Action Man, I had a train-set and Mechanno! I didn't have a dolly really....

Imageitv

No-one laughed, and that's good.

However had she been someone designated Male at birth saying that, he would have been laughed at example.

A man saying - "Well I wanted to be a girl, so I had a Tiny Tears, and hair and make-up set, I didn't like the boy's toys. They would have either laughed or somehow diminished his machismo (if that was the case).

Big PROBLEM! And kinda why Matthew Wright is actually the only leading male presenter to attempt to offset this a bit!

Of course it can also throw a spanner into the works and a parent may see her as an example of a powerful woman, and if they have a 'daughter' who says they want to be a boy, they may as a result think it is just a phase!

Al Murray makes the regular staple joke about the 'Action Man having no genitals, and that gets a laugh - so even there transphobia is just simmering, that a man with no penis is a laughing stock!

---

Ladyboy Training 5
22/11
Television X

Stunning 18+ girlie boy Holly joins forces with the amazing Keisha Kane to take on lucky stud Damien in a session

that has to be seen to be believed.

Comment

Not as bad as above, but it is what it is...

---

The Change
22/22
BBC Radio 4

Over the Rainbow: Transvestite George confuses Ken when he sees him in a dress. Stars Lynda Bellingham and Chris

Ellison. From December 2001. Episode 4 of 6.

Comment

Good.

---

This Morning
22/11
itv1

Lauren Harries does some valuations of collectables.

Rockin' a new hair colour and style, I think the TM stylists have have got to her :)

Looks good though - suits her.

Imageitv

Imageitv

---

I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!
22/11
ITV1

Presented by Ant and Dec. Hunger is starting to kick in for the celebrities and the pressure mounts for whoever is

next to face a Bushtucker Trial and earn food for camp.

Comment

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4064

Imageitv

---

2 Broke Girls
23/11
Channel 4

And the Worst Selfie Ever: US sitcom about the lives of two New York waitresses in their early twenties. Caroline

believes she has contracted a sexually transmitted disease following a no-strings meet-up with Andy. Meanwhile, Han tries to meet women via an online dating service.

Comment

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4065&p=37055#p37055

Imagec4

---

Valkyrie (2008)
24/11
Five (Channel 5)

Historical drama based on true events. As the tide of WW2 turns inexorably in favour of the Allies, Hitler drives Germany to the brink of destruction. An army officer leads a conspiracy to assassinate the Nazi leader, but a combination of human error and bad luck lead to the plot's failure.

Comment

Eddie Izzard plays a 'good German' in this war epic. He is EVERYWHERE this month :)

---

Ice Age 3 - Dawn of the Dinosaurs
11/24
Channel 4

(2009) Animated adventure. Manny the mammoth and Diego the sabre-toothed tiger must traverse underground world ruled by dinosaurs in order to save Sid the sloth from an angry Tyrannosaur. [S]

Comment

The last place you'd expect transphobic comments - but Simon Pegg who voiced this character has a pretty blotted
copybook in transphobic terms, and it appears in many of his films plus he uses tranny a lot too.

In this instance we have this:

Last shown on
25/12
Film4

AKA Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) - IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1080016/

Buck (Voiced by Simon Pegg)
"Now let me tell you about the time I used a sharpened clam shell to turn a T-Rex into a T-Rachel!"

---

Loose Women
27/11
itv1

The Pantomime Cash-cow literally is upon us in this image of the Panto season.

Its relevance to this log is that many men who play pantomime dames are now flooding the airwaves and digital cables.

Usually they are in a dress and goofing about to get a laugh. 'The funny man in a dress' imprints children from a
very early age! And here is where we find it most!

Christopher Biggins (infamous for using gay license in transgender commentary - calling Lauren Harries He and him is a prime example) promotes his new pantomime role - as a dame, what else?

I find the whole dame thing nauseating tbh. Crossdressing just to be laughed at is no better than blacking up to earn money or sing songs. It is also lucrative and what many of these 'resting' performers do for a year's salary.

I personally have some issues with all this as a child I had to atend many pantomimes as my mother was a dancing teacher. She even produced them. Of course she was unaware at that time the discomfort I felt watching men wear female attire to be humiliated and then I'd turn and look at the audience to see them in hysterics! I at that moment felt I was doomed to a future of shame and underclass!

Imageitv

Trans dramatic roles are a wasteland the one place they could make a huge difference is hiring transgender women (in this instance) to play the dames. It could balance this issue quite well and bring a new dynamic (and employment opportunities) to a rather tired role. And I hear people say - WHAT ABOUT THE TRADITION?! Well it was traditional to enslave, it was traditional for women to be chattle, it was traditional for women to play principle boy in pantos too. Funny now that role is 'traditionally' a washed up soap or X Factor males part these days.

Tradition is pretty flexible and it applies here too.

The men who play these dames of course would argue this out till they are blue in the face? Well they would wouldn't they - its a money-maker - moving on!

More on this in this week Vlog!
http://youtu.be/Dal5bL7i6_4

---

My Super Ex-Girlfriend
27/11
E4

Screwball comedy about a man who must suffer the consequences when he breaks up with his girlfriend - consequences that are magnified by the fact that she has superpowers and is not afraid to use them to wreak revenge on him.

Comment

Eddie Izzard plays the bad guy.

The only negative was a scripted line by the Male lead who is about to find out his Girlfriend is a 'super-hero' and she says I have something to show you and starts to undress. The boyfriend says:

"This is not a 'Crying Game thing is it? Cos I am from Denver!"

Meaning its a bit too much for a yokel to handle! The big city ways 'n' all that.

I have heard this used as a bench-mark in so many different shows its difficult to quantify, The Simpson have used it of course.

So often writers think they are being original but they are not. It would be more original if she was trans and he didn't make any comment about it ;)

---

Live at the Apollo
22/11
BBC ONE

Live at the Apollo returns for a new series from the world-famous venue. In the first episode one of comedy's true legends, Eddie Izzard, introduces two of comedy's biggest stars, South Africa's Trevor Noah and Devon's favourite son Josh Widdicombe.

Comment

Nice to see Eddie live on stage again.

---

Man Down
22/11
Channel 4

Sitcom about a frustrated teacher, written by and starring Greg Davies. Brian finds himself nominated for a Small Business Award and Dan must quickly find a tuxedo and a date to impress his ex. There is unrest at school when the class realise it could be the end of Space Mission.

Comment

Just when you thought it was safe to watch the show again Channel 4 peddle more transphobia based on an earlier episode of this series reported last month. Here. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3997

In this final episode of the series... - what you mean there will be more?

The character attends a small business awards ceremony. This allows the Transphobic Tailor to confront Greg Davies in the toilets.

To add a bit more his cisgender female friend dresses as a man to be his plus 1. However, he assumed she would be there in a dress etc... she turns up as a guy - 'for a laugh' of course.

TRANSCRIPTS

ImageChannel 4

Very Very Bad! Read the Full Review this has also led to petitions and official complaints to Channel 4!
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3997&p=37270

---

Celebrity Juice
22/11
ITV2

The irrepressible Keith Lemon presents another episode of the comedy panel show with regular team captains Holly Willoughby and Fearne Cotton. Guests are Olympic gold medallist Jessica Ennis, TOWIE star Joey Essex, boxing superstar Amir Khan and comedian Joe Lycett.

Comment

The man who ITV cannot live without and as such no matter what he says about the trans community would result in nothing ever happening. He is clearly teflon.

A repeat (on a regular loop) Mocking crossdressing for laughs on this occasion via Alex Reid when he made a video wanting to get back with his Ex Chantelle - he was in boy mode in the video so the following was irrelevant..

Imageitv.

Pretending to be (a hideous) Chantelle he says:

(laughter throughout)

"We had some wonderful times, I remember when we used to wear my bras, we'd wear my knickers, sometimes we'd even put tampons in our bodies, (angrily) but the thing is yeah! Alex it ain't f*cking 'appening!!! You cross-dressing b*tch!!! Leave it!!!"

Belittling what is a difficult issue for transpeople - many of who experiment with crossdressing to stabalise their
depression - is ignorant and cruel - even if you are well known! itv are allowing all this.

Basically what Celebrity Juice is saying is we broke up because you are a cross-dresser and did 'weird things' with my belongings. Do parents of distressed trans kids want to hear that? Will they be laughing?

Some may say these are trivial issues but a lot of trivial issues clubbed together make one BIG problem and that is what we have as a community right now.

Keith Lemon maybe Teflon but sooner or later he is going to be in real trouble with his transphobia - and my goodness there is a lot of it over the years! Make hay while the sun shines.

---

The Jonathan Ross Show
23/11
ITV1

Jonathan welcomes music maestro and X Factor judge Gary Barlow, who will be chatting and performing; Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz star Simon Pegg; comedy royalty Dame Edna Everage; and Coronation Street's Tina McIntyre, the beautiful and talented Michelle Keegan.

Comment

Dame Edna - Barrie Humphries - Nuff Said!

Imageitv

---

Come Dine with Me
24/11
More 4

Cookery-based competition. It's the final night in Wakefield and time for hairdresser Francesca Saynor to make her bid for the prize. She hopes that her simple menu and her back-to-school theme will do the trick.

Comment

I rarely watch CDWM these days - I kinda gave up when I saw them use Tranny about 10 times in one episode for laughs - but when I do its always some nonsense like this.

Again a Channel 4 network staple (like the Joke that Channel 4 would have to close down when 'Friends' ended) and something else they do not alter.

Take this instance and a common theme when any non-trans male cross-dresses

ImageMore4

The fact that the only difference between the male uniform and the female one is a gusset of stitching between the
legs to make a pair of shorts. We see a bawdy behaviour change.

Usually scripted over-familiarity.

ImageMore4

Man walks over embraces and kisses the man saying we are going to get married, and gets more laughs.

ImageMore4

I am merely suggesting that this is derived from Pantomime and another example of if this person were trans just how inappropriate it is.

Would he treat the women there in the same way. Laugh at them for wearing a dress, then go up and physically embrace them with a bear hug and kiss them?

No! There would be serious consequences. So this is actually quite a serious issue.

It basically gives the impression that men dressed as women are 'fair game' and not 'actually deserving of these social (and legal) boundaries mentioned above.

---

Was It Something I Said
24/11
Channel 4

Panel show hosted by David Mitchell. In the final show of the series, team captains Micky Flanagan and Richard Ayoade are joined by panellists Vic Reeves and Josh Widdicombe, while the guest narrator is Kirsty Wark.

Comment

Interesting this!

During the programme they made a comment from a book about Scotland and talked about Dykes, wet Dykes and so on.

You could actually see them really trying to not say anything homophobic. The focus was tangible. No grins, no smiles. Everyone was in an out of body experience.

I just thought - there! it is possible to do this! So why not do it with transpeople and the term 'Tranny?'?

I suppose we matter less than lesbians?

Here is just a little of the transcript in question to see what I mean.

ImageChannel4

This was the solution after tumble weed was rolled around the studio.

ImageChannel4

You do not have to be homophobioc to see what is happening here. It is a dream for a homophobic comedian straight off the bat! However, by underplaying it and allowing the viewer to fill in the blanks it has even more impact.

Some might say, why are they not stating the obvious here?

The humour was derived from Kirsty Wark explaining they are stones arranged geographically in Scotland and Vic Reeves saying they are dry stone walls....

So this is an example of some progress, or a very clever 'elephant in the room' style comedy that could be coming!

A bit like Bruce Lee when he said - "it is the art of fighting without fighting!" The art of comedy without comedy?

I mentioned this to a fellow activist and lesbian, and she said, "that it was pretty clear they chose this passage on purpose and it is just as bad as saying it for a laugh... what is the difference?" However I think it is a lot more subtle than that. Maybe even High Brow intellectual comedy some may understand better by some than others.

After all what is there to be offended about? They never said it!

That said, what if he was talking about working with Transmissions in a garage as a boy and said 'Tranny' throughout?

You see what I mean?

The truth is he wrote an entire book and this is the passage they chose. So my colleague may actually be right.

This is something we need to be aware of - that's all. Rather than drop phobic comedy the art of delivery will change instead.

---

The Wright Stuff_
25/11
Channel 5

Richard Madley and the panel covering for Matthew in the Jungle made some comments as did everyone about Matthew in the Shower with the Bikini.

I think irregardless of who he is and the fact he is a transgender ally, That Matt is surrounded by body fascists!

Amy the model in the jungle with her bikini - nobody says a word. I know it is the way it is. But it is also in part why women suffer so and become invisible after 40. Matthew kinda took that 'moment' away and claimed it for himself. It worked actually! As it made people think a little about this whole 'shower scene business' and how silly it all is.

But people pretending to vomit and so on on his own show when he was having a laugh and actually making quite an important point about the media's obsession with beauty and female beauty for the most part... hmmm...

---

Come Fly with Me
25/11
BBC Three

Come Fly with Me - Airline sketch show Comedy series, with Matt Lucas and David Walliams.

FlyLo Airline's Customs area arrest David Schwimmer (Ross from Friends).

Transcript

They Hold David Schwimmer in customs with a collection of porn featuring...wait for it. Matt Lucus and David Walliams smugly read off a list of offensive DVD titles he has in his possession - for laughs.

Imagebbc

DW - "One copy chicks with dicks, shemaleorgy 3, tranny mania, ladyboy lickfest, shemale sandwich..."

Imagebbc

DS's defence is that Matt Le Blanc (Joey from Friends) asked him to do it.

David Schwimmer - (TALKS TO CAMERA) "Matt, you are sick and need help! I will do anything in my power to help you get it!"

So even here they fail, as in some half-arsed way to defend this sketch, by suggesting it is 'wrong' they also imply that finding transgender women sexually attractive is a sickness.

Seriously just stop you are out of your depth. and drowning. Britain's Got Talent is back soon and DW will be on there cashing all this in again just wait 'n' see.

Comment

There are few finer examples, of Transphobia by proxy http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=3000 and Gay Licence http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2976 running hand in hand than this sketch repeated this week on BBC Three. It was first shown a few years ago - we have been here before - yeah the broadcaster that is

supposedly having 'interactions' with Trans Media Charities for the past few years, and like their public broadcaster associates at Channel 4, they simply are unable to change anything. The smiling selfies around conference tables are worthless when they repeat junk like this. One or two positive portrayals, or busing in Eddie Izzard a few times a year, whilst lovely, is NOT enough! As that good stuff is annually drowned out by the flood of transphobia peddled around it - there is simply no balance - and that's a real shame!

This sketch (for example) On the one hand (no pun intended) could be seen as, "its only a laugh isn't it?" But lets face it, these two have objectified and 'othered' transpeople in anyway they can to make a living - their entire act is Dick Emery's anyway, but at least his was set in the 70s. Only the other day David was on 'Alan Carr Chatty Man' mocking Lauren Harries - because he sometimes wears a dress for laughs he is somehow an untouchable spokesperson for our community - its absurd! He gives the impression he is being supportive to the trans community, but like the Panto Dame http://youtu.be/Dal5bL7i6_4 , would unlikely do it unless it either gets him noticed or gets paid for it. And this is bad news!

I have no idea why they chose to repeat this but the sad thing is they have sat down and mentally worked through this gag together in some office long before broadcast. David Schwimmer even being bussed in to add further weight to it and even perhaps get it through the door - well he is famous and so it must be OK?!

Newsflash Dave - it ain't!

When they describe these DVD titles they are in fact describing quite often vulnerable, abused, exploited and physically threatened transpeople living in poverty, and have just crafted another Machiavellian way to script these
hate-crime words on the BBC without anyone realising - it's a disgrace!

Wanna learn about labels - then watch this!
http://youtu.be/r107ebcvd4Y

They then stoop to transsexual sleeze and use 'ladyboy', 'tranny', 'shemale' and anything else they can with David Schwimmer in customs carrying 'illegal transsexual porn'.

Firstly anyone with an internet connection can see this type of pornography in an instant, so this is out of it's time already (anachronistic comedy that makes no sense). So it is just clearly a convoluted way to get to say these hate-crime words for laughs! LAUGHS!!! I am shocked!

Second if you want 'illegal' porn there are 'better' subjects they could have used. But that's too close to the ousted Frankie Boyle's territory (Actually I have not heard FB even say this stuff on telly as bad as his content is deemed to be) and would damage the career of someone 'having a laugh'- why is not David carrying (these are made-up titles as an example) 'Bestiality Boys'? Or Pedo Today magazine? No, it's transpeople yet again that are the scapegoats for comics. Sanctioned by the BBC - AGAIN!

I mean it is not like they didn't know first time around in 2010 - they are publishing it again after all!

I'll say it once and I'll say it again these two are a menace. But 'national treasures' can say and do what they want...FFS BBC get some backbone and lay this to rest. They won't though, they will not take one bit of notice of anything we say. And yet again why they, along with Channel 4, have failed for a third year to climb out of the Worst Broadcasters pit in our TV awards - thats a sneak preview!

---

Celebrity Juice
26/12
ITV2

The irrepressible Keith Lemon presents the comedy panel show with regular team captains Holly Willoughby and Fearne Cotton. Joining the panel this week is teen pop sensation Conor Maynard and comic Chris Ramsey.

Comment

They have Katie Price on This was first aired 11/10/12 and of course they mock Alex Reid a lot. Why because Alex (Roxanne) is a cross-dresser. So they play the green screen game where she has his body and has to guess who she is... They of course chose the most extreme clubland images of Roxanne. This has been arranged by the production team as Katie does not know(?) but obviously guesses. So they again have likely sat down with blank pieces of paper around a table and gone.

"You know what? As we have Katie Price on we have to mock Alex Reid..."

And then it ends up with cross-dressers across the land being humiliated.

Again if Katie Price was wearing this they would not be laughing, they'd be jeering and whopping in the audience and Keith would be drooling all over her! It stems from Pantomime and laughing at cross-dressed people - but that is another story - check out our Youtube Channel for the episode on Pantomime Dames.

KP - Am I English or American?
Fearne Cotton - English yes.

Imageitv

KP - Male?
Fearne Cotton makes a grimace...

Imageitv

It is the image that just does not stop giving (comedy wise), this is what I fear any transwoman breaking through and becoming famous will face. No matter what they do, be it fun or folly the press will find a similar image to this which may be one moment in an entire year of it not happening - this was clearly a function somewhere as there is invitation tucked into the bra - could be from a club or party or even private intimacy. And they will be haunted by it for ever!

This is also transphobic. As it is using an image of a transperson to ridicule them beyond what is deemed an acceptable time-frame. If this was in 'Heat Magazine' or the Mirror's '3AM Girls' the day after the party, then fine selfies, all smiles etc...

Fun! But 3 or 4 years later it being used to abuse (and in this intance that is what it is) the same person who has now divorced from the person featured, is outrageous. It is not a crime to wear this, some may say it is a crime against fashion. But that is not the contenxt here, it is to mock a 'man dressed as a woman'. That is all it is.

---

I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!
27/11
ITV1

The celebrities feel the effects of camp life as they struggle to win food in the Bushtucker Trial, and the competition hots up.

Comment

Some light relief here as Mathew is told in a letter that his wife Amilia wants her bikini.

In the Jungle Telegraph Mtthew tells us that, "It is not her bikini, it is my bikini! If she wants it she will have to buy one herself!!!"

Imageitv

Love it!

Matthew is a good trans ally and many years of being ontop of transphobia when it rears its ugly head in the press, has always been diffused with grace and dignity by his presenting skills - still unequalled amongst transpositive TV presenters (pun intended). I think because he walks the walk! And this will become apparant next month on his show.

He is one of Eddie Izzard's 'total clothing rights' persons bursting to get out :)

---

ER
29/11
Pick TV

Drama series set in a Chicago hospital. Hathaway is faced with a heart-rending decision, Lewis is worried about Cvetic's depression. Carter treats a transvestite. And Ross continues his affair with a medical supplies saleswoman.

Comment

This Suicide episode of a transgender woman (althought already in our archives a long time ago) and despite being upseting it was nevertheless interesting to be reminded of it. This episode did influence BBC 'Doctors' who had a similar , I am going to jump' episode although in the BBC one they didn't. At least ER went for it and showed the truth of gender dysphoria - although brutal must still be applauded - 20 years ago this caused shockwaves.

FULL REVIEW
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4074

ImagePickTV

---

This Morning
29/11
ITV1

This is interesting and Eamonn Holmes kinda failed a little here. Probably without thinking, the truth will out. This Morning are still way up there as one of the best shows for transpeople, but he has to be careful what he says - even in jest. Here is why.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4071&p=37160#p37160

Imageitv

FULL REVIEW

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4071&p=37160#p37160

---

His Name is Julie
29/11
RT (Freeview 84)

Description

A typical Russian man might well serve in the army and graduate from higher education. Yury Ovodov was one such man; he worked as a sports journalist and has two children, a boy and girl, from two marriages. Despite an outwardly successful life, he always felt that something was wrong. Then, in his late 40s, he finally accepted that he needed a change; a big one. He could no longer live as a man, and became, Julia. He’s not afraid and is working for enough money for the surgery needed to complete his transformation. From shopping to hormone treatment, Julia does everything she can to become the woman she wants to be, while family, friends and society are divided over this new identity. Julia’s story is on RT.

Comment

ImageRT

FULL REVIEW
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4088

---

So endeth another month of happy transempowering television - yeah right - see you next time!

Don't have nightmares - I mean there is an editor right now putting together then next transabuse. :roll:

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Feel Free to comment :)

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Christine

Postby Christine » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:25 am

Feel Free to comment :)
I'm not the best person to comment as I hardly watch any TV (Man Vs. Food and Jools Holland is my lot, pretty much: real telly connoisseur here! :D) but I just wanted to say wow: a real mind-boggling amount of work went into that. :o Sometimes I see a catalogue of people I want to throttle, but I am adept at dwelling on the more negative bits...

Return to “UK Monthly Transgender Television Logâ€