UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Jan 2014

Every month we list UK programmes the feature transgender issues good and bad. If you work in the media this is a must see monthly list.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Jan 2014

Postby Ice Maiden » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:00 pm

So here we go doesn't time fly!

What is broadcast in the UK reflects on you as a transperson. Every month it is a case of spot the positives. Almost all television featuring anything remotely associated with transpeople is negative, comical or are negative stereotypes.

High Points

The acceptance speeches for the Transgender Television Awards :) Of course!
click here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4129&p=37759

Low points
Hayley's Death - the end of an era! And goodbye to the only trans soap character on television (for now). And Crocodile Dundee sexually assaulting a transwoman - it was of its time like Ace Ventura - these films need to be on post water-shed at least. This is not kids stuff! It may indoctrinate young people to feel this is how you treat trans schoolmates.
hashtag #stillworktodowith80sand90smovies

Don't forget our Soap storyline Archives
Bye Bye Hayley - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1441&start=55

All the following clips have been archived for evidential purposes should they be needed.

---

Liberty of London
Dec/Jan
Channel 4

Comment

Grayson Perry pops up on Liberty of London on this fly-on-the-wall series about a London Department Store well over 100 years old.

---

The Simpsons
'Any Given Sundance'
31/12
Channel 4

Lisa makes a candid documentary about life in the Simpson household. Her film is a success at the Sundance Film Festival, but turns her family into national hate figures.

Comment

Marge walks in on a trans film.

Image Channel 4

Image Channel 4
Is this the face of someone happy with transissues? We have all seen that face before. I don't really wanna see it at tea-time particularly.

Marge is shocked and distressed to see a cross-dresser applying make-up in a movie.

Nothing to report other than the joke is she sees the movie title 'Regularsville' and she then says when she leaves in a panic and says, "I get it(!), every movie is the opposite to what it means." So we can glean from that that a transgender person is 'irregular'?

This is actually a bit of a problem and why trans who do not present cisnortmatively (who look like 'men' dressed as women) get so much abuse. Our own community is no better in this regard as look at how the community are celebrating and who the community abuse. We need to take a good hard look in the mirror too sometimes!

Being picky here maybe, but nevertheless! Not positive and to steal a joke from this years British Comedy Awards, When Jonathan Ross remarked that, "something was as old as a Channel 4 episode of the Simpsons..." on that we agree.

---

Stanley Baxter - The Many Faces of
01/01
BBC TWO

Fans including Michael Grade, Barry Cryer and Bill Oddie celebrate the extraordinary career of entertainer Stanley Baxter, who captivated huge TV audiences for twenty years. Also in HD. [S]

Comment

This is an interesting one!

People of my age will remember Stanley, and like Danny La Rue he really put on a show! The days of high budget drag, so expensive it would make a BBC executive cry today! However, due to the sheer magnitude of the spectacles Stanley put on, to snowballing costs, the fact that he was one of the biggest stars on television of the 70s and 80s. His ability to mimic, and metamorphose - remember this was the time of Doctor Who and rubber suits! Stanley managed to be all the people (inc women) he played! He is therefore quite an 80s rarity! Again he was of his time. This is a look back at a man who was Mr Showbiz! This was interesting to watch. I suspect many watching will remember that they may have even been inspired to go 'out' as if he could 'pass' then anyone could! A bit like when the Two Ronnies dragged-up!

However, seen today, it is really showing its age. I also watched a tribute to the Late Dave Alan - and what a talent, he was the alternative comic 20 years before they turned up! His act therefore saw out the transition from nightclub comics to yoof comedy of the 80s. There certainly would have been no 'Father Ted' without him going first! And dare I say it no Mrs Brown's Boys either as both shows mock the Catholic Church. Unfortunately Mrs Brown's Boys is being made today! When it would be better seen as a show made in the 70s we are looking back on. It just is out of its time and mocking a man in a dress. This is the BBC's prime time offering now! See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4155 for more on my view of Mrs Brown's Boys and why its a problem for the BBC rather than the asset they think it is.

Stanley got out at the top of his game! I just wish Brendan O'Caroll would do the same!

I mean seriously? in 2014 a man in a dress (take the dress away and there is no show - Mr Brown's Boys? Think about it.) self-mocking for wearing the dress. Its regressing. Television has lost its way. The executives are idiots the commissioning editors are not qualified to do what they do. They boast of inclusive and minority programming but the truth is transgender people still suffer at their hands because they are institutionally transphobic to their very core - like some addict who will not see what they are doing until it is too late.

I maybe a trans-specific media critic, but remember most of the shows I watch are not trans programmes, I pick out trans issues from mainstream shows, I am therefore watch a LOT of television for this to happen. And can honestly say its a disappointment and why it is losing ground to Netflix!

Don't say I didn't warn you BBC and Channel 4 - I have been telling you for years! But what do I know eh? A lot more than these media graduates with arses for elbows it seems.

You know where I am...

In the meantime we will just go around you until you play catch-up. Maybe one day the BBC will get our best broadcaster? Something to strive for eh?

---

The Simpsons
'Treehouse of Horror XIV'
02/01
Channel 4

Three terrifying tales: Homer takes over for the Grim Reaper and finds Marge's name on his list; Professor Frink reanimates his father's cryogenically-frozen corpse; Bart and Milhouse play pranks with a watch that can stop time. With the guest voices of Jennifer Garner and Oscar De La Hoya.

Comment

ImageChannel 4

Lisa's Face here is enough I think and very much akin to the shock on Marge's above. It would have been nice if they had scripted her happy in this shot. Its just another negative reaction to gender roles being changed.

Again little things, but a grain of sand is small but look at a beach and one grain in a shoe can infect a foot! - they all add up to something heavy and difficult to budge - nay - permanent even!

---

Birds of a Feather
'Gimme Shelter'
02/01
ITV1

Return of the classic Essex-set sitcom about two sisters. Sharon is back living in her council flat and Tracey is still in Chigwell with younger son Travis - but what has become of Dorien? What can bring the sisters back together, and who else might return to the nest?

Comment

Now! The long awaited new series that was recommissioned after the popular stage show version (a bit like 'Mrs Brown's Boys' in that sense). This is something new, never been shown before on British Television.

So just how modern is it now? I wonder just how long they can last without dipping into transgender currency eh? Start your watches!

Imageitv

Transcript

Tracy - "You were right I was wrong! He is a pig! I caught him going through my knicker drawer so I slung him out!"

Sharon - "You mean he's more Martha than Arthur?!!!"

(Laughter)

[END]

Give me strength!

I think this 'joke' was carried down from the mountain with Moses! It also has the tawdry issue of 'going through the knicker drawer' like some perverts. It is OK for her of course - she is a victim of this indiscretion. Just unpleasant and it again gets a laugh. It turns out that he was looking for money and his passport to leave. Nevertheless that's how the gag should have opened. Why would she keep that in the knicker drawer anyway? A fabricated transphobic joke - that has no relevance whatsoever and could have been avoided) that is unnecessary.

The problem here is the women - especially Dorien Green (Dorian Grey get it?) became a bit of a drag icon back then in the 80s - so naturally as mainly an all women led cast they can use 'gay licence' in the same way Gay men do when mocking trans issues. There is this idea that if a woman makes a transphobic Joke it is OK. http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2976

But it is written by men remember! 'Marks and Gran' (the writers) made a slip here. This is a rare one as they created one of my favourite TV Series 'Goodnight Sweetheart' (TV series) in that whole series there were only two trans references. And pretty harmless one was with forged banknotes and Gary accidentally showed a modern £10 pound note with the Queen on, and as he is a time-traveler the Policeman (Reg) asks what it is - Gary pretending to be a spy says, "They are forgeries Reg, that we are taking off the streets, the Germans are saying our King is a transsexual!"

And one other instance where Gatu dresses as Maid Marion for a fancy dress. However that was a series that ran for years! And very rare - I am not even sure Marks and Gran even wrote that episode - would have to check. So for episode one of BOF to go for a trans joke so soon worries me a little! I will watch the rest of the series with interest.

---

Benidorm
02/01
ITV1

The Garveys' holiday starts going wrong as soon as they arrive at the airport. Liam and Lesley intervene when Kenneth gets strange messages. Donald and Jacqueline stage a protest.

Comment

Well it is back, the ITV shows that makes Carry On Movies look like Hamlet!

Part of the cast is Les/Leslie a cross-dresser. Played by non-transperson Tim Healy. Clearly chosen for his Daily Mail-esque... classic builder (he was on of the stars of building comedy drama series 'Auf Wiedersehen, Pet') in a dress image they so love over in the red top newspapers.

On the face of it Getting a person like Tim would be ideal, he ticks all the boxes really, he is not cisnormative (in other words he is obviously bussed in to look like a 'man in a frock'), he is masculine sounding, he is funny (at times) and he has a son who adores him and her. He has a job where he can be Leslie at work.

However, it is only a small step to have hired a transperson to have done this! Such a small step. That by not doing so have turned being trans into a clown, something to mock, the jester of the series if you will. Walking (on purpose) with bow-legs he trundles about. Laugh at me I am in a dress! Like Mrs Brown's Bows this is anachronistic BS! What are they playing at?

Eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted the irony of Channel 4's actor Perry Benson who was the 'Man Down' Transphobe glaring at Leslie - here is the problem of small world casting! Spread your net casting agents! The two shows now overlap and it feels like the transphobe is now on holiday.

This was Man Down
Image Channel 4 ( viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3997 )

And here he is in The new series of Benidorm with Leslie.

Image itv

Image itv

Image itv

This would have been perfect had Tim been transgender - a transitioning transwoman even. This role does not call for the glamour, youth and sex appeal required in the sex trade. It is a golden opportunity for an older transwoman who can act to have a chance of some long term work (rather than cameos)! And this opportunity was taken by Tim - that's really a problem!

We laugh with transgender actors - people laugh at imposters!

---

The Rebound
03/01
BBC ONE

Comedy. A divorcee tries to build a new life for her family in New York and embarks on a relationship with a much younger man. Contains some strong language. Also in HD. [2009] [S]

Comment

Opening sequence with credits still rolling child asks mother...

"Are we going to meet any transvestites?"
"What's a transvestite?!"
"It is a person with a penis and a vagina! And they live in the city!"

This is almost the exact same gag used in the BBC Sitcom 'Outnumbered' when his kid asked the same sort of gag.

However, the cruel thing is, the kid is NOT asking this, they are reading the words of an ADULT in a script and repeating what they are saying for comedy! Were the child spontaneously asking such a thing then most of us although upset, would likely just accept it and that it is a learning experience unfiltered 'from the mouths of babes' 'n' all that. This has no such defence. In the exact same way a puppet or a cartoon character does the exact same thing - see BBC Three 'Family Guy' for more on that.

---

Not Trans but funny and worth saying

This Morning
03/01
ITV1

Eamonn Holmes talking about dieting clubs.

Eamonn - "25 years oh my goodness...Have the amount of male members grown during that time?!""That's rather an unfortunate thing to say, I should have said do you have many more men going to them I should have said!" (LAUGHING).

Funny! :) And no doubt an outtake for 'It'll be alright on the Night 3000' or whatever number they are up to now?!!!...

---

Celeb Big Bro's Bit On The Psych
04/01
Channel 5

Comment

Lauren Harries gets some work judging the outfits of the entrants to 'Celebrity Big Brother' This Year. All very nice for her and was OK at it. She has done it before - with Pete Burns. This time with someone else (Laura Jackson).

---

The IT Crowd Manual
04/01
E4

Documentary about Graham Lineham's popular sitcom, set in the IT department of Reyholm Industries, narrated by Stephen Mangan. Features interviews with the cast and guest stars including Matt Berry and Noel Fielding.

Comment

Where to begin with this?

Well there is the infamous episode where Douglas has a fight with April (the transsexual) that ends with her unconscious on the floor after being smashed through a plate glass window to the hilarity of the live studio audience - yup I am not making this up!

Image Channel 4/Retort/Freemantle

So in this programme they reminisce about the 'good old days' and this episode was discussed.

The actress (non-trans) who played April spoke - not about this role though - interesting.

But what the talking heads said about the episode was just depressing and it is on a Channel 4 network - in this case E4.

So lets begin.

The scene is shown where Douglas the boss of the company is in bed with a woman. The woman says. "I used to be a man"- he thinks she said, "I am from Iran." And has a great time with her, they drink alcohol, play darts etc. She basically behaves as a stereotypical male. Then she says..."No I said I used to be a MAN!" To which he replies OH GOD!!!

"OH GOD!!!"

Then there is a fight that ends in her demise.

The pundits well...?

Talking head #1.
Matthew Crosby
"It is the perfect relationship, they are watching the darts, they are in bed eating take-away, they are having competitions to see who can down the fastest pint then going home and shagging each other! It really is the perfect relationship for Douglas until he realises exactly what is going on!"

TRIVIA
P.S This is Matthew Crosby (above) this year on BBC Three btw in 'Badults' where he stalked a woman.
Police Officer - "If I see you in the vicinity of that leisure centre again it will be more than a caution, is that clear sir?

Image BBC

Anyways, back to the main topic...

Talking Head #2
Boyd Hilton
"The Story is this woman ends up being a man.[gets a bit tongue-tied]. A man who has had a sex-change..."

Just stop! It is clear noone at Channel 4 has a clue about trans-issues! All I can think is they must all be playing Fruit Ninja at the meetings they have with trans activists as they clearly ain't listening. Lip-service is actually worse than doing nothing as it takes the same energy to do it right and yet they still choose to do it wrong!

---

Mrs Brown's Boys New Year Special
05/01
BBC ONE

2/2. Who's a Pretty Mammy?: Agnes is on a mission to make sure grandson Bono is not sent to the local primary school. Contains strong language. Also in HD. [S]

Comment

Tired old fashioned belongs in the 1970s.

Get your finger out your ... BBC and create something original and fresh - like 'Orange is the New Black'. Bolt on an actual transperson to Eastenders - I have been saying this for years - so just do it!

In Eastenders Danny Dyer's son has just come out as gay - another gay storyline ffs there was one of those only last year what about a trans one eh?

Its like some time-warp - they had Gay storylines in the 80s anyone remember Barry and Colin?

The BBC would not return to the rubber monster suits of 'Doctor Who' from the 70s yet they do so with this? Gay has been done - time for a transgender person (A REAL ONE!) BBC!

---

Edinburgh Comedy Fest Live
06/01
BBC THREE

2/2. Shappi Khorsandi hosts a show at the Edinburgh Fringe featuring Sean Lock, Jack Whitehall, Adam Hills, Emo Philips and Jon Richardson. Contains some strong language. Also in HD. [S]

Comment

Shappi - the comic who joked, "Oh a wolf whistle, I didn't get that when I used to be a man..." - introduces a few comics.

Marlon Davies - "I know what you are thinking! Another Female south African Runner!"

Imagebbc

Of course correct gendered language does not really excuse what is transphobia by proxy of himself (in this instance. He is a man, and in so many words that is exactly what he is saying about Caster Semenya. In other words he is using the term female but using a male as a comparison.

Clever but also insulting - like we didn't spot it? The art of comedy without comedy is now upon us as I have warend previously. Allowing the audience to fill in the transphobia is going to get worse.

I stated that transphobic comedy will shift away from being 'obvious' and into a new territory where it is still used but in a way that follows 'the rules'.

"She looks like a man" - correct pronoun usage.
"When I dress as a woman I look like a tranny" - indirect transphobia.
"She was beautiful for a tranny!" - Complimentary transphobia.
"My beautiful Thai wife died of Testicular cancer" (Jimmy Carr Gag) - Transphobia but bubble-wrapped.

This above is what you have to expect - this is the 'second wave' - I will write a paper on this when I have time ' Second wave transphobia' and Second Wave activism is coined now here. It is because the comics cannot let the cash cow of transphobic jokes alone, they are all many have to get a guaranteed laugh. They will become increasingly sophisticated and more difficult to spot but be equally if not more damaging, because many thugs lack the sophistication to dissect the comedy.

This Joke by Marlon is a prime example of something that will instantly translate to the pub and even become racist as white guys may use racism by proxy of transphobia in this instance. In other words, "you look like a black woman! Mate!"

A pointless and silly joke that is on the BBC! AGAIN!

If you want to find out more about 'Gay Licence' and 'Transphobia by Proxy' click here.
http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=3000
or Gay Licence
http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2976

---

Top of the Pops- 1979 - Big Hits
06/01
BBC FOUR

Featuring the Jam, the Specials, Madness, the Selecter, Elvis Costello, Squeeze, Gary Numan, Dame Edna Everage, the Ruts, Racey, the Nolans, Lene Lovich, Chic and Chas & Dave. Also in HD. [S]

Comment

Well just a note to editors really, whilst they continue to frantically erase Jimmy Saville from TOTP History its a shame their hand didn't slip and remove this spectacle.

Like some Manic drunk father at a wedding, there is what is the spectacle of Barrie Humphries cashing in on what went on to be like some strange acid trip, where he managed to make such a career out of this. There must be something very odd in humans if this satiates them?

I personally find Dame Edna just something that should have faded away 30 years ago. Sadly we had him doing the usual rounds only this month. And last month on the Royal Variety doing the exact same act!

I just do not get it?

But this is what people think of when we say cross-dress... as what else do they have for comparison? A Mail headline?

The trans community needs positive reinforcement and this is not it...

Imagebbc

---

Secrets of the Living Dolls
06/01
Channel 4

Documentary that delves into the secretive world of 'female masking', where men transform their appearance - and gender - by dressing up in elaborate rubber suits.

Comment

This reminded me very much of the reaction in the 80s to most things trans. It had that same 'other-worldly' feel, strange, exotic, odd dangerous, or for some - just weird.

However, there seems to be the murmur that many or these men - it is interesting they were all men after all - want to do this. I mean don't women want to be beautiful versions of themselves?

So I feel this is cross-dressing inside of a tank. The skin offering some escape.

I have met many people who feel they are 'a woman trapped in a man's body' this is exactly that personified.

I definitely feel there is some trans element to this. Although I suspect they would argue there isn't.

After all the extreme version and far more expensive (and dangerous/risky) is the extreme body modification that some high profile trans performers have taken to. And using their own skin in the same way this rubber is used.

I'll leave it there.

Worth watching if you can see it on 4OD.

This is what we had to say on the matter
http://youtu.be/lW80sh-A_Jk WATCH THE VIDEO OF OUR TRANSGENDET TV SHOW NOW!

---

Loose Women
07/01
ITV1

Presenter Paul Ross and Emmerdale star Emma Atkins join Kaye Adams, Jamelia, Janet Street-Porter and Sally Lindsay for some lunchtime chat.

Comment

"I was bad enough imagining Paul Ross in Speedos (re reality show 'Splash!') but I have now got him in Bra and Knickers!" (after Jamelia said she wouldn't wear a bikini on the beach as it is just Bra and Knickers).

Paul makes a stupid face...

He is not wearing them it is just a comment from the presenter to get a laugh.

Big laugh from audience.

Intent is everything, if she was making some statement - like Matthew Wright on body fascism and 'total clothing rights' - and saying, "what is the problem I will wear what I want!?" Then fine, the problem comes when it is just said as a throw-away unrelated one-liner to get a laugh - the funny man wears women's clothes...

Then when he came on and sat down they asked him again about it to which he replied with the one liner that all men joke with - "Only at the weekends!" Gets another laugh.

Lazy!

"They are not women's clothes! They are my clothes" - (Eddie Izzard). ;) Great one liner that! Similar to when Matthew Wright said in the Jungle when quizzed about wearing his wife's Bikini - he remarked, "It is my Bikini, if my wife wants to have one she will have to buy one!"

Excellent!

---

Ladyboys
08/01
Pick

Going the Distance: Second series of the intriguing and, at times, emotional documentary that travels to Thailand to explore the world of male-to-female transgender persons. This opening episode explores the relationships between British ex-pats who have left their families, friends and careers to start afresh with their ladyboy lovers. The cameras follow a former university lecturer who has set up home with his transgender lover. Life seems sweet, but they have yet to convince the teacher's son.

Comment

Regular Monthly fayre from Pick, now on a loop. Well its something they know is well received (no pun intended) by the viewers inc transpeople, they have something to be proud of and know it. Now a word to Channel 4 look back through your archives you may find something worth showing - I can help ;)

---

Secret Diary Of A She-Male 2
09/01
Television X

Transsexual Girlfriend Experience: A frustrated guy has always wanted to sample the delights of a lovely ladyboy, and now is his chance. Go on, give it a try.

Comment

Talking of Loops - this is the opposite.

Although it is scrambled it is the non Thai woman pretending to be Katoi and selling sex in the general listings that's now in part causing the problems many will have re internet blocks.

Yet no such block on Freeview TV! The listings are there for all to read.

Again I am amazed this channel even makes any money when there are sites like Xhamster that are free - yeah go have fun there - I am not a prude I just think that this is something that should not be listed other than have a weblink to their site where the listings should be.

Transpeople will always be seen as sex workers without some changes in this regard.

---

Russell Howard - Right Here Right Now
09/01
Dave

The star of Russell Howard's Good News sees his nationwide sell-out, three-times-extended live stand-up show broadcast on television for the first time. Right Here Right Now has been performed live to over 240,000 people with three sold-out dates at London's O2 arena.

Comment

Does an 'I am wearing women's pink knickers' for a gag - lot of underwear jokes around lately - not least the assault over wearing them on Channel 4's 'Man Down' for laughs and of course 'Loose Women' (above).

Drip, drip, this tickle feed of jokes like this has an almost subliminal affect on the audience and writers, and it shows. The data does not lie!

---

Birds of a Feather
09/01
ITV1

Essex-set sitcom about two sisters. Sharon finds that looking after Dorien's every wish is a full time job, and with money tight, Sharon and Tracey take Dorien's designer clothes to a car boot sale to raise funds. But it is not enough - Dorien will have to start earning too.

Comment

Second week in a row and the unyielding dependency of cross-dressing gas continues.

This time Dorien has to sell her designer clothes.

They say she is a male drag queen down on his luck.

Well at least they didn't say 'tra*ny' and as an actress they are mocking her sexual attractiveness.

Nevertheless, the male penmanship in this sitcom is obvious. I just do not think they would speak about her in that way. Unless a man told them to. The empowering femme sitcoe therefore is a bit of a misogynistic sham really!

---

Benidorm
09/01
ITV1

Cocktail waiter Jason Gallagher turns up at the Solana looking for bar work. Mateo jealously tells him there are no jobs available, but when he skives off, Jason hops over the bar and attracts a crowd with his spectacular cocktail making. Tiger persuades Michael to help him steal the Solana's all-inclusive wristbands and sell them in town, resulting in Neptune's bar being completely rammed - just in time for the cocktail-making competition between Mateo and Jason.

Comment

Another massive Fail by ITV here! Shame on you.

Hiring a non-transperson to play a trans role rears its ugly head in this scene. This should be challenged by OFCOM!

From the beginning I have had serious reservations about Tim Healy playing this character (Les/Leslie) had Tim been say a trans woman yet still looked like Tim and was the same age I would have been overjoyed. Transpeople have a certain ownership of this sort of thing - in the same way racial slurs would likely be negotiated with a black actor in the script. But when they are not then it is miserable and abusive hate-crime terminology said for nothing more than cheap end-of-the-pier laughs!

This is a gay character saying this - so there is some 'Gay Licence' going on here - like it is somehow fine if he says it - IT AINT!

Read about what Gay Licence is here http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2976

So you can kinda see my point (no pun intended).

Dialogue (TRANSCRIPT):

Lesley tries to move Mateo off her son who was making cocktails.

Image itv

Image itv

They end up in this sexual position.

The gay character says:

"This is basically like my DVD collection...without a tranny pensioner of course!"

Image itv

Seriously it don't get much worse than this. I never thought I'd say 'Carry On!' films had more dignity - but they do!

Scraping the barrel and this is not the first time ITV have described Leslie as a tranny.

Search our site at the top of this page for more on 'Benidorm'

---

Crocodile Dundee (1986)
11/01
Channel 4

Comedy about an unconventional, laid-back Australian crocodile hunter who gives an American reporter a taste of his hair-raising adventures. Discovering that the urban myths about her subject are true, the journalist invites him on a return visit to New York where he finds the concrete jungle can be every bit as challenging as the outback.

Comment

Channel 4 broadcast the infamous transgender sexual assault for laughs pre-watershed.

If you have never seen this - where have you been? - like 'Ace Ventura - Pet Detective' (later) there is a sexual assault in it of a transgender woman.

Here is the transcript.

Mick Dundee chats up a girl (Gwendoline) in a bar (played by cisgender actress). His cabbie friend says:

Image Channel 4

Cabbie - "I've been trying to tell you all night [5mins?] That girl...she's a guy! A man dressed up as a girl!

Mick - Nah!

Image Channel 4

Cabbie - "Swear!"

Image Channel 4

Mick walks over and puts his hand on her genitals and squeezes them - she leaves in shock.

Image Channel 4

Mick (POINTING) - "That was a guy! Guy dressed up like a Sheila!" "Look at that!"

Image Channel 4

Bar all jeers and laughs at her.

Later...

He attends a party where there is a masculine-looking hostess.

He does the same but in this case it is fine because she is a real woman! He smiles and shakes her hand.

Image Channel 4

Image Channel 4

This is the trouble, schedulers do not know the content of what they show and it is very deep-rooted transphobia. It is rife and as I say institutional.

Movies were of their time and there are a number we have to challenge, but they are likely to be cheap schedule fillers and difficult to shift! 5 USA slipped up but at least it was on a quite digital channel with Ace Ventura Channel 4 broadcast this on Channel 4 their flagship - is that worse? Answers on a postcard...

---

The Simpsons
11/01
Channel 4

The Two Mrs Nahasapeemapetilons: In an effort to avoid an arranged marriage, Apu tells his mother that he is married to Marge.

Comment

Marge reads the wedding list requirements - "I have the wine glasses, but I am still short a Tandorri oven, an elephant and 4 castrati!
Bart - what's a castrati?
Marge - I don't know but I am sure it is spicy!

Bart only asks what a castrati is you notice not what a tandor is...

This is telling.

---

My Super Ex-Girlfriend
12/01
Channel 5

Screwball comedy about a man who must suffer the consequences when he breaks up with his girlfriend - consequences that are magnified by the fact that she has superpowers and is not afraid to use them to wreak revenge on him.

Comment

Another airing for Eddie Izzard as the baddie in this film. Channel 5 flagship channel with Eddie always a safe bet well done!

---

Sherlock
12/01
BBC ONE

"Back on the sauce?" [Meaning Drugs].
"The siren call of old habits!"
"How very like Uncle Rudy! Although in many ways cross-dressing would have been a wiser path for you." [Than Drugs? - yeah great].

Comment

Everybody's got a 'weird uncle' who is trans - even Sherlock, one they can smirk and raise their eyebrows to [GROAN].

In this episode Apple Co-founder was clearly the inspiration behind the Steve Jobs-a-like performance by the lead baddie with a touch of Rupert Murdoch.

Steven Moffat has all the subtlety of a sledge hammer with stereotypical trans-like things (compared to RussellTD) and as for his Co-Hort Mark Gatiss - I struggle to see him beyond 'League of Gentleman's' cross-dressing hags and harridans and 'Mickey'. "FIREMAN!" (You had to be there!). He always looks like he is acting (very wooden) - where as Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock Holmes) and Martin Freeman (Doctor Watson) do not, and are enchanting. Even 'Give us a Clue' and Aunt Sally (Worzel Gummidge) Una Stubbs is more believable. I get the feeling Mark made sure he got a part. Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah Brendan O' Carroll - he does the same - write yourself in ;).

As an aside and as these two guys are lead writers on the BBC'S flagship Sci-fi show 'Doctor Who'. Its about time transpeople were more prevalent in 'Doctor Who' - after all were are still basic binary apes on earth. The majesty of the Universe must contain advanced civilizations and I suspect they are more likely to be trans and cool about it than we are on this 3rd rock from the sun!

Where are they? The Aliens wear bikinis and have eyeliner LOL. Surely some must lay eggs?

Writers rant over - moving on.
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Jan 2014

Postby Ice Maiden » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:01 pm

---

This Morning
13/01
ITV1

Presented by Guest presenter Dermot O'Leary and Holly Willoughby. All the day's big news stories, and viewers' comments from The Hub.

Comment

Interview with masker and 'living Doll' who appeared in the Channel 4 documentary above.

The guest made it clear that he tried a dress on at 16 and then became a cross-dresser (but does not identify as trans or female?), and it is a sexual fetish. Latex, bondage (these are very tight and constricting body suits) coupled with facial masking (gimp masks etc) are common place. This seems to be a combination of many fetishes personified.

I found it interesting that his (he identifies as straight male and not trans although other may identify as trans of course) view of the ideal woman was almost a mirror of Holly, I have no idea if the wardrobe saw what she was wearing and did it on purpose but it showed how conservative Holly's cleavage was compared to the Doll. Of course she is a professional presenter and would not last long if she dressed like the Doll, but apart from the obvious issue the rest was very similar. The masker may well have researched her in advance - if he didn't know who Holly was or what she looked like he may well blow a gasket when he finds out LOL. HIS IDEAL WOMAN MAYBE?

Image itv

Image itv

Image itv

It is interesting from the image above the cliche of what women should be to many men.

Nevertheless, to me this is cross-dressing, but perhaps like those who do not pass as women, the mask allows that escape and joy otherwise denied. The denial of trans identity is something that even he said was open to debate. It is something he likes and is turned on by alone, although he said he does now go to events with other maskers to show off. That's fun and he said that his family rather not see this and prefer it be done at a specialist event.

I say live and let live, he enjoys it has fun and harms noone. It gives him pleasure and joy. It is a hobby that some may find odd but transgender people were equally just such an oddity only a few decades back.

Maybe we will see many more 'maskers' come out of the closet now - now wouldn't that be interesting in Tescos ;) (other supermarkets are available LOL).

See what we thought by watching this episode of our TV Show - no pun intended.
http://youtu.be/lW80sh-A_Jk

---

The Wright Stuff
14/01
Channel 5

Mathew Wright makes his on Air acceptance speech for his award FROM US as Best TV Presenter of 2013

ImageFive

Matthew Wright Photos and Speech
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4132#p37787

Whats not to like ;)

Shame they are not all like this.

---

The Simpsons
14/01
Channel 4

Margical History Tour: Marge gives the kids an unforgettable history lesson with tales about Henry VIII, American explorers Lewis and Clark, and the bitter rivalry between Mozart and Salieri.

Comment

This was a rare win for this cartoon as it by accident expressed a transgender need, its like finding love, when you are not looking for it you can happen upon it.

In this scene we have Lisa being told by her father Homer as Henry VIII and her mother that:

Marge - It is not your fault you came out the wrong sex and ruined everything!
Homer - so grow a penis or get lost!

Lisa then attempts to force one out :)

I wonder how many trans men have tried. And girls for that matter who wanted to climb trees and play rough and tumble. Shows the sexism of the time and brutal regime of Henry in a softer cartoon format! So educational too. ;)

I wonder what the expression is for sucking it back into the body?

ImageChannel 4

Cute!

---

Ladyboys
15/01
Pick

Living the Dream: Series following British men who have moved to Thailand to join their ladyboy lovers. Cameras follow a couple who have got engaged and run a bar in Pattaya beach.

Comment

Good programme but it does unrealistically benchmark what a transwoman should be like in the UK! If you do not look like those trans women then families have often used the argument, "you are not meant to be a girl."

Be nice to see some transgender women in their 50s doing non-sex work in the UK for a change.

The build of Thai trans women is very difficult to replicate, height, bone structure foot-size ribs, shoulders and so on. Even the wealthiest transwomen with the best surgeons will not come close. So maybe a bit triggering to watch for many westerners.

---

Daybreak
15/01
ITV1

Comment

Julie Hesmondhalgh speaks about her role as Hayley and her death in the show (Coronation Street, itv1). She also speaks about her new role in Manchester on stage at the Royal Exchange Theatre in 'Blindsided'. See: http://www.royalexchange.co.uk/event.aspx?id=721#

Directly afterwards whilst they still have the cameras up in Manchester she appears on Lorraine by the live link.

Lorraine
15/01
ITV1

Julie Hesmondhalgh speaks to Lorraine on her itv1 show.

---

Celeb Big Brother - Bit on the Side
15/01
Channel 5

First acceptance speech live on air for OUR Transgender Television Awards!

ImageFive

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4134

---

Secret Diary Of a She-Male 3
16/01
Television X

Transsexual: Gorgeous TS Melanie trains her new male sex slave with verbal domination and more. He loves it, too!

Comment

Shemale - in general listings. No problem with girls making a living but have to be careful when its in Freeview listings. They would not be able to have the word F*ck in those listings...

---

Benidorm
16/01
itv1

It is the day of the grand re-opening of Blow 'n' Go, Liam decides that he has fallen in love, Donald and Jacqueline receive some sad news, and a stag party arrives at the Solana.

Comment

It is the second week running for Lesley to be called a tranny under the proxy of gay licence.

More
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4127&p=37877#p37877

---

Coronation Street Omnibus
18/01
itv2

Hayley says goodbye.

---

This Morning
16/01
ITV1

Presented by Dermot O'Leary and Holly Willoughby. All the day's big news stories, and viewers' comments from The Hub.

Comment

One could be a little po-faced (get it? You will GROAN!) about this type of thing but with great power comes great responsibility as a trans celeb :)

Lauren makes up one of three butts to be examined by a rumpologist(?) to see if she can identify them. Lauren was last and actually was pretty accurate - or is it just 'cold reading'? Pun intended.

In anycase just a bit of fun keeps Lauren's profile going for a while - she has seriously grown and matured and understands 'the business' far better these days.
She even was kind enough to say that she was accurate on some things ;) I think they call that 'grease'... that's like they may meet again she didn't want to disappoint her - the reader will probably turn up on Big Brother this summer thats a long run of Sundays with Rylan to fill, so Lauren has stopped burning her bridges these days.

That said she did nothing that the other non-trans two celeb bums didn't do, and it was more dignified than Paul Ross' prostate examination ;)

So all in all perfectly fine - good! - no special treatment - just treated her like any other personality bussed in for this section.

Imageitv

Imageitv

Thank goodness as they won one of our awards this week :)

see http://www.TransgenderTelevisionAwards.com/

---

Ace Ventura Pet Detective
18/01
5*

Comedy starring Jim Carrey and Courteney Cox. An unconventional sleuth attempts to find a football team's stolen mascot dolphin. (1994) [S]

Comment

This is one of those films from the last century that really now needs to fade away! It does the rounds on most channels annually, along with Silence of the Lambs, Crocodile Dundee, and other cross-dressing and trans related story-lines.

I would have a stroke if I really let all this get on top of me as it is everywhere even on channels I like, of course with online on demand companies like NetFlix, come the time when this will not even be broadcast generally unless requested personally but still be consumed.

It features a cisgender woman being sexually assaulted at the end - she plays a supposedly transgender woman who transitioned to 'get even'.

It is a convoluted and absurd plot anyway.

It is misogynistic more than anything as the woman is not a trans actress she is a cisgender actress having her clothes ripped from her body after a fight. This clearly influenced trans character 'April' in the 'IT Crowd' and her assault (Channel 4) as it kinda ended in a similar 'comedy' fight.

As she is exposed as a 'man dressed as a woman' the 'Crying Game' music starts coupled with projectile vomiting - this influenced the projectile vomiting of 'Family Guy' and 'The Cleveland Show upon their discovery of transgender women, so these things to change people's perceptions and this is what makes such films dangerous! Plus it is in disguise as a family fun film for kids to watch!

We can only apply pressure on schedulers to try and avoid certain titles and I will try this year to see if I can do so.

I think if this were made in the last few years all hell would have broke loose(!), but these films are established popular films that make a lot of money still. So it is a very difficult thing to stop. Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted for example.

That said, it was tucked away on a less popular digital channel on this occasion so perhaps it has just become 'padding' that can be dropped from the schedules one day?

Lets hope new film releases will no longer walk the paths of those 25 years ago?

Disappointing.

---

Uncle
18/01
BBC THREE
Episode 1

Review

More - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4135&p=37856#p37856

---

Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents - Thailand. 1/6.
18/01
BBC THREE

Parents secretly keep tabs on their offspring's Thai holidays. Two groups of mates are on Koh Samui, Thailand's party island. Contains strong language. Also in HD.

Comment

What a seriously misogynistic and transphobic car-crash this channel is.

Relentless!

See- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4135&p=37856#p37856

---

The Jonathan Ross Show
18/01
ITV1

Jonathan Ross welcomes more big names to his star-studded chat show. Guests tonight include film star and comedian Russell Brand, Birds of a Feather actress Linda Robson, X Factor and National Television Awards host Dermot O'Leary and popular musician James Blunt, who also performs live.

Comment

Dermot brings up the issues of 'This Morning' and his Tenure this week and speaks about the 'Masker' the one we have already mentioned that looked similar to Holly Willoughby.

They laughed. However what I thought was interesting and rather smart of Dermot was to state from the outset... "this is not transgender... its a man in the US..."

I guess the jury is still out on that one as we discussed this week on our video vlog watch now!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW80sh-A ... gARKZEQFOA

Nevertheless it shows that Dermot is the new generation of presenters like Emma Willis who are already thinking ahead of trans issues...and our reaction here maybe to what they say?

That's a huge thing and very important. Great stuff. This is the same as the 1980s when restrictions were placed on racial reporting, people just would no longer tolerate this nonsense.

Well done Dermot! One presenter to watch! Maybe when Phillip Schofield retires the job is his?

He presents the X-Factor every year too! This is important as transpeople do apply, and the damage Peter Kay did with his transsexual comedy character 'Geraldine' is heavy, so needs a massive effort to avoid comparisons with actual trans singers, and Dermot I hope is the man to do that!

---

Family Guy
The Courtship of Stewies Father
19/01
BBC Three

Nothing I have not reported before - just search Family Guy on this site.

However, in this particular instance we have Herbert the street pedophile dressed as a woman in a dream sequence singing to Chris.

Hmmm...

---

Coronation Street
20/01
itv1

Hayley Dies in Coronation Street!

more...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1441&p=37897#p37897

Imageitv

---

The National Television Awards 2014
22/01
ITV1

Coverage of British television's biggest night of the year as Dermot O'Leary hosts the awards ceremony live from The O2 in London. The viewing public have cast their votes in a huge nationwide poll to choose the winners. Who will be the nation's number one TV detective, and can Ant and Dec make it thirteen in a row as top entertainment presenters? The ceremony also includes a spectacular opening number paying tribute to one of the year's most-talked about shows.

Comment

Well we were pretty accurate with our choices on Transgender Zone see here
http://www.TransgenderTelevisionAwards.com

We predicted - 'This Morning' however for us it was trans issues of course.
and We predicted Best Soap Dramatic - 'Julie Helsmondhalgh' too Coronation Street - although for her a Lifetime Achievement Award as well for the role of Hayley and our awards were made weeks before the NTAs ;)

Shame Mr's Brown's Boys won an NTA - it just demonstrates that a man in a dress is hilarious! Good luck to all those trans that do not pass as women then :(

---

Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents-Thailand.
22/01
BBC THREE

2/6: Two groups of mates fly to Koh Phangan, famous for its wild full-moon parties. Contains strong language. Also in HD. [S]

TRANSCRIPTS

Voice-Over - "And Girls maybe boys too."
Brit Girl in street - "if I see one of their willies..."
Three lads comment on Thai trans girl - "That girl was a boy!" Mother's reaction edited in directly after to be in shock. This is cynical as they actually were not reacting like that to that particular issue. As we find out later.

Imagebbc

Boys in car - "Can't wait to meet a Ladyboy (ALL LAUGH) They have bigger Adam's Apples than us!

Man in bar (othering transwomen see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Other - with a 'normal girl')

Imagebbc

"Does she have a penis? - They do?! How they are not very big?! How does it work?! Do they have b@lls?!!!"

Imagebbc

Voice-Over - "Not quite what mum had in mind when she said cultural exploration!" (MEAN SEX with a Katoi)

About having sex with the transgirl - I have a Thai 'ticked off!'..

Voice-Over - "But has pat ticked off more than he realised?!"

Imagebbc

"That girl was a boy!"
"..a boy, that's why noone f*cked her!"
"That's bullshit! (DRUNK) I f*cked her in a vagina mate?" Collapses on bed."

Next morning...

Voice-Over - "One thing he can't deny is last night international, intergender relations!"
Lad 1 - One thing we said when we came out here was no prostitutes!
Lad 1 - I cannot believe you paid for a Ladyboy as well!!!
Lad 2 - hides face in shame - Lad 3 laughs.

Imagebbc

"It's not like you pulled one you paid for one! Desgusting man!"
Lad 2 - "How's it a Ladyboy? She had a vagina?!
Lad 1 - "You know - Post-op!"
Lad 2 - "But it was wet?!"
Lad 1 - "Post-op! A little bit gay when you think about it!!!"
Lad 3 - Agrees.

Imagebbc

Lad 2 - agrees that he is disgusting. "Yeah it is disgusting...It's the first time I paid, I dunno why I started in Thailand with what was a fella! So um... it's not cool!"

Later

Mother on the subject - "he could get a disease..."

Comment

As I predicted this would happen (above) - it is transphobia by proxy being returned to our shores via Thailand (that being the proxy to justify this and objectifies transwomen.

Close your eyes and imagine for a moment this same programme being made in Manchester and the trans girl was English and they said she was disgusting and it was gay. There would be a desire to challenge this with OFCOM! It is no different!

If the trans community feel because this is not happening in the UK that the transcommunity are some how saved here, they want to wake up! Because all these people are UK citizens, inc the filmmakers I suspect and broadcast by the BBC! For younger people on BBC Three!

So the cosy chats with the BBC executive have delivered this. Something is broken somewhere!

Salacious transphobia. The Daily Mail have better ethics than this! What they forget is it is often poverty that forces people into sex work, so they are also not only being transphobic they are mocking those living in poverty or under threat who based on what I have seen and heard transwomen who would rather not have to do this!

The issue is here that 'Ladyboys' only exist when the lads land in Thailand... What they forget are they are transgender women who equally exist in the UK! And I suspect in the same numbers. It is fear due to programmes such as this, that many transwomen lie low in their communities.

Another obvious fail for the BBC.

Thier tokenistic gestures like trans comedy scripts and a couple of documentaries are just washed away when something like this is aired.

They could have presented the trans women in a far better light, but then its the ratings - transgender people have currency and there is no way they would be edited out or shown in a good light!

We have 4 more of these to go (lets hope they have 'used' the transwomen card early to get the viewers in and that now is the end of it!) But it will be repeated for months to come of course!

Depressing! In 2014.

MORE - it doesn't end there... there are 6 episodes of this sh*t!
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4135

---

Ladyboys
22/01
Pick

The eye-opening documentary series returns to Thailand to take front row seats at the Miss International Queen pageant, the famous ladyboy beauty contest.

Comment

By total and utter contrast Pick serves up a repat of the popular series that has trans voices central to the issue, rather than being objectified we hear their stories.

So it can be done - just switch the channel! Preferably away from BBC!

---

The Simpsons
22/01
Channel 4

My Big Fat Geek Wedding: Cartoon comedy. When Mrs Krabappel calls off her wedding to Principal Skinner, Marge and Homer step in with some relationship advice.

Comment

Homer user Castrati for laughs - again...

And Skinner's mother said that his Comicon outfit looked like a 'Maylasian Transsexual!'

---

Lee Mack Going Out Live
23/01
Dave ja vu

Sensational stand-up comedy from Not Going Out star Lee Mack. Recorded at the Hammersmith Apollo on Lee's national tour, the show combines anecdotes and pin-sharp one-liners.

Comment

Search our site for the various transphobic comments made by him mainly in his series 'Not Going Out' on the BBC.

In this he makes a cross-dressing gag.

---

Secret Diary Of a She-Male 4
23/01
Television X

Alekssandra goes out on the streets of Whitechapel and meets the ghosts of two Victorian street girls, Pamela and Starr. The former's a lovely ladyboy, making for some interesting three-way fun.

Comment

A girl has gotta make a living but this is in the general freeview listings!

"Mummy whats a shemale?!"

That said even Channel 4 ' The Simpsons' use the term for laughs - you think I am kidding? Search our forums!

Again as I always say a weblink in the listings would be better so subscribers can go to their site to see what is 'on'.

Maybe we need to contact freeview and ask them about this?

---

Benidorm
23/01
itv1

Martin wakes up in bed with Bianca. Kenneth and Liam have to move a customer out of the salon. Joyce installs a volleyball court by the pool, and Tiger teams up with Michael.

Comment

Transscript

About make-up

Lesley - "I tend to think less is more when it comes to foundation!"
(CLOSE-UP OF TIM HEALY)
Joyce - "Thank you Lesley but do I look as if I need make-up tips from an aging drag queen?!"

Imageitv

MORE
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4144

---

The Change
24/01
BC Radio 4 Ex

4 Extra Debut. Kicking out transvestite husband George, Carol wants a new life. Stars Lynda Bellingham and Chris Ellison. From February 2003. Episode 1 of 6.

Comment

This was a great radio play series and worth listening to - and stars a member of WOBS Diane_A (Women of the Beaumont Society). However! This was made in 2001! I know I was running the Beaumont website at the time and had all the behind the scene photos etc. Nevertheless it is showing it's age. This is not 'new content' investment by the BBC. Its almost as if they stumbled upon it emptying a box as it only turned up again last year!

Now it is being aired again.

One must ask - why? Past glories are all very well - and yes they did a better job then than they do now - this kinda proves it!

Not something to be proud of really.

Put the recordings away for a while and spend some money on something new - that may have a mobile phone or that new fangled broadband internet in it :)

It is I guess 'a classic' but how sad is that!

---

John Tucker Must Die
25/01
Film4

(2006) Teen romcom. Brittany Snow stars as a waitress recruited by three high school girls to date, and then dump, love rat John Tucker (Jesse Metcalfe), who did the same to them. [AD,S]

Comment

John is manipulated into wearing a girl's pink thong then ridiculed. However he puts a spin on it that it gives him a silky hammock for his genitals and thus can play basketball better.

Nevertheless, this running gag is nothing more than laughing at men in ladies underwear.

And that easily translates to transpeople. It did in Channel 4's 'Man Down' and the term Tranny was used in that!

---

The Change_BBC
25/01
Radio 4 Ex

4 Extra Debut. Kicking out transvestite husband George, Carol wants a new life. Stars Lynda Bellingham and Chris Ellison. From February 2003. Episode 1 of 6.

Comment

Repeat (see above)

---

Mrs Brown's Boys
25/01
BBC ONE

1/6. The Mammy: Comedy about a loud-mouthed Irish matriarch. Agnes's son has fallen out with his girlfriend. Will her meddling make things worse? Contains strong language. Also in HD. [S]

Comment

I have spoken to a number of transgender people at length over this show, some see past the frock and others are annoyed that this still has to be used as a proxy for laughs. It is actually a very damaging show to the transgender community. I have been archiving data for 25 years and remember it Ain't Half Hot Mum, Dick Emery, Stanley Baxter, of course more recently Little Britain. But they were then - this is now! And it demonstrates that as long as the majority laugh the minority are screwed! They treat no other minority in this way, even Gypsies and Travelers have some dignity now with programming but Transpeople remain mocked and to their face!

FULL Review
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4155

---

Celebrity Big Brother
28/01
Channel 5

Jim Davidson was asked - if you you were to live as a woman what would you be called and what job would you do?

This question was asked by Luisa (the one that has sex parties etc).

Jim - "I'd be called Madam Foo Foo and I'd be a hooker. Because I'd be sitting on a fortune! No I think i'd like to be a woman of horizontal refreshment, and call my self Polo because I'd make a mint with a hole!"

It got a laugh from the girls - Always interesting with men that they tend to go for that lifestyle. And plays in well to the Blanchard's 'Autogynephilia' Model - however, like Blanchard Jim is not actually a woman. white middle-class men living as females in actuality is very different. Especially at his age - I suspect Jim would be practically invisible.

He assumes he would be a beautiful woman in demand of course ;)

Don't we all!

---

New - Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents - Thailand.
29/01
BBC THREE

...Thailand. 3/6. Two groups of friends fly to Koh Phangan to attend a legendary Full Moon Party. Contains strong language. Also in HD. [S]

Comment

Well part 3 like parts 1 and 2 served up the same old sexist transphobia!

"We are going to tag team (gang bang) a ladyboy!"

Image bbc

More
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4135&p=38093#p38093

---

The Wright Stuff
29/01
Five

The Team and Mathew all wear red Lipstick when they discuss the issues around the sexualising of children by Children's BBC TV Presenters wearing red Lipstick.

It is interesting as unlike drag or laughing at a 'silly man in a dress' they were dressed in their usual garb but with red lipstick.

This is quite groundbreaking actually and again from Matthew.

He said he quite liked it and blew the camera a kiss LOL

ImageFive

His fellow Panelists, 2 men and 1 woman, also wearing the red lipstick. smiled and said to Matthew, "you are loving this!"

ImageFive

Matthew replies - coy looking down - "I do love it!"

ImageFive

Cute!

And I Love it too! Don't ever change! We need presenters like Matthew who take risks and simply do not care about gender stereotypes.

Drag reinforces them for the most part (now there is irony) this is 'Naked Civil Servant' territory and shows progress actually and it is quite a serious subject.

He doesn't really realise the importance of his role on television - he is truly an ally!

Eddie Izzard wears a suit similarly these days like Matt and in eddie's case nail varnish and high heels. I see no difference. It certainly has not held him back!

A bit of advice for young trans women with media aspirations!

The BBC are so strict now with their presenters - especially with vulnerable people like children and their 'compliance' - or what they can and cannot do or can and cannot say - it is ruthless! This is what worries me about sexually explicit transgender people who are young that may want to work in the media spreading themselves all over facebook and other sites - they have often 'marked their cards' before they get to the interview as their 'dirty online laundry' will ruin their potential!

Role Models who maybe in Big Brother with their kit off or boasting about how many times they have had oral sex will NEVER be 'Blue Peter' presenters - for example! - unless that's a porn remake LOL ;)

If you are trans and a teenager and want a career on the BBC my advice would be behave like a nun! And post only gentle family snaps with your cat (no pun intended) and your mum and family on Facebook! Not photos of you 'bits' or in sexually or provocative poses and positions. Miley Cyrus couldn't do it when she started out - she might now but she is already 'famous' from being 'good' that's probably why she is so challenging for being 'bad'.

So although Matthew and the gang had fun here, the issue of sexualising young people is and remains something the BBC are quite tough about.

---

Celebrity Big Brother's Bit...
29/01
Channel 5

...The Side. Rylan presents a round-up of the final day in the Celebrity Big Brother house. Plus behind-the-scenes treats and an interview with the winner.

Comment

Jim Won it - and what a great after-show celebration.

Lauren Harries made the cut in the montage of highlights - the same day she presented Emma with the http://www.TransgenderTelevisionAward.com award from us

And now we wait for the summer - one of the best CBB series ever! And we still got some transpeople in the after-show - so appealed to all.

This Summer and then this summer's CBB have a tough act to follow that's for sure! Bet Channel 4 are kicking themselves now as they out-rate them. Plus Channel 5 are better with trans issues than Channel 4 when they ran BB.

My only issue is if they bring in transpeople I have to blog and that's endless LOL Bitter sweet! :)P

However, it won our BEST PROGRAMME for last year - and well deserved. It is for the other programme -makers to see what they do and copy! Or listen to me ;) That would save them an awful lot of time...

That said the production team of Big Brother were thrilled with their award, and even took on board some ideas and information links we sent to assist them in their use of labels and avoiding transphobic mistakes. Not that they need them but they are keen to improve - even now - cannot fault that! If only they were all so receptive.

---

Ladyboys
30/01
Pick

Best of Series 1: Second series of the intriguing and, at times, emotional documentary that travels to Thailand to explore the world of male-to-female transgender persons. Revisit the highlights of the first series, as the eye-opening documentary joins Thailand's most successful transgender entrepreneur on the campaign trail for equal rights.

Comment

Good. Worth Watching they now repeat this every month on Pick because they know they are on to a winner! :) ;) :P So set a 'series link' or record series on your Media Centers. One of the very few times it is OK to use 'Ladyboy'! As the context is correct!

---

Secret Diary Of A She-Male 5
30/01
Television X

Ladyboys Night Out: Sexy Trannie Annie takes us to a T-Girl club where exotic beauties like the lovely Alison Dale get frisky on the dance floor. Can we have the address please?

Comment

This is a publicly available television listing published for all the family to see all the time is beyond acceptable. I mean just read that above.

It is a disgrace! And a UK listing. All trans women are sex workers is the message. They are She-males, Ladyboys and Trannies! All is in that single listing! Fine if it is on paywall or warning agreement adult website - I am not a prude.

But all men are not gay, all men are not sex workers, all men are not pedos. But all trans are seen she-males, ladyboys and trannies! on Freeview.

And we wonder why transpeople have to skulk about in the shadows in stealth as this link is made the moment they come out!

The most well known transpeople tend to be beauty pageant entrants or sex workers. Why not a scientist or a Oscar winning actress? We do not have a glass ceiling we have a reinforced concrete one!

Annoying scheduling that should just contain a weblink to their site and not have this scrawled on freesview!

---

The Wright Stuff
30/01
Channel 5

Lively magazine show in which Matthew Wright and guests discuss the topical issues of the day.

Special guest today was the documentary film maker Conor Woodman of a new National Geographic series entitled 'Scam City' where he travels the world finding out all the scams, from African taxi drivers wanting money for insurance, to transgender pickpockets - so try to see the trans episode if you can.

CW - "Our researchers revealed that one of the big gangs working on the Ramblas in Barcelona are a bunch of transsexual Central American prostitutes [I believe 'a bunch' is the collective term for transpeople LOL. IM], they pose as prostitutes but what they are really interested in is pickpocketing. So to get into that I had to become part of the gang...which involved wearing a very fitting...

ImageFive

Matthew - "Oh you look good..."
CW - "...A nice Fur coat and a wig and went out with the ladies of the night and relived a few men of their wallets..."

Female Panelist - "You know you are giving Matthew ideas don't you!"

They chuckle.

Comment

You know that it probably 'has' given Matthew ideas hehehe, as such I have no issues with this other than it is a shame that transsexual women are not only posing as prostitutes but robbing people as well, in Barcelona thats not the dpeths of Central America thats almost local EU so beware on your hols!!! It is that sex and crime association that follows the trans community around when it is a very small percentage that do this. They do it to survive as no one else will feed them or employ them eh?

But that's a fact of life, it is happening and makes great television, the transwomen agreed to it - no problems with it in that sense and they are transpeople by all accounts. The film-maker's style (like Louis Theroux) throws himself into it and takes it seriously.

The dig at Matthew by a panelist is actually banter as we know him very well now and a 3 times winner of a transtvaward from us. He would(!) put that garb on in a flash given the opportunity hehehe! So a justified comment! Rather than mocking transgender people ;)

---

Benidorm
30/01
itv1

When Joyce heads off on a mini-break leaving Les in charge, it is not long before he starts throwing his weight around. Barking orders, he sacks Mateo and the staff revolt.

TRANSCRIPT

"Fine I Go, I do not want to work for some crazy drag queen!"

Imageitv

Comment

Again with the 'Drag Queen!'

Listen there is a series on BBC Three called "Snog Marry Avoid..." in that they used to say, "I look as bad as a tranny!" That was outrageous and after some pressure they switched to drag queen. Well thats not my department. But still othering.

However, whilst this term maybe used in this instance, the individuals are usually cisgender (straight non-trans girls). Nevertheless in this series of 'Benidorm' on itv1the the character here IS transgender, they are Lesley the TV. That's the part.

So when you then describe someone who identifies as trans as a drag queen that IS offensive and transphobic - get it? Understand that do you ITV?

jEEZ!

Plus it is EVERY WEEK!

see above for last week and then see here for 'Tranny'.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4127

Just scrap the character and get a transgender actor in! Tim Healy hobbling about and making gormless faces to every insult is just boring now! Its like watching a character from the 1960s - I am waiting for a 'Carry On!' film leading male to pop into shot at any moment and touch up a girl in a Bikini and laugh smoking a rolly - oh yeah thats not allowed anymore but tranny is!

Tired!

---

By Contrast

The Wright Stuff
31/01
Channel 5

Now you may not of spotted this - I did.

One of the callers about HS2 was Nikki Sinclaire MEP - and no mention of her being trans (I was waiting as its usually the 'way' of trans-currency n all that... But NO!

Matthew dealt with the issue and got on with the job - excellent. Maybe a potential future guest for his show. She is a politician of note, she has her own trans story to tell (a book about her life to flog ;)) and maybe she even saw him with his award on the show and thinks, "oh safe pair of hands here for me?" Talking about trans issues? Well that's on her terms as a guest of course. But what I liked was unless you 'knew' about Nikki's recent press - you wouldn't even think about it as a caller.

I raise it simply because I am criticising programming and how they deal with trans issues. That can also mean how they make no fuss about them too :)

ImageFive
Serious Face - Matthew - Blink and you'd of missed it - See caller name.

The Dulcet tones of Nikki Sinclaire are unmistakable now. And she also was applauded for knowing her stuff too - and not in a patronising way - she really does care about her constituency! Rare for politicians who just stand on their backs to get a better view of the feast and directorships at Westminster. I hope she has done enough now to offset the worry regarding her trans issues. If she loses her seat it maybe a kick in the face for all of us as she was good enough before they knew!

---

The Change
31/01
BBC Radio 4 Ex

Away from transvestite George, Carol is spending time on her own and enjoying it. With Lynda Bellingham, Christopher Ellison. From February 2003. Episode 2 of 6.

Comment

Good but made 13 years ago - I know I was there! C'mon BBC Past glories n all that - time to move on!

The irony is that this was when the BBC was relevant to our community and a stark reminder of just how dire they are today by contrast! Seriously our community must now enjoy trans programming older than the age of many of its listeners.

We all know how cutting edge this sort of thing was back then and of a similar time to Hayley in Coronation St - but even she has moved on now!

Get the message - and hire transpeople next time - it is seriously time to move on and grow. You don't do that by mocking, and abusing a community your are obliged (under the terms of the licence) to serve.

How can this tucked away on Radio 4 Ex be of any value when on BBC Three you are broadcasting jokes about Ladyboys and them being men?
See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4135&p=37856#p37856

Not knowing your Ar*e from your elbow springs to mind.

I think the BBC need to just wipe it all away clear the decks and start from the very basics over again - contact Transgenderzone!

They won't and it is in part why they are failing. Stubborn and ignorant, set in their ways, inflexible, out of touch and lazy.

That said well done to those that are probably now retired who made 'The Change' happen ;) Meow!

---

This Morning
31/01
itv1

This was about knowing your partner's sizes... on a call in then they interviewd Jim Davidson.

Ruth Langsford - Jim do you know your wife's underwear size?
Jim Davidson - yes I am wearing some of it now (and laughs).
Ruth - I thought your voice was a bit high.
Jim (Squeaky) Carry on!

Harmless, my only gripe is that the, "I am wearing the wife's pants" is always followed by a laugh. Or the other is 'I do it on the weekends' when they don't, it's an understanding that it is a 'joke'.

I prefer people to say, "I am wearing them now - no I really am they are great so lets move on!"

Imagine that by contrast? And that is kinda moving towards the Matthew Wright field of presenting and why he gets best presenter every year. As it wouldn't bother him.

We really must try to see this as just clothes and clothes to be enjoyed no matter where you fall on the gender spectrum. This silly clothing aparthied (thats what it is) that women so jealously guard by mocking men who dare deviate (yes it is women who tend to control all this as thats all they have left) must go for there to be any progress in this century.

That said Jim may well be wearing them - it could be true. :shrugs: [yesss]

---

Coronation Street
31/01
itv1

Bye bye Hayley! Bon vent! Fair Winds n' all that...

Imageitv

Imageitv

Imageitv

A fond farewell to the character who set the benchmark in the UK Soap for transgender people. Now it is time to beat it! And that will take some doing!

It can only be challenged with a transgender actor and a transwoman would be a safe bet.

Julie won our Lifetime Achievement Award this year see
http://www.TransgenderTelevisionAwards.com for more

---

Catfish - The TV Show
31/01
Viva

Reality documentary series following Nev Schulman as he travels America investigating the online profiles of couples who have never met in real life, to establish whether the people are really who they say they are, or whether they are so-called 'catfish'. After a year of chatting with Amanda online, Tyler thinks he has a future with her - but his friends think something is not right.

Comment

Another male poses as female. However, when asked if he had of preferred to be a straight woman than a gay male he said yes... there is a lot more to all this than meets the eye. And this series is my current guilty pleasure - worth watching!

set you series link! The guys are sensitive with all this and there is a transgender storyline coming up.

We also spoke about it in last weeks Vlog click here to find out more.
viewtopic.php?f=135&t=3740&start=40#p38056

---

See you in a month! :)

Check out the Transgender Television Awards 2013 they are published here!

http://www.TransgenderTelevisionAwards.com

Check me out!
Ice
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Jan 2014

Postby Ice Maiden » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Feel Free to Share!

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30