UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Oct 2013

Every month we list UK programmes the feature transgender issues good and bad. If you work in the media this is a must see monthly list.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Oct 2013

Postby Ice Maiden » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:19 pm

So here we go again, what is broadcast in the UK reflects on you as a transperson. Every month I review the month's media but also log everything else - can't review everything - not enough hours in a day! So I put little comments there instead.

High Points

Reith Lectures with Grayson Perry
Pick TV's 'Ladyboys'.
Question Time

Low points
Everything else LOL

Archives of note

Big Brother Lauren Harries Thread here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3899
Soap storyline Archives
viewforum.php?f=16
And what has been happening to Hayley in Coronation St .
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1441&start=10#p16796

All the following clips have been archived for evidential purposes should they be needed.

Coronation Street

Hayley has been active this month so rather than list every epissode go straight to the Coronation Street Thread here.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1441&start=10#p16796

So let's begin...

---

Ladyboys
'Ladyboy Surgery'
01/10
Pick TV

Following on from the acclaimed documentary exploring the world of Thailand's ladyboys, this thought-provoking series offers further insight into a sector of Thai society that makes up one per cent of the country's population. Find out exactly what it takes to make a man into a woman. Cameras follow two patients as they embark on sex change procedures.

Comment

Good Programme and label context specific as it is about Thailand! For once! (See last Month's log link for more on this)

Ongoing repeat.

---

Secret Diary Of a She-Male 5
02/10
Television X

Ladyboys Night Out: Sexy Trannie Annie takes us to a T-Girl club where exotic beauties like the lovely Alison Dale get frisky on the dance floor. Can we have the address please?

Comment

As mentioned in previous logs the only issue here is this is 'Generally listed' and viewable by everyone even if the programme is scrambled.

So using the term 'Trannie Annie' and objectifying transwoman (never transmen) in this way in magazine and digital listings that all the family can read doesn't help our community. It stereotypes the trans community as sex workers. Especially when so few other listings have anything other than medical curiosities, or documentaries about their transition.

I have said it time and time again, we need dramatic roles and comedians. This format will not go away and there is demand.
But maybe they need to rethink their general listings.

---

American Dad!
03/10
BBC THREE

8/10. Helping Hands: Stan wants Steve to be popular and goes to desperate measures to make him better and part of the in-crowd at school. Contains adult humour. [S]

Comment

Steve and his dad (Stan) grow breasts with a CIA steroid by accident, and then use them to get popular with the boys.

This is very mixed up, as the cool boys all lust after Steve's breasts? Very odd...

Nevertheless, the biggest issue with this (no pun intended) is the way it is acceptable to touch and fondle a 'man with breasts' compared to a female with breasts.

This plays into the way many transwomen in transition can find they are touched inappropriately or even expected to show them. We have an episode of the US series 'Cops' where women are searched by female officers but a transwoman is fair game as you can see here. http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u67 ... 2b5227.jpg

It also has issues around transmen who may still have breast tissue at school, and of course those who are gynecomastic.

Verdict (appropriate legal term in this instance).

Worrying.

---

This Morning
03/10
ITV1

Phillip Schofield, Holly Willoughby, Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford present a special 25th anniversary edition of the programme returning to its original Liverpool location. Special guests include the original hosts Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan, as well as friend of the show Keith Lemon who presents the weather. Lee Ryan and Charlotte Church discuss how they were discovered on the show, and Coronation Street's Barbara Knox looks back over her 40-year career in Weatherfield.

Comment

25 Year anniversary special from Liverpool.

In their 'best of' montage we see a transgender woman for a moment. But only because she said, "I would like to look like you Holly."

All a bit narcissistic tbh.

In their Game show where they play clips and people have to guess what it was about, they played Lauren Harries doing the Little Britain impression she did about 5 years ago that got her banned, "EH EH EHHH!"

So not exactly bowled over - we have both clips archived btw.

Especially when you consider the sheer amount of transpeople that have been on that show in 25 years! Bus-loads! And this is what they select?

---

Celebrity Juice
03/10
ITV2

Keith Lemon continues the tenth series of the outrageous comedy panel show. Fearne Cotton is settled back in as team captain following her maternity break, with fellow presenter Holly Willoughby once again leading the opposing team. This week's guests include Strictly Come Dancing judge Craig Revel Horwood and Geordie funnyman Chris Ramsey.

Transcript

Keith Lemon - you are the full package Kym, you can sing, you can act, you can pull a pint (she is a barmaid in the Rovers Return in Coronation Street), you're beautiful! What's the catch?

Imageitv

Kym Lomas - "I've got a c*ck!"

Keith goes mad laughing and the panel all laugh, inc Holly, who to be fair does not translate this well with her job on 'This Morning', as no doubt she interviews transpeople on that show but here she is showing how funny she thinks that is.

Imageitv

Imageitv

Imageitv

Keith - Is your c*ck as big as Holly's cl*t? I am not being rude but you should go to the doctors because it is like a party sausage!

Comment

OK this is all a big laugh, it is something they are completely detached from (literally!), but transpeople who have this issue to face can feel like they are dying inside, and I mean that, many transwomen who have a penis can feel seriously ill over it, and from childhood suicidal.

And interesting that Krm Lomas (AKA Kym Marsh from Hear'Say) works with Julie Hesmondhalgh on Coronation St and has done so for years, yet is ready to mock this issue - that's really proof positive how much of an impact Hayley has had in reality! As would she say that to Hayley's face in reality? No and yet its fine to say it to millions!

This is best compared to this.

Would he joke about breast cancer with the same voracity?

Lets see how that would play out as the feeling to the individual is similar. To have something happen to your body that is beyond your control, that may well result in your death.

Hypothetical
Keith Lemon - you are the full package Kim, you can sing, you can act, you can pull a pint (she is a bar maid in the Rovers Return in Coronation Street), you're beautiful! What's the catch?
Kim Lomas - "I've got Breast Cancer and have had a mastectomy!"
Keith goes mad laughing and the panel all laugh, inc Holly.
Keith - Is your mastectomy scar as big as Holly's? I am not being rude but you should go to the doctors!

He would like face the sack! And that's a pun too... in his world.

Holly would be unable to ever work on 'This Morning' ever again as this would alienate her entire female audience. Yet she can do this and remember her husband produces this show, and she can happily interview transpeople the next day and that's fine - it is not fine Holly!

This is the problem, until they see being trans as more than a good laugh, this will continue.

Being trans is one of the hardest things to do in life, it is soul-destroying, challenging, life threatening, dangerous, depressing and many do not make it to transition because they kill themselves! This is NOT funny! However, There are positives and some do make it through, some marry and live and deal with their burden. But the abuse does not leave them, as they continue to face triggering statements and comments for the rest of their lives. This is abusing people who are suffering, most put on a brave face, as they have had to mask this pain all their lives for fear of discovery. And then look at this reaction.

Imageitv

Thats how funny this is!

It may well be funny when you are distanced from it, like most things can be. But it is not if you are the suffering party, it makes the experience of this nothing short of mocking the afflicted.

When in reality this is actually soul-destroying to the point of no longer wanting to exist!

And that is NOT funny!

Kim Lomas to my knowledge is a cisgender female who has given birth, and as a result cannot make these claims unless it is for humour. She has no ownership of this space to mock. It is therefore 'othering' as she knows this to be the case and is making 'transphobia by proxy', you can read that here.

SEE- TRANSPHOBIA BY PROXY
http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=3000

Sympathy is in short supply for transpeople, I found it interesting that last week when they had Lauren Harries appear Keith (Leigh) didn't mention this topic. And this is a serious issue. It shows that if television worked a little harder in creating transgender stars that there would be at least some balance in these shows.

But again in the transperson's absence it is open season once more!

This show is the one blight on ITV's recovery from transphobia to make their channel ethical and balanced!

Nasty, hateful and cruel to trans viewers.

---

Ladyboy Training 5
04/10
Television X

Stunning 18+ girlie boy Holly joins forces with the amazing Keisha Kane to take on lucky stud Damien in a session that has to be seen to be believed.

Comment

Hmmm... as always the content maybe scrambled but the general public listings are not.

---

The Wright Stuff
04/10
Channel 5

Lively magazine show in which Matthew Wright and guests discuss the topical issues of the day.

Comment

Interesting, news story from the Sum was discussed about, "WHAT IS YOU SEXUALITY?"

The panelist reads out the following from the newspaper...

"They say a 180,000 of us maybe transsexual or 'weirdos' which they shouldn't say."
Matthew - Angrily - Weirdos? Thats nice! (meaning thats nice in a sarcastic tone shaking his head).
Panelist - No I think they mean't like cars and hoovers etc...
Matthew - Ok...

Here again he jumps to the defence of the transgender community. He simply will not tolerate any nonsense in this area. And this is why he is so rated by Transgenderzone.com as a presenter every year in our transtvawards!
see http://www.transtvawards.com/ He reviews the papers and is the first to set people straight if it is about trans in the press, by doing so on national television. I cannot imagine how damaging trans press stories would be without filters like his.

Here at Trangender Zone we never take anything as read. Proof is everything and verifiable data is key that can be checked and double checked by everyone. People earn our awards!

---

Woman's Hour
04/10
BBC Radio 4

Transgender icon April Ashley's art exhibition; Wendy Holden talks about letting go of your children when they go to university; heart defects in babies. Sheila McClennon presents.

37mins in

Comment

Opens with the usual misinformation lazily sourced - "first to have GRS"[SIC] - Not by at least a decade in the UK, and even then she didn't have treatment in the UK.
She continues to trade on this, after all, who remembers the second or 20th? She got the idea of having surgery from friends she worked with in Paris who had already had it in Casablanca.

However before her it was being carried out in Sweden in the 50s and in the UK in the late 40s. Of course the 'firsts' modern day versions as we know ir were in the late 1920s and I had to personally rectify this data as it was incorrect online eveyone else cited Lillie Elbe before I intervened. 'Dora R' was the first to my knowledge (with more modern survivable techniques) and she was treated in Berlin in 1929. Of course this is all nonsense really, as there are examples of GRS as far back as Ancient Rome and before.

April - about her surgeon, "He said I was the most perfect specimen he had have ever seen!"
Interviewer - "You are so regal...Tirelessly campaigning..."
and the word "Icon" was bandied about. Seriously? Give me strength! "Infamous" maybe a better line?

She is good looking even now there is little doubting that, and her cut-glass accent (that would give the Queen a run for her money) belies her scouser roots :) but the way she is being spoken about and praised by journalists is creating an urban myth and rewriting history.

We are all in the same boat, she prayed to be a girl as a kid, so did many a transchild - they still do. What makes he special? Being pretty? Some things never change.

All a bit narcissistic and not my cup of tea. It just feels that she is seen as the 'first transsexual' who ever was 'created' in the UK. It is important we stop this misinformation - I mean she didn't even have her surgery in the UK anyway. And her exhibition is on in the Museum of Liverpool until next September! Why?! I think perhaps rather than an MBE it would have been more apt to have given her the 'LĂ©gion d'honneur' ;)

She takes the credit for many things and yet few can actually list them, apart from being born with a pretty face. Having a good time in Paris and setting the trans community in legal limbo for 40 years! And most of the top activists (I have asked beyond my social circle btw, some who may surprise you have had the same reaction - they asked me not to publicise their comments) struggle to define what her MBE was awarded for. I suggest its perhaps a state apology and that's about it. And 'who you know' helps.

It was a case of her leaving the country when the chips were down and coming back when the activism was done or when there was something in it for her, aging is a better bet in the UK with the NHS of course, or to collect her gong, be interviewed - whilst the true grafters go ignored. I have applied for an MBE for someone who truly has made a MASSIVE contribution, and proveable, the person I nominated has a list of activism that is so great it almost looked like it was impossible and you had to have a double take, and has been supported by our top activists, and a gong is very slow in coming if at all - that's a disgrace! And tarnishes the whole awards process. And angers many, including myself who cannot understand the logic of April getting one when this other person has truly grafted and changed our community for the better (not the worst), and yet is humble enough to even decline it.

This is quite a common issue with transpeople who get well known, they often speak about how they now 'dedicate their lives to our community' when interviewed, I hear it all the time... but when you actually follow them up they have better things to do, or are cashing in on their notoriety. And it is usually what is in it for them more than selfless sacrifice. Selfies, and social networking doesn't help. Best way to test this theory is to simply google the name of someone on Google images and see how many photos there are.

All I would say is if she had a face like a bag of spanners would anybody care? And that takes us back to Trans-Currency once more. If you pass as a woman and have liaisons with famous people you are 'worthy' of national recognition and an exhibition, and if you don't you are a monster to be mocked by the media.

She got an MBE for being pretty - well done. You will note there are very few if any photos or videos of her actually doing something selfless for others, usually it is telling the same story about herself over and over. I would be more inclined to award it had she not been attractive and had to endure life in the UK as a plain Jane, working away for change, with no escape to luxury and glamour. And yet there were many transwomen like that around at the time she bolted, their names now forgotten. And that's a real shame!

Don't get me wrong, she was actually very lucky for a transwoman and took advantage of it, even today this still applies. Despite her apparent hardships, they fade into insignificance compared to the alternatives most faced.

But I think she needs to be a little more humble. Maybe she needs to adjust her boasts a little at least so they are factually correct.

Trans-currency Media and Celebrity.
http://blog.transgenderzone.com/?p=1043

---

8 Out of 10 Cats
04/10
Channel 4

SHOW PROGRAMME INFO

Jimmy Carr hosts the topical comedy panel game with team captains Sean Lock and Jon Richardson. Sean and Jon are joined in their quest to uncover the public's most popular taking points by Jack Dee, Steve Jones, David O'Doherty and Jamelia.

Comment

Here we go again, it is like f*cking Ground Hog Day.

Channel 4 Promises are now less than worthless.

Their Memorandum of Understanding is in tatters.

In under 2 minutes we have this opening joke in the opening show of the new series.

Sad - just sad.

And clearly Channel 4 are untouchable, unflinchable, and are never going to change.

I think it is time to just wash our hands of any negotiations and pull out of any agreements, and maybe even tear up their MOU.

Jimmy Carr - 20% of travellers claim to be members of the mile high club! I once had a near miss on a flight to Thailand! Sorry, not near miss, pre-op transsexual. (Near'ly' a miss).

ImageChannel4

ImageChannel4

ImageChannel4

FFS it don't get much worse than this, pre-op Transsexual, laughing at transpeople for just existing, describing someone pre-op as not quite a miss. Misgendering.

WHAT is going on?

This is outrageous!

What will be done? Nothing can be it seems - they take no notice.

---

My Tattoo Addiction
04/10
4seven

This episode meets people whose body art has a profound effect on their lives, from Mark's deliberately provocative photo-realist tattoos to Joanne's reminder of her previous life as a man. [AD,S]

Comment

Interesting look at the folly of tattoos really. As no one really came out of this looking good apart from the woman who had her nipples tattooed on after breast reconstruction. Mostly it was young people on holiday getting drunk and being taken advantage off - as that is what it was!

There should be a rule that they must be sober or have a breathalyser test before they can agree to this. It would not be allowed in medicine so why with this?

That said, if you have the money and a true artist, then it can be interesting, but unlike a painting you can sell, this you are stuck with. I am not a big fan of tattoos as you can probably guess but that's just my opinion and a fair one I think. I do not have any that's for sure! The risk of infection alone with dirty needles should be enough to stop people.

One person had 'Woody' who is a good artist it is true, paint Adolf Hitler holding a gas bill. I think he is trying to be Banksy. But it doesn't really work.

So the transperson had this tattoo and was married with kids and now wants it covered over with another to make her more feminine - lasered-off may have been better? The replacement was a huge inked hairdo on a woman showing her breasts... is that more feminine? I don't really know enough about the subject - but not my cup of tea.

I feel the tattooing is a bit of a spurious means to get a documentary going by another avenue. A bit like having a documentary about people who own green doors or red Ford Fiestas - where does it end?

So the story quickly went along the usual transgender documentary pathway, it was OK. And its better to be included in something like this than be excluded of course, but it is yet another cheap documentary that is trying to show Channel 4 as being transpositive? When in the next breath they are making Pre-op transsexual Jokes on '8 Out of 10 Cats'.

I think they are a little lost and the case of Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

When they commission a drama with a transsexual in a supporting role - let me know. As until then this still is not good enough and I have tonnes of documentaries like this in our archives that if you remove the tattooing link are identical - that are like Ground Hog Day.

Channel 4
---

Cops
04/10
Movie Mix

Another airing of the sexual inappropriate search of a transwoman.

Imagemoviemix

I dip in and out of Cops as and when purely because of time covering old news, but as the thread previously created shows, you can kinda take it as read they just humiliate transpeople in that show for ratings!

see
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3842

---

Family Guy
04/10
BBC THREE

Valentine's Day in Quahog: Subversive animated comedy about the trials and tribulations of family life. On Valentine's Day, Meg goes on a date with a guy she met online. Contains adult humour. [S]

Unfortunate comment regarding Quagmire's 'dad'.

see more
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3962

---

Run, Fat Boy, Run
05/10
E4+1

Simon Pegg/Thandie Newton/Hank Azaria/Dylan Moran/India de Beaufort/Stephen Merchant;David Schwimmer;;

Comment

Easier to send you here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1834

---

My Tattoo Addiction
06/10
4seven

Repeat of the show see:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3976

---

New- Family Guy
06/10
BBC THREE

Chris Cross: Animated comedy. When Meg catches Chris stealing money from Lois's purse, she makes him do her chores. Contains adult humour. [S]

Comment

Transgender gag -

Chris - That's it! I am getting those sneakers - after all shoes make the man!
Cut-away to running track and runner in high heels -
Starter - Gentlemen take you marks!
Running - hobbles along mincing and camp voiced - "I'm a different kind of winner!"

Comment

Yet another trans gag - it is one a week in this new series on the BBC - this is probably their most popular cartoon, it is like 'Friends' was on Channel 4 - so will the BBC ever vet anything transphoic from it's content NOT A CHANCE and thats why the BBC are for the most part useless and abusive.

It at first glance seem harmless - well it is less harmful than most of their efforts, but if we look again.

Misgendering, and belittling. Laughing at a 'man' in high feels. Why would a man' be wearing high heels? One could argue its a cartoon get over it! But I have seen the same laughter, pointing and humiliation of transwomen, who may not pass socially in the gender they present. After all Eddie Izzard wheres heels even in boy mode.

Again not as bad as usual as there is space to say its the wrong footware, but then why say, "I'm a different kind of winner?"

Hmmmm....

It just reminded me of the playground where a kid is walking like someone disabled making grunting noises behind another kid using a wheelchair for laughs.

---

Ladyboys
'Doing It For Themselves'
06/10
Pick TV

Doing It For Themselves - Following on from the acclaimed documentary exploring the world of Thailand's ladyboys, this thought-provoking series offers further insight into a sector of Thai society that makes up one per cent of the country's population. This final episode soars into the skies with PC Air, the world's first airline to hire ladyboy stewardesses. We also catch up with Nok, who has a life-changing decision to make.

Comment

Good!

---

Staying In with Greg and Russell
09/10
BBC THREE

3/8. Greg James and Russell Kane invite celebrity guests over to their flat for chat and entertainment. Conor Maynard drops by and performs his new single. Contains some strong language. [S]

The BBC Presenters asked this question - Gregg and Russel did not have to!
Russell - You were a drag queen dancer is that right?
Scissor Sisters Ana Matronic - Yes! When I lived in San Fransisco! I was part of regular performers at a place called tranny shack!
Russell shows a picture of her in a black bra and heels.
Ana - Interestingly that was blow job night!
Greg - what happens on Blow Job night?
Ana - The BIG LOAD contest!
Greg - A big Load contest?
Ana - with zeal - oh yeah!
Greg - whose measuring this?
Ana - they spunked into plastic bags and they are like holding it up!
Stacey Solemon - Oh my God!
Russell - who has got the best potential out of me and greg to be a drag queen then?

Comment

We all know about the SS and their one hit wonder 'I don't feel like dancin' - thats about it really?
Scissor Sisters are an American pop group formed in 2001. "Spawned by the scuzzy, gay nightlife scene of New York,"

The name of the band is a sexual act.

And Ana Lynch or 'Ana Matronic' did work as a drag dancer - how does that work? In gay clubs.

However this is a perfect example of Gay licence and even that is by proxy as she says she is not gay - so a story about a story about a story... http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2976 in action. And transphobia by proxy. See

She is not trans, so may have 'history' with the community but has no ownership of the label. In the same way a white guy with black mates will get into trouble saying 'ma n*ga'.

However here is a case of it being seen as fair game - it is not.

This is a bit more complicated than the usual trans comments as it is her (rather selective anecdote said just to shock) lived experience. Nevertheless, repeating this on the BBC and not removing it has done untold damage to our community yet again.

This is a real issue here!

First they are blurring hard core sexual practices, with drag and the term tranny.

Tranny is seen in the UK as transgender - NOT DRAG! Drag is left at the stage door for the most part unless they are walking to work. So it has left (pun intended) a bitter taste in the mouth!.

The term Tranny Shack has been adopted by many gay nights in towns. Tranny night, and tranny this and tranny that, usually the performers will accept any label to earn a crust. The owners of the establishments are rarely trans, and if they are they are sell-outs to the dollar or pound. As they know the damage the label causes, but there is too much money in its use for them to stop! Especially in porn! An example of that is the term Tranny on google images. Many pimps and sex traffikers use the term to sell their products.

Nuff said!

If she danced in a bar called 'The n*gger shack' would she be so happy to say it today? And if she did so would the BBC bleep or edit it out? Of course they would it goes without saying!

All I want is the same respect for our community.

The presenters already knew what she would answer as they have prompts and research. so its just another excuse by the BBC to try and get away with it.

Well they didn't!

---

Celebrity Juice
10/10
ITV2

Keith Lemon continues the tenth series of the outrageous comedy panel show. Fearne Cotton is settled back in as team captain following her maternity break, with fellow presenter Holly Willoughby once again leading the opposing team.

Comment

A week off? Not a chance.

About Fearne Cotton - "she sits there scratching her balls!"

Transphobia by Proxy! Stay tuned it happens next week too!

---

Loose Women
11/10
ITV1

Dame Edna Everage joins Carol Vorderman, Denise Welch and Sherrie Hewson on today's show.

Comment

Drag Act Dame Edna AKA Barrie Humphries is back to top up his pension scheme.

Hurry up and retire - we see the difference in this man's act when we compare his other character 'Sir Les Patterson' who never really had the same global appeal. What is the variable? The dress, what else?

Annoying and dated. If Barrie and Christopher Biggins moved to a desert Island that would help a little. :)

---

New - Celebrity Wedding Planner
11/10
Channel 5

Pete Burns and John McCririck: New documentary series. John McCririck and Pete Burns plan the wedding of Astra and Anthony from Doncaster, who have a traditional ceremony in mind. [S]

Comment

This was a documentary, but in actuality it unintentionally(?) turned out to be one of the funniest things I have seen this year. Another pat on the back for Channel 5!

Pete is just a funny guy, a nightmare, but funny, he is clearly gender-variant, but identifies as a gay man.
Nevertheless there are transissues at play here and thus deserves a mention - worth watching!

Couple Pete with Lauren Harries and give them their own chat show before someone else does!

I have suggested this for years and still think I have something!

---

8 Out of 10 Cats
11/10
Channel 4

Jimmy Carr hosts the comedy panel game with team captains Sean Lock and Jon Richardson. Sean and Jon are joined by Richard Hammond, Carol Vorderman, Paul Foot and Matt Forde.

Comment

Worst thing about living alone?

Sean Lock - AGAIN - Builds up to another trans gag - this man is a nuisance and a Channel 4 staple. Only the other day we reported on him laughing with Alan Carr about trans surgery.

This week he says:

Sean Lock - The worse thing about living alone is only being able to wear your own clothes! There is not another like bank of clothes! Like to dip into. If the situation arises that you'd need to. Paul foot then picks up on this set-up.
Paul Foot beside him - Yeah if you like wearing women's clothes, in the day.
Sean Lock - WOW WOW WOW I didn't mean that!
(LAUGHTER)
Paul Foot - you might say that...
Sean Lock - not on television I don't.
Paul Foot - you could say it is part of a loving heterosexual relationship, it is just something I like doing, when my wife's out sort of thing.
Sean Lock - Who told you that?
Paul Foot - It is fairly obvious!
(MORE LAUGHTER)

Comment

Lets break this down.

This is a constant in comedy - "something I do" or "he does at the weekends" seems to be one of the original transphbic jokes ever, and has been said and is continually said when men talk about anything femme on telly.

"Paul Foot beside him - Yeah if you like wearing women's clothes, in the day."
It is interesting that this is automatically assumed to be a transgender issue, I mean no one has considered that the person maybe a woman!"

Sean's denial and - WOW WOW WOW at the very suggestion, is the pub bravado that many trans have to deal with.

"Paul Foot - you could say it is part of a loving heterosexual relationship, it is just something I like doing, when my wife's out sort of thing."

Paul maybe thinking he is being PC but he is in fact stereotyping here. That it is OK to wear 'women's clothes' if it is part of a heterosexual relationship and something you do when the wife is out.

This is a very dated view of trans life, this may have been his education in the 80s, but it has that pipe and slippers and wig kinda undertone. He mention's 'the wife'. What about a husband? It all gets a series of laughs. Again why? What is funny about getting dressed? They are laughing at an image in their heads conjured up by the comics, of some sad 'man' who's wife goes out and 'he' has to wear her dress and sit in a chair.

This is just awful again. And damaging. Why doesn't Sean Lock shut up for a year or two about trans issues and give us a break. He has a terrible track record with transphobic comments - perhaps the worst on television. Channel 4 too!

Another nail in their MOU promises to stop this.

---

Futurama
'Beast with a Billion Backs'
12/10
Pick TV

Feature-length episode of the futuristic cartoon comedy. Fry, Leela and Bender tackle a revolting, planet-sized monster armed with tentacles and amorous intentions.

Comment

Futurama won our best animation award last year and for good reason, check out the http://www.transgendertelevisionawards.com page to see what I mean and why.

This episode was notable because of the transgender pronoun gag that is as follows...

In this older one we see Fry become the leader of a new faith. Speaking for the alien he says,

"The monster's name is Yivo, lover of all things male and female, but Yivo has no gender! So Yivo has proclaimed instead of he or she, we are to use the word 'Sklee'." Instead off her or him we are to use the word 'Sklim' or 'Skler!'." Hermes retorts, "Phew! I've been sweating over the nomenclature all week!"

Funny! And shows that with a little thought writers can make inoffensive funny gags in this way.

Image (Image Pick TV/FOX).

Clever writing :) And kinda funny as that's the way it is going with pronouns LOL! :lol:

---

Bad Education
12/10
BBC THREE

6/6. Fundraiser: Abbey Grove is plunged into financial ruin. Can Alfie come up with a plan to save it? Can he stop Miss Gulliver leaving? Contains adult humour. [AD,S]

Jack Whitehall's character speaks to the kitchen staff.

Imagebbc

"And my mate here! Iggy Pop, this guy is...."
His female colleague butts in...
"...one of the nicest WOMEN! I have ever worked with!"
Jack - Looks frightened and responds - huhuhuhooooooshhhh....

Imagebbc

Comment

Jack has done his fair share of transphobia in the past - see 'Mock The Week'.

However he has a habit of being part of it in his sitcoms too. Tranny last series. This series, we had stereotyping when it was assumed a member of staff was trans - who was not.

And a few other 'gags'.

This one is misgendering for laughs.

Misgendering anyone is bad but if this is done for a laugh. Hahaha he looks like a woman or she looks like a man. Could have been written better.

---

UK Border Force
13/10
Pick TV

Observational documentary series. Officers stop a Nigerian with a forged passport who insists he is 15 years old. A transgendered woman suffering from terminal cancer and with just $10 to her name finds out if she qualifies to get into the country. A criminal is caught in Calais.

Comment

A regular repeat that does the rounds. These fly-on-the-wall docu shows do tend to jump for joy when anyone gender variant passes through customs. Unfortunately.

---

Ladyboys
'Going the Distance'
13/10
Pick TV

Second series of the intriguing and, at times, emotional documentary that travels to Thailand to explore the world of male-to-female transgender persons. This opening episode explores the relationships between British ex-pats who have left their families, friends and careers to start afresh with their ladyboy lovers. The cameras follow a former university lecturer who has set up home with his transgender lover. Life seems sweet, but they have yet to convince the teacher's son.

Comment

Repeated often but can't deny its not a good programme.

If there was one minor issue it would be it kinda focuses too much on the pretty girls - what about the rest?

---

The Simpsons
'Any Given Sundance'
14/10
Channel 4

Lisa makes a candid documentary about life in the Simpson household. Her film is a success at the Sundance Film Festival, but turns her family into national hate figures.

Comment

Marge walks in on a trans film.

Marge is shocked and distressed to see a cross-dresser applying make-up in a movie.

Nothing to report other than the joke is she sees the movie title 'Regularsville' and she then says when she leaves in a panic, "I get it(!), every movie is the opposite to what it means." So we can glean from that that a transgender person is 'irregular'?

Being picky but nevertheless!

---

Top Gear
14/10
Dave

Motoring magazine presented by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. This week, who can get to the ski slopes first - Jeremy by road in a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, or James and Richard by air? A rally car goes head to head with a bobsleigh and this edition's 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' is Eddie Izzard.

Comment

Not what you might think - actually quite positive - TG also had an episode where they had to collect a Cher impersonator from Las Vegas in a Range Rover Vogue after testing it in the desert. In this episode Eddie Izzard drives around the track. All very nice. Repeat of course. Original Air Date 19/12/2004. Clarkson had brown hair in this ;).

---

Bizarre Animal ER
14/10
Really

Documentary series featuring the oddest animal accidents and strangest pet problems from all corners of the UK - from domestic pets and farmyard animals injured in unusual circumstances to weird emergencies experienced by wildlife - and the most surprising stories of animal misadventure. A lizard laying an egg suffers a prolapse, there's eye-watering surgery when vets perform a sex change on a tom cat, and a hedgehog undergoes plastic surgery after its face is ripped off in a cat attack.

Comment

Silly but 'sex-change' is used :)

---

The Reith Lectures
Grayson Perry
15/10
BBC Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00729d ... e#b00sj965

Comment

Funny and smart, and Grayson didn't look bad either ;)

---

New - Sweat the Small Stuff
15/10
BBC THREE

New series. 1/8. Panel show with Nick Grimshaw, captains Rochelle Humes and Melvin Odoom, plus Conor Maynard, Seann Walsh, Matt Richardson and Jacqueline Jossa. Contains some strong language. [S]

Comment

Nick asks the panel if a series of members of the public in the street if they wear their partner's clothes.

Imagebbc

Most were shocked. They all laughed.
One said he did and the panel were aghast.
Another panelist pictured said. "No I am not that Kinky."
They all laughed!

Imagebbc

Trivia - Nick Grimshaw is no stranger to using the term Tranny on air he used it on his previous job on T4. And on the left of the panel is Seann Walsh who last month hosted some of the most transphobic content is his 'Seann Walsh's Late Night Comedy' again on BBC THREE. As time goes on we build little 'records' on everybody.

BBC Three seem commission bit of transgender stuff (Jakie Green Beauty Queen etc) as some pay off for all this other junk. Why bother asking this question at all?

You couldn't justify racism this way so why transphobia?

And being described as 'Kinky' and then laughing is not helpful either, the BBC are publishing this.

Imagebbc

Kinky is associated with sexual fetishism and can range into to the paraphilic.

Hmmmm... It is treated like a 'game' - it can be. But many transpeople question this as a control. In other words, if it were totally socially acceptable to 'cross-dress' would this just continue out of the bedroom and into the workplace? Is its association with sex the only way some can make an excuse for it in private. Complex issues best avoided by asking something else. And even then do not laugh at it ffs! No wonder so many asked felt insulted or ashamed!

One person asked did say they did and 'it was nice' and the audience went OOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! YUK!!!!

Grimshaw says, "Naughty James very naughty."

I wonder if James was from central casting, in any case they all laughed and made it 'naughty' again this is 'shame'. Just stop!

The title of this show is 'Sweat the small stuff' being trans or being gender-variant in how you dress is one of the biggest issues in a person's life, so that belittles the topic and that's probably the worse thing of all!

This reaction stops people coming out, as here is an example of what people think of you! You are either a laughing stock or a pervert - OR BOTH!

Alan Carr later does something similar regarding Alex Reid on Channel 4, laughing at someone who has an 'alternative identity' Roxanne - but again links it with sex and perversion for a laugh.

---

This Morning
'The night I tried to cut off my penis'
17/10
ITV1

Phillip Schofield Voice Over -

"Kirsty Cass knew she was different from the age of five but she was born a boy and was known as 'Andy' until five years ago. However, after 40 years suppressing her feelings, getting married to a woman and having a child, Kirsty found herself taking drastic action. Depressed and drunk, Kirsty saw only one way out of her troubles; she took a Stanley knife to her penis and tried to cut it off. Unable to finish 'the job' and almost bleeding to death in the process, Kirsty was rushed to hospital where her penis was reattached. Seeing this moment as a turning point, Kirsty has since then lived her life as a woman – and in March this year she underwent gender reassignment surgery to finally become the woman she always dreamed of being."

Kirsty said of being diagnosed after the incident: “I think it was good when I actually heard the psychiatrist say gender dysphoria. Basically they summed up who I was, and what I was going through – in the way that there was help there.

“That’s what made a difference to me. Before I didn’t think there was help.”

"Today, she joined us on This Morning to tell us about her experience."

Comment

I have been accused of sitting here being a media doom mongor! But this is not actually true, as UK media gives me very little alternatives unfortunately!

It was OK and the same story from 3 years earlier. I was more interested in how she had changed as back then she was early in transition. Also a better age demographic for once. Trans do not disappear after 30!

Kirsty Cass told the same story here -
Live with Gabby
12/10
Channel 5
Gabby interviews 'DIY Sex change' Kirsty Cass
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -23450231/

Maybe if ITV1 knew they would not have booked her.

---
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up Oct 2013

Postby Ice Maiden » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:20 pm

---

The IT Crowd
'Reynholm vs Reynholm'
17/10
E4

The Boss is in court to defend his fortune from his wife.

However, his defence rests on saying "She used to be a man!"

"Did you used to be a man?" The Judge asks, "No!" She replied.

Imagee4

"Your entire defence rested on that?"

"Who am I thinking about?"

"April," Jen replies, "the one you had a fight with."

Yeah he did fight a trans woman and left her for dead after smashing her through a plate glass window to the hilarity of the audience.

Imagec4
Imagec4
Imagec4
Past episode where a trans woman is written in with the sole intention of violently assaulting her for laughs. Images: Channel4

or more recently where they mocked Moss for going into a women's wear shop.

Very old tired gags. When will it end?

---

Gogglebox
18/10
4seven

Britain's most opinionated TV viewers pass judgement on Celebrity Wedding Planner, Dogs: Their Secret Lives, Made in Chelsea, Stephen Fry: Out There, and Mastermind. [S]

Comment

Another offering by Channel 4 Network.

Celebrity Wedding Planner was the show I was interested in hearing their views on, now members of the public are like a cross between the Royle Family (remember them when they wrote last Christmas a cross-dresser lived on Tranny Avenue. hence Caroline Aherne doing the Voice-over see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3439. And a focus group.

Now, Channel 4 can hide behind this suggesting - it is the views of the nation! Well many have extreme views you have to be careful who you give a platform too these days!

No transpeople are listed in the people featured. Although there is a gay couple. And Gay people can be more vicious as they often use Gay Licence as we already well know Alan Carr, Paul O' Grady etc... http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2976

OK so 'The celebrity Wedding Planner' featured Pete Burns see above my review of 11th of this month.

I get the feeling that some people may have said some things that may have been outrageous and were edited out, just been doing this too long and can kinda gauge behaviours.

In any case here are some of the comments:

Posh couple - OK this is car-crash TV classic Channel 5!
Gay couple - AHHHerrrr!!!! Look at PETE BURNS!!!
Two women - What is Pete? Is he transvestite? Transgender? Is he Gay? Or does he want to be a woman? What is he?
Family - He used to have an eye patch...
Gay couple - Pete Burns is a very angry person. So would you be if you looked like that!!!
Older couple - If anybody in their right mind would have those two planning their wedding it's just ooohhh totally stupid!
Gay Couple - EHHHHHH ERRRRRR Gross...
Older couple - Imagine kissing that...
I find him physically repulsive and offensive...

The way they went off on John was quite harsh, and I just felt something was restrained about what was being said about Pete.

OK so Pete is gender-variant that's obvious, but as far as I am aware identifies as a gay man. Although you would have to ask him as this can change of course. What worried me more was that this as entertainment was watchable - you couldn't take you eyes off them. They delivered what they were booked for. I found it hilarious actually. Pete is Pete, I think he has had to learn to be tough to protect himself. The two women did try and use the correct terms, but 'what is he?...' does it matter. I mean what if I asked, "What are you love?!" And the idea anger is associated with looking 'that way' was a bit unkind. Pete has had medical problems associated with infection and nearly died. And how he looks now is amazing when you consider how poorly he was with his lip infections.

It was OK, and if the editors did calm this down a bit I think!

But still a long way to go I think! As it is still being said.

---

This Morning
18/10
ITV1

Morning show featuring the latest news topics alongside showbiz and lifestyle features. Presented by Ruth Langsford and Eamonn Holmes.

Comment

Lauren Harries is back.

Improved presentation this time. Less overwhelming, and bossy.

Dressed in black - what else? She is getting some TV work and that's got to be good. I think ITV may have taken a risk here but it looks like it is going to pay off. Well done This Morning - and Lauren - DO NOT BLOW THIS OPPORTUNITY this time ;)

AL JAZEERA

AL JAZEERA

They spoke about the difficulties in employment, abuse, victimisation and their own experiences.The programme was 30 mins, but so interesting, and even the presenter was disappointed when the 30mins were up! It went so fast!

Reminded my of our VLOG albeit being retransmitted :)

Seriously though it was superb. A very surprising programme that came out of the blue!

A rare top marks from me on this one! It demonstrates that new media is the shape of things to come! As without Google Hangout/Skype this sort of thing is not possible!

Image 5/5 TZ Stars - Excellent!

Channel 4 and BBC - watch and learn!

---

Celebrity Juice
19/10
ITV2

X Factor special of the comedy panel show hosted by the outrageous Keith Lemon. Team captains Holly Willoughby and Fearne Cotton are joined by the singing competition's presenters Dermot O'Leary and Caroline Flack and half of its judging panel in the shape of music mogul Louis Walsh and former Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger.

Comment

Shows Madonnas head on a mans body showing a penis. Whilst this maybe a stretch here to use trans issues and, its a big laugh, they are still laughing at the concept of a woman with a penis. Again who are they in our society? Transwomen before surgery (or may not want surgery). That is 'funny'?

This is something that needs to be slowly eroded out of their repertoire in the same way racism was a struggle for many comics to give up as that was funny too to the mainly white audiences of the 60s and 70s. It is just time to stop now.

What Keith (Leigh Francis) does on stage to a private gig is his business in the same way Roy 'Chubby' Brown and Jim Davidson has been accused recently - but they ain't on telly doing it! But what is being piped into our homes and being published by ITV (who has to have a broadcasting license) is another matter completely. Itv have a duty of care to ensure this is under control. They are failing and have done so catastrophically with Leigh Francis over the years. But he is all they have it seems, and for now is going nowhere, so we have to live with this I guess.

Why cannot he just be more inventive? In the end this is just '18-30' holidays humour from the 1980s taken from the Spanish playa to the TV Studio. But with z-listers. But Even the beach antics of the 80s did not attack transpeople in the way this show tends to do. Again Holly shown laughing at it all does not help her role on 'This Morning', especially when she may have a 'woman with a penis' on tomorrow and have to take is seriously. Who is the real Holly? The one laughing on Celebrity Juice at these things or the one on Lunchtimes?

---

Ladyboys
'Going the Distance'
19/10
Pick TV

Second series of the intriguing and, at times, emotional documentary that travels to Thailand to explore the world of male-to-female transgender persons. This opening episode explores the relationships between British ex-pats who have left their families, friends and careers to start afresh with their ladyboy lovers. The cameras follow a former university lecturer who has set up home with his transgender lover. Life seems sweet, but they have yet to convince the teacher's son.

Comment

Interesting and worth watching. Repeated forever :)

---

The Jonathan Ross Show
19/10
ITV1

Jonathan continues the fifth series of his popular chat show. His guests tonight are Queen's Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp, fiery celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, football hero Frank Lampard and the highly regarded actor Julie Walters. One of the UK's biggest music stars, Dizzee Rascal, also joins Jonathan for a chat and performs live in the studio.

Comment

Subtle but still cross-dressing joke by proxy of Frank Lampard.

FL - I would do a wedding for my fiance in the UK...
JR - A white one and the white dress and all that?
FL - yes.
JR - And something for the bride to wear as well?

Laughter...

It is funny if you are not trans, but the problem is if this were not funny he would not say it. Why is it funny? This is the mountain we have to climb, after all many transpeople identify and state they are female from birth with the wrong anatomy, they are women (or men). Yet nobody laughed at his fiance stating she would choose her own dress.

If a tranperson like Eddie Izzard did then they would laugh.

Annoying and will take great effort from people like Jonathan to step away from this cheap route to a 'funny'.

Just picked out of the air. And again it is the 'what YOU DO AT THE WEEKENDS' gag that's been around for so long...

More to come unfortunately from him stay tabbed!

---

Ladyboys
'Living the Dream'
20/10
Pick TV

Living the Dream: Series following British men who have moved to Thailand to join their ladyboy lovers. Cameras follow a couple who have got engaged and run a bar in Pattaya beach.

Comment

- Good - and a mainstay Repeat of Pick now it seems :)

---

Bob's Burgers
20/10
E4

Animated comedy. Tina is desperate to have her first kiss at her 13th birthday party. But after Louise breaks the deep fryer, Bob takes a second job as a taxi driver to pay for Tina's party.

Comment

I have reported on this before time and time again.

E4 Show us Bob pick up 3 transwomen, they are 'naturally' hookers, and they focus on male attributes, close ups of Adam's apples, beard stubble and deep voices.

This although BB is quite a mellow cartoon about family life. This is just stereotyping for laughs.

Imagee4

---

Toast of London
20/10
Channel 4

Imagec4
Channel 4

Full Review...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4017#p36565

---

Alan Carr- Chatty Man
21/18
Channel 4

Comic Alan Carr hosts his own light-hearted chat show. His guests are Britney Spears, Mo Farah and Joseph Gordon-Levitt while music is supplied by Jake Bugg.

Opens with this

"Katie Price has been revealing all about married life with Alex Reid and his Alter Ego Roxanne! Apparently Alex had a pink sex machine, with a moving frame you affix different attachments to! [...] Katie said the relationship left her disturbed, vulnerable and frightened."

Comment

Hmmmm....

I worry about any transperson getting a modicum of profile on television, they will be torn apart and thrown to the dogs by men like this.

---

Star Trek - Enterprise
22/10
Pick TV

Fight or Flight: Prequel Star Trek series, set 100 years before the time of Captain Kirk, when interstellar travel is in its infancy. The crew encounters an abandoned ship containing dead aliens, who seem to be victims of scientific experiments.

"After helping them recover their dead crewman, we had some time to spend with the Axanar. They're androgynous and live over 400 years.

Comment

'Crew MAN?' Again for something so futuristic they make the stupidest mistakes.

They just said they are androgynous :) In any case nice to see androgens knocking about the universe for a change ;)

---

Snog Marry Avoid
22/10
BBC THREE

4/10. Karina and Dan: Makeunder show with Ellie Taylor. POD takes on Cardiff! Ellie tries out 3D nails and POD takes on Karina - nicknamed 'tangerina' and Dan from South Shields. [S]

Comment

"You look (as bad as) like Pete Burns!"

C'mon BBC you can do better than that!

---

Ladyboys
22/10
Pick TV

Living the Dream:

Series following British men who have moved to Thailand to join their ladyboy lovers. Cameras follow a couple who have got engaged and run a bar in Pattaya beach.

Comment

Good - repeated a LOT! :) What about some new stuff eh?

---

Grayson Perry: Beating the Bounds
22/10
Radio 4

Comment

Witty and educational - top marks!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/reith

---

Star Trek - Enterprise
23/10
Pick TV

Unexpected: After sharing a friendly moment with the female engineers of an alien ship, Trip discovers that he's just had his first experience with alien sex, and is now pregnant! [S]

Comment

Pregnant Man ... It is a trans issue - see Thomas Beattie amongst others...

---

New - Unsafe Sex in the City
23/10
BBC THREE

4/6. Series following events at sexual health clinics. Sasha is concerned that her sexual health may stand in the way of her gender reassignment surgery. Contains strong language. [S]

Comment

This was a rather transgender heavy episode, last seen with Transwoman Jasmine Goode in Manchester, this time we are in Exeter and Leeds.

Tbh it was a bit of a pig's breakfast. Although it did start well.

Imagebbc

Sacha is a transgirl in Leeds with best mate Fabian.

Full Review
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4019

---

Gogglebox
23/10
Channel 4

They showed the parts where Hayley in Coronation Street, was talking about ending her life.

All very moving and weepy...

---

Up All Night - The Minicab Office
24/10
Channel 4

Documentary. On a Saturday night in Norwich, Courtesy Taxis is a go-to place for the legions of revellers heading home when the pubs and clubs close their doors.

Comment

Taxi carries 'outrageous' drag queens somewhere. It was all too much, and playing up for the cameras.

Nothing against drag queens as long as they leave transpeople out of their sets. But 'Bag O Chips' and and company just gave me a headache.

The Driver instantly defined them as gay, despite not actually telling him so. All cross-dressers are gay of course (Joke!)

"Get you c*ck out!" "I am dry as a nun's minge!"

Crude, and old fashioned.

Sadly this reflects on the trans community and we are grouped in with these images.

To quote last month's NHS nurses on BBC's 'Unsafe Sex in the City', "Lily Savage is a transsexual isn't she?!"

Mountain to climb.

---

Ladyboys
'Living the Dream'
25/10
Pick TV

Living the Dream: Series following British men who have moved to Thailand to join their ladyboy lovers. Cameras follow a couple who have got engaged and run a bar in Pattaya beach.

Comment

Good. (But seemed to be a lot of repeats!
Negatives - Sets the benchmark a bit high for western transwomen who are now mostly judged against Ladyboys as what 'you should look like' to be a transwoman. Anything less is a 'fail'. Funny not even cisgender women fail to be women if they have a face like the back of a bus!

---

The Wright Stuff
Channel 5
25/10

Lively magazine show in which Matthew Wright and guests discuss the topical issues of the day.
Presented by Matthew Wright and Panelists Janet Ellis, Christopher Biggins and Nick Wallis. With Television Critic Kevin O'Sullivan.

Comment

Headline reads this

Channel 5

Again sensitively handled by Matthew, however his panelists did get a little lost here and there.

The main concern was about making a mistake of course but they were satisfied that it was more important transgender children do not fear coming out and GPs do not down play this serious issue.

Nick Wallis got a bit lost talking about sexuality of children, not realising it has nothing to do with gender. Janet was pretty good, and fair, Christopher Biggins last seen with his foot in his mouth over Lauren Harries here...viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3899&start=15#p35813 when he said amongst other things about Lauren - Christopher Biggins - "But he....." Twice and then finished with "But I remember HIM when he was a man!!"

So unsurprisingly Christopher did a bit too much head-shaking and reminded everyone how sad it is when 'they want to change back'. This is like saying no one have heart surgery cos one patient may die on the table. If it is something you 'need' to survive you take the risk. In any case this is about blocking puberty till the child can decide and allowing gender expression at school without being bullied. Wish I was born now that's all I can say!

Channel 5

Channel 5

Suffice it to say, not too bad and Matthew (and Janet) were outstanding and balanced as always.

---

Have I Got News for You
25/10
BBC ONE

4/11. The popular news quiz, with team captains Paul Merton and Ian Hislop, guest host Jo Brand and guest panellists Gyles Brandreth and John Prescott. Also in HD. [S]

Comment

Giles Brandreth on new Prince George.

"They could have called the baby after Theresa May but if the baby going to be a cross-dresser?"

Image bbc

Gets a big laugh

John Prescott laughs -

Note that Paul Merton doesn't! -

Image bbc

The same John who gushed over Paris on Question Time and is all chummy with April Ashley...in his twitter feed? The thing is now he is 'out to grass', he has decided to play the 'celebrity circuit' Be Celebrity Big Brother next!

Giles - If you start off in a frock where do you end?
Ian - You end up as an archbishop...

This whole 'bit' was laughing at cross-dressing. What else is it if it is not that?

---

Alan Carr - Chatty Man
25/10
Channel 4

Comic Alan Carr hosts his own light-hearted chat show. Actor Michael Sheen joins Alan to talk about his latest role, Amanda Holden discusses her new autobiography, while American actor and musician Jared Leto chats about his rock band Thirty Seconds To Mars, and Karl Pilkington talks about his new show The Moaning of Life. Music comes from Swedish duo Icona Pop, who perform a medley of their hits.

Jared Leto
See: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4013&p=36550

Comment

Alan again combine 'Gay Licence' with 'Transphobia by Proxy' when he has a good laugh with Jared about playing a transwoman in a film.

Image c4

Problem? Its obvious, all Jared could talk about was chatting men up as a woman, and sexual attractiveness.

Then Alan goes on about how when he cross-dresses he is a 'Sl*g' and then does a leg cross that exposes the groin. As if to say, this is what I do in a dress.

This all bundles cr*p onto the trans community, as a bunch of people who dress as women for sex basically.

"Did you get any wolf whistles or men going like that," Says Alan putting his had under an invisible crotch and laughing.

Image c4

It is apparently OK to inappropriatly touch a transwoman of course - cos she is not 'really a woman'.

Image c4

Alan - 'Oh Look at me I have forgotten my panties!'

Give me strength!

---

The Cariad Show
25/10
BBC Three

Comedy pilot featuring Cariad Lloyd playing a range of characters, including Jooooooey, Pam St Clement as you have never seen her and Cockney Sam. Contains some strong language. [S]

Comment

Likely to have been influenced by Channel 4's Mogana Robinson - search our forums. When she dressed as men.

Cariad plays a few men in this comedy sketch show. It dragged on a bit - pun intended - especially the 'bit' where she played a bad French Parcours (Free Running/Urban acrobats etc) enthusiast.

Image bbc

Image bbc

Image bbc

I do not think the 9 year old boy in his grandad's clothing was quite the look or plan she was after here. But that's how it came across - sorry. That said she plays the females fine of course ;) Stick to your strengths I think.

Image bbc

Cariad usually.

It just didn't work for me I am afraid. Makes a change to see a woman dressed as a man I suppose, but still the same problem either way. To show I am not a complete party-pooper with women dressing as men here I would like to note, Morgana Robinson won our best newcomer last year in our TV awards (http://www.transtvawards.com) managed to escape purely because she was so convincing as a man that it may actually encourage trans men to transition. As if she can pass that well she may give them some tips on body language, voice and gait etc.

This is Morgana as Danny Dyer

Point proven! This is Morganna as she presents usually.

Nevertheless, as for Cariad I didn't laugh once. Laughing at her hopeless effort as men is an unplanned bonus perhaps?

---

The Jonathan Ross Show
26/10
ITV1

Star-studded chat show hosted by Jonathan Ross. Among the A-list stars joining Jonathan tonight are X Factor judges Gary Barlow, Nicole Scherzinger and Louis Walsh, supermodel Naomi Campbell, comedy actor Stephen Merchant and singer Laura Mvula, who performs live in the studio.

Comment

How soon he forgets about Paris talking to him all that time ago about mocking transpeople. In one ear and out the other! Well why should he change, as he said, transgender people are funny!

Naomi Cambell - "Maybe I should put on sexy lingerie?"

Imageitv

Jonathan Ross - "I am not wearing any of that sh*t anymore!"

[He didn't have to say that... but by doing so he opens a transphobic dialogue!]

Imageitv

Naomi - "You put it on or I put it on?"

Imageitv

Jonathan Ross - "I thought you wanted me to put it on?"

[No he didn't he said this for this exact reaction.]

Imageitv

Disgusted - Naomi - "I don't want a cross-dresser husband or boyfriend! Absolutely not! Something is not right with you!!!"

See how quickly cross-dressing linked with sex-play then turns into mental illness - three lines (there is a joke there somewhere about 'lines' but it would be libelous) - and this from a Model who works in a 'high camp' atmosphere all the time.

Unfortunate exchange and again no transperson present. Swap JR for Eddie Izzard and this would have panned out very differently! As David Walliams found out when he mocked Eddie for not wear a dress enough these days.

Disappointing!

---

Ladyboys
27/10
Pick TV

The eye-opening documentary series returns to Thailand to take front row seats at the Miss International Queen pageant, the famous ladyboy beauty contest.

Comment

Interesting and worth watching.

However very triggering for those with gender dysphoria as they set the transbeauty bench-mark so high, this programme could lead to people trying to harm themselves.

This is a major issue that at first glance seems ridiculous as non-trans girls have contests like this. Yes but the girls have been brought up as females and are fertile females (those same women that maybe infertile get a similar trigger around children if they cannot conceive - maybe that kinda makes more sense?) and do not have to traverse the gender divide whatsoever.

So watch this when it is repeated, but with a caveat, that you may feel depressed if you do not pass well!

The term 'Ladyboy, whilst context specific of course as it is embraced in Thailand, is more often than not abusive in the UK!

Image pick

---

The Xtra Factor
27/10
ITV2 +1

X Factor companion show. Caroline Flack and Matt Richardson go behind the scenes after the main results show to find out what the judges and the contestants are thinking following the latest elimination. They chat to the departing act, welcome a panel of celebrity fans and take questions and comments from viewers via social media.

Comment

Someone brings in a Gary Barlow doll and jokes that hes not really a man because he doesn't have a penis.

Of course this issue was something I remember as a child looking at an 'action man' who had no penis either and thinking thats not fair! But in this instance, the joke is very different and the cackling women all around didn't help - pictured.

Imageitv

---

New - American Dad!
29/10
BBC THREE

6/18. The Scarlett Getter: Stan is distracted by the reappearance of his beautiful old college flame Scarlett. Contains adult humour. [S]

Comment

Steve wears Hayley underwear by accident late for the bus. This gag was done in Channel 4's 'Man Down' recently too see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3997. In that it lead to being beaten up. In this it is her 'lucky pants' and she needs them back and Stve will not return them.

Its a slightly better angle than the usual violent or transphobic outcomes.

But it is still dependent on cross-dressing for laughs! If they were his father's lucky socks for example? It just wouldn't get off the ground at all.

You see what I mean?!

Imagebbc

Imagebbc

---

Ross Noble - Freewheeling
29/10
Dave

Travel series in which Geordie comedian Ross Noble tours Britain on his beloved motorbike, shunning the usual tourist traps in favour of lesser-known destinations. Ross is ejected from a cafe by singer Mike Skinner, delivers a plastic hedge to Eddie Izzard and attends a ceramic dog show in Northamton. The Swindon Advertiser invites Ross to edit their newspaper.

Comment

Lovely to see Eddie habing a laugh about his gift from Ross. a bit of plastic hedge he bought as part of his twitter road trip LOL

They laugh on stage during his rehersals (1-2-1-2-2222), about what they could use if for...

A shield against Goats?

Imagedave.

Imagedave.

Imagedave.

They also laugh about early Eddie's performaces "Ohhhh....ahhhhhh....", and Ross mocks him and does an impersonation of this, they laugh, Eddie got Ross into twitter and now has created 'a monster!' His words.

Ross is as surreal as Eddie and you can see why they are firm friends - someone who now arrives at Eddie's rehearsals with a free hedge. Eddie was asked by Ross, "how much do you think it was," "oh a million pounds," he says. "This is the way to always spoil that game." "As the result is always more disappointing." Ross says over "hundred quid!" Eddie then says, "he would like to keep it but doesn't want to carry it - but takes it anyway."

Quite funny and of course no essence of transphobia :)

So a happy end to this whole mess again this month?! Not yet!

---

Grayson Perry: Nice Rebellion, Welcome In!
29/10
Radio 4

Part three of this art adventure with the UK's most well known crossdresser.

Comment

Very good programme!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/reith

---

Celebrity Juice - Halloween Special
31/10
ITV2

Paddy McGuinness, Emma Willis, Kara Tointon and Union J join Keith Lemon, Fearne Cotton and Holly Willoughby for a Halloween special of the outrageous comedy panel show.

Comment

Now this was interesting!

The rise and rise of Emma Willis, and to think it all began with our Transgender TV Award 2 years ago, ;)

Since then she has landed main presenter on Big Brother, a gig on ITV1 Flagship Daytime Show, 'This Morning'. And now landed 'The Voice' ousting Holly Willoughby as presenter! They were both on the same team - AWK~WARD!!!!

Maybe our awards for Emma had an effect - who knows? Its coincidence maybe? But you never know ;) Paris Landed Question Time off the Pink List, and probably other things to come. So these lists have an affect ;)

Joking aside. I was interested in how she would deal with Keith Lemon (Leigh Francis) as he is probably one of the most transphobic 'talents' out there, historically it has been a bloodbath for the transgender community with him. I can say that as the evidence is overwhelming!

But we know this now and its just like shouting into an empty cave. However Emma, historically is one of the best and most trans-suportive presenters on television!

You see what I mean - hmmmmmm???!!!!

There was a moment where I watched her, she was dressed in black, and was really quite serious on the show. This was perhaps more of a 'control'. As when he lined them up and does his usual transgender-related gag about Fearne Cotton having male genitals or, operations to be a man, or is a man...

I watched Emma and her face was like stone! Not even a smirk!

I think this is very telling! And she is very smart!!! All I can say is well done Emma you managed Celebrity Juice with a clean slate. She got involved and laughed along with the regular stuff of course. But I was only interested in one thing :)

Pressure!!!

Girl done good - top marks! See, Holly? Thats how you deal with it!

Imageitv

KL - this is the fittest girlband ever! Like the Corrs and they have this fellah (meaning Fearne).

If this was a one off it would be pretty throw-away, but he is relentless with this, and the gag started with a 'sex-change' and a surgeon calling in. So it is relevant. In any case he was doing this in is series 'Bo Selecta' and a 'Bear's Tale!' In that he played a transexual woman and Davina McCall played a Transsexual Man. I kid you not! This has been a lifelong deal. And its still going!

I just hope Emma stays away, as he could potentially wreck all her hard work.

---

Question Time
31/10
BBC ONE - (and Radio 5 Simulcast).

Full Review here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4024

---

New - American Dad!
31/10
BBC THREE

5/18. Virtual In-Stanity: Stan creates a blonde avatar and asks Steve to the school dance. Roger and Klaus open a limo service. Contains adult humour. [S]

Comment

Avatar body-swap plotline. However things get awkward when Stan realises he will have to kiss his somn or have sex from the CIA base where the avatr is crontrolled from . Kinda like Second Life really.

Transphobic? Not really.

But another trans-gender as opposed to transgender issue in this series, they seriously need to think of something that does not revolve around this.

Imagebbc

Their problem and that of Family Guy and South Park is , The Simpsons have already done it, and this was a plot for South Park - even a song. But as they said everything the Simpsons have done has been ripped off from popular culture and old sitcoms anyway! Just be careful what you copy I mean leave the Black and White Minstrels well alone! Sadly transpeople do not have the same luxury! Or respect.

---

And there we must leave it.

Almost didn't make it this month!!! Exhausting as it is!

- see you next time!
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “UK Monthly Transgender Television Log”