what Dr Bellringer has to say about the changes at CX

suzi2008uk

what Dr Bellringer has to say about the changes at CX

Postby suzi2008uk » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:48 pm

http://bellringers.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk ... index.html

Dear Ms. Griffith,

I am sending this to you by email, but am also publishing it on my website. If you reply, I shall also publish that reply, unless you specifically request that I do not, in which case I shall note on the site that you have replied, but do not wish the reply to be made public.

I read with interest the news on the ICHNT website published on 13.6.14 (http://www.imperial.nhs.uk/aboutus/news/news_044629). It states that you expect that when Tina Rashid starts to work normally in September, there will be no further need to use any private sector capacity. I believe this not to be true, as I think it is based on a couple of incorrect assumptions.

Firstly, it assumes that, while I was still working at Charing Cross, we were keeping pace with demand in gender. This is unequivocally not true. I believe we managed to do about 180 operations in 2013-4, but we received over 300 new referrals. The nature of gender surgery is that the vast majority of these referred patients will go on to GRS. So there was a shortfall in 2013-4 of over 100 cases. Had I stayed at Charing Cross, we might possibly have got to 220 operation in the current year. We are, however, on track to receive over 350 referrals. Although the projected number of operations would have increased, the gap between capacity and demand was due to widen yet further.

Secondly, it assumes that Tina will undertake the same volume of work as I did. Once again, I believe this to be incorrect. For the nine months before I left, the extra lists I was doing meant effectively that I was doing 4-5 lists per week. This is the equivalent of two surgeons from the point of view of in-patient work. It will not be fully replaced by the appointment of one new surgeon. The total list capacity between Tina and Phil Thomas from September onwards is 4 lists per week. In previous years, when Phil and I shared 4 lists per week, we were typically able to do 135 operations per year. I think I would be entirely correct to state that this is entirely inadequate to cope with demand. In fact, even if no further patients are referred, there are sufficient patients currently funded within the Charing Cross system to keep Tina and Phil fully occupied for the next 3 years.

Thirdly, it implies that the service was operating within acceptable limits before I left. It was not. There was an average 5 month wait for a clinic appointment, followed by an average 7 month wait thereafter for surgery. The dramatic reduction in capacity which has occurred since I left, (and which could have been completely mitigated if the private sector capacity had been used), has meant that both these times have now at least doubled. Given the continuing mismatch between demand and capacity, this will continue to spiral out of control.

So far, I have been writing about numbers. These are not, of course, just numbers. Each represents a patient who has made her way through a gender transition, under the supervision of a GIC. That achievement in itself is extraordinary. These patients' lives are basically “on hold” from the point when they are referred by a GIC to the time they get surgery. The delays currently imposed at that point are causing a huge amount of suffering to this patient group. I believe your current policy, and consequent management of gender surgery, to be horribly mistaken, and would urge you to make full use of the private capacity that exists without any further delay.

James Bellringer

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: what Dr Bellringer has to say about the changes at CX

Postby Ice Maiden » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:39 pm

This is worth reading if you are planning on surgery at CX we also will be debating this heavily on our Monday Show here http://media.transgenderzone.com! The Charing Cross issues have now reached quite a critical mass and when surgeons start bailing we have to ask what is behind their comments they are not telling us.
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

suzi2008uk

Postby suzi2008uk » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Yes it was good reading and like myself waiting for a referral for surgery from CX have no idea of whats going on and speaking to admin doesn't help but i will be keeping a good eye on all this and will add updates soon as i find out more.

Suzi

Susan Caroline Gray
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Susan Caroline Gray » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:22 pm

I truly and honestly, feel for all girls, desperate and waiting for your life saving surgery, I myself underwent a 10 month wait before my SRS back in 2012 I got lucky in that I was one of his last Vagioplasty ( SRS ) patents on the 4th June 2013 ....

The NHS Let Mr Bellringer Down to the point that he had NO OPTION But to leave....

Return to “Latest News”