Numbers of Surgeries and referrals at Charing Cross FOI

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Numbers of Surgeries and referrals at Charing Cross FOI

Postby Ice Maiden » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:21 pm

A freedom of Information request has revealed the state of play at Charing Cross Hospital in London in regard to GRS.

This is quite useful to know, but we kinda already knew and to be fair what can be done to improve matters other than what they are doing?

The request made by UKtrans revealed the following:

---

St Mary’s Hospital
South Wharf Road
London W2 1NY
020 3312 5585
foi@imperial.nhs.uk

27 August 2014

Our ref: FOI-414-2014

Dear Requestor

Information request:
I have carefully reviewed your request and investigated whether there is any information disclosable to you.

Please find below the information the Trust holds, which I am pleased to provide to you:

INFORMATION TO BE RELEASED

We are currently working to improve transparency for the trans community with regards to their NHS healthcare. To aid us with this, please can you answer the following questions under the Freedom of Information Act.

1) How many genital reassignment surgeries (GRS) such as vaginoplasty were completed by you in June 2014? Please break down your answer by surgeon.
Nine. Undertaken by Phil Thomas, jointly with Tina Rashid

2) How many patients who have been referred for GRS had their first pre-operative assessment with you in June 2014? Please break down your answer by surgeon.
Eight. Seen in clinic by Mr Thomas and Tina Rashid jointly

3) Please provide a list stating the waiting time from referral to treatment for each patient who had GRS with you in June 2014. If you are unable to comply with this request due to patient confidentiality then please provide the average waiting time of those patients.
The average waiting time was 50.4 weeks.

4) How many new referrals for GRS did you receive in June 2014?

5) As of the end of June 2014, how many patients are waiting for gender reassignment surgery with you?
Please break down your answer by patient gender and type of surgery, and also break your answer into the following categories:
a) Patients who have been approved for the operation and given a date;
There are 30 patients awaiting male to female treatment.
b) Patients who have been approved for the operation and are waiting for a date;
There are 53 patients awaiting male to female treatment.
c) Patients who have been put on hold as they are not yet fit for surgery (eg requiring weight loss, hair removal, etc);
Currently there are 30 patients on hold.
d) Patients who have not yet had their initial consultation with the consultant.
172 (of these 52 have been given a date for their appointment).
e) Any other patients (please explain)
No

6) How many patients who were waiting for GRS with you were transferred to another provider (such as Mr Bellringer at Parkside) in June 2014? Please break down your answer by provider.

7) How many patients left your waiting list (at any stage from referral onwards) in June 2014 without having surgery? If possible, please break down your answer by reason.
None.

8) How many GRS operations are planned to take place with you between 1st July 2014 and the end of the 2014/15 year? Please break down your answer by month. If you have not planned for the entire year yet then please provide planned figures for each month that has been planned.
July - 8
August - 2
September - 12
October - 12
November - 12
_________________________________________________________________________________

I trust that this deals with your enquiry to your satisfaction, but if you feel that Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust has misunderstood or not responded appropriately to your request, you have two courses of action:

You can clarify the terms of your original request to allow this to be looked at again (if you expand your request this will be dealt with as a new request)

All applicants have the right of appeal. An appeal should be focused on the original request and
should identify how the Trust’s response failed to answer your Information Request. Appeals must be made in writing to the FOI Manager at the address above.
After the Trust’s internal appeals procedure has been exhausted, a further appeal about the same information request can be directed to the Information Commissioner for adjudication. Appeals to the Information Commissioner should be sent for review to the following address:

The Information Commissioner,
Wycliffe House, Water Lane,
Wilmslow Cheshire
SK9 5AF
Telephone: 01625 545 700
Facsimile: 01625 545510
E-mail : mail@ico.gsi.gov.uk

Yours sincerely
Nicholas Loizou
FOI Manager | Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust |
Email: nicholas.loizou@imperial.nhs.uk |
Phone: 020 3312 5585 |
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Christine

Re: Numbers of Surgeries and referrals at Charing Cross FOI

Postby Christine » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:22 am

This is quite useful to know, but we kinda already knew and to be fair what can be done to improve matters other than what they are doing?
They could refer many more patients to Mr Bellringer and other private providers since they don't have the capacity at CX, but it seems that other than a token number of patients, they won't do so. It seems to me that they aren't doing nearly enough to combat the wholly unacceptable waiting times.

It is about time that patient needs were prioritised above the Trust's internal politics...

JENNYJET

Postby JENNYJET » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Why should 'they' refer more if those patients are simply not ready for what is essentially elective surgery, over and above more important emergency surgery?

The relevant surgical team that dealt with me did so splendidly even though 5 years hence I continue to endure post operative problems.

I had to wait because it was not essential in the big scheme that is NHS budget constraints. The additional waiting time, in hindsight was more valuable to me as I understand better what has since followed.

Life changing surgery is nothing to be rushed and it worries me deeply that there is 'pressure' to accelerate in some way the throughput regards to GRS!

Christine

Postby Christine » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:03 pm

You could say that about any non-emergency surgery.

I'm somewhat disappointed at the number of post-op women I see who seem to trivialise the situation of those following them. I'm not really surprised that people are increasingly disillusioned with the "trans community".

Casaluna

Postby Casaluna » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Last edited by Casaluna on Thu May 14, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Charing Cross Gender Identity Clinic”