Another NHS experience from Hades

Jane_D_C

Another NHS experience from Hades

Postby Jane_D_C » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Mr. Bellringer goes in to fix some vaginal granulation under anaesthetic. We had tried and failed without anaesthetic. He was his usual cheerful bantering self and put me at ease. So far as I know he did an excellent job of the surgery.

So I have no complaints of any kind about Mr B.

The caller who reminded me of the appointment and the anaesthetic nurse both misgendered me. The latter gave me one of those conspiratorial “it doesn’t really matter” looks as he apologised. Wrong. It is very humiliating. It’s not my fault I had to remove my wig and makeup. I was too helpless at the point of being anaesthetised to point all this out to him and make him realise that at Charing Cross Hospital of all places, misgendering jolly well matters.

This turned out to be a mere curtain raiser. After I awoke I was parked in the recovery room for well over an hour with no saline drip and no food or water to help purge the anaesthetic drugs from my system, as a headache slowly built up.

Eventually a space appeared in the day ward and I was transferred, given some sandwiches and told also to drink lots of water. This was a real struggle. I felt the absolute pits by now, was being made ill by bright lights, rather like in migraine, and my head was getting sorer by the minute. I was told that there was nothing they could do to reduce the light level. :sick:

The remedy suggested by the nurses after I threw up was to drink more water. This also came back, together with the rest of the sandwiches. In fact I was projectile vomiting, so I overfilled their vomit bowls and covered myself in the stuff.
The nurses were too busy scurrying around to notice me, and I was feeling too ill to shout for help. There were no call buttons.

I had heard stories of elderly people being left in their own mess in old folks’ homes but here it was happening to me in the UK’s leading gender hospital.

In desperation I phoned my partner, who was somewhere in the building, and asked her for help. She made a polite fuss and my bed was changed.

My health, however, did not improve. At 8 p.m. that night a decidedly stroppy nurse came in and peremptorily told me to get dressed and leave. This was a real struggle. I felt awful, and really had to force myself to do this. :sick: :-x

My partner told me that the charge nurse had in fact tried to get me admitted for an overnight stay, but there were no beds. Nobody had bothered to tell me this. If they had it would at least have been clear that they realised that I had a problem and were doing their best to deal with it.

As it was I left feeling more than slightly neglected.

It took a further day for the effects of the anaesthetic to wear off enough that I could travel. We had to buy an extra night for two in the B&B and we had to re-book coach tickets home.

Jane x.
Proud to be feminine

E-mail: jane@transgenderzone.com

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Christine

Re: Another NHS experience from Hades

Postby Christine » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Part of me has felt slightly reluctant to go through with surgery (assuming it's ever offered) because I'm scared of being anaesthetised; reading experiences of this sort of anti-care doesn't really make me feel encouraged. That is really unbelievably dreadful treatment you received there, so bad that it should be criminal.

hxlady

Postby hxlady » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Few comments:

First off I'd send a Formal Complaint to hospital chief executive pointing out:

1,the errors in wrong gendering and attitude of aneasthetist nurse,

2,the wrongness in giving you food after anaesthetic as of course it makes a person throw up and what you should have is nothing but plain water and best of all some fruit pastilles to suck to trickle some sugar into your system and get your taste buds working and your stomach settled,

regarding the being told to get up and go I can understand that as I got up and went just 4 hours after my last two corrective surgeries.

When I was cisgendered a few years ago and complained the matron made the nurse phone and apologise but there was no apology in her voice.

We pay good money to have nice treatment in the NHS and if we don't complain they won't learn.

Jane_D_C

Postby Jane_D_C » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:19 pm

I hope my little experience does not put anyone completely off surgery.

Bad reactions to anaesthetics are part of the risk, no doubt about it. Why did I not react to the same anaesthetic cocktail after my vaginoplasty? Perhaps because I was too high on morphine to notice. On that occasion I was – like everyone – given a button to give myself a shot of morphine every time I felt pain. They took it away after two days, actually at my request, because I was concerned it could cause constipation at a bad time. Let me tell you – that stuff really deals with pain.

After the vaginoplasty, you are put in a proper ward with a call button by your bed. I don’t think they remove the drip feed prematurely, so you should not get dehydrated.

Therefore I think the risk of a bad reaction is much less.

Don’t get me wrong, I was very anxious before my surgery about how much discomfort I would get. While for the most part I get annoyed by people telling me how “brave” I have been to transition, it did take courage to go to the hospital for my GRS and not do a runner the night before the operation.

I had the vaginoplasty and I don’t regret it. It was worth the hassle.

Jane x.
Proud to be feminine

E-mail: jane@transgenderzone.com

Casaluna

Postby Casaluna » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:41 am

Last edited by Casaluna on Wed May 13, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Charing Cross Gender Identity Clinic”