Trans Comedy Award

News and information about the trans art world.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Trans Comedy Award

Postby Ice Maiden » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Got a comedy script in you? Sick of seeing it done so badly on telly? Now this is your chance to send a script in of your own, you have until Feb 2013 to write 30 mins of material out. Why not give it a go - there is ÂŁ5 grand in it for the winner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/about/ ... conditions
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Trans Comedy Award

Postby Ice Maiden » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 pm

One downside:

Just a note to say that for any transperson valuing their trans-currency and who would rather be a stealthy person then this maybe a bit of a hurdle that the BBC have not really thought about.

"15. The names of the selected entrants and any entrant whose entry is broadcast or used on-line will be made public. Entrants must agree to take part in any post-scheme publicity if required."

I have never seen Charles Dickens on BBC Breakfast but that does not stop them using his great work.

The fact they want to use the writer of a potentially fantastic script, and then show them off like some prize at a raffle seems to be unwise. It will put people off. Why can they not just have a tick this box for publicity option? This to me demonstrates almost immediately they have not got a clue what they are doing, and will just get already public people applying - naive. Ask me I would have told them.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3317 Even a guess like this demonstrates that the vast majority of transpeople out there will now immediately be unable to take part. Idiots.

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

claire62

Postby claire62 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi All,

I have just joined. My name is Claire Parker. I am trans (and a stand up comedian) and one of the 3 people behind the Trans Comedy Award and we have lots of background information on our website and lots to come. We also have a blog and a forum where we will encourage writers to share and ask questions.

We have spent a lot of time setting this up with the BBC as well as being supported by our partners at Trans Media Watch and On Road Media.

Getting the representation of trans people is critical for us as well as making a start of demonstrably taking back ownership of our identity from the media.

I am passionate about diversity and truly believe that to make a change you have to be part of the process.

My thanks to Ice Maiden for a valid question.
Yes of course being stealth is important and the Ts & Cs are standard ones from the BBC and we/they reserve the right to change these if need be.

What you say has already been discussed and we are working with the BBC to discuss the best way of handling this. We need to reward and encourage writers (trans or not) in a sensitive way.

If you have any questions we would welcome them in our forum and would appreciate suggestions for topics.

Kind Regards

Claire Parker
@TcomedyAward
@ItsClaireParker
http://www.facebook.com/TransComedyAward

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Here is my view straight from FaceBook.

I have had another look and been speaking to others about this, I feel there are 2 key issues the BBC must take into account.

They MUST cast transpeople in the lead as no matter how good the script is it will come across as transphobic, only trans can mock trans and get away with it(!) see this link below, we don't want this to happen http://www.glaad.org/blog/why-abcs-new- ... -community http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_It_%28TV_series%29. And it will if they do not cast trans people for the trans roles - that's it - end of story!

If they are trans then we have to make a lot of space to allow them to self-mock.

The second is they should have a 'no writer publicity' option. Else this is tantamount to kidnapping with a ransom of 5 grand.

Example lets say I or someone else writes a gem, they win, and the writer says, "great I'll be off now and develop this..." "No! They say, "you have to go onto a plethora of BBC TV programmes to prove to the world we ARE DOING SOMETHING FOR YOUR COMMUNITY!" "But I do not want to go onto your TV shows I am a writer, I want a nom de plume and leave me alone to write more." BBC replies, "scr*w you then this piece of 'brilliance' can be binned for the next 'Chump' who will do our bidding!"

The only people who will really complain are the people here, as long as we know the writers then who cares?

I have rarely seen the writer of comedies on Television like this, only much later in life did the Father Ted Creators pop up on panel shows.

This really bother's me. I would like to ask TMW or whoever helped create this opportunity if the BBC have taken this issue into account?

As all it looks like to me is a way to parade about some trans trophy for a one of proof of tokenism. Just remember until his death just how often did you see John Sullivan on television (the creator of Only Fools...). I cannot remember ever seeing him apart from once when there was a programme about the making of it many years later and he even sang the intro song.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:11 pm

I have tweeted you Claire and think that what I have said above is essential!

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “Literature, Music, Dramatic Arts and Exhibitions”