What are you reading?

News and information about the trans art world.
AbracaDebra

What are you reading?

Postby AbracaDebra » Sat May 14, 2011 8:39 am

I have just finished reading:

The Long Walk (1956) by Slawomir Rawicz. It tells the story of a group of people who escaped from a north Siberian Gulag in 1941 to freedom in India.

I found it an interesting read, partly because I like stories of survival. It has been made into a film which I will probably not watch as films are 'usually' a let down compared to reading per se.

I have however also just read this note about the story, which on the face of it makes total sense because I started to struggle with the feats thay acheived in walking thousands of miles in sub zero temperatures with food and water.

Extract from IMDB:

Rawicz's account has been seriously challenged. Historical records detailing his imprisonment and release contradict the book's storyline. For example, Polish Army records show that Rawicz left the USSR directly for Iran in 1942, and his arrival in Palestine (not India) is verified by the records. Multiple reviews of the book also argue that the book is a fraud and that many alleged incidents in the book are, in fact, physically impossible. In 2009, another former prisoner, Witold Glinski, claimed that Rawicz's book was about his (Glinski's) escape. An interview with Witold Glinski can be found here. Glinski's tale has also been challenged. A fellow Polish emigre, Leszek Gliniecki, claims that in 1940 and 1941 he and Glinski actually were students together in Archangelsk in northwestern Russia.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

AbracaDebra

Re: What are you reading?

Postby AbracaDebra » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:29 pm

Now I am confused. I started this in the literature section a few weeks ago because there wasn't one. :?
Doesn't anybody read anything? :lol:

Ace-Lance
TZVSG Skype Regular
TZVSG Skype Regular

Postby Ace-Lance » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:39 am

I read a lot. especially thanks to having a kindle App on My phone.
Right now Reading Blue Black Blade, not very far into it had to put it on hold. but its fantasy novel. which is what i tend to read. but i like to try new Series and books all the time. Got any Suggestions?
"If you Stand for Nothing, You will fall For anything"
"a Sound soul, Dwells within a Sound body, and a Sound mind."

Lairiana

Postby Lairiana » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:47 am

Lancewolf3 wrote:I read a lot. especially thanks to having a kindle App on My phone.
Right now Reading Blue Black Blade, not very far into it had to put it on hold. but its fantasy novel. which is what i tend to read. but i like to try new Series and books all the time. Got any Suggestions?

Black Blade Blues (I assume that's the one you mean) is one of the best fantasy books I've read this year.
"Fish are not the best authority on water" - Jane Yolen; Sister Light, Sister Dark

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 am

Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “Literature, Music, Dramatic Arts and Exhibitions”