What are you reading?

News and information about the trans art world.
Cassie
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Cassie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:48 pm

With my style of re-reading a sentence until I see what the writer is fully getting at, this can take considerable time.

- I have exactly that problem too! People keep saying I should just skim read, but then I miss great chunks and lose my way. I freely admit to only finishing about 50% of the books I start through getting bored or lost. That said I will grab Focault's Pendulum and have another go.

I've just started Josephine Tey - The daughter of Time. It's another mediaeval murder mystery.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

JENNYJET

Postby JENNYJET » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:03 pm

During my Law studies, I was taught the art of speed reading ( skimming ) as this is a required skill for practising lawyers ( to which activity I partake not!! ). This allows one to seek out 'key words' that actually matter and not the fluff and flim flam that often comes with statements of opinion.

I thoroughly recommend a book called 'The Republic' written by a chap of the name Plato. It is one the clearest examples of logic and clear thinking and has laid down the foundations of what our civilisation lives by in the free world today.

However, my current reading is 'Blackstones' Criminal Practice 2006 as I am working upon a legal conundrum for good friend that is being messed about by the police.

Lairiana

Postby Lairiana » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:46 pm

I think reading is subjective. I found that I could unwaste a lot of time by reading. I get the bus to and from work, and I have an hour lunch break. That's two hours productive reading for me, and that's not counting reading at home in bed or upon the throne.

Some books take longer to read than others, too. It might be the size that demoralises you (I get through physically smaller books quicker), or something else. I managed about 120 pages of a book today just using my lunch and the bus home (I was reading another book on the way there, but I didn't particularly feel like reading it). The book which came before, which is the same size bar two pages, I read in two days (Admittedly I read more than I normally would last night).

It doesn't matter how quick you read, as long as you're comfortable at that speed and pace. With my new-found addiction to buying books, I need to read faster and faster, and that's what I'm doing. Since the start of June I've practically read and finished three books, got 120+ pages into another and read a 220 page graphic novel. I would never have dreamt of reading this fast, and I can only do so because I use a few hours of my time more effectively than I otherwise would.
"Fish are not the best authority on water" - Jane Yolen; Sister Light, Sister Dark

AbracaDebra

Postby AbracaDebra » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Well

I've really pushed the boat into the storm now. I've gone and bought a copy of the Koran. As a practicing Christian you may think that strange. However, I have heard so many conflicting comments about it over the last 20 years I think it deserves my judgement. :D

Hugs,
Debbie

Return to “Literature, Music, Dramatic Arts and Exhibitions”