Make-up tips - Time for skin preparation!

A board for discussions on clothes, shoes make-up FTM male grooming, hair and fashion.
jenni2604

Make-up tips - Time for skin preparation!

Postby jenni2604 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Hello all, :-)
Well it looks like all the beauty questions have been answered and no one needs any direct tips from me right now. SOOOOOOO, I thought I would start placing a few beauty notes on the site which may help spark some queries or you can just glance at as and when for reference. Hope you don’t mind that I am just going to jump straight in and start the ball rolling! PLEASE ask any questions and they do not have to relate to the tips I’m writing about today. If there is a specific topic that you would like me to cover, then just let me know.

As always, as much as I want to go straight onto the subject of cosmetic products (which I LOVE LOVE LOVE) and make-up application (which I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE) I have to restrain myself and talk about the prepping side girls, cleanse, tone, treatment (if required), moisturise. The MOST important phase of all which tends to bore people, but as with ANYTHING in life there needs to be a good foundation base to build upon! This routine is essential if for achieving a smooth, dry free, oil control base and of course protection and nourishment across the board!

Everyone has their own techniques, ideals and preferences, which is what makes us all unique. I am not here to force anything upon you and neither do I benefit from any products I discuss on this blog as I am freelance. I am just happy to have an opportunity to impart my knowledge and expertise to anyone who wants to listen.
In regards to the product information WE share with each other- NO ONE will ever be able to guarantee that even the most gentle and natural of cosmetic products will not cause a skin reaction - if they do..be very wary as it usually involves a commission sale!

Skin reactions occur for many different reasons which can include intolerance to an ingredient, climate conditions, over stimulation, medication, illness, food allergies, hereditary implications, skin conditions etc etc, the list is endless. We are all unique, as I stated above, so what may be fantastic for most, may not be suitable for others. It’s often based on trial and error unless you are aware of the additives/ingredients that affect you the most. My advice, always be cautious and try before you buy on an area that can be concealed should a reaction occur, such as the forearm or behind the ear. Be safe not sorry x

More than anything, it would please me no end, if you are able to take even a smidgen of information from this blog and share the results with us all! Sincere hugs to everyone xx

Without further adooooo :crazy: , because I could write a dialogue for Britain, I will jump right to the cleansing procedure:

HYGIENE:
FIRST AND FOREMOST. It goes without saying that hygiene is essential prior to any routine to prevent cross infection EVEN if it is just you who uses the products/applicators.

Try to remember these points:

Clean, sanitary hands when applying products.
Brushes (if used) – Need to be cleaned at the very least once a week girls! Ideally after each use if possible but we live in the real world and if it’s just you using the brushes and they are stored carefully, then once a week with a thorough wash is fine! You can use a mild baby shampoo and conditional for natural fibre brushes swishing the brush from side to side (never scrub), and dry flat.

Sponge applicators whether used for foundation or powder – You should wash these regularly in soapy water/ antibacterial products or change them frequently. They are a breeding ground for bacteria as many wet them before use (dependent on the product) to apply foundation and leave them to dry in the make-up bag or compact holder until next used. BAD BAD BAD! I hold my hands up and have done this a few times when in a rush, I’m human! But always try to remember to clean it thoroughly (not just wet it) before it is used again. For powder puffs or sponges, even when not used wet, please try to wash or change them regularly if you can.

Clean make-up bag! I'm a B*gger for this with my personal cosmetic bag and tend to put it off until I have to clean it! The truth is if the make-up bag is smudged with crème concealers, a little foundation, lipstick, crème pencils or powder, it will harbour the bacteria. Regardless of how clean your applicators are when placed back into your bag, they will end up getting contaminated again. Such a waste of hard work girls! Try to use a make-up bag that is PVC rather than material as they are far easier to clean and wipe through. You can also see what you are grabbing as you delve deep into the bag

Old and unused make-up[/b] – A spring clean for your make-up bag! – You know exactly what I am referring too! Your favourite mascara that has dried out yet your convinced it still has some life left in it if you wet the brush (using water or your saliva –i’m not daft!) and dip it in! The crème blusher that was a hand me down and that you just can’t bring yourself to let go off just in case you need to use that specific discontinued colour to co-ordinate with your outfit – one day!. The 8th foundation in your collection that you bought years ago and didn’t get around to using because it was far too dark or completely the wrong colour for your complexion; you will keep it just in case! That gorgeous shade of eye shadow that has lost the container lid, is shedding like mad ruining your make-up bag, and is years old...but it’s your favourite shade...The hundreds of lipsticks that bulk out your bag and you will never wear but keep for that special occasion... I have been there and done it too! But time for change, a good rummage and a clear out! For products that haven’t passed their sell by date (yes cosmetics have them too and not just food) but you will never use (you have to be honest and ruthless about this) hand it to your friends. Do a makeup swap session or even set up a blog on here if permitted to run a makeup swap blog session and utilise products rather than binning them. It’s worth a go, but before you do, check out the life span of cosmetic products below to give you an idea of what’s worth saving, swapping and unfortunately, no matter how hard...ditching!

When you buy new unopened cosmetic products increase their longevity by storing them away from direct sunlight in a cool, dry area and tighten those lids!

As with everything this is recommendation only.

Mascara – 3 months ( I know it hurts to hear this!)
Shadows-Liquid shadows 12 months/powders up to 2 years
Lipsticks -2 years
Blushers/powders-creme discard after 1 year/powder up to 2 years
Pencils-2 years
Foundations/concealers-liquid concealer and oil free foundations tend to dry out quickly so it is recommended up to 1 year. For stick concealers and moisturising foundations up to 18 months.
Pencils-Up to 2 years and try to sharpen after each use

HOPE THIS HAS HELPED. NOW ONTO SKIN PREPARATION!

SKIN PREPARATION:
It is so important to make time within your make-up routine to cleanse, tone and moisturise with the correct products for your type of skin. Using the wrong products will irritate the skin and cause problematic breakouts. Dry flaky skin cannot be covered over with a moisturising foundation and neither will you control oily skin just by using an oil free product. The skin preparation stage is essential for you to ensure your make-up looks flawless, fresh and has longevity. It’s not just the products alone that will help to achieve this. It’s also ensures that you have a healthy natural complexion on those days where make-up is not worn or needed.

Find out what skin type you are before choosing your products for the prep routine; normal, oily, dry, combination or sensitive. If you want me to discuss these skin types in detail on a follow up blog just let me know. But right now I will concentrate on the prep routine and highlight the products I use on myself and my clients:

Cleanse: Refreshes the skin removes excess oil, impurities, dead skin cells and make-up, promoting good hygiene, youthful looking skin and a good base for make-up application. Dependent on your time limitations there are many ways to cleanse your skin. Water soluble products, such as facial washes and cream which can be removed just with water or a damp cotton pad or even a cleansing mit (In my kit I use Kheils and Dermalogica produts). Facial wipes for quickness and ease, great for one stop job as they gently cleanse, exfoliate, tone as they remove your make-up and even waterproof mascara (In my kit I have ‘simple’ facial wipe clothes) Cleansing bars and water – Lots of people still prefer a traditional method of cleansing and now you can get your hands on products that contain no harsh ingredients, hardeners or dyes and are glycerine based (try Neutrogena cleansing bar is a good one to try) Remember to select a skin specific cleanser oil free cleanser for oily skin; mild or cream cleanser for dry skin types; mild, gently wash if combination skin (nothing too aggressive as it stimulates the oil production and dry’s out your skin) a sensitive cleansing bar or mild cleanser specifically marketed for sensitive skin.

Tone: Refreshes the skin , removing the last traces of make-up and cleansing residue and returns the skin pH balance back to normal helping to increase the absorption of the moisturising product that follows. There are toners that you can purchase that are specifically designed to benefit your skin condition. For example if you skin is oily some toners will contain ethanol to help control the oil secretions. Alternatively, you can choose to use. Alternatively try a natural product by making a toner at home! Just infuse fresh mint leaves in hot water and leave to cool. This acts and a cleanser and toner in one!

Moisturize: SOOOOOOOOOOO essential. Provides a protective barrier to stop water from evaporating and drying out your face. When your skin is exposed to water it actually dries your skin as it evaporates...weird I know! When you apply a good moisturiser it helps to seal in this moisture and can often have ingredients within it to attract water throughout the day! These ingredients are classed as HUMECTANTS ( not to say your face will become saturated!) Look for a product that contain glycerine or emollients like silicone oils – or just look on the package and it will let you know if it contains humectants and you know you are onto a winner! If your face is really dry look for an ingredient like petroleum or an oil to keep the moisture from evaporating further.

We all know that you can also obtain eye creams to help protect, repair and hydrate the delicate eye area. In addition they also help to minimise puffiness and dark circles. In addition there are treatment serums that can be applied before your moisturiser, that contain specific nutrients which sink deeper into the layer of your skin. The moisturiser would then be applied acting as your barrier and preventing moisture from evaporating from your skin.

Once a week you may also want to exfoliate your face to remove excessive dead skin cells and oils, but try not to do this too often. Just remember as nice and as soft as your skin feels after exfoliating, the skin produces those products for good reasons. It is good to add this to your regime but it is not something that needs to be carried out every day: Oil is produced by your skin to guard your cells again dehydration – Dead skins cells help to form a barrier from aggressive pollutants. Nature working at its best!

Well I hope this has helped and you are not too board! If you want me to keep adding to this blog then please let me know. It will be harder to keep going if I feel that no one is really interested and it would be lovely to have some encouragement to continue and to know I am on the right track. :thumbup:

Please let me know what content you would like me to put in the next blog and if you wish for me to elaborate on skin types or just dive straight into the next stage of primers and foundation! [yesss]

Please note: I will try my best to be as accurate as I can about all the subjects covered on my blog, but I not pretend to be an expert on ALL the notes covered. I qualified as a Make-up Artist and want nothing more than to share knowledge that I have gained from many many many (44!) years of personal experience with make-up techniques and products and what I have studied at colleges and most recently, a London academy. I really hope I can be of help to you all at some point.

Hope to hear back from at least one member :shrugs:

:wave: XX JEN XX :wave:

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

WeWantWaffles

oh em gee

Postby WeWantWaffles » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:36 pm

This is so neat! xD

An eloquent post like this encourages me to put a little more effort into hygiene and grooming ^_^ Thanks so much for the thorough overview! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to shower and do some SERIOUS MAKING UPPING! (I'll be careful not to repeat the strawberry shampoo incident in the process..)

(>^-^)>
- Sarah
And at the end of it all, I just want them to say; "Oh, that Sarah. She was a pretty awesome chick."

jenni2604

Re: oh em gee

Postby jenni2604 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:02 pm

This is so neat! xD

An eloquent post like this encourages me to put a little more effort into hygiene and grooming ^_^ Thanks so much for the thorough overview! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to shower and do some SERIOUS MAKING UPPING! (I'll be careful not to repeat the strawberry shampoo incident in the process..)

(>^-^)>
Hi Sarah, thanks so much for your reply and hope it helped. As for the strawberry shampoo incident, you will have to tell me more! :o
Hope your having a lovely day. Take care and stay tuned for more! Not hygiene and cleansing you'll be thankful to know :makeupx: X

WeWantWaffles

Re: Make-up tips - Time for skin preparation!

Postby WeWantWaffles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:31 pm

- Sarah
And at the end of it all, I just want them to say; "Oh, that Sarah. She was a pretty awesome chick."

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Make-up tips - Time for skin preparation!

Postby Ice Maiden » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Yeah useful tips - something I will read and remember - this is such an important part in passing as a woman for many yet so many have no idea really and tend to go too far or make a mess. We rarely think about the health implications of outdated products I have 10 yearold products LOL :lol: :lolno:
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “Female Fashion, Beauty and Male Groomingâ€