Make-up tips - Time for skin preparation!

A board for discussions on clothes, shoes make-up FTM male grooming, hair and fashion.
lucipherphill

Re: Make-up tips - Time for skin preparation!

Postby lucipherphill » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 am

Nice information imparted about Make-up tips for skin preparation. This are really cools tips of keeping the skin bright and glowing. I want to add to some tips too,avoid the ultra-violet rays from and hot-water bath.Which result tanning of the skin.
Last edited by lucipherphill on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Try out some designable robe pas cher outfit.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

WeWantWaffles

Hurts to Remove Makeup / Shave

Postby WeWantWaffles » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:12 pm

I wanted to ask you this earlier, but I'm not sure if you know anything about this topic. I could try to google it myself, but since you're so experienced, you may know a few things. This isn't a very transgirl specific thing because men have issues with shaving too, but the makeup part doesn't help. So here goes:

When I dress up, I use foundation or BB Cream like many of us do. I prefer the cream but that doesn't really matter right now xD Before applying any of these things, I of course try to have a close shave and try to avoid shaving against the growth, though occasionally (once in a long time) if I wanna make a picture of myself then I feel like I have to shave upward in order to look okayish. Anyway, I'll try to get to the point with this:

After shaving, it tends to hurt a bit. Not right away, but give it an hour or two and my face will be pretty hot. Touching the shortly-cut facial hair is definitely a bad idea as well. It's not too bad and I can live with that if I'm not dressing up or anything, but it -really- sucks when I have to remove makeup, because then I go all over my face with cotton which 1) tears at the remaining hair, and 2) just plain hurts no matter how gentle I am. I don't really know how to avoid that pain, and I'm generally pretty careful. I'll give a li'l more info so you know what happens:

- I moisten my face with hot water to open up the pores. Maybe I need to do it longer?
- I use a shaving cream of course, or gel. Prefer the fluffy cream.
- I wait 3 to 4 days to shave again. Not sure if doing it more often is better
- I use rather fresh razor blades usually, and don't go more than 3 shaves for one
- I almost always avoid shaving against the hair growth, because that is bad for the skin
- I don't press the blade against my skin very hard
- I try to stretch the skin a bit by pulling the silliest faces imaginable ^_^
- After shaving I apply aftershave balm & afterwards I use cold water
- Then I play videogames or read, or rant at people on the phone
- And then it starts to feel hot after a bit, and kind of hurts

As for make-up.. The reason why it hurts so much more when removing makeup is because the short hair sort of seems to keep the foundation or BB cream stuck on my face, while women w/o beards would only need to worry about removing makeup from bare skin. It doesn't matter how short I try to shave, since facial hair will always be around, and my skin will never be perfectly smooth. It'll always be sort of greyish too. I wish I knew how to camouflage it better in general to be honest, because it makes me feel terrible >.< ..

I believe that's about everything. Perhaps I need a different type of razorblade (I use 3 blades, and 4 has cut my skin plenty before). I'm also low on money since I want to get permanent hair removal sometime within the year, which means I don't get to buy one of those shaving brushes, but if those end up failing then it's a very expensive waste too.

Should add that I use primer, and I find that to be impossible to wash off. Don't have much of it though, and it's so expensive that I just can't get myself to dress up more. This post is getting a bit unorganized though so I'll end it here.

Thanks for reading :)
- Sarah
And at the end of it all, I just want them to say; "Oh, that Sarah. She was a pretty awesome chick."

jenni2604

Re: Make-up tips - Time for skin preparation!

Postby jenni2604 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Nice information imparted about Make-up tips for skin preparation. This are really cools tips of keeping the skin bright and glowing. I want to add to some tips too,avoid the ultra-violet rays from and hot-water bath.Which result tanning of the skin.
Thank you so much luciperphill for your tips and yes, very very true. Sorry I didn't mention this sooner but have been away in London.

Exposure to UVA and UVB rays can have a profound effect on our skin. From premature ageing to sunburn.The most shocking factor of all is that these rays can even penetrate our skin on those cloudy overcast days!

The good thing is, the beauty industry have become very wise to this and consequently, the market is flooded with products containing Sun Protection Factors (SPF) of many strengths that work with your climate and compliment your skin condition and tones. Specific sun creams, primers, moisturisers, tints, foundations and even powders to name a few are widely available to help you to combat the harsh effects of the UV rays.

As luciperphill kindly suggests, think about these aspects when considering your skin care preparation and you can't go wrong. The higher the number factor the better! If your highly sensitive to sunscreen products, try the Skin Ceuticals range.

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment it is very much appreciated.

Take care Jen xXx

jenni2604

Re: Hurts to Remove Makeup / Shave

Postby jenni2604 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:55 am

I wanted to ask you this earlier, but I'm not sure if you know anything about this topic. I could try to google it myself, but since you're so experienced, you may know a few things. This isn't a very transgirl specific thing because men have issues with shaving too, but the makeup part doesn't help. So here goes:

When I dress up, I use foundation or BB Cream like many of us do. I prefer the cream but that doesn't really matter right now xD Before applying any of these things, I of course try to have a close shave and try to avoid shaving against the growth, though occasionally (once in a long time) if I wanna make a picture of myself then I feel like I have to shave upward in order to look okayish. Anyway, I'll try to get to the point with this:

After shaving, it tends to hurt a bit. Not right away, but give it an hour or two and my face will be pretty hot. Touching the shortly-cut facial hair is definitely a bad idea as well. It's not too bad and I can live with that if I'm not dressing up or anything, but it -really- sucks when I have to remove makeup, because then I go all over my face with cotton which 1) tears at the remaining hair, and 2) just plain hurts no matter how gentle I am. I don't really know how to avoid that pain, and I'm generally pretty careful. I'll give a li'l more info so you know what happens:

- I moisten my face with hot water to open up the pores. Maybe I need to do it longer?
- I use a shaving cream of course, or gel. Prefer the fluffy cream.
- I wait 3 to 4 days to shave again. Not sure if doing it more often is better
- I use rather fresh razor blades usually, and don't go more than 3 shaves for one
- I almost always avoid shaving against the hair growth, because that is bad for the skin
- I don't press the blade against my skin very hard
- I try to stretch the skin a bit by pulling the silliest faces imaginable ^_^
- After shaving I apply aftershave balm & afterwards I use cold water
- Then I play videogames or read, or rant at people on the phone
- And then it starts to feel hot after a bit, and kind of hurts

As for make-up.. The reason why it hurts so much more when removing makeup is because the short hair sort of seems to keep the foundation or BB cream stuck on my face, while women w/o beards would only need to worry about removing makeup from bare skin. It doesn't matter how short I try to shave, since facial hair will always be around, and my skin will never be perfectly smooth. It'll always be sort of greyish too. I wish I knew how to camouflage it better in general to be honest, because it makes me feel terrible >.< ..

I believe that's about everything. Perhaps I need a different type of razorblade (I use 3 blades, and 4 has cut my skin plenty before). I'm also low on money since I want to get permanent hair removal sometime within the year, which means I don't get to buy one of those shaving brushes, but if those end up failing then it's a very expensive waste too.

Should add that I use primer, and I find that to be impossible to wash off. Don't have much of it though, and it's so expensive that I just can't get myself to dress up more. This post is getting a bit unorganized though so I'll end it here.

Thanks for reading :)
Hi Sarah,

All I want to say initially is wow girl, you have been so very open and honest in your description and I thank you so much for sharing that with me and everyone else who reads the blog. Definitely no need to thank me for reading it, as it was my pleasure.

Firstly, I'm by no means an expert in this field, I know my stuff but its still very much a learning curve for me. It will always be a learning curve. I'm not a trained dermatologist and neither do I hold such expertise. (not that clever I am afraid!) However I do have a genuine interest in the biological functions of skin conditions and not just from the topical sense. I can share with you what I know and hope it works, but will never pretend to be more than what I am. I'm just me:shrugs:

By posing these questions, you are helping me considerably, as it gives me a clearer picture of what the real life difficulties are. It may seem as if my blogs paint the perfect picture, but without input, its as far as I can go. So thank you so much for posting this Sarah (I sincerely mean that) as your helping others with similar queries too. Now less of my waffle and on with the query!

You advise that you wet your face with warm water before shaving. Due to the sensitivity still experienced after a shave I would strongly advice that if possible, you shave at the very least 5 minutes after entering a shower or bath to allow the heat to penetrate into the hair shafts. The heat will cause the skin to swell causing the hair follicles to lift, giving easy access to the hair. The heat will also soften the hair and in turn this will become less sharp and rigid allowing more flexibility as the blade passes over the hair shaft.

If a shower is not practical, then soak a flannel in hot water and ring out the excess. Place the flannel over your face and leave for at least 2 minutes to allow the heat to penetrate your skin until it become flush in colour. Then you can apply a *pre-shave* and your preferred cream or gel and start to shave. I know this method is quite time consuming and on some days it will not be practical, but when you do have the time, even if having to shave the night before, try to apply this process..

* From your description I could see that a pre-shave oil or lotion had not been applied. In most cases I know that the shaving cream/foam have ingredients that also act as a pre shave substitute. However, as you still suffer from shaving discomfort it will be worth adding this into your routine.

The pre-shave lotion is applied prior to your preferred shaving cream, lotion or gel and is not removed. For an economical pre-shave lotion use oils. Just purchase a small plastic spray bottle from boots or elsewhere and mix up a few drops of olive oil and almond oil to create a pre-shave oil. The olive oil tends to be heavy but can be used alone if used sparingly; Best to use a mixture though to help thin its consistency. You can also add other oils like grapeseed oil if required but no need to add glycerine as it will probably be the main ingredient within your lather cream. It’s worth giving this a shot Sarah!

Next is shaving. Try shaving with a single blade razor which is less likely to cause irritation to your skin. For the most part, the more blades the quicker, cleaner and closer shave which suits most skin types but not all. With multiple blades you are cutting the hair beneath the surface of the skin follicle which can result in in-growing hairs and higher risk of skin irritation. Whilst a single based blade is less aggressive. Try it and see if this step helps.

I know you have your preferred shaving cream but these alternatives are worth mention as they are the preferred option of many male models. Firstly is Kiehls, 'close shavers sqaudron with Aloe' – (goggle fogger formula ) It is not scented as most of the Keihls products and is suitable for the most sensitive skin to the most oily skin. It’s not cheap but will last a while. Just dampen your face in warm water with the method suggested above and apply it. There is no need to add water to the cream as it has a thick cream consistency so does not lather. You then blend the excess into the skin after the shave and apply your toner and moisturiser for maximum results.

The next is ‘complete shave by terax’ which contains menthol, mannitol, horse chestnut, and caffeine to help decrease skin sensitivity promoting a smooth, irritant free shave.

I have both of these products in my kit, and I will be happy to send you a small sample of both formulas, so you can try before you buy. Just email me your address and I will post a small pot out to you which should be enough for one shave. I will also post out a plastic spray bottle as I have one spare. This will be ideal for your pre shave product if you chose to try it.

As you already tone your skin with cold water to help closer the pores and apply and balm as your moisturiser, then those elements of skin care are catered for. I don’t think anything needs to change there. If you want to try some other moisturisers as an alternative option then let me know as I can suggest a few for you. Other than that I feel you already had a great cleansing and shaving routine. I just hope I have been able to give you a few alternative options to try and see if this improves you’re after shave discomfort.

In regards to cleansing, I would suggest ditching the cotton wool an opting for damp (dampened with your cleanser) lint free wipes which won’t tear into shreds when passing over your hair growth. I used cotton wool once on a male model prior to the make-up and spend what seemed like hours just picking off the shreds that gripped to each minute hair!. Nightmare! Always use lint free pads now as I have learnt the hard way!

There are a few alternatives to cleansing via lotions or creams and that is to cleanse with a water soluble solution; one that is suitable for removing make-up thoroughly but does not strip the skin of its natural moisture. Again, if I refer to my kit, I have a product called ‘fresh soy face cleanser’. This is suitable for cleansing the eyes too and effectively removes mascara. Very gentle product that will be far less irritating that your general cleansing lotions; gain, I am happy to send you a small sample Sarah.

If you want advice on covering any shadows just let me know. I have added a blog on the web site referring to this, but should you feel this method does not work for you then just say and I will take a look at some other alternatives.

I’m only an email away and I hope that what I have said so far helps.
Take care and hope to hear back from you soon.

All the best hun. Jen xXx

WeWantWaffles

Re: Hurts to Remove Makeup / Shave

Postby WeWantWaffles » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Heya :)

I know it's been a little while, but it's been busy for me lately, as unusual as that may be for me. I've not been able to give any new products a try, and I really do mean it when I say I have verrrry little money to spend on things. Isn't life expensive sometimes? - Well! Anyway..

I'm still using three blades (because that's all we have at the moment - definitely not going higher than 3 anymore after what you said), but I'm managing a lot better by taking my time in properly soaking my face in hot water (using a flannel!). Not perfect (= understatement of the year), but that simple step was enough to help lots. A pre-shave oil is something I should really try out, especially since they don't seem like they'll be too pricy :) ..

For shaving cream, I can probably try out one of the things you recommended if I can find any of them here. What I'm using now is stuff my father/brother use, which seems like a cheap low budget cream if anything.

Lint free wipes are totally necessary - thanks for that xD I'll be sure to read up on how to cover shadows and such soon, too ^-^ All this has been very helpful, and given me a lot of hope because it seems like I just don't have the right tools to do it right. I mean, it's like making pancakes without a frying pan - you can kind of manage somehow, but the result won't be anywhere near as lovely. Also I'm getting hungry now - damn you, pancake analogies! x.x

Oh as for the free samples thingy? I kind of live in Belgium, which means it's probably much more expensive to mail things to me, and I don't want to do that to you. <3

Rawr, I think that's the end of this rant.
- Sarah
And at the end of it all, I just want them to say; "Oh, that Sarah. She was a pretty awesome chick."

Return to “Female Fashion, Beauty and Male Groomingâ€