Transgender Media Archives Discussion

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Archiving Begun

Postby Ice Maiden » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:05 pm

currently recording an audio cassette into the PC from tape from 1995 that was Broadcast on BBC Radio 5

and features Russell Reid Yvonne St Claire amongst other its a rare and very long program that was on about two hours from around 10 pm - bit 'noisy' but i will attempt and endeavor to fix that

other than the BBC archives this is probably the only other recording in existence
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:28 pm

well the audio tapes were mainly recorded radio shows with a transsexual angle for the most part

but there were some interesting ones Alan Whicker interviewing the adopted son who become a she in america and really interesting

sadly of course there are the abusive radio shows and some led to the then Radio Authority being contacted (Now OFCOM).

Talk Radio (Now Talk Sport) had a number of really bad 'events' where certain presenters would be in very serious trouble were they to say a similar thing today - i have the audio clips all saved to mp3 now so always handy should any of these hosts play the innocent at a later date - these things can come back to haunt them ;)

of course there were a number of interesting radio shows too of course

agony aunts, vanessa when she had a show on the radio - a spin off from her TV show (little bit of trivia it was a fake crossdresser that basically caused her show to be exposed and axed on the BBC in the late 90s - oh the irony)

I have other radio shows on disk too but its always the older ones that conjur up just what life was like in the 80s and 90s for transpeople, the sad thing is i dont think things have changed that much for most.

There was a massive 'push' by the community to get the Birth Certificates changed and this kinda dominated everything really. As soon as that law allowed a certain amount of stealth it meant that those that would go on shows and speak tended not to as they probably felt they had earned their anonymity

One tape i am currently giving some TLC to has many many clips of interest and i am ensuring the tape is converted cleaned, each and every frame at 25 frames per second will be digitally scrubbed about a week to do an 8hour tape or more and the audio re equalized with dolby nr

The tape in question has a very young looking stephen whittle :) and what was a fantastic show in the late 80s early 90s called Gaytime TV. where is that now?

It had some really interesting interviews with many individuals amongst them was
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_von_Mahlsdorf its so sad to see these people are gone now when there they were only 5 mins ago
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Crisp he died in 99 so you can tell how old this tape is as he was full of life in this interview
and of course the "i probably should have been born a girl but this 'protoplasmic package' allows me more access'" Richard O'Brien (he means as a man he can get on better but would like to have had 't*ts' (quoting from the interview) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_O%27Brien a really good interview and exposes a lot about who he feels he is and his views on gender - of course most famous for the Rocky Horror Picture Show, this is a bit of an eye-opener as far as having more license wth trans themes

Another film which is hard to come by online is the http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077288/ La Cage Aux Folles - I am not talking about 'the Bird Cage' the US version with Robin Williams which was butchered and a shadow of the former film. I have had this on tape for so long and now finally getting it digital. I mean you can get hookie copies but this is French with English subtitles - the ones online have Swedish and Italian subs so not much use there really ;)P unless you speak fluent Italian, Swedish or of course French LOL

Another interesting program is Warcry - a documentary about Lord Justice Omrod http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ormrod famous (or rather infamous for the Corbett Vs Corbett case that lead to the legal limbo for transgender people since the 70s until the recent present day). It features talking heads and interviews with people who have suffered considerably because of it from prisoners, to april herself and of course the mps who stand for 'traditional values' which make stomach churning comments about the trans community

there was a lot of that back then, a person would come on a show be humiliated then slowly win the audience over and then theyd bring on the planted Christian Right activist who sounded like Satan himself - where was their christian compassion? Even writing this now i feel like i could throttle those people and this was 15 years ago LOL :lol: :roll: :lol: :x :P :oops: :shock: :o :oops: :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen: :roll: :lol:
One such show was called 'The Wharehouse' and the like of Lowri Turner (young face long hair (very long hair - didnt suit her ;)) and others like James Whale (one of the few 'shock jocks' i actually liked as he was very fair with trans issues) and they all appeared on it as hosts

one episode was particularly uncomfortable to watch where a transsexual who said she was dying of cancer was sat opposite a 'families christian 'type'' and he basically took every shred of dignity she had and shat on it

what a c*nt! the funny thing is Bob Geldof called a leader of an African state a 'c*nt' to his face and the people on these shows deserved the same treatment - f*ck dignity and sitting there all prim and proper - these sh*ts (and thats what they are) deserved to be told straight what they were to their face on the show! Judge not lest you be judged - so thats fair then ;)

some faces who dd this cropped up again and again back then - i have a number of kilroy shows and Esther that see those same faces 'ready to attack' any trans person regardless of their merit or even before theyd spoken - ridiculous projective identification and hatred of the worse kind dressed up in the bible and family values - in the audience and the producers knew exactly what they were doing - i just thought if Christ was there sat there as we understand him to be ... i cannot imagine for a minute a man who worked and helped the sick, needy, starving, lepers and prostitutes would behave the way these so called 'good people' would have behaved on national tv - disgraceful

Nicky one of the ftm guys who started out on tzone made an appearance on one Kilroy Show and then appeared on This Morning although i have not gotton around to digitizing that tape yet

Also this time i have a copy of an episode of Oprah (Harpo cool name) where she invited regula women to become men for the day and followed them about. What was interesting was this as a social experiment showed how FTMs can make mistakes as they had a body language expert train them to walk and behave masculine - it was brilliant to watch - cos there is not trans issue at debate here and as such you the viewer are unshackled from this problem and can watch very feminine women who enjoy being women transform like this - just great - i am not the biggest fan of Oprah but this one was bloody excellent to watch :))) some looked awful as men so thin and ill looking yet as women fine? Another looked like a serial killer - shame you cant see it

maybe i can still it up

anyways enough for now more later - i cannot cover all the stuff that wil be listed in the archives section in time this is just a bit of a deeper examination of those issues tapes and films

still got 25 tapes to go at 8 hours a tape =) 200 hours of trans stuff - which i am looking forward too.

On top of that we have digital and dvd and cd clips from 2003 on so thats 7 years on disk :)))

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:30 am

YAY not even close to half way yet

I now have 3 intel atoms duel cores pcs now running 24/7 each converting VHS 8 hour tapes captured through firewire each one takes about 3 days on average to clean the video footage (remove visual speckles noise graininess etc to professional restoration quality) and i adjust the audio with noise reduction and improve it with EQ at the same time :)))

i think its only when you see this people begin to realise just what a great resource we have :)))

this is just VHS Tapes - the digital is frightening i mean take a single terrabyte hard drive bear in mind this is heavily compressed video and i have already filled up 4 + 4 1TB identical copies as any sinngle one can fail and this allows a reserve to backup again this does not include what is on DVD CD and of course the latest VHS work

atm converting a great San Francisco FTM documentary (shown around 96) about life as an FTM from needles to leisure time they even show you how to make dicks and balls out of tights condoms and jelly its really amazing and what a great show all FTMs should see this YAY!!! :roll: :lol:

I think Tzone is unequaled in media knowledge about (primarily English spoken) trans related programmes worldwide tbh

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:42 am

Currently rendering this one
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/556082
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/5560 ... ansmission
its a shame that the only details available are the BFI Museum!!! and they dont know a lot about it

and we have a sparkling (or soon to have) copy :)))

This is a great program and an FTM treasure - its probably one of the best programs i have ever seen by FTMs with FTMs being themselves helping FTMs - if there was ever a blueprint to create a show featuring transgender men and lets face it the fun they have too motorbikes partying - am almost tempted to buy some sustanon myself and a Harley LOL :roll: :lol: :x :P :oops: :shock: :o :( ;) :) :D

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:33 am

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “Media Archives”