Advice

You can still read all the posts here. As this was a moderated guest area for newbies and people who do not want to register. However due to the spam we encountered we have decided to retire this and insist on Registration and Admin Approval in the main Agony section or pop over to our Facebook Group and join in there. See the Blog link in our site menu.

Moderator: Guest Moderator

Julie

Advice

Postby Julie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi All

I work for Coast & Country Housing up in Redcar. One of the things that we are doing is writing an Inclusion, Equality and Diversity guide for our staff. Really it is about different groups of people and is all about do's and don'ts.

If you were writing the guide, what do and don'ts would you would have us tell our staff around coming into contact with transgender people. Are there any other than to treat people respectfully etc? Mind I am a bit tired and brain fuzzed as been writing all day.

Your help would be really appreciated. Big thanks xx

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Cassie

Re: Advice

Postby Cassie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:00 pm

I think the best advice is to treat transgender people as you would any other member of the sex as which they present themselves. If they are clearly dressed as female and identify as female (female name etc) then they are "she" and "her" and can use the ladies.

Just be polite, treat them with respect and allow them their dignity.

thanks

JENNYJET

Postby JENNYJET » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:41 pm

I think the best advice is to treat transgender people as you would any other member of the sex as which they present themselves. If they are clearly dressed as female and identify as female (female name etc) then they are "she" and "her" and can use the ladies.

Just be polite, treat them with respect and allow them their dignity.

thanks
I would agree with Cassie in the main but with a minor adjustment and an addition if I may.....If the company has a diversity policy in place then make sure that it includes the welfare of gender variant members of staff. By that I mean making other members aware, with the consent of the subject, of certain special needs regards comfort breaks and other matters that may arise but with discretion. It is usually ignorance that causes the problems but once dealt with, there is usually no further issue.

Pronouns will be a problem to most if they are clearly aware that the subject has a gender variance, I experience this myself at the theatre I work for on a voluntary basis. They can't help it because they see what is often opposite to how I present although it is getting easier as those with difficulty come to understand. It takes time for them but it is not malicious.

Politeness, respect and dignity is now automatic for the LBG? community and now that the addition 'T' has been added, it should become easier for employers to amend their policies.

I wish you well with your efforts in this area Julie and thank you :D

Julie

Postby Julie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:34 am

Thanks everyone. That is really, really appreciated. All of your comments will be added in

Thanks so much xx

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:44 am

yeah treat people as they present themselves or simply ask them

read this paper it covers most things

http://www.transgenderzone.com/research/res&comcare.htm
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “Guest Comment and Agony - Now Closed Please use Registered Agony and Advice below.”