Passports and Gender

You can still read all the posts here. As this was a moderated guest area for newbies and people who do not want to register. However due to the spam we encountered we have decided to retire this and insist on Registration and Admin Approval in the main Agony section or pop over to our Facebook Group and join in there. See the Blog link in our site menu.

Moderator: Guest Moderator

Elliot J

Passports and Gender

Postby Elliot J » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:16 am

Hi I’m Elliot (he/him) I’m 20 and ftm. I’ve known I was trans since I was about 13 but spent many years so deep in the closet me and Aslan became besties. I started to socially transition two years ago and changed my name legally last year.

Recently lost my passport and cancelled it in case it had been stolen (it turned up again after the fact.) I need a new passport for banks and student accommodation and a million other things as I have no drivers license for ID.

I want to know if I should change the gender on my passport when I apply for a new one under my new name.

I am still pre-T and on the unfortunately long waiting lists for the GIC. I worry that changing my gender pre-T on my passport is going to cause a whole host of confusion, but I really don’t want to have that daunting F on my passport again.

Is it worth changing the gender now or should I wait til later in my transition? Does anyone have any advice or a similar experience/worries?

I should also add that while I don’t plan to travel abroad any time soon (2020 being as it is) my boyfriend and best friend are both from Spain and there is a good chance I will travel there and perhaps to the Netherlands to visit. I know these countries are generally good with transgender folks but I still worry about language barriers in these situations as well.

TLDR; I need a new passport, I’m pre medically transition, do I change the gender on my passport?

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

tzone
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Passports and Gender

Postby tzone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:25 am

Hi First off We welcome legal experts to ad to this if possible.

However I am not a Lawyer and can only give my opinion here.
This response was provided by Ice Maiden here
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30#p49
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

Sadly it is a very precarious issue self identifying in the UK and worse elsewhere!

I have looked into this and found this from the Gov website as it is pointless listening to anyone else on this matter.
https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/gender

In a nutshell what they say is this

Gender change
Send one of the following when you apply for a passport:

a Gender Recognition Certificate
a new birth or adoption certificate showing your acquired gender
a letter from your doctor or medical consultant confirming your change of gender is likely to be permanent
If you’re sending a letter from your doctor or medical consultant and you’re changing your name, you’ll also need to supply both of the following:

evidence of your change of name (such as a deed poll)
evidence that you’re using your new name (for example a payslip, or a letter from your local council)

Now this seems to be in two parts. The first is about your gender and the second is about name changing.

So you can change your name on your Passport but as far as gender markers then this appears to require a GRC at the moment. It is horrible having to go to say a bank and basically humiliate yourself showing ID that says 'girl' when you are a man! I mean how weird is that? Most banks these days have private rooms and you can ask to speak to say the manager privately when dealing with such things banks and most large institutions inc Borderforce agencies and customs etc are likely to have had 'sensitivity' training. Again dont make a scene and request a private chat.

A Gender Recognition Certificate is the goal here clearly for you as with a new Birth Certificate you are free of all this nonsense. The problem is Passports and ID are often used fraudulently so the Gov are very hard on all this. A driving licence is really a better bet if you are over 16 get a provisional one if you have not passed your test. As that may suffice and you can use your chosen male name (changed by Statutory Declaration/ Deed Poll) and gender markers are hidden. It is recommended to change your name using a solicitor and get witnessed copies of the document as you may not get the copies back and without being witnessed they are not accepted. Always KEEP the original Stat Dec!

It is not advised to lie (or purger yourself) on anything official or legal for obvious reasons!

Hope this helps...

tzone
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Passports and Gender

Postby tzone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:27 am

#Replies