Work Transition

You can still read all the posts here. As this was a moderated guest area for newbies and people who do not want to register. However due to the spam we encountered we have decided to retire this and insist on Registration and Admin Approval in the main Agony section or pop over to our Facebook Group and join in there. See the Blog link in our site menu.

Moderator: Guest Moderator

AnonM2F

Work Transition

Postby AnonM2F » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:50 pm

Tried to ask this on the tgboards but got shut down with useless and ignorant advice to "accept who I am" which had nothing to do with my post, sigh...I just need some practical advice from people who have actually successfully transitioned at work. I cannot afford to "take a chance" and bull my way through this and end up like so many others I've heard of getting fired over technicalities days later. I do not have the means to even fight back if that happens.

p.s. also why do all the transgender boards feel like shopping centers....

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Steffi

Re: Work Transition

Postby Steffi » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:37 am

Hi and welcome :-)

What are you actually asking?
Contact me privately via "steffi AT transgenderzone DOT com" Click to see Who I am

To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fix your plan, Take me as I am (Dreamtheatre - As I Am)

my trans-ness viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5401&p=45640#p45351

Some (mostly rough) tracks of my prior life as a guitarist up on You-Tube, if you want to check them out
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8QKYu ... zkA/videos

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:01 am

There have been many who have been here and asked this question over the years.

The world of work is 'supposedly' far better than it was back in the day.

The simplest way to approach this is 3 fold

If you are self-employed then the biggest hurdle is your client's levels of transphobia which is impossible to gauge, A front of house retailer say in a store selling something that may 'clash' with early transition can be problematical. Working in say Mothercare and a trans*man's voice breaking can confuse the client and maybe make them feel uncomfortable. It is pointless saying it cannot happen. It does sadly. People tend to be supportive as a rule but deep down many still get a little 'freaked out by it all. Even families struggle.

If your job is one of faith, vicar, Imam and so on then it is going to be a bit of a tough ride and a change of work maybe considered, at least during transition, speak to your employer and see how they feel? C of E is pretty good and has many trans* priests. But parents say at a Sunday School may show their annoyance by no longer attending.

If you work in an office then it can be easier depending on the dynamic of the team. If there are a group of bawdy men selling cars it may be hard work and you may just become some sexist joke to them. It is hard to transition to a female gender role, when one has to keep behaving as a man to fit in. If you work in a larger company with a personnel dept or officer, then speak to them about this ASAP! Legally you have protections in the workplace, They may need to brush up on these rules as it is not everyday they have to face them. You can guide them by doing some research of your own. You can visit the Department of Work and Pensions Website.

If you work for a 'boss' and have direct access to them, then you will sooner or later have to arrange a meeting with them - do not rush this! Don't be too bolshy... Like walk in with a Union Rep and throw legislation on their desk... That may come later... They maybe really cool about it.

If your employer is a prize A**hole. Then you may need to seek legal advice. If you are not a member of a union, this maybe the time to join one. Most unions have a great working relationship with the transgender community.

Watch this clip for example... When one of our team was at Trans*pride Brighton.
https://youtu.be/NMvHrthAxho?t=12m40s and listen to this union rep
Hope this helps.

Again there are so many variables involved here that it is a difficult question to answer.

As my colleague Steffi above has said. Maybe you can expand on this?

Read this as it has been asked before :)
viewtopic.php?t=4704
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:02 am

#Replies
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “Guest Comment and Agony - Now Closed Please use Registered Agony and Advice below.”