Christine

Re: Alternative Search Engines

Postby Christine » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:30 pm

That's not a bad price for a year. I forget how much my configuration costs me, I think a tenner for the domain, then another tenner to host its DNS and backup MX and stuff (though that also includes a website and the usual accoutrements), then the rest of the cost is just the usual DSL and some relatively inexpensive hardware to run a server: CPU requirements are scant, it needs no fancy graphics, it uses an array of cheap 400 GB HDDs and I use FreeBSD for its operating system. The main outlay is my time to keep it up to date, especially as the software is a little tangled: it's based around Postfix for the mail server, Cyrus for mail storage and SpamAssassin for filtering out junk. I guess I like to tinker with stuff, as frustrating as it often is, though it is quite useful being able to have anything@mydomain.com as an email address.

Being away from home is more of a challenge, though. I've just been experimenting with remote access (just basic ssh stuff, I'm too paranoid about security to enable anything more fancy), though obviously it means I'll need to leave it switched on when I'm away.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

ShawBee

Postby ShawBee » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:58 pm

actually, ive bought a domain for 1 year which i can set up 5 mailboxes for. £4.60 is more than affordable for me. think ive goot the cheepest name i could go for. even if i have addtional usage charges, depending on what they are, even it it goes to £20 for the year, its still cheaper than building my own mail server. inexpensive is relative to ones income, 20quid is well worth the agg of not having to get my head round linux, let alone the additional programs to set the beggar up, let alone the hair pulling when a problem occurs, ive got a very cost effective solution. i am hiddem from the 'Whois' list and my details will not be sold on to other companies.
'he's still alive, he wants more cigarettes, fruitcake and pile ointment,'

Christine

Postby Christine » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Yeah, avoiding the frustration of learning Unix and often worse when it comes to the extras is worth it, I think (I still shudder at the memory of trying to figure out sendmail: it might be standard, but it's absolutely horrible! :o) I do like to tinker, but even as a cynical old sysadmin I sometimes have to question my sanity!

Whois anonymity is a good thing, and the .com domains are a lot better than the tedious and pedantic Nominet who won't give even private owners proper anonymity for .co.uk domains.

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:27 am

It is not the domain or even your own server it is the net itself that is monitored. So between you and the destination it has to pass through the hands of others and they see it!
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Christine

Postby Christine » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:31 am

It is not the domain or even your own server it is the net itself that is monitored. So between you and the destination it has to pass through the hands of others and they see it!
I avoid the risks of eavesdropping by talking total rubbish most of the time.

Return to “Technology and Gadgets (inc computer support and net advice)â€