recipes

AbracaDebra

Re: recipes

Postby AbracaDebra » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:47 am

Lairiana wrote:Edit: Wait, it censors b-to-the-alls but not f*ggot?

f*ggot, f*ggot, f*ggot

Guess not. :shrugs:

Food eh....Close to Cassies heart I see. :thumbup:

Hugs,
Debbie (curry head :D )

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

freespirit

Postby freespirit » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Cassie wrote:I love this!!! That should be b*a*l*l*s of pastry. The system substituted testicals - jings they can't even spell it, it's testicles. However this does not apply to pastry. B*a*l*l*s applies to pastry.

I wonder what would happen if I started talking about Ed testicals (Labour politician)?

And dogs like chasing balls too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jenh

Postby jenh » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Noooo! A proper "Cornish" Pasty (see Horse and Jockey in Helston, Cornwall for THE best) should have four ingredients only; beef (usually skirt), potatoes, swede and onion (onion can be omitted). OK, bit of salt and pepper to taste.

To start I always get the filling together as it can be time consuming. You will need around a pound of beef skirt two large potatoes, half a swede, and one large onion.

Slice the veggies as thinly as you can into smallish, squarish... bits. I mix them together in a large jug then. Cut the skirt into smally chunks. Add to jug. Add salt and pepper to taste.

For the shortcrust pastry you will need a pound of plain flour (not sure what US equivalent is), quarter pound of margarine/spread (butter if you're rich), quarter pound of lard/beef dripping, approx. 8- or 9 fluid ounces of very, very cold water.

Rub, with your fingers, the flour, marge and lard together until close to breadcrumbs consistency. Slowly add water to mixture and mix with cold, metal spoon into a firm dough.

Flour a worktop and rolling pin and and roll out the pastry till about one eighth of an inch thick. Thicker if you like pastry. Place a large plate on the pastry and using a wet knife, cut out a circle. Put the cut off pastry to one side.

Remove the plate and bunch your filling in one third of the circle. Dampen the edges to be folded and fold the pastry over the filling and join the edges together. I like to roughly roll the edge between my fingers. Stick a wet knife into the top to let it breathe in the oven.

Repeat for as many as you can make (I get two large, two small out of the mixture).

Pre-heat oven to around 150°-160° and place pasties on greased baking tray, brush lightly with milk and place in centre of the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until brown.

I make a veggie variation to; don't add the meat.

This is how my ex-mother-in-law, dead now alas, who was from Polperro, made them. If you do use other ingredients, for heaven's sake don't call them Cornish! They get very, very cross down there... :?

Cassie
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Cassie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Welcome to the site Jen!

Ooopsie! My family are from Devon so doubtless a few things change when they cross the Tamar. Interestingly i've always known them to be lamb but I guess beef is more logical in that part of the world.

jenh

Postby jenh » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:02 am

We live in Mid-Devon, surrounded by sheep and trac'ors. Very quiet, very dark (at nights). There's an ongoing rivalry about pasties and cream teas here. It's all a bit weird actually, very tribal, as bad as football! I'm from Liverpool myself (came down here due to work), so can understand rivalry, but not about food... :roll:

Return to “Home and Garden (inc pets,DIY,cooking, Cars and Vehicles etc)”