What do you like to grow?

freespirit

What do you like to grow?

Postby freespirit » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:42 pm

What do you like to plant and grow and, maybe more importantly, can you keep it alive?
I wouldn't call myself a gardner but I do enjoy growing a few things for our own consumption. We enjoy cooking different ethnic foods so that dictates a lot of our produce. Chili peppers from around the world are my favorite, different heirloom varietes of tomatoes, and herbs too. Last year we tried a couple of new crops: Amaranth, a South American native but now used in the mediteranean and Tomatilloes a green tomato sized (but not a green tomato) fruit used Mexican/Central American cooking to see if they would grow in the UK climate. Uhm... well yes thay do.. we can't keep them under control and no one except us knows what to do with them!

Katja
Last edited by freespirit on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

snowdoggy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: What do you like to grow?

Postby snowdoggy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:30 am

freespirit wrote:Chili peppers from around the world are my favorite. Katja

As long as they aren't Scotch Bonnets :o I used to like to cook traditional curries and one of them called for scotch bonnets as an ingredient. Far too hot and not a nice flavour either in my opinion.

When I was in my teens my family went through major money problems for many years as my dad's business went t*ts up and he was eventually declared bankrupt.

We moved into a very cheap rented property in the middle of no mans' land and became virtually self sufficient, growing many crops all year round. My dad brewed his own beer, made all our bread from scratch and I used to drag fallen trees back from woods that belonged to the farmer we rented the house from, sawed them into logs and stacked them outside the house. They used to see us all through winter. Reading back through what I have just typed it sounds like this sort of thing only happed in the black and white days but this was only 1982-1983.

Back onto topic... I was only 13 at the time but seeing as I was doing all the labour, digging and shifting etc, whilst my dad did the planning and had the knowledge to work out the crop rotation ect each year, the only thing I wanted to grow was sweetcorn. He said there was no way back then it was possible to get a decent crop from growing sweetcorn in the north of England. He allowed me to have a patch to appease me after digging potato troughs for days and they grew like stink.

He thinks it was because the land that belonged to the house was good farming land. It was also a very large area (much bigger than our house), was good farming land and also had massive amounts of sun.

More recently I have found the thing I grow best are busy lizzies from seed and I LOVE roses which I also seem to have a green hand effect with.

I struggle to keep lillies alive and my favourite plants are pinks but think they seem to be sensitive about where they are grown and don't seem to strive in the soil in the area I live at the moment.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

freespirit

Postby freespirit » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 am

snowdoggy wrote:
freespirit wrote:Chili peppers from around the world are my favorite. Katja

As long as they aren't Scotch Bonnets :o I used to like to cook traditional curries and one of them called for scotch bonnets as an ingredient. Far too hot and not a nice flavour either in my opinion.

Thats quite a story!
I must admit I do like Scotch Bonnets/Habenero type peppers but you are right you have to be very careful using them. One is usaually more than enough, One time after cutting them I made the mistake of touching a certain part of the anatomy that shall remain nameless. Ooh la la :o Nowdays I use a plastic glove!

AbracaDebra

Postby AbracaDebra » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:35 pm

I used to grow very small kind of hood shaped mushrooms when I was in my mid 20's. I used to fry them and put them on toast. My friend used to put them in fudge. It made us very happy. :lol:

Denise Anderson

Postby Denise Anderson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Tomatoes are coming on well in the garden, the red onions and other onions are drying out nice and are tasty... and the apples off the trees are gorgeous :)

Return to “Home and Garden (inc pets,DIY,cooking, Cars and Vehicles etc)”