What are you reading at the moment?

Lairiana

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Postby Lairiana » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:19 pm

I've gone back to Sir Pratchett and I'm now closing in on the midway point in Jingo.

It's the weakest start to any of his books that I've read so far, and it's taken me 3/4 goes to actually get into it. I'm glad I persevered though as it's quite funny, but I don't think it'll be my favourite. There's not enough Cheery and Angua :(
"Fish are not the best authority on water" - Jane Yolen; Sister Light, Sister Dark

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

Lairiana

Postby Lairiana » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm currently reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's pretty easy to read (Which isn't a bad thing by any standard), and I'm quite enjoying it.

So far I can sum it up as Nineteen-Eighty Four for Teens.
"Fish are not the best authority on water" - Jane Yolen; Sister Light, Sister Dark

Lairiana

Postby Lairiana » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:41 pm

After putting it down for about two weeks, I finished The Hunger Games last night. Wow, it absolutely blew me away. It's well written and you do feel for some of the characters. Luckily I got all three at the same time, so my next book is likely going to be The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

In the time I didn't read it, I got through the whole of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King, another well written book with slightly similar protagonists, and about one third/halfway through Empire in Black & Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky, which is a fantasy novel in quite a long series (Or at least it's shaping up to be quite long). I'm not getting on too well with it, though, as it doesn't feel like I'm getting anywhere with it. I'll read it a for a few nights and then it seems like I've barely progressed through the story. It is, however, a very interesting take on the fantasy tropes and races, and he's been very clever with the setting. There's a little bit of Steampunk, a little bit of sci-fi, but mostly it's fantasy.

Lairiana

Postby Lairiana » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:12 pm

So, I finished Empire in Black & Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky on... Uh... Tuesday, and aside from the annoying shoehorned-in romance, I thought it was pretty good and enjoyable. Not the best book I've read, but a good debut nonetheless.

And as such, it left me free to start The Hunger Games: Catching Fire last night. About 150 pages in now, and I'm really enjoying it. Seems to be less action-based at this point, but I'm not complaining. The book I just finished had enough fights to last me a few weeks :lol:

Arctic Moth

Postby Arctic Moth » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Beefheart: Through The Eyes Of Magic by John 'Drumbo' French. It's a superbly detailed account of his history in the marvellous Magic Band, pieced together from his own recollections and various interviews conducted with band members and significant others.

Return to “Social Chit Chat”