Miss Transgender UK - Documentary BBC2

Media and Television that affects the trans community.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Miss Transgender UK - Documentary BBC2

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:41 pm

MISS TRANSGENDER - BRITAIN'S NEW BEAUTY QUEENS

Imagebbc

Controversial from the outset, MTGUK has been a fascinating insight into transgender beauty pageants. And the difficulty dealing with egos.

The organiser was kind enough to take on (courageously) the community questions we posed here and it was tough - watch that now.
http://media.transgenderzone.com/?p=4492
I admire Rachael for this as she didn't have to answer these and it was powerful stuff.

So back to the documentary...

Shown on BBC2 - that is very good as it could have been tucked away (no puns intended) on the new online BBC 3 or BBC ii!? Trying to be cool I think.

First and foremost, I have countless similar events in our archive, even Ruby Wax hosting, 'Miss Tranny UK' i the 90s - yeas that did actually happen ;) :roll:.

What made this a bit different was that it showed the back stories of a chosen few.

That was actually interesting, but it did turn a little ugly towards the end. You will have to watch to see. And the pressure of the event clearly was too much for many as they lost their tempers. I think this added to it tbh. The scamp in me enjoyed this Jeremy Kyle/Springer'esque' altercation. I was having flash-backs to 'The League of Gentleman's' Barbara the cabbie at that point! Especially when the following was said to a room full of bitching T* women.

An interesting moment was a loud voice screaming "OI STOP F*CKING ARGUING! SERIOUSLY!? YOU ARE MEANT TO BE F*CKING WOMEN! SERIOUSLY YOU ARE ACTING LIKE MEN IN A F*CKING PUB! SERIOUSLY!!!"

:lol:

I think that kinda says it all. And for that alone worth watching.

On the plus side, Rachael has created an event, from the ground up, got it televised, and spoken about. It was big enough to rope in some well known faces, such as Kellie Maloney (at the time), and for the most part was akin to most beauty pageants. Women self-critical and b*tching about others. But that is par for the course in this game, even kid's beauty pageants the parents are terrible by proxy of their little darlings and this was no different.

In the end the winner did not go down well (no puns please) with the other contestants, she was pretty. But hey what do I know? One contestant is desperate for her stored sperm not to be destroyed as her cash runs out. She wants a surrogate, but when she asks about the cost at the alternative parenting show she was told that is would cost her only $110,000 dollars... Of course that is great for Elton John and his ilk, but her heart sank. So it is these little nuggets that made this a winner. Lastly one contestant who has relied on sex work to stay alive, mentions this on a chat show about the event throwing the whole idea into turmoil. Fay (who wants to have children, felt this was out of order and leads to a show-down...). That saying this just reinforced a stereotype that all trans are sex-workers. More on that in the documentary (link below).

All in all despite being slammed as 1 star by TV Guide. I think it was a real grower (PUNS! Argghhhh!), and I'd happily give this 4 stars. It is definitely worth watching, even if it is to have a sneak peek behind the scenes ;) A warts n' all documentary that thoroughly entertains and has sufficient pace to keep you interested at all times.

Well done Rachael - I have to hand it to you. You played a blinder!

You have 2 months left to watch this here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06ygps6

Image 4/5 TZ Stars - Good.
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Miss Transgender UK - Documentary BBC2

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:44 pm

#Replies
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “Transgender Media and Television”