Doctor Who casts transgender actor Bethany Black

Media and Television that affects the trans community.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Doctor Who casts transgender actor Bethany Black

Postby Ice Maiden » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:24 am

Independent

Bethany Black is to become the first openly transgender actor to appear in Doctor Who.

The comedian, who has appeared in Channel 4’s Tofu, Cucumber and Banana, confirmed the news on her Facebook fan page, writing: “Now to sit back and wait until The Mail realises the BBC have cast an open trans lesbian in a family show.”

The news marks the first time a transgender actor has been cast in the BBC sci-fi drama since the series began in 1963.

Black's character is not transgender, and she was considered the best actor for the role.
Read more: Doctor Who 'promotes a gay agenda', viewers complain to BBC

Speaking to The Independent earlier this year about playing trans character Helen in Russell T Davies’ Channel 4 crossover dramas, she said: “It is an absolute privilege and honour to be representing trans people.

“There’s a massive responsibility but you also know you can’t really represent anybody - you can’t even represent yourself.”

Being pedantic I think it should read "Openly Transgender!" Doctor Who has been around for 50 years and it is obvious to anybody that at least one of the actors is likely to be a closet trans*person at some point ;)

More
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 43832.html
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Doctor Who casts transgender actor Bethany Black

Postby Ice Maiden » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:24 am

#Replies

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:32 am

Comment

It is a good move to have a transgender actress playing a non trans character, but it depends on the character, if it is an alien or some androgynous non-human then what is the point in selling that line?

Second of course transgender characters have existed already such as Cassandra O'Brien.Δ17 in the Last Human viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3247

Thirdly, are there only 2 trans actors in the UK? Bethany Black and Rebecca Root? And that's it? The show could have gone with an unknown and expanded the numbers available for work. I worry that the BBC will become a tokenistic Lenny Henry (the only few Black people in the 80s and 90s they would hire for comedy shows). So this can actually be damaging and counter-productive.

That said I thought Bethany's effort in Banana (viewtopic.php?t=4646) was exceptional and you can read that here so no doubt she will do a great job. I worry that the media and the BBC are over selling the fact she is trans - why mention it at all?

They don't do it with any other minority on the show. Not even Warwick Davies.
#OBVS

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:34 am

PS PPS I look forward to seeing it ;) forgot to mention that LOL :gigglersx: :-) :kiss: :tongueoutx: :makeupx: :clap: :eh: :p

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “Transgender Media and Television”