New Tricks - Adèle Anderson - BBC ONE - Transgender Actress

Media and Television that affects the trans community.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

New Tricks - Adèle Anderson - BBC ONE - Transgender Actress

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:39 am

New Tricks
15/09
BBC ONE

Summary

Imagebbc

When film critic Oliver Houghton's corpse is found in a sewer Sasha is reluctantly forced to work with Ned as Oliver had been a witness in the unsolved case of gay artist David Straka two decades earlier. Both men were drowned and Danny sees the river Fleet as a link since it featured in David's last project. David's friend Ruth Shireen tells the team that David and Oliver got involved with the occult due to the unpleasant Cyril Watkins though Cyril, now Cecily after gender realignment, explains that there was no harm intended. However a woman playing the part of a sacrificial victim in David's film about the mysteries of the Fleet accidentally died. A trip to the sewers locates her corpse and Sasha beats Ned to finding out her identity and solving both cases.

REVIEW

The moment the scene began I though - ahhhh! I know who she is. This is Adèle Anderson and she is an actual trans*woman! Then I thought right, let's move past this part and see how she interprets the script, facially acts, moves her body, changes her intonation, and introduces passion and mood to the dialogue...

Nope, not asking for much am I?

I really watched this, and I mean really critically watched it! And she was great! What more can I say. As cameos go this was a good one.

OK so...

The Good

Well a trans*woman plays a trans*woman! This makes perfect sense, and in actual fact in 2014 most people watching probably didn't even notice until they had to mention it. But it is important to show that there are trans*actors and performers and if given the chance can deliver!

Next, she is a woman 'of a certain age', and this brings in considerable social value! And experience, this actress has 'lived' and it shows behind her eyes, she has a lifetime of feelings and emotions to draw on and tap into.

The reason why casting middle-aged women is an issue is quite simply that the BBC has not got the best track record employing older women full stop! Let alone transwomen! They were recently sued by middle-aged women they sacked for 'hotter' younger presenters (and the BBC lost!). So for them to write a transgender woman in to this episode and not go down the 'Jonathan Creek' (camp male actor pretending) is to be applauded - they didn't have to!
Which do you prefer? viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3655 or viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3920#.VBjfwxZhxW0 or this?

Adèle played the part as though her life depended on it! Maybe it does? It was one heck of a screen test for other producers to see, and maybe they will now think of her in future!

She was in total control of this exchange, she acted, I think, to a a very good level - if not better than the other leads, they certainly seemed to up their game with her performance, Dennis Waterman probably didn't expect to have to work hard here ;). I couldn't take my eyes of her! From her furtive glances, to her nonchalance, and then she jumps to anger and back to calm during the questioning - enthralling. Her vocal delivery and accent was quite scathing of the police almost patronising them - clever stuff!

The Not so Good

"Cyril Watkins now Cecily." Did we really have to know she 'used to be a fella'? I think this could have been written where this was not mentioned and still given her the part. Keep the audience guessing. They only need to do this when they don't have a transwoman cast. A bit like saying, "oh Lenny Henry is black." No sh*t Sherlock! :roll:

This is an old habit writers have used historically, because they never cast transpeople, now they are (trying) this can effectively be stopped! Unless it is relevant, but to be honest I have seen enough programmes to last a lifetime where that plot is used. Time to shake it up a bit eh?

It does remind me if how the BBC played with John Inman in 'Are you Being Served' in the 70s relied on an ultra camp delivery to show he is Gay. He HAD to be seen to be Gay (like Larry Grayson), almost proving it every week, a 'straight acting' (I really hate that description) Gay man would have never been hired. And ironically Graham Norton and Alan Carr and even Rylan Clark today still all fit that Kenneth Williams style. The audience expects Gay men to be camp and I fear that the same audience will also expect their trans actors to have their life bios and medical history held out before them as well, they don't need to we have apps and the internet these days - if people really wanna find out about the trans actors let them Google them ffs!.

I am a little concerned, that the BBC are on the verge of this trans tokenistic programming as well now. And that is a step backwards. I have always said, rather than cameos and niche programming 'especially for minorities' why not put a trans actress in 'Eastenders' as a Locum Doctor for a year? Job Done!

Imagebbc

No special Comedy Awards, no special trans-centric GLBTIQnb programmes 'Will and Grace' has been done time to move on!

Why must they carve out these 'special' roles for transpeople I do not understand.

It is like 'Desmonds' for the Black Community in the 80s or 'The Fresh Prince' it just feels very old fashioned these days. And I fear Trans are going to be going this way for a while - big mistake.

Adèle Anderson can act, and some! (watch the scene, the iPlayer link is below, approx 30mins in).

Imagebbc

It would have been good for her to have been one of the investigation team, rather than some strange occult figure, and it is that 'odd' or peculiar casting that irks me so much when trans*characters are written into scripts.

1. We must know they were men! Else what is the point.
2. We must know their old male name (or female for trans*men).
3. Their role must be odd or somehow 'otherworldly' or challenging (trans sex workers are common in scripts, Candis Cayne for example). Rather than working in the local 'Chippy' (TakeOut Food Server, USA).

The BBC falls into the trap a little here.

I mean why not have a flashing NEON SIGN above her saying "SHE IS TRANS!!!!!" "LOOK EVERYBODY AND HEY!!! THE TRANS COMMUNITY WE HAVE EMPLOYED ONE OF YOU LOT!!!"

Conclusion

It is not her fault the script called for someone a 'bit strange' who practiced the occult. And the writer thought of a transgender person.

Imagebbc

But her performance was refreshing, engaging and surprising. She came across as precise and some may say rather posh and aloof! Her sheer frustration at the police ignorance when describing her practices was actually funny in places, and this approach worked well for the role.

Imagebbc

Imagebbc

Imagebbc

She even had to do some action at the beginning, running scrapping and convincing simulated punch-ups with show lead Tamzin Outhwaite.

Imagebbc

Adèle Anderson, (for those oldies amongst us) will remember her from cabaret group Fascinating Aïda.

Imagebbc

Imagebbc

Imagebbc

There is a podcast audio interview with her available on the Christine Burns Blog from a good few years ago - it maybe still there.

It also gave me a good reason to see what she has been up to of late over on the imdb http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0026307/

I think this performance may well get her agent's phone ringing. It is all very well casting a trans*person for an acting job, but then once you get past that joy, they have to deliver and you as a viewer want to be entertained. If they are wooden or embarrassing then it can work against us. Happily this was not the case!

Imagebbc

Imagebbc

Imagebbc

I was entertained! I also like anything with Nick Lyndhurst in anyway :) (Love 'Goodnight Sweetheart'!). Just a shame she is not one of the investigating regulars on the team - now that would have been cool! [yesss]

Her scene was captivating! It left me wanting more! They could write her in again in some other episode. I mean she could be their consultant for all things occult (or something?).

5 stars! Congratulations Adèle

Image 5/5 TZ Stars - Excellent!

P.S. I do not know her nor have I met her so this is not a 'fluff piece' because she is trans!

WATCH NOW!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... nderground
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

Cassie
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: New Tricks - Adèle Anderson - BBC ONE - Transgender Actr

Postby Cassie » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Cyril Watkins now Cecily." Did we really have to know she 'used to be a fella'? I think this could have been written where this was not mentioned and still given her the part. Keep the audience guessing. They only need to do this when they don't have a transwoman cast. A bit like saying, "oh Lenny Henry is black." No sh*t Sherlock!

- I think you're a little unfair here! They were actually looking for Cyril and Cecily showed up. With the crime having been committed forty years previously she has obviously transitioned in the meantime. I always thought this was the perfect show to introduce an incidental trans character with the investigation of historic crimes.

There was another earlier scene too where she bashed Sasha and Jerry out of the way as she left the flat and Jerry ogled her which was a nice touch though we didn't know who she was at that point.

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: New Tricks - Adèle Anderson - BBC ONE - Transgender Actr

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 pm

This is a fiction a fictional imagination of a screen writer in this case the crime writer Julian Simpson (male) who could have made this character anything they wanted. Could have said

SCENE 10. INT. LOCATION #1 - EVENING 1 [21.00]

WOMAN (48) CECILY IS ATTENDING A PARTY PULLS OUT AN UZI AND KILLS EVERYONE INCLUDING FATALLY WOUNDING DENNIS WATERMAN LOL.

CECILY
Take that mutha fukkas!

or

Detectives break into a house and find a disabled witch reading a book. She pulls out a wand and curses the officers ... :D I am joking but this is fantasy too.

:lol:

It is not a documentary. This is just a fantasy. In some guys head in his bedroom on a Macbook drinking coffee.

As such they could have slightly tweaked the script really quite easily to have had a work around here. They wanted 'trans-currency' and wrote it in such a way where it was blooming obvious . This is a problem we will face more and more - especially with very passable transwomen in particular, as how else will the writers tell the audience they are trans? Well maybe the audience no longer needs to know. Does it matter? People will Google them anyway if they are fans.

I mean Burt Kwouk has probably played every oriental role there has been, I mean the fact he is Chinese did not stop him being cast in Tenko as a Japanese Officer for example. We can go check, but do we really care that a Chinese man is playing someone Japanese or Korean? Or from the Philippines? Or Cambodia? Or in say the Vietnam War? Some could say, "Well they all look alike." That is a racist argument he could've actually use should he so wish. "WHAT YOU THINK I LOOK JAPANESE? HOW DARE YOU!" But he was an actor and needed the work and who cares? Trans may have to begin to think this way too. I worry more about the way non transpeoiple treat us than transpeople on telly because there are so few trans on the telly. And the writer of this is not trans. And made the trans character a bit of a weirdo (AGAIN!).

THE ACTRESS as I said did a great job of that - and kudos for that! But still a 'weirdo' nonetheless!

This was a good cameo, but I think the media are still not doing enough, this is way off, as will tokenistic minority programmes. This all happened with the Gay community, Anyone remember Rhona? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0131709/ Here is a fine example of a well known Lesbian woman and her TV career - she had a lesbian sitcom (probably like the transgender one that is coming as its focus was on a very limited market). But it was 14 years ago. Then Sue Perkins tried it and it went down like a tonne of bricks last year. It just doesn't really work anymore as the world has moved on I think. Far better to have a Gay man in 'Coronation Street' like this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Cotton and forget it! I keep wondering why trans are not good enough for Children's BBC or 'Blue Peter' or 'Eastenders'? Just stick a trans*woman or man in that. But they can't really 'milk' that - it is almost too easy! [yesss] :roll:

It just become tokenistic otherwise, and tokenism results in the raping of trans culture, and exploiting every finite detail with permission of a transperson who is there for pay. But rarely a trans writer. Like Burt who was pretending to be Japanese - did he really care(?) the script was what he had to read and the director told him where to stand and do as he is told.

People hated 'Ticked off Trannies With Knives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticked-Off ... ith_Knives)' but at least the cast were authentic even if they were wooden! The irony now is with cult films like "Sharknado!" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2724064/) LOL TOTWK is actually quite good =) I showed some of it to the gang and they were really into it =) Not a fan of the title but there you go! :shrugs:

I am a cynic, and few people do things in television out of the goodness of their hearts - there is almost ALWAYS an angle. It is our job to find out what that angle is or was I guess? [yesss]

TLDR :lol: :lolno: :makeupx: :clap: :tongueoutx: :gigglersx: :-)
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30