Embarrassing Bodies - Channel 4 - Dawn Transsexual

Media and Television that affects the trans community.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Embarrassing Bodies - Channel 4 - Dawn Transsexual

Postby Ice Maiden » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 pm

---

Embarrassing Bodies
24/07
Channel 4

Medical series. Dr Pixie helps a young man with a six-year-long posterior problem. Dr Christian meets Dawn, a transitioning male to female transsexual.

Comment

"There is much more to Dawn's story than wanting a proper prosthetic!"

And this is what I suppose is the 'money shot' in television terms. It would have been great if they had said Dawn needs a prosthetic, Dawn needs a breast augmentation, and Dawn needs a Tummy Tuck and Dawn Needs her teeth fixed.

And left the trans issues aside - no need to mention them. Imagine that if the show could have done that? But they can't, as that was what the show needs. They can get all the other issues I suspect by the lorry load, but the trans 'sell' is actually greater here than all the other ailments put together.

I mean is she any more deserving than say a war veteran who has lost both legs?

The fact the show also lead with 'The Transsexual' as its opener is quite telling also. With a world of illness and disease to choose from Transsexuals still are top dollar!

ImageC4

On the one hand this is positive as a woman - who looked remarkably like Judy Finnigan - here has got a better quality of life with the medical care she needed, but it is also kinda sad that transpeople have to hope a television company will rescue them rather than the NHS or their GP.

Imagec4

Some might say it is empowering to have a transperson having this care on television, well yes it is for her! But not for all those watching that will never get this - it is titilating for non-transpeople to gawp at. But in my experience this creates a world of hurt for transpeople watching and may well lead to tears rather than smiles - "HERE IS WHAT YOU COULD HAVE WON!" Never mind eh?!

EB has dealt with these issues before, they have already done tummy tucks following weight loss, and of course a number of Breast Augmentations. Its a popular theme - especially when they are petty - yeah sad that isn't it. Many of the young women who have them were good looking.

Their resident dentist has also taken on many a dodgy mouth. However, Dawn needed a prosthetic leg. And this was to me the actual 'story'. But this was swamped by being transsexual.

She is a woman who needed a leg. The rest is leverage really. There is this idea that there is a queue of people like something from the Bible lined up in front of some X-Factor panel asking. "So what is wrong with you?"
"Just no feet?"
"Hmmm, thats not enough, you should see the 'talent' we already have in there! Can you throw in deafness?"
"I'll raise you a skin disorder! And a Gender Dysphoria!"
"NICE!" "You are on the shortlist!"

Imagec4
Black Bar added by us - obviously the show shows it all.

I think they would call her a 'box checker' in terms of medical television audience interest. As maybe it no longer enough just to have a disability - but to be trans as well.

Maybe the next transperson will have to have all of the above and maybe cancer and one hand, and no ears or worse to get a chance?

It may sound absurd but it is going that way!

My only concern was that there was too much focus on her as a trans* woman rather than all the other issues - 'Trans-Currency' sells and still does? When it doesn't will be when progress will have been made! As that will be 'normalisation' and not worth mentioning. See here for more on that and why it has such great value! http://blog.transgenderzone.com/?p=1043

Jenny-Anne Bishop congratulated her at the end (see below) that was a surpise - she doesn't half get around. Jenny-Anne is a regular on our Monday Show, she was in the recent one on 'Sparkle' see http://youtu.be/7zZANlz1lTk

Imagec4

Imagec4

Jenny-Anne herself had Facial Feminisation and Breast Augmentation in a previous series of this same show in 4 years ago - we have it archived (see below).

Maybe if you need medical care forget Charing Cross call her ;) :shrugs:

Almost identical shot to that above. 2010

Imagec4

Imagec4

Seriously though this for most this is a pipe dream. As FFS costs around ÂŁ20,000. And Dawn's probably more. So it must be said that whilst I have the greatest respect for those involved, it does very little for those watching who are on a low income struggling. It could make them actually quite ill and trigger depression.

One wonders why this care is not available on the NHS and Channel 4 have now become what appears to be the only hope for lucky transpeople (and many others who have been seriously let down by the NHS) looking for the treatment they need?

So whilst I am happy for her, the fact Dawn has to be paraded on national television like an exhibit to 'pay' for the surgeon's own ego and self-promotion and of course television ratings - I am still a little saddened by this show and what it exposes - pun intended.

It is an salacious entertainment show pretending to care about you. "Drop your pants love let's have a look!" In any other sphere this would be 'Operation YewTree' territory!.

I mean there was one man on this very show who had suffered and could not even sit down. Just who are their inadequate GP's and maybe the show should expose them and their obvious professional failings, and get them the correct NHS care they need? Rather than fill the gap with what is a make-over show. And out of the reach of practically all of us watching.

If it is unavailable on the NHS - then why is that? They could campaign for it and name and shame.

Whilst this is lovely for Dawn and Jenny, where does it leave trans people who do not have a Television Production Company's select them for treatment and write the cheques?

It may cause more harm than good as body dysmorphic trans people will see just how lucky some are - it is like watching people who win the lottery in the newspaper smiling back at us. Good for them!

Past Transgender people Include Adeleh who wanted a FFS Forehead scar covered up with hair implants and buttock implants fixed that she had abroad.

Imagec4

Watch Now
Series 8 Episode 4
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/emba ... od#3730087

---
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Embarrassing Bodies - Channel 4 - Dawn Transsexual

Postby Ice Maiden » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:10 am

Hashtag heal me! #healme :|
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “Transgender Media and Television”