Luke Anderson - Sarah Savage on Alan Titchmarsh Show Review

Media and Television that affects the trans community.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Luke Anderson - Sarah Savage on Alan Titchmarsh Show Review

Postby Ice Maiden » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 pm

---

The Alan Titchmarsh Show
19/03
ITV1

Teatime chat and live music with Alan Titchmarsh and his guests.

The story was about Julie Hesmondhalgh and after 15 years is hanging up her anorak for the last time on Coronation St later this year.

We were there right at the beginning of her story and you can read our exclusive interview here we had with her all those years ago. http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2487

At that time it was, as she said back then, just for a 'ratings shocker', but as time went on Julie quickly settled in as 'an eccentric' on the street being teamed up with the other 'oddball', Roy Cropper. Nothing wrong with being odd. But this meant Julie had now written off many potential storylines that would be age appropriate. She as a result became very old before her time. Almost a thirty something in pensioner clothing.

The years ticked by, we saw Hayley kidnap a foster son, her pumping a rail cart to get to a wedding, even a stint in Transylvania (where else?) as a spin off DVD. But sadly nothing captured the raw pain of abuse those first few months initially delivered when Les Battersby shouted across the road, "OI,OI! Harold!" And Mike Baldwin gathered the factory girls to point and mock her saying, "Ear she used to be a fellah!!!" And smiling. The factory girls refusing to let her use the bathroom.

These are all issues still relevant today. And do not easily go away. The fact she never faced further transphobia ans new people came and went was a mistake and gives the impression the world is far more tolerant than it is - news just in it ain't we are still hearing the same problems today as we did 15 years ago. The media are partly to blame as you well know if you follow or media review, logs and awards.

So I have already said how I think her story should end, that she should be murdered in a transphobic hate-crime attack after a few months of unrelenting street abuse and criminal damage to her property - spray on the walls of her cafe for example. To demonstrate this still goes on. And no matter how hard we try there is always that risk on every corner and at ever turning. She will probably leave in a taxi. But she should leave as she arrived with a BANG! It would also upset a lot of viewers that this is still possible in 2013!

Image ITV

So on to Alan Titchmarsh. Fortunately I was not hired to speak about this issues as they would have run out of time :) and would probably have been restrained by security LOL. :gigglersx: :lol:

Image ITV

Image ITV

The much more media savvy Luke Anderson (Big Brother) check out his interview here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSHoeBNa ... OA&index=9 and his time-line in the 'Big Brother' House there viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3040 .

Image ITV

Also invited was Sarah (My Transsexual Summer) Savage. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2498 and a token psychologist - well they better have some legitimacy. Maybe when they invite on a Soap Star they should invite a psychiatrist and police officer. After all they are always being arrested? I jest but you know. Luke likely knows more about his condition that someone from central casting medical.

Sarah spoke about coming to terms with being trans in a small community on Jersey - "Noone has ever heard of a transperson in Jersey before", she retorts. I have a sneaking suspicion the Germans when they invaded n the Second World War may have brought a few ;)

Image ITV
A rather worrying Hayley Kong above Alan ready to grab him at any moment - bit distracting!

So how did it go?

Luke was keen to raise the issue that maybe it is now time to have a trans actor in a trans role - no-one disagreed with him - especially not me as we had discussed this in the past together. He raised it, it was said and that alone made it all worth while!

Alan - "But Julie who plays Hayley is not a transsexual she is a woman...[dodgy comment Alan, transwomen are women, but I know what he meant] does that upset you [Luke]?"
Luke - "In 1998 when she first joined it was so exciting - a breath of fresh air! Now we're in 2013. I really believe we need a trans person playing a trans character. But I am not upset about her - she's done a fantastic job. "

I couldn't have said it better myself! It was like a line from Shakespeare perfectly timed, delivered and agreed upon. Job done Luke!

Alan

Alan was a gentleman presenter, he has a very gentle touch and was warm and smiling throughout. An this is likely issue that he has seen before I suspect from his Pebble Mill days... He did make one error that April Ashley was the first documented transsexual - not by a long shot - so a bit of a slip up there. But this does show how easy misinformation can rewrite history. When people claim 'firsts' which is my 'pet hate' atm it then quickly spreads to the ignorant viewer and walks roughshod over those that have made a significant historical contribution to our community. I will correct them if they occur - sorry.

Luke got the opportunity to give a quick bite-sized bio about his life - of course listen to our interview if you want a marathon version here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSHoeBNa ... OA&index=9

*They had both a transman and a transwoman on the show rather than one or the other - important!
*Luke has a high enough profile, relaxed and is handsome enough to sell what he has to say to perhaps what is an uncomfortable viewer. By contrast I would ended up being stoned by the audience LOL :wave: :silent: :shh:
*Sarah dressed appropriately in a nice top and jeans, very casual young woman about town. I mean she could have gone in with a basque, stilettos and stockings and sussies - so 'normalises' transwomen as just like anybody else. - nice(!) I liked that.

DISLIKES

Not enough time given to the issues, cut short to talk about bootcut jeans and pets. You know on a scale of one to ten this at least deserved 5 more minutes.

A psychologist (Anjula Mutanda) being sat there in case Luke needed a straight-jacket ;) :noway: :roll: :lol: Sorry Luke - you know I am joshing ;) But you can see what I mean. She also used up the trans guest's talk-time.

Alan stated that Luke was so passable no-one would ever know - however he didn't say the same about Sarah and that's maybe something he could have balanced better. Alan says to Sarah - "You have still got a long way to go and your vocal tones need raising to?!
Cheers thanks for that Alan - where is my sleeping tablets. :wtf:

Alan was naturally curious about what they do in bed - but toned down for a pre-watershed audience. Luke and Sarah deflected well saying, "if you love each other it makes no difference." Alan writes saucy books and literature so this is something his mind was doing cartwheels with - I could hear a Ferris Wheel and fairground music coming from here ears at that point (Homer Simpson imagination Joke).

So Overall a good show by the pair. I am happy but then again its not about me. I think the audience liked them too - I could tell ;)

Image 4/5 TZ Stars - Good. Would have been 5 but for the negatives and the inaccuracies of his research regarding April Ashley. But 5 Stars for Luke and Sarah and their relaxed personas.
---
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Return to “Transgender Media and Television”