Review: The Shooting Gallery - Channel 4.

Media and Television that affects the trans community.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Review: The Shooting Gallery - Channel 4.

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:30 am

Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Review: The Shooting Gallery - Channel 4 Hosted by Paris Lee

Postby Ice Maiden » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:07 am

Shooting Gallery
19/02
Channel 4

A series of short films presented by Paris Lees.

Introduced by Channel 4 as A collection of original films about transgender people, brought to you by the UK's first transgender presenter, Paris Lees.

Well Paris is not the first transgender presenter that is just silly, I have Prof Stephen Whittle OBE standing here

Image(BBC)
Stephen presenting 'Heart of the Matter' in the early 90s. And plenty more have done so before and since.

Apart from what has been said in previous chats about 'the Shooting Gallery'.

Upsides

'something' trans shown on the telly.

Image (Image: Channel 4).

Positives

Paris Lees was not bad really she seemed to get better as time went on, but all a bit pouty and reminded me a bit of Lizzie Huang the presenter in this show called 'the Blurb' http://ginx.tv/presenters seems to be a similar presenting style. A bit DJ Speek in the style, I also say 'ENJOY!' too in podcasts :P

Negatives

Downsides

Is again the hour which it was on - we are supposed to be grateful for this? We will be in the Sign-language deaf zone at 3 am soon - yeah they can't sleep either it seems.

Other downside is these bloody 'firsts' that seem to have reached epidemic levels, there are no firsts :) Sorry guys it has all been done before - well not 'all' still working on that :)

*The Boy who was Born a Girl

Paris says, 'I have saved the Pioneering film (The Boy who was Born a Girl) that changed it all', again 'pioneering' suggests firsts, but this is not the case and not by a long way. Want proof what about this from the 90s

I dug it out the archives especially. There we see a young Peggy Cohen-Kettenis talking to a group of young English FTMS who traveled to Holland to find out about what was on offer there for trans men, and their phalloplasties etc - that was a very big programme packed with young teen trans men and looked at their surgery with input from Gooren and others, That's real quality telly but forgotten. In that there was a Schoolboy pictured who went back to school as Rick, there was a follow up 'docu short' to check up on his progress later.

So they beat you to it I am afraid there have been others of course but this sprang to mind.
Plus (TBWWBAG) it is a repeat from 2009 I think. Presenters really must do their research here, ignoring it just either upsets those that went before and did a better job, they ain't all dead yet you know, or it just makes the research for the show look dumb.

*The music video for the song "Hey Jane".

In the next film We then see the classic hooker stereotype of Tyra Sanchez giving bl*wjobs, then her face is smashed in to music her son shoots the assailant in the head (a scene similar to that is in 'Hit and Miss' Sky Atlantic), is Tyra trans? Thought she was a Drag Queen?

I think if anyone has ever seen this film

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Girl_Lik ... aujo_Story ) then seeing this gratuitous trans violence for the sake of it was what seemed a lazy homage to 'Smack My b*tch Up' - I mean a pop song is too short for there to be any real time to develop this issue and was just cynical. Like parents can do without thinking their child will be doing this in a few years cos they crossdress.

Either way with so much great stuff out there to choose from so many sources, chances were missed. I mean you could have seen the real thing in this 'Hollywood Vice' 2002 about a Transgender Prostitute ( viewtopic.php?f=47&t=720 )
The music video for 'Spiritualized' is online here in HD http://vimeo.com/38873171

Next

*Meg, Doug and Me,

as said before this has been online for yonks to watch, withdrawn only when I mentioned it :) they panicked and the creators deleted their whole video site.

Still we all have a copy now I guess courtesy of tivo. It is very similar to 'Sex Change Soldier' although that did have a bigger budget I s'pose, and I get the feeling that the film maker here was just too late in the transition of his pal for it to feel correct, like an afterthought, it is an interesting perspective told from a mate's pov. Nothing wrong with it, just very much of a sameness to other documentaries of its ilk. The Piano Score Music as said previously would have been better suited to COOP Funeral Care than a celebration of womanhood.

CONCLUSION

I think looking back at this whole Shooting Gallery programme Paris was probably the best thing in it - bet you never thought I'd say that, but hey watch it all again as a block and you'll see what I mean. I can also see why the programme makers so desperately needed her in what is a hotchpotch to say the least.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the- ... od#3480860
CAUTION HAS SCENES OF A VIOLENT AND SEXUAL NATURE - CHARMING! ;)
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Return to “Transgender Media and Television”