Ria: Diary of a Teen Transsexual Information and Support

Media and Television that affects the trans community.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ria: Diary of a Teen Transsexual Information and Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:27 am

Ria: Diary of a Teen Transsexual

Diary of a Teen Transsexual - Features - Further Information and Support - Channel 4
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/ria- ... nd-support

If you have found this page from the link above at Channel 4, welcome.

If you need support please visit our Agony Section - where you can post as a guest. If you would like to register you can also view the blog area.

Or simply feel free to take a look at the forums.
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ria: Diary of a Teen Transsexual Channel 4 Review

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:30 am

Review

One-off film that charts the ups and downs of one of Britain's youngest transsexuals.

Image (image: Popkorn/Channel 4)

Ria - Diary of a Teen Transsexual
Channel 4
12/06

Gritty, urban, young, boys, sex, prostitution, poverty, gender dysphoria, stress, unemployment, Ria does it all in 2 years as we follow here life on a tough estate. How she deals with boy's attention, her scraps with other girls, her ever masculinising body is at odds with her gender needs.

This is by far the most important flow of the documentary, and a tag the producers seems to have hung the show on, to be 'the youngest surgically altered TS on the NHS'. I think when they started this in 2009 (when she was 15) this looked far more clear-cut (no pun intended) than it ended up as. I felt that this was a bit of a disappointment for the general feel of the programme.

In other words, its initial goals as far as a documentary went failed and left the programme in the air, now 18 and nothing has moved on. Even with the best efforts of the Tavistock clinic (for younger transpeople) prepared to prescribe her 'blockers', that she didn't take, a caring mother and step father who seemed perfectly fine about her having surgery, and felt she needed it to be like the other girls and girl friends who truly seemed to accept Ria as one of their own, even scrapping in a tent on holiday. Her increasing power as a male soon overwhelmed her more diminutive friends leading to some in street confrontations and at one point she was 'read' by some lads and this turned nasty - no longer able to pass as well as she once did. They even sent her for a photoshoot with Paris Lees, who suggested she start her hormones.

But she is seen in the final scenes on holiday in Spain with her friends and seems more or less in the same position she was when it all started.

Maybe this is where she needs to be(?), there are plenty of transpeople who remain 'pre-op' and are quite happy.

The only sad thing was the term 'tranny' was used by one of her friends about her, 'not looking like one', exactly who is this poor benchmark who is so abused? And the term 'Ladyboy' is raised, but in the context of advertising Ria as a 'Ladyboy' for a brothel.

Both times they were said they were not her words rather words and terms used by others about her.

Its 'in context' but a real shame.

This is often the case now, the negative labels, she-male, tranny and ladyboy, are terms others use about the transgender community. You can say no to this here.
http://saynototranny.transgenderzone.com/

The 7 hour coach trip - cos she could not afford the train says it all about child services in the UK in regard to transpeople! And I suspect in no small part why she hasn't been back! NHS patients should have free train fare subsidised by the government (especially minors!), that would save them the cost of local services - and stop this daft situation where people are too sick to get the care they need. People phone for ambulances as they cannot afford a taxi. That's absurd. Its like calling the Fire Brigade to fill up a paddling pool.

Conclusion

An engaging look at the coming of age of a transgender teen, it did feel the desire for others to push her forwards which muddied the waters somewhat. I never really heard what Ria actually felt, everyone else seems to have known more about who she was than she did - which was odd. Her mother seemed to be a great support here and no matter what path Ria took she was there steadfast behind her defending her honour - she was great!

"Despite being the only Transsexual on the estate, Ria's friends have always accepted her as one of the girls."

Despite Ria's somewhat diva'ish antics in scenes that seemed straight out of 'Shameless' her friends were strong and tolerated it. They could so easily have closed ranks and shut her out. I thought a young lad about 10 - her neighbour was funny when he said, "sometimes she gets boys and she doesn't tell them that she's a boy, and they actually think she's a girl, she talked like a girl, but she's really a boy, they don't find out really so they just get on with it!" :)

Worth watching.

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Ria: Diary of a Teen Transsexual Information and Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 am

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Steffi

Postby Steffi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 pm

The entire program was a disappointment and regarding public perception it didn't do us as a group any favours either.
I thought she was stupid throughout.
She apparently had absolutely zero background knowledge of the trans process and went to London expecting to book her operation. How is it possible to be so ill informed in this day and age? Apart from the internet and sites like ourselves, there have been many trans documentaries on television.

She should have taken the hormones and blockers when given them - in fact, she should have sought them long before then. Some of the changes which have taken place in the two wasted years will be irreversible or very costly to effect. Facial hair alone will probably now cost her a lot of money, plus the pain and inconvenience.
Had she taken the T blockers, she would have been in a much more settled frame of mind generally and also untroubled by the rampant sexual arousal of male puberty.

Instead of being focused primarily on achieving her transition she was focused on getting drunk with her friends and initiating extremely risky sexual liasons which she was physically unable to consumate fully as a woman. She had a stable and supportive home environment which she left simply to avoid a degree of parental discipline that seemed quite reasonable to me.

On the camping trip, she broke the one rule that she had been asked to keep and then had a physical brawl about it when reprimanded. Not at all a smart move, especially when it is her landlady.
Her general public behaviour was loutish and annoying.

Getting excluded from Jobseekers Allowance was typical of her general bad attitude. It doesn't take much effort to meet the requirements of the Jobcentre - I know - I have played this game a very long time. Scan the adverts in the local paper and send off a couple of futile job-applications per week, sign-on every fortnight and attend any interviews which the Jobcentre do set up for you. It isn't difficult to appear as an undesirable employee without overtly turning down the job. Alternatively, one can attend an educational course and gain a skill or qualification - it's not as if she's overqualified.
Her travel woes arose from this situation. Having made no contributions, her JSA would have been income-based and travel costs to and from the GIC fully covered.

I also found it disturbing that she could even contemplate reverting to a male role.

I am in general a helpful and sympathetic person. I have helped a lot of people and not just with trans issues. But I would have cut her loose very quickly.

I am appalled that someone with so much going for them can make such a mess of everything - but then I'm nearing 60 and a long way from 16.
Contact me privately via "steffi AT transgenderzone DOT com" Click to see Who I am

To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fix your plan, Take me as I am (Dreamtheatre - As I Am)

my trans-ness viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5401&p=45640#p45351

Some (mostly rough) tracks of my prior life as a guitarist up on You-Tube, if you want to check them out
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8QKYu ... zkA/videos

Tamsin

Postby Tamsin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:56 pm

found the whole thing to be rather sad..........

have to say after all the good-ish work channel 4 have done this rather takes away any brownie points in my book.

Tamsin

Return to “Transgender Media and Television”