Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC)

For topics that do not apply to the other available forums.
JustMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC)

Postby JustMe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Time to bump this one to the top again :gigglersx: .

Time is quickly whizzing by and so my partner (still my wife on paper) and indeed my soul mate and I have started to discuss the GRC.

So, if I applied for mine (post surgery) we want to be sure that nothing affects pensions and rights compared to now as we are still legally married (as man and woman). So in the event that something happens to one of us, the other will have rights to pensions etc.

When a person gets a GRC, does the recognition take effect right back to the Birth Date and if so - are any of the usual pension rights etc changed or do they only come into effect from the date of getting the GRC?

I think what I'm asking is - is it basically changing your sex legally from birth and that everything else stays the same (I know we can legally be married now as two women even though we wouldn't be a lesbian married couple).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Kerry x.
Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world right in the eye.--Helen Keller

Take the Bull by the Horns - Face a difficulty and grapple with it without avoiding it.

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyse you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.--Bernice Johnson Reagon

MTF (as long as I can remember)
52 years young :D

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Caveat I am no lawyer and it has been a long time since I was at the coal-face so to speak with this one.
My advice first and foremost would be to ask this exact question here!
https://www.gov.uk/apply-gender-recogni ... our-gender
Send the form with the application fee to the Gender Recognition Panel.

Gender Recognition Panel
PO Box 9300
Leicester
LE1 8DJ

Gender Recognition Panel
grpenquiries@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 1234503

OK The main issue here is that pension ages change, and also same-sex marriage has come in and changed some elements - there is also pressure to make more changes. Originally one had to dissolve a marriage for example. Again I am not certain as never being in this position it never affected me. But thats usually a sticking point.

Regarding pensions, this may also be an issue with your pension provider who may see this as a way to take advantage. It is I suppose complicated and varies from person to person.

But as far as I am aware once you apply for a GRC. You are basically born female in law (in this instance) your BC (Birth Certificate) will say GIRL! That's amazing thing to see for the first time!

Probably one of the most significant moments of many transwomen's lives.

As it takes time for the paper-work proper to be done the GRC protects you in law during that time until your BC turns up on the mat (order 10)!

Click here to see a Gender Recognition Certificate!
http://library.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2342
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

JustMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JustMe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi Sam,

Thanks very much. It's such a pain because the websites are still out of date since the same sex marriage laws changed.

I've sent off an email to the enquiries address you provided in the hope I can get some answers.

Kerry x.
Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world right in the eye.--Helen Keller

Take the Bull by the Horns - Face a difficulty and grapple with it without avoiding it.

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyse you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.--Bernice Johnson Reagon

MTF (as long as I can remember)
52 years young :D

Christine

Postby Christine » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:43 am

In general terms of applying for the GRC, Dr Lorimer suggested I phone their helpline when filling in their application: apparently they're quite helpful. I've read elsewhere people running into problems with the application as some of the guidelines are ambiguous or contradictory and others just wrong, so some care needs to be taken, especially as I understand there are limitations on re-applying. The Panel are described as being very pedantic and for some reason they consider it a benefit that they refuse to discuss the matter with anyone who might be able to help sort out any queries such as the applicant's GP. God knows why the process seems to be so unnecessarily difficult. Anyway, rant aside, actually speak to them to make sure everything is in order!

As far as pensions go, I have only the most tenuous grasp of the situation without factoring trans issues into it, but I figure Sam's caution about them taking advantage is worth taking note of, said as much for my own benefit as anyone else's. I wish there was such a thing as a truly independent, good financial adviser, but I've no idea how I would find such a creature. I think I'd probably be more successful if I embarked on a quest to find a pair of breeding unicorns.

Casaluna

Postby Casaluna » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Last edited by Casaluna on Wed May 13, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”