CRB checks for transsexual people

For topics that do not apply to the other available forums.
Cassie
Premium Member
Premium Member

CRB checks for transsexual people

Postby Cassie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:41 pm

If you wish to apply for a job working with children or vulnerable people in the UK you will need to get clearance from the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB).

If you do not wish your prospective employer to know your gender history you will have to send details of your previous identity to the Sensitive Casework Manager at the CRB. The CRB will then check the data sources held against both current and previous names. This avoids the need for disclosure of your gender history or former name to your employer (unless you have a conviction), but allows the CRB to carry out the requisite checks against any previously held identities.

You will need to contact the Sensitive Casework Manager on 0870 90 90 811 or write to:
Sensitive Casework Manager
Freepost NWW5699A
PO Box 165
Liverpool
L3 1ZY
www.crb.gov.uk

This applies even without a GRC.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement Wigstore Uk In Derm Transgender Hair Removal Hormone Database

Flameboy

Re: CRB checks for transsexual people

Postby Flameboy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Is this new information? The FAQ about trans people on the CRB website gives the phone number as 0151 676 1452 and an email address (CRBSensitive@crb.gsi.gov.uk) but no mailing address.

I used them a few months ago, and they were excellent. Despite the fact that they were mid-office move, they were quick and efficient. I didn't need to send them any evidence of my previous name; that was all done over the phone. I completed my CRB form in the usual way, with no mention at all of having a previous name. My name, date of birth and address were flagged, so that when my form was received by the CRB it was directed straight to the CRB sensitive team, who ran the checks using my old details as well as my new, and returned it with no mention of my previous name.

As Cassie says, however, if something comes up on your record, currently it will be disclosed under your previous name, so if you think this might happen to you then be aware that you will be outed to your employer through this.

Millie

Postby Millie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:43 pm

This kind of thing really upsets me as I have a very, very minor offence on my record that was a drunken mistake when I was sixteen years old. no employer has ever cared about it as it was minor and a whole lifetime ago, but it does show up on the enhanced disclosure, so I guess that that one mistake as a child stops me from having any right to confidentiality ever. Sounds fair! :x
Advancing to what?

snowdoggy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby snowdoggy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Millie wrote:This kind of thing really upsets me as I have a very, very minor offence on my record that was a drunken mistake when I was sixteen years old. no employer has ever cared about it as it was minor and a whole lifetime ago, but it does show up on the enhanced disclosure, so I guess that that one mistake as a child stops me from having any right to confidentiality ever. Sounds fair! :x

I have been told that "minor offences" and also some "major offences" are FULLY cleared from your record after 5 years?

Have I been misinformed?

John
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Millie

Postby Millie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:01 am

Most companies that require a CRB will only ask for a standard disclosure and as soon as the sentence is 'spent' then it is erased. However if you work in some very sensitive areas, as I have, then they will have everything that you have done since you were about fourteen I think, if this is an issue it is worth finding out what kind of CRB check they require. I already knew about this but didn't realise that there was no way of changing the name that it is disclosed under. Perfect end to a shitty day really. :(
Advancing to what?

Return to “General”