UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up May 2015

Every month we list UK programmes the feature transgender issues good and bad. If you work in the media this is a must see monthly list.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up May 2015

Postby Ice Maiden » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:41 am

From the

So here we go again!

What is broadcast in the UK reflects on you as a transperson. Every month it is a case of spot the positives. Almost all television featuring anything remotely associated with transpeople is negative, comical or are negative stereotypes. So if we do not list them they go unchallenged as evidence is needed to effect change! Or even give awards.

It is a thankless and time-consuming task - as you can imagine especially when a trans character is introduced ... Nevertheless rest assured someone is watching even if you can't.

High Points
Grayson Perry's Dream House

Low points
Jerry Springer

=========================================

Daily Politics -
28/04/2015
BBC2

Andrew Neil and Jo Coburn with the latest election news, interviews and debate.

Image BBC

Gender qu*er Class War Party Candidate appears on the show.

Comment

Gender qu*er Candidate Adam Clifford puts their case for a revolution in thinking and campaigns in Soho. This was made even more interesting by Boris Johnson's Dad saying the following after a rather articulate and well structured argument from Adam.

Image BBC

"Can I ask another thing, I want to know why he is dressed up as a woman?!"

Image BBC

"Because this is part of Gender Politics, because it is part of being qu*er and I am a gay man, I've been married twice and have got two children, I've got nothing to hide, I love being working class, and I love doing politicas in this way."

Touche'!

---

Jerry Springer
01/05
Pick

Hookers and Hook-Ups: Outrageous talk show hosted by the legendary Jerry Springer.

Comment

This was a bit of a shame really as the one time (of very few times) where a partner actually guessed they were trans but it didn't bother them the title below said 'Hookers'.

---

Louis Theroux - Transgender Kids
01/05
BBC TWO

Documentary. Louis travels to San Francisco where medical professionals are helping children with gender dysphoria transition from boy to girl or girl to boy. Contains upsetting scenes. [AD,S,SL]

Comment

(REPEAT with Signing for the BBC Deaf Zone Late at night) See
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4733

---

Live at the Apollo
02/05
BBC THREE

Stand-Up comedian Tim Vine sings a song -

#"If a girl wears trousers she's still a girl, when your dad wears lipstick...ALARM BELLS, ALARM BELLS alarm Bells!"

(Audience laughs)

---

Jerry Springer
05/05
Pick

Lies and Lesbians: Outrageous talk show hosted by the legendary Jerry Springer.

Comment

Passable black transman comes out and is abused

---

New - Tattoo Disasters - UK
05/05
Spike

Documentary series. Transgender taxi driver Melissa who, now that her hopes of being part of the project to colonise Mars have been dashed, wants her space tat scratched. (S1 Ep 2)

Comment

Spike? Appropriate channel ;) all things considered. Not dissimilar to the last series where another transgender woman wanted a tatt removed.

The story is that she had it in anticipation of being selected as an astronaught for the Mars One expedition but even though she made the final 1000 or so she was dropped and now wants the memory gone.

The ultimate escape eh? Transphobic even on Mars? Nevah! They probably wanted young fertile Adam and Eves I guess?

Image Spike

Image Spike

OK and inclusive.

---

Kinky Boots (2005)
05/07
BBC TWO

British comedy. A Northampton shoe factory is on the verge of closing down, unable to compete with cheap Third World imports. The reluctant and desperate owner is inspired by an outrageous drag queen to switch production to saucy footwear for transvestites - to the despair of his fiance and the shop floor. An Ealing comedy for the Ann Summers generation.

Comment

Based on a shoe Factory struggling with Chinese imports in a BBC 2 Series 'Trouble at the Top' this embelished version adds a bit more of a stoyline to entertain. Large kinky footware for the larger of foot. Harmless and necessary as we all know.

I have reviewed it 10 years ago. Suffice it to say. Just atypical British style, in the same vein as the The Full Monty (1997), or Calendar Girls (2003) or for US readers similar comedy to 'To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar'(1995) or 'The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' (1994). So although light-hearted, it has it's poignant moments too.

Could have been worse let's put it like that ;) If you have not seen it it is worth watching. Plus the lead transgender character was a black actor. So that was a great casting move for it's time for a comedy!

Image bbc

"Please god don't tell me I have inspired something burgundy?!"

---

The Wright Stuff
07/05
Channel 5

Matthew Wright hosts the topical debate show along side this week's panelists Zoe Lyons and Alexis Conran. Today's guests are Kathleen Rose Perkins and Laura Hamilton.

Comment

The news story raised the topic 'Let boys wear skirts to school'.

As always Well handled.

---

Jerry Springer Double Bill
07/05
Pick

Keith Lemon presents the outrageous comedy panel show. Radio 1 DJ Fearne Cotton, TV presenter Holly Willoughby and regular panellist Gino D'Acampo welcome singer Ella Eyre, TV presenter Emma Willis and comedian Chris Ramsey to their teams. Also featuring special guest Joey Essex.

Comment

Kieth was rescued somewhat here by Emma Willis.

Emma Willis and Holly have the same agent (not sure about Leigh Francis) in the past I have raised concerns about Leigh's often what can only be seen as transphobic comments as they are cruel and hurtful thats what that is.

Now, in the past he had mocked Nadia Almada who won Big Brother in 2004 mocking even her genitals - search for it on this site. However, Emma has been a regula Transgender Television Award recipient from us, and when Keith showed a picture of Nadia I took a bit of a deep breath. He asked a contestant who she was. The contestant said....Erm Nadia? As Emma Presents Big Brother. Emma cheered Yay! And Keith took it no further! Few! Now I have no idea if it was something she said in the running order or if he has some sort of moral compass now. But it was better - so thats something albeit a small mercy - it is still progress!

---

Alan Carr - Chatty Man
08/05
Channel 4

Alan Carr hosts his own light-hearted chat show. Alan is joined by Hollywood star Anna Kendrick, comedian Lee Mack and actor Danny Dyer. Music comes from Clean Bandit, who perform their latest single Stronger.

Comment

Lee Mack was Alan's guest and sadly he returns to mocking transgender people once again.

Lee is no stranger to this as we have often reported.

Shame yet again he uses intersex as a comical issue. He has children of his own. And what if one of those had been born with a congenital issue that other's mocked? It is actually outrageous and proudly broadcast again by Channel 4. Lee has made other gags about transgender people on his show (that he writes) 'Not Going Out' and that is the BBC now being aired on Dave.

Alan - Let's talk about Kate and Will's new Kid...
Lee Mack - You're Joking! Don't spoil it for me I've recorded it!
Alan Laughs
Lee Mack - I've...I've had a bet on Hermaphrodite! (Waits for the big laugh).
(Alan Laughs - Audience bellows).
Lee Mack - No I mean't the name...
(More laughter).

FULL REVIEW
viewtopic.php?t=4759#p43061

Channel 4

---

Tattoo Disasters - UK (Repeat)
10/05
Spike

Documentary series. Transgender taxi driver Melissa who, now that her hopes of being part of the project to colonise Mars have been dashed, wants her space tat scratched. (S1 Ep 2)

Comment

Not similar to the last series where another transgender woman wanted a tat removed.

---

Jerry Springer
12/05
Pick

Past Guest Throwdown, Part 1: Outrageous talk show hosted by the legendary Jerry Springer.

Comment

Trans woman is told in no uncertain terms she is a nasty-assed tr*nny. The irony is they bleeped the "ass"!

It was pretty evenly matched - the outcome was you have to tell everyone you meet informally that you were born a man (for trans*women of course).

(Audience cheers)

No matter what you do no matter that you are a woman who just needs surgery, society simply will not 'allow' this. You are a man in a frock who should tell everyone.

After they were further humiliated by the studio audience in the Q and A section. Talking mainly and laughing about the transgender woman's genitals.

---

The Wright Stuff
13/05
Channel 5

Matthew Wright hosts the topical debate show alongside this week's panelists Yasmin Alibhai-Brown and Stefan Gates. Today's guests are Ben Cohen and Fay Ripley.

Comment

The team discuss the daily star report of 'transgender shopper in changing room ban' and all were outraged by the treatment of this transgender woman.

Matthew and his gang have been again on good form and why he wins our Best Presenter Award annually! See: http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2885

---

Botched
13/05
ITVBe

Vagina Bomb!: Reality series. A transgender star asks doctors to fix her botched breasts, nose and vagina. Meanwhile, Paul tackles a deviated septum.

Comment

Ridiculously attractive trans*woman says she needs more work done!

I think that this was a bad programme, simply because, she is a sex worker and it reinforced every stereotype there is. And anybody watching might wonder why the surgeons agreed to even more surgery when she was fine. Trans*people are often body dysmorphic for obvious reasons. But this I feel can only ever end badly as she is aging all the time. And ain't nothing you can do about that. Sharon Osbourne with all her money and surgery still looks her age - just smoother.

It was a bit sad really. She looked amazing and every op is a risk! She could have come out of it worse than she went in - then what?

#GuildingTheLily!

---

Jerry Springer
14/05
Pick

Hook Ups and Hotheads: Outrageous talk show hosted by the legendary Jerry Springer.

Comment

Transgender woman punched in the face by unsuspecting beau - not good!

---

This Morning
15/05
ITV1

Image itv

Full Review
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4769

---

Jerry Springer
15/05
Pick

Lesbian and Gay Affairs Confessed: Outrageous talk show hosted by the legendary Jerry Springer.

Comment

Transperson assaulted for being trans...

---

The One Show
15/05
BBC One

Captain Hannah Winterbourne appears on the show to talk about being transgender in the army.

Although remember that Lorraine Kelly beat them to it. This episode had more on location at her barracks etc.
viewtopic.php?t=4600

---

QI XL
15/05
Dave
'Girls and Boys'

Stephen Fry gallantly grapples with Girls and Boys in this extended show, including 15 minutes of previously unseen Quite Interestingness. With guests Sandi Toksvig, Ronni Ancona, Jack Dee and Alan Davies.

Comment

In this episode they ask the question how can you tell if a person is male of remale. And they went straight for the Adam's Apple. However that was the catch as many women as Stephen Demonstrated with images on screen cisgender women can and do have Adam's Apples. Ans ome are quite pronounced.

He mentioned Ladyboys can be very convincing.... jeesh!

In that I read to be a woman one must conform to some 'Snow White Princess Fairy Tale female' When in reality it is shopping and drudge!

---

Coronation Street Omnibus
16/05
itv2

Character uses 'Sex-Change' for laughs.

Full Review
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1441&p=43124#p43124

---

Botched
16/05
ITVBe

Repeat (see above)

---

Grayson Perry's Dream House
17/05
Channel 4

Grayson Builds a Dream House but not like any house you have ever seen!

Full Review and Virtual Tour
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4771

Comment

Loved it, And Grayson always manages to slip in some girl fashions at the end. I find it interesting that Grayson was in boy mode for the work, but girl mode for the pleasure... Interesting. And I could not help thinking that the fictituous woman the house was built in memory of was very similar to Grayson! Perhaps a fantasy life Grayson may have lived?

---

8 Out Of 10 Cats - Uncut
17/05
Challenge

Comedian Jimmy Carr hosts the cheeky comedy quiz show about opinion polls. See the most outrageous bits in this uncut special. [S]

Comment

Now Channel 4 have unloaded this onto Challenge!

So still getting paid for such lines as this one delivered by Jimmy Carr and repeated so often across the channels.

Jimmy Carr - "I hate the way hotel beds magically turn what was clearly a beautiful exotic woman the night before, into an unshaven oriental man in the morning!"

There are so many issues wih this joke that breech Channel 4's Memorandum of Understanding they signed to be less transphobic.

1. They are in bed suggesting trans is about sex.
2. If she is a woman she still is a woman in the morning unshaven or not!
3. Cliche' and stereotypical view of stubbled male faces, many transgender owmen are sensitive about this and poverty is called into plays as the NHS rarely fund hair removal.
4. Oriental = Ladyboy = Thailand = Poverty and exploitation. Very few are lucky enough to be in the big showbiz reviews like 'The Ladyboys of Bangkok. Most have to sell themselves to goodness knows who. And be mocked and humiliated by sex tourists.

There thats just a few to be going on with Jimmy...

---

Big Brother's Bigger Bit On The Side
18/05
Channel 5

A round-up of Big Brother-related news and debate with special guests, exclusive footage and behind-the-scenes treats. Presented by Rylan Clark.

Comment

Lauren Harries appears on the panel then does a song half-way through the show.

I hesitate to comment on her singing suffice it to say... Twitter with the hastag #BigBrotherTimeBomb went crazy. Most were screaming "Make it Stop!!!"

LOL Sorry but I think she is better at Antiques and fashion commentary... But it's a turn and she may get a few bookings?

Rylan (the host) was very generous with his praise and applause - #TruePro!

---

On the Buses
21/05
ITV3

The Poster: Sitcom about a bus driver and his conductor pal. The company mounts an advertising campaign to attract more passengers. [S]

Comment many times repeated and mentioned in these logs, this 1960s episode mentions hormones and 'strange' men who change into women... It is interesting to see that so little has changed - Jimmy Carr right now on Channel 4 does the same material!

---

Jerry Springer
22/05
Pick

Gut-wrenching Secrets: Outrageous talk show hosted by the legendary Jerry Springer.

Comment

Transgender woman attacked!

part 2

Jerry Springer
22/05
Pick

I Popped the Question on Springer: Outrageous talk show hosted by the legendary Jerry Springer.

Comment

In the summary where they sit on stage the transgender woman is then subjected to humiliating transphobic comments about how she 'looked like a man' and 'they wouldn't be 'fooled'', etc...

It is disgusting that this is acceptable, would it be OK if a white studio audience member referred to a black person on stgae as a n-word? Even on Springer that would be frowned upon! But Transphobia? Clearly springer never got the memo it is now a new millennium!

---

CSI - New York
22/05
5 USA

The Lying Game: The team investigate the murder of a transgender showgirl, but find the case complicated by the sheer number of suspects. (S3 Ep 14) [AD,S]

Comment - Lying game title based on 'Crying Game Movie about a transgender woman in London. However this was a big break for actress and transgender woman Candis Cayne. So although it begins with her murdered (as they all do) when it flashes back to why, Candis gets plenty of acting work. Candis of course appeared in 'Dirty Sexy Money' and 'Elementary' since. So although 'another' transgender murder in a movie gripes, in this case it was well-balanced with an actual transgender actress acting opportunity so renumeration rather than exploitation via a cisgender woman who would usually act in these roles - she did a pretty good job too though!

---

Hollyoaks
26/05
Channel 4

Teen drama. Phoebe feels pushed out by her family. Kim is on the war path, prompting a dangerous reaction from Grace.

Comment

Nurse who cut off his clothing has footage off the security cam of him wearing female underwear.

And is now using it to her advantage.

---

New- Big Brother's Bit On The Side
28/05
Channel 5

A round-up of Big Brother-related news and debate, with special guests, exclusive footage and behind the scenes treats. Presented by Rylan Clark.

Comment

This was the beginning of Kellie Maloney's Week promoting her upcoming Show about her transitions.

She is an Ex-Housemate on Celebrity Big Brother click here for more on that viewtopic.php?f=140&t=4751

She did great! :)

---

This Morning
29/05
ITV1

Presented by Ruth Langsford and Eamonn Holmes. A look at the day's news and headlines.

Comment

Day 2 of Kellie Maloney promoting her new show. This time on 'This Morning'.

They then gave her a make-over and she looked stunning!

Great stuff. This Morning won our best Daytime Tv Award here http://www.TransgenderTelevisionAwards.com

---

Already a Big Month Next Month (June!) So stay tuned!

Don't have nightmares - Especially Zombie ones lol ;) - see you next time with more of the same I guess?
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Return to “UK Monthly Transgender Television Log”