UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up June 2013

Every month we list UK programmes the feature transgender issues good and bad. If you work in the media this is a must see monthly list.
Ice Maiden
Tech Support
Tech Support

UK Television Transgender Monthly Round up June 2013

Postby Ice Maiden » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Few! Just made it again :)

So here we go it is June doesn't time fly when you are being abused!

So here we go again, what is broadcast in the UK reflects on you as a transperson. Every month it is a case of spot the positives. Almost all television featuring anything remotely associated with transpeople is negative, comical or are negative stereotypes.

High Points
Lady Boys - on Sky/PickTV

Low points are quite simple.
Quick Cuts - BBC Three. Amongst others,,,

Big Brother Luke Thread here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3040
and our blog post about how the show has improved in 12 months here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3235
Read his interview here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSHoeBNa ... OA&index=9

Don't forget our Soap storyline Archive here
Jason Archive in Hollyoaks
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=434&p=18228#p18228

And what has been happening in Coronation St here - not good.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1441&start=10#p16796

All the following clips have been archived for evidential purposes should they be needed.

---

American Dad!
'Stan's Night Out'
01/06
BBC THREE

20/20. Stan's Night Out: On a boys' night out with his CIA colleagues, Stan finds himself stuck in increasingly wild and reckless situations. Contains adult humour. [S]

"Put that gun to good use and shoot my hooker's penis off"

Hmmmm...?

---

Les Dawson - An Audience with That Never Was
01/06
ITV1

Part of my childhood died when Les Dawson and Kenny Everet passed away.

They were both so loveable and had a gentle touch that was non-threatening.

Both of course dabbled with crossdressing and it was very popular in the 80s.

In this Holgram version of Les - very well done and no doubt you had to be there for the true experience. I saw Morcombe and Wise do a dance for comic Relief using the same technology - anyways I digress.

It was of its time, it was funny in that context. Today it is clearly dated, that said it has not stopped Mrs Brown's Boys - that show is a disgrace compared to Les Dawson, and Les Dawson died 20 years ago! I think we can draw from that that it was intersting to look back but the past should stay where it is - in the same way as the Black and White Minstrels should stay there too.

One person comented, "Les never looked like a woman and thats why it was funny..." If not a woman then what?

There is only a transwoman left, and I think that the general public (in this case invited celebrity friends of Les who commented throughout) simply do not think these things through properly before saying them.

---

CSI- New York
'The Lying Game'
02/06
5 USA

The team investigate the murder of a transgender showgirl, but find the case complicated by the sheer number of suspects. (14/24) [S]

Interesting and a lot of trans cameos - the only downside is that the characters are cliches, why not a transgender District Atorney for once? A bit 'Uncle Tom' in that sense, however, it gave transwomen a job so its the best on telly atm.

---

Celebrity Juice
03/06
ITV2

Ex-supermodel, Janice Dickenson is shown naked in a photo covering her genitals.

Keith asks, "what are you hiding?"
She responds, "My Dick!"

Gets a big laugh - it always does!

---

Extreme Engineering
03/06
QUEST

In the ADBREAK the Pot Noodle Ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz59xxrns2g

Also running atm is this ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C8gW9P4R_w

Both are for the viewer to laugh at obviously.

We have not moved a muscle since these ads and they began a decade ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL02SftjCe4
In thise we were exposed to them cleaning 'you know what' off the windows of sex workers in Amsterdam - well this is to be expected with trans women? (Thats sarcasm BTW).

---

Playhouse Presents... Mr Understood
03/06
Sky Arts 1 HD

In a funny and thought-provoking tale co-created by artist Grayson Perry, a transvestite battling with issues of self-doubt tries to overcome his fears. Playhouse Presents... Mr Understood is a darkly comic and thought-provoking tale co-created by artist Grayson Perry and actress Kate Hardie, who also serves as writer and director. This deeply personal tale follows Gary (Tom Brooke), a young transvestite battling with issues of self-doubt, portrayed through the personification of his inner voice, Frank (Tommy McDonnell).

When Gary decides to emerge from isolation and attend a transvestite disco and beauty night, he overcomes his fears to reveal his true self in public for the first time, facing the mixed reactions of strangers.

As his bravery wanes and terror and doubts set in, an encounter with fellow transvestite Jim (Neil Dudgeon) helps Gary to explore questions of self-acceptance and happiness. But Jim is not without his own insecurities, as his inner voice Linda (Claire Skinner) rarely neglects to remind him.

Well received and the association with Grayson Perry made this something more than another tranSEXploitation drama.
http://skyarts.sky.com/playhouse-presents/mr-understood

---

The Cleveland Show
'The Brown Knight'
04/06
E4

Animated spin-off from Family Guy. Cleveland is wounded when he and Donna are mugged at a cash machine. Roberta thinks she is dying of a mystery illness and uses this to take advantage of Rollo.

Comment

Cleveland crossdresses with a blond wig and dress and stands at a criminal hotspot to prove he is brave.

"I hope I look good enough to rob, but not good enough to rape!"

Having heard the testimony of a trans friend who was raped I think that this is just unnecessary, wonder if the writers of this show's loved ones were raped they have a good old laugh?

Regardless, its again a ''man in a dress' (in this instance) being laughed at...

---

This Morning
05/06
ITV1

News Review section - Where they read this story

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Kong.html

They had a good old laugh about it - Phillip Holly and the Guest News Reviewers.

If he discovered he had cancer would that be funny?

If this is an intersex condition why laugh?

Disappointed. And especially in Phillip and Holly as the 'mask slips', they are usually so good with anything like this.

---

The Cleveland Show
'Gone with the Wind'
05/06
E4

Animated spin-off from Family Guy. After being informed that he has high cholesterol levels, Cleveland turns to a high-fibre diet that has embarrassing consequences, though he recognises that this could work to his advantage in a local karaoke contest.

Comment

He is given a yoghurt endorsed by Jamie-Lee Curtis, and the urban myth she is intersex makes this joke possible.

He is in the van he breaks wind and his colleague driving throws the yoghurt from the van to which he responds, "NO! MY HERMAPHRODITE YOGHURT!!!"

Nuff said.

---

Family Guy
'Boys Do Cry'
05/06
BBC THREE

Animated comedy about the everyday trials and tribulations of American family life. Lois acquires a job as the church organist, so the family decides to begin going back to church. When Stewie is sick after receiving communion, the congregation becomes convinced that he has been possessed by the devil. While on the run, the family ends up in Texas, where Peter begins to fit right in with the cowboys, Stewie enters the Little Miss Texas pageant, and Chris and Meg sneak into George W Bush's house.

Comment

Family Guy's Stewie Character maybe a cartoon baby, but it is voiced and written by adults. So some very dark thoughts operate via this proxy.

In this they use crossdressing to hide Stewie, but then as he is crossdressed why not enter a child pageant? After all Peter and Lois do not have a tiny-tot daughter.

It starts with him wearing a mop and a piece of curtain to fool a police officer at a truckstop gas station. When Stewie is asked about wearing this, he responds, "I feel right Brian!"

This is a good line and one of those rare moments there is hope. But it then descends into the usual direction.

Men or kids in dresses are funny? Tell that to mothers who are suffering with suicidal gender-variant children.

---

David Walliams- Snapshot in Time
06/06
ITV1

Difficult one this.

Try as I might I simply find the whole wearing a dress to get laughs unpalatable. It is very destructive to the transgender community - even if that is not the intention.

David Walliams constant boasting that this was the moment he realised that wearing a dress made the audience scream with laughter at him, lit the fuse to his later comedy - little Britain, being one and the other lesser-known would be in an episode of 'Spaced' where he was described as a tranny.

A transperson behaves more often than not in the opposite way, for them if they are MTF wearing a dress is so exposing that many would simply avoid it lest their secret become known. And why so many transwomen historically have very butch and dangerous occupations, army, police, builders, soldiers etc.

However, this was simply recreating an old photo taken on stage at an all boys school where he played the Queen. He located the others (now grown up of course) across the world to return (except one who sent a photo in a dress and was a cardboard cutout) and invited them back on stage for this 'old boys' reunion and a laugh.

No matter how you play this, from start to finish it was laughing at men in dresses.

So for me, this was very old-fashioned television. It kinda reminded me of Monty Python Old ladies. I just wonder if they had of all blacked-up for a play back then would they still have done it, as that would be funny to many still today.

I suspect they wouldn't have done that.

As a result they shouldn't have aired this either - sorry Dave.

Stick to Roahld Dhal books. As for his constant comments on dresses and getting laughs on 'Britain's Got Talent' saying Simon wears them etc, he can knock that on the head too. Is this all the man has? Laughing at men in dresses?

Annoying.

A man in a dress, or a transwoman in a dress should be taken more seriously - as until it is, the transgender community are royally scr*wed

---

Loose Women
07/06
ITV1

They discuss the David Walliams show the night before.

Carol McGiffin described it as watchable but pointless, Carol has had her moments saying the word 'Tranny' in the past - so a lucky escape there.

But for once I agree with her!

She also said she would like to see Drag act 'Bosom Buddies' Back as the Wild Card - so she is on a roll - I won't spoil it!

Good stuff from Carol!

---

Channel 4's Comedy Gala
07/06
Channel 4+1

Good Things
Alan Carr opened the show and for once was not crossdressed - he danced with Diversity with an AFRO.

Bad things
Sarah Millican - "I am sorry I can't be there but I am having my back waxed and my b*llsack as well." Its a trans gag.
Laughing AT a woman with a 'b*llsack' hmmm who else could it be?

Comment

Sarah sadly is no stranger to transphobia as these past little gems in the past prove

Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow
BBC ONE
"I did toy with the idea of getting some thigh-high boots and fishing for a compliment I asked my sister where would I get thigh-high leather boots? And she replied" - "Well trannies must get them from somewhere!!!" [negative stereotype]

or

8 Out of 10 Cats Christmas Special
Channel 4
Sarah Millican opens a gift - it is a transformer type robot with her head on it.
"I hope it is anatomically correct as I have got a c@ck!

or

Th/e Sarah Millican Television Show
BBC Two
Simon Callow is asked about his acting.
SM - What lengths have you gone to to prepare for a role?
SC - Recently I played a transvestite!
SM - Right! Raises eyebrows and a big studio laugh.
SM - What do you do for that?! Stares at the audience as if to say (bloody hell!)
SC - Laughs out loud, I went to all sorts of interesting places! But when I put the bra on and the high heeled shows and the wig I became a completely different person.

or

New Dave's One Night Stand
Sarah Millican
"I think i am part male and part female, I don't mean i got a little nobble i can't explain!" She goes on...
Hilarious laughter and clapping.

Just do gags about being a middle-aged woman and stay there - the moment you venture into transgender stuff its always just a mess.

She uses transgender as a prop for an otherwise cr*ppy gag.Take away the trans issues from above and you will see what I mean.

Without trans gags 1. I am sorry I cannot be there I am having my back waxed..STOP! 2. Women with large feet must get their boots from somewhere...STOP (No Trannies - not funny). 3. I hope it is anatomically correct...STOP 4. You recently played a transgender perosn. Yes.. Oh STOP (no raised eyebrows no laughter).

It is only when you remove it you can see how dependent she is on it for the laugh.

Yet she sat beside Grayson Perry for an entire interview with Rob Bryson last year - clearly never took anything away from that.

Tiring.

---

Derek
09/06
More 4

Carehome worker sits by bed of dying lady to keep her company.

Picks up magazine and starts reading...

"My secret Penis my Husband never knew about!"

Comment

No matter how you dress this up it is clearly just another trans gag. Ah the good old stand-by, got a joke that's not working out ,need a little boost to your script? Look no further than the trans community to prop you up. Can't sing or not funny? Is your advert not flagging or not working? Get a male to wear a dress and grow five o'clock shadow - you will be quids in!!!

The transgender community proping up sh*te entertainers for 500 years!

---

8 Out of 10 Cats
11/06
E4

Host Jimmy Carr and team captains Sean Lock and Jon Richardson thrash out the hot topics of the week with celebrity guests Melanie C, Tess Daly, Joe Wilkinson and Andrew Maxwell.

Jimmy Carr - "Sean, are there any jobs that women should not be allowed to do?!"
Andrew Maxwell - Jumps in, "A LADYBOY!"
Mel C - "Is that a job?"
Andrew Maxwell - "No I mean it! A woman should not be allowed to masquerade as a Ladyboy! Can you imagine how disappointed you'd be in your hotel room...
Mel C (Spice Girls) Laughs...
Andrew Maxwell - "in Bangkok, hahaha NO C*CK!"
Audience laughs...

Full Review
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3784

---

Celebrity Juice
12/06
ITV2

Alex Reid appears - surprisingly not so much transphobia as when he is absent - interesting!

---

Star Trek- Voyager
13/06
CBS Action

Pot noodle Piri Piri Chicken ad running on all channels.

Nothing wrong with the concept, but why does she have to have stubble.

Not funny otherwise - and 'there it is!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaj_-yc94FA

---

Waterloo Road
13/06
BBC ONE

Ongoing series where an FTM student features. We initially had his main storyline archived as that was the 'big story' but now he is just one of the kids - that's good. But nothing to report. Played by a non transperson Brogan Ellis. Not as good as Victoria Atkin's effort in Hollyoaks, Very 'backgroundy'. Shame they could not have sourced and actual FTM teen - this is a serious issue for our community. No role models for trans yoof. Other than a handful of activists scribbling away.

---

The Cleveland Show
13/06
E4

You are the only Pole dancer I have ever seen with a soul and a wiener, well [clears throat].

---

The Graham Norton Show
14/06
BBC ONE

Russel Crowe - speaks about hiding cigarettes and matches in his pocket as a child and that one match melted the nylon pocket to his leg. The female guest remarks...nylons like [does pulling on stockings action]...Russel remarks..."I wasn't wearing nylons...that came later (big laugh) in the Rocky Horry Show..."

Why is a a man wearing nylons funny at all? And again the Rocky Horror is social excuse to make these gags. Even if many transpeople seize the opportunity to attend the musical 'en femme' - by doing so they are perpetuating the stereotype that creates their social exclusion in the first place. In other words the only reason this is the place they can go is because this creates social mockery of their gender need.

Whatever the case, its a laugh at the throught of a man wearing women's clothes.

Boring! And so old-fashioned.

---

Embarrassing Bodies
15/06
More 4

Labiaplasty for a girl with unsightly labia - not trans but applicable.

---

Futurama
'The Wild Green Yonder'
16/06
Pick TV

Feature-length episode of the futuristic cartoon comedy. The Planet Express crew head to Mars Vegas, where Fry develops the ability to hear people's thoughts.

Male voice for female character...

Followed by

Futurama
'Bender's Game'
16/06
Pick TV

Bender who thinks he is a knight speaks to a robot hooker, this is perhaps the first transgender robot hooker cartoon character. He suggest he cross 'swords' with her and calles he a 'man-wench'.

Not sure what to say about this as this new series of Futurama is quite trans positive - especially when compared to the Simpsons from the same stable of Groenig.

Later Hermes appears as 'Hermaphrodite' - nuff said.

This is a repeat if you want to know more about this and why it won our best cartoon series last year click here.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3450

---

Secret Diary Of a She-Male 1
17/06
Television X

It might be scrambled but the title isn't in the general TV listings.

---

The Cleveland Show
'You're the Best Man Cleveland Brown'
17/06
E4

Animated spin-off from Family Guy. Cleveland's parents reveal that they plan to re-marry and would like Cleveland to be the best man.

When Cleveland's father thinks about all the children he has secretly parented in a montage, the only trans one is leaning into a car looking for business. That was a missed opportunity, as they could have had one of 'the boys' as a beautiful woman getting married or something else like a high court judge.

Lazy!

---

Embarrassing Bodies
19/06
Really

The Jenny Bishop Special.

Where Manchester activist and friend Jenny (who has since spoken to us about her experience) was originally going to have her genital surgery filmed. but as that had already been done by the time of the filming, they offered her a breast augmentation and Facial Feminisation surgery - which to be fair was a far great deal more monetarily!

She was thrilled with the results. And perhaps one of the best trans-focused EB shows ever.

---

Ladyboy Training 1
20/06
Television X

18-year-old sex addict Holly Harlow is a gorgeous ladyboy and Keisha Kane makes sure she shows her the ropes as she enters a house where sex is always on the menu.

Comment

Two nights in a row for the 'Ladyboy' listings. This would not be an issue as it is scrambled but it is in the television listings and thus freely available on Freesat, Windows Media Center and magazines TV listings etc.

Also the few times this month an actual transperson rears their head in the TV listings they are an '18 year old sex addict...'

---

The Simpsons
'Homer the Moe'
20/06
Channel 4

Moe turns the bar into a hang-out for Springfield's beautiful people, forcing Homer to open a bar of his own in his garage. With the guest voices and music of REM.

They sing - #"Homers a big Jerk and a She-Male too!"

Comment

Ahh the infamous 'Homer the Moe' episode keeps coming around again and again. Pre-watershed. Using the term Sh-Male as an insult.

Come on Channel 4 what happened to your promise to stop objectifying our community - or just empty promises you cannot control?

---

Quick Cuts - Episode 1
20/06 - 1:30AM

Sue chucks Trevor out, Marianne is choosing breasts, Gavin is sick on a pigeon, Becky is stalking her lover and Annie has a blind date with someone with an unusual problem. Trying to juggle all these problems and a shop full of customers is not easy for Sue, especially when a giant chipmunk wearing a fez and holding an axe shows up.

Comedy, Sitcoms, Sketch, Duration 30 minutes

Comment

Actress Jane Dowden plays Marianne who startlingly resembles what can only be described as a blend between the late Chrisie Edkins and a Jackie Green-A-like (albeit a little older - see picture comparison).

Image (Images: bbc/ Chrisie Edkins).

The Irony is the girls Left Chrisie and Right Jackie (With Actress Jane in the middle) are actually better looking - if that has any bearing on the issue.

I think it is obvious that these transwomen have influenced the casting as they have very public profiles to compare and contrast to.

So in this instance choosing them is a good thing as she could equally have been a unshaven lump (see most crossdressing advertisements on telly at the moment)...

However, this same 'look' was used in Hit and Miss for the Lead and very similar to Mrs In-betweeny.

http://blog.transgenderzone.com/?p=790 - see our review.

So The fact that transwomen can look and pass as women visually, is obviously not the issue here. So it must be some other reason they are not being cast. And this is what the BBC should be working on.

I suspect the thoughts running through a script writer's mind is they have to be a 'certain' type of woman that could have been 'male' at some point. But pretty enough to attract a mate who is not gay... It's quite a complex thought pattern. But this then tends to lead to very similar types of women being cast as transwomen of late.

Back story - tell me about your genitals...

The character who is pestered by an interested male admirer about her past gender deals with it quite well. It turns out she is trans.

We hear all the regular themes like, the chap asks if she has big feet? "Size 7," she remarks... The actress chosen is tall to they then use football teams such as 'Man City' as metaphors, to make light of the issue. Wonder if they would have done the same if she was mixed race and he was asking if she was 'really black'?

Then later we see her Google for breasts. She does the make-up for a friend who is going on a blind date and she is over made-up by her like a drag queen...

No matter how nicely they handle the issue, as we have seen sensitive portrayals in the past from 'Mrs In-Betweeny', to 'TransAmerica' to Hayley on Corrie, even Sky Atlantic's 'Hit and Miss' which despite her being a clishe of a sociopath does make her 'nice' to her family. We have seen Neil Morrissey in 'Hunting Venus' and many, many others where trans come out of it well, we have over 10 Terabytes of television clips and programmes sat here for reference. However, none of these were played by a transperson, other Than Eddie Izzard in 'All the Queens Men' - it is a trans wasteland out there.

So what on earth the BBC are thinking doing this yet again goodness only knows. For this alone its a fail. Even if they throw garlands of flowers at her feet in every episode - it is a fail.

So, again sadly no transperson playing this character, and to be fair the role didn't really require an Olivier Award - so what is the problem with the BBC and production companies and their resistance to hiring or nurturing trans talent?

The first ones to do it will clean up - as the publicity and promotions and invitations on the chat show circuit will give that company such social power for doing it they will never look back and change television forever.

So a case of using trans currency for their own ends rather than forwarding ours.

To be fair to Jane (the actress) she doesn't do a half-bad job, rather this would have been better played by a transperson in 2013.

Sorry BBC - Close but no cigar!

Just another lost opportunity to add to all the rest in the pile.

Image 3/5 TZ Stars - Average.

More...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3807

---

Russell Howard's Good News
21/06
BBC THREE

"I can get you a really filthy party girl!!!"

Shows a Chinese male comic Jit Loi Chong aka Mr. Cheeky Chappie. Goofing around in a bra

Big laugh.

Then with another news story says, "Anyone out there who is looking for a new best mate, I've got just the person!"

Another BIG laugh as he waves in a bra.

Comment

What is funny here? The racial stereotype or the crossdressing? - you decide. The man in question 'owns' his identity and it is not for me to be offended on his community's behalf. But the crossdressing is bolted-on to push it our way. In other words without the bra you are laughing at someone from the Far East. And that's just not going to work. So best put him in a bra and then the gag goes somewhere else where there is less likely to be any outcry, after all what are transpeople gunna do?

Yeah by now the dust has settled from their infamous 'Ladyboy Airline Sketch' - the dust never settles.

Again the BBC fail. And Russell shows just how desperate he is to get a laugh at a minority's expense.

---

The Wright Stuff
21/06
Channel 5

This was not in the Wright Stuff rather in the ad break.

A silly song has returned from a long time ago with a minor change mentioning 'Aldi' supermarket.

Kids used to sing this in the playground at school, and usually at the effeminate looking boys, so it does have some trans danger and potential for bullying.

The advert is for the Walls Cornetto. Kids are bound to latch on again to it as they did last time around!

A Male Gondola singer is singing to a perfectly presentable woman.

#"She likes this ice cream of Italy!"
#"And likes this Ice Cream it's from Aldi!"
#"De problem! As you will see!!!"
#"This lovely lady!"
#"She looks like me!"

Perhaps its nothing but it just reminded me that the little things can have an affect.

---

During the ad break we see this advert.

Embarrassing Bodies
20/06
Really

FAIRFX.com Advertisment

We see a crossdressed cabin crew MTF doing the pre flight demonstration. The character does not speak, and the term transgender is not mentioned, the character is also clean-shaven and well made-up. I also like the fact they chose a 'normal' looking woman as a style rather than some 'sexpot'.

Now, if this person is a transperson and has got a job based on that, then the ad agency should be applauded even if its a bit of goofing off involved. If this is indeed the case the ad agency should contact us and tell us all about it as should the individual featured. This could well be a coup for them and something to be proud of - its that simple! As they get the same ad either way.

However, if this is a 'cleaver way' to get around the 'Paddy Power mistakes' in other words avoid the term transgender and make sure they don't have a beard like many other ads do - that we object to, then the trans community will not say a word. Thats nonsense, in this instance it is a cynical way to create interest in a product by exploiting the transgender community in an ad that to be fair were it not for this crossdressed charecter no-one would notice! And without employing a transgender person for the role.

To then make them goof about and basically make a tit of themselves all ads weight to the main reason for going in this direction. It's cheap and memorable, but then again so is a massacre.

ImageReally/FAIRFX

---

The Simpsons
'The Parent Rap'
21/06
Channel 4

When Bart ends up in court on joyriding charges, a stern judge rules that Homer and Bart must be tethered together. With the guest voice of Jane Kaczmarek.

The female judge remarks, "I was like that when I was a boy!"
Had they left it there it would have sufficed.
But dumbing-down of television means they have to mention it again, and the usual regular criminal 'Snake' who is also there in handcuffs remarks..."Did she just say she used to be a dude?!!!"

The only reason for this second comment is to squeeze out another laugh at the situation.

---

Embarrassing Bodies
22/06
More 4

We see a bio female who has an Adam's Apple get it removed by ENT specialist surgeon Mr Guri Sandhau at Charing Cross Hospital.

As noted in the programme the bulk of his Chondrolaryngoplasty is done on transgender patients. But not this time. We see the procedure in full and this was interesting, especially for those thinking about having this surgery.

Good episode - it is a shame transpeople are only really of value to this show and their ailments generally. This does tie up transpeople within the Bio-medical model and that there is something 'wrong' with them,

This is a good one though.

In this episode we also see Gynocomastia discussed and this is something relevant to not only transmen and their problems with hiding breast tissue but also with many trans women through adolescence.

ImageMore 4

ImageMore 4

---

The Listening Project
23/06
BBC Radio 4

Fi Glover introduces conversations about dealing with leukaemia and about living as a transgender woman, surprising listeners with the unexpected turn each conversations takes.

---

Mock the Week
23/06
BBC TWO

Comic - Gary Delaney -
"I once had a one night stand, and I didn't get an erection, that isn't cool, luckily the woman I was with was very understanding. She said, "Don't worry(!), that used to happen to me!"

[Laughter].

---

This Morning
24/06
ITV1

Trans lad talks about getting his puberty blockers with his mum to Holly and Phillip.

Very nicely done.

---

Secret Diary Of A She-Male 2
24/06
Television X

Transsexual Girlfriend Experience: A frustrated guy has always wanted to sample the delights of a lovely ladyboy, and now is his chance. Go on, give it a try. [SIC]

Comment

Again although scrambled the listing is not - and give 'IT' a try says it all... She-Male....Ladyboy...

---

Secret Lives of Women
25/06
COMMUNITY

Transsexuals: Meet Cristina Juanes. Cristina has a secret - she used to be a man. She details her journey and how her life is changing both physically and emotionally.

Comment

Now 8 years ago, but, still a lovely story where we follow a US family come to terms with a family member's transition MTF. It includes her trip to Thailand for GRS and FFS.

Very nice programme, very good outcome, nice reaction from elderly mum and family and friends at the 'unveiling' and a trans woman over 50! That's nice too.

Great Job from the 'Community Channel' listing this under the title 'Secret Lives of Women'.

Full Marks!

---

Stardust (2007)
25/06
Film4

Robert Deniro plays a rough captain with a penchant for glamourous dresses he keeps secret from his crew.

---

Quick Cuts
26/06
BBC FOUR

2/3. Sitcom/sketch series. Trevor fakes his own death, Gav sends filthy texts to the wrong person, Annie has a romantic encounter and Sue turns down a proposal. Contains some strong language. [AD,S]

Comment

Rather than go into details here is some dialogue where Marianne the transgirl is on camera.

Imagebbc

"Stop scratching your balls Marrianne!"

Imagebbc

"I do definitely recognise you from somewhere..."

Imagebbc

"Oi! Oi! Show us your balls!"

Imagebbc

"They are bigger than yours! They have to be [for me] walking around like this!"

Imagebbc

Girl to Marianne - "I am not a maniac!"
Marianne - "Says the girl dressed as a nurse."
Girl - "Says the bloke dressed as a woman!"

Imagebbc

The girl then grabs the Marianne's hair and violently knees her in the genitals.

Imagebbc
Great work BBC! - NOT!

This is what the BBC have learned from all their investment with the trans community.

It really is a face-palm list of fails - not a lot more to say really. Plus she isn't even a trans actress!

---

Ladyboy Training 2
27/06
Television X

Again this maybe scrambled but the listing is not.

It reads, "Having passed her audition, tasty 18+ girl Holly gets it on with Keisha Kane and the handsome Paolo, who swings more ways than a Robbie Williams party album!"

Porn is corny we all know that - but this sat in a general family listings just seems odd. A bit like opening a newspaper in the dentists or The Tube and seeing a naked girl looking back.

---

Celebrity Juice
27/06
ITV2

Keith (Leigh Francis) "So as this is a pop special Fern will you be popping one of your b*llocks out?"

Comment

A prime case of 'trans-Stooge' (A term I coined to describe transpobia by proxy), Fern Cotton is not trans, had she been, this would be offensive, because she is not it is apparently acceptable to laugh at this issue. This is actually a very distressing subject for many transgender women, it creates considerable angst and upset as they are often severely body dysmorphic, this situation can occur when out and about, and can only be described as similar shame and humiliation to wetting oneself or worse.

What is funny about that? Of course they do not think of all this when they pen their tawdry wares.

Maybe it is time they should?

I am not a big fan of Leigh Francis, I am amazed that his antics have not led to arrest. It will only take one girl to feel violated and it will be all over. I wish him well - just leave transpeople alone as you do not know what you are talking about, and offend us practically every time.

---

Lorraine
28/06
ITV1

About Aj McClean of the Back Street Boys...

Ross King - "In the middle of the evening he came out wearing a Spanish dress! When I asked him why(?), he just said, cos he thought it would be funny! So he was actually wearing a dress at his wedding!

Kate Garraway - "OK! One way to break a 'certain bit of news' to your wife eh? Blimey!"

When they are not shocked or laughing we will have won!

---

Big Brother
28/06
Channel 5
and
Big Brother's Bit on the Side
28/06
Channel 5

Rare slip for Big Brother when Dexter explained that he wore stockings and had crossdressed in the past, there was a lot of giggling and negative comments from the housemates.

He said, he performed for paying voyeurs, but he said he wanted to be a drag queen as a child and has crossdressed in the past.

Emma said in the link - "I don't think I will ever look at Dexter the same way or my stockings."

Truth is it is all daft really - how come she can wear them and not Dexter?

As many a transitioned transwomen will say it is all daft really, as they are the same inside as they were before they have just decorated their externals to satisfy society.

This was later reinforced by 'Bit on the Side' - presented by Rylan and Co (Not Emma) when they said for a link ...

Later in Bit on the Side they could not let this drop...

Rylans - "Welcome back to Big Brother's Bit on the Side, we hope you are sat there in a pair of stockings getting 'off' to us!"

Dexter is quite a complicated character, and until we know what happened here its all bit dodgy to be making comments bordering on transphobia for laughs in this way.

It could be Dexter is playing up to the fact that being camp helps, as does being trans - historically very popular characters have been trans.

It could be he was manipulated or abused into this, he said he was a gambling addict, this is a 'disease' to many, and as such may have driven him to desperate acts, as many a prostitute with a drug addiction will maintain, or it could be his just exploited anything (lies) to make some coin and be 'interesting' in the house.

Nevertheless, the idea that crossdressers are wearing stockings and masturbating watching the show sends out that uncomfortable image. I mean some probably do (who knows?), but some do not, but all trans are tarred with this sort of comment. It is not the end of the world, but it was just a bit uncomfortable how people reacted. It reminded me very much of when Vinnie Jones interrogated Alex Reid about his crossdessing and made Alex actually feel ashamed and embarrassed. That's horrible to watch even till this day - WHY should Alex be ashamed(?), that's part of who he is.

Again when we saw how quickly they dealt with racial comments earlier last week, yet anything trans seems OK.

Endemol (the production company) just need to be a little more careful with what may at first appear to be minor issues, they have a wider effect. Rather than excitedly seizing anything 'pervy' on what can be a dull 24hrs.

Being trans is not just transitioning or transitioned transsexuals, it covers a huge spectrum.

---

The Graham Norton Show
28/06
BBC ONE

Sandra Bullock - 'The Heat'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404463/

Unusual one this as it is not actually to do with his (Graham Norton who has been good this season) show rather the clip he has shown regarding the new movie by Sandra Bullock in her new movie, 'The Heat'.

Again it is 'Trans-stooge' (a term I coined to describe either transphobia by proxy or targetted at non trans characters).

Here is the dialogue:

Sandra sits down and speaks to a family at a dining table:
The mother asks:

"Are you a boy or a girl?"
"How do you get that close a shave on your face?"

bbc/fox

Comment

Not funny in the film, but the audience laughed as did the guests.

Why?

---

Celebrity Juice
28/06
ITV2

The episode where he mocks Alex Reid by pretending to be Chantelle (his ex and mother to his child), Keith Lemon (Leigh Francis) talks about crossdressing and in a very nasty way - ironic when he himself is sat there dressed as a woman!

Just nasty...

---

The Simpsons
'Homer's Triple Bypass'
29/06
Channel 4

Homer is told he needs a triple heart bypass and has to hire the cheapest surgeon in town.

Barney Gumble - "I was against it! But then I thought if Homer wants to be a woman the so be it!
Homer - Barney I'm not getting a sex-change!
Barney - WHAAAATTT!!! So what the hell am I supposed to do with this Jumbo Thong Bikini!!!

Comment

One of the few times the Simpsons manages not to offend. Although the term Sex-change sadly tend to be used else the viewers will not understand the joke. I don't think that term will ever go away...Not in this life-time anyhow...

---

Your Face Sounds Familiar
ITV1
29/06

Alesha Dixon and Paddy McGuinness host the new comedy entertainment series in which six celebrities attempt to transform themselves into some of music's biggest superstars.

Comment

This is one to watch - as they have a lucky dip where men and women may have to sing as celebrity vocalists not of their gender.

Next week, Matt Johnson has to perform as Taylor Swift!

This can go one of two ways - taken seriously and applauded.

Or as I suspect will end up as a rowdy wolf-whistling comedic material dream for the presenters, judges and audience.

---

Mock the Week
29/06
BBC Two

Chris Addison -

"And now I can completely fit into the bikini! Of course sometimes my c*ck flops out but...." [Laughter].

---

Ladyboys
29/06
Pick TV

'The Men Who Love Ladyboys'

Following on from the acclaimed documentary exploring the world of Thailand's ladyboys [archived], this thought-provoking series offers further insight into a sector of Thai society that makes up one per cent of the country's population. [SIC]

Comment

First shown in 2011 on Sky Living (made by Sky News HD) and now on Freeview Pick TV.

This programme followed the lives of a number of transsexual women, both Thai and US patients.

We also hear the story of a British man who now lives with a trans Thai woman with his mother's blessing.

The voice over was careful with descriptives and even stated that the transsexuals IN Thailand are self-described as 'Ladyboys' for the tourists etc... Outside of Thailand sadly it is used as a term to abuse and to mock transpeople of course.

I thought this was a very good programme, it was carefully scripted, the people in the programmes from those appearing in the most glamourous event of 'Miss Tiffany Universe', and stunningly beautiful transgirls they are too, to a transwoman Town Chief who was elected as she does the job better than anyone else, even vaccinating stray dogs and ridding the area of snakes, to a Thai Mother with two transsexual daughters and proudly looking forward to her second daughter having the same operation as the first a few years earlier :), to the smiles and tears of those having surgery from the West with their hopes and dreams for the future. It does not gloss-over the serious issues of exploitation and the sex trade either, it also examined that many would, if they could, stop tomorrow, if only they could find a steady boyfriend who could support them. It also examines the religious issues and how accepting Buddhism is of this lifestyle. And it followed a girl who thought her old village life may have been better, only to realise that she was isolated out of Bangkok and quickly returned to the showbar.

What is there not to like?

Trans voices both positive and a few negative, but well balanced in transpeople's favour.

One of the best programmes of the year - so far!

The irony is 10 years ago this would have been something Channel 4 would have broadcast - we have a number of similar programmes that we captured from their very channel from around the world all those years ago - now instead, they opt for just relentless abuse and mockery of our community.

Fortunately for us Sky commissioned this - well done Sky!

Top stuff!!!

A few screen shots - add it to your DVR/Sky+ keywords and look out for a repeat.

ImageSky
Miss Tiffany Pageant
ImageSky
Arriving from the US for their dream
ImageSky
A chat with the surgeon
ImageSky
ImageSky

ImageSky
ImageSky
Earning extra tips posing with tourists at the Tiffany Follies

ImageSky
Even for the very beautiful and famous it is not all plain sailing! Thailand's most famous transsexual Nok Yollanda (Business woman and Television Presenter) talks about the fact that she is still not a woman on her id and cannot marry as one.
ImageSky
ImageSky
"What I gonna do if I be in jail? They gonna let us in man jail or woman jail?"

ImageSky
Love Story

ImageSky
ImageSky
Surgery Result!

Image 5/5 TZ Stars - Excellent!

---

Big Brother
30/06
Channel 5

The boys get a cross-dressing party much to the chagrin of the girl housemates who had to watch through the window at the party they should have had, A girlie pajama party etc.

The boys of course over-egged it and minced about playing up.

I think they secretly loved it really ;)

cHANNEL 5/Endemol

cAHNNEL5/Endemol

Great photo with a housemate jealously looking on... This is what it is like when women lose their femininity to men - they are void.

---

So endeth another month of happy transempowering television - yeah right - see you next time!

Don't have nightmares - I mean there is an editor right now putting together then next transabuse. :roll:
Disclaimer!!!! Please Read! http://media.transgenderzone.com/?page_id=2

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have." M.Mead

Man [...] must count no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth." - J.P.Sartre.

Who am I?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Pueraria Mirifica Breast Enhancement

Return to “UK Monthly Transgender Television Log”